2021-2022 Hofstra (Zucker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @eleanorroosevelt for sharing this year's essay prompts!

2021-2022 Hofstra (Zucker) Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. If you are currently not a matriculated student, please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now.
(1500 characters)

2. If your undergraduate education was interrupted for any reason and you were not enrolled in classes, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time. This does not include time between programs post-graduation. (1500 characters)

3. Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenged. (1500 characters)

4. Given the COVID-19 pandemic, we are aware that there may be certain challenges you have encountered during the application process. Please use this space to describe any of those challenges.
(optional, 1500 characters).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a graduate of the Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra, and I am writing with a strong recommendation not to apply to this school. Now that Step 1 is pass/fail, while Step 2 remains scored, the ZSOM curriculum disserves students and disadvantages them in their residency applications.

The trend in academic medicine generally is to reduce the length of time of the preclinical curriculum. This development is a good one. Medical education in the U.S. takes longer than elsewhere in the world, and the additional years contribute to rising costs of health care. Also, the preclinical curriculum is fundamentally preparation for Step 1. Now that Step 1 is pass/fail, it will not have the same importance in residency selection that it had in the past. For these and other reasons, schools offer accelerated three-year MDs, as well as preclinical curricula that are completed in 15 months or less, giving students 3 months of dedicated independent study time for Step 1 and advancing them to their clinical curriculum within 18 months or less.

Starting the clinical curriculum as early as possible is a significant advantage for residency selection, as well as for Step 2. With Step 1 being pass/fail, scores on Step 2 will assume a new importance, as residency programs will be looking at Step 2 scores as an objective measure to distinguish students. Programs that offer students clinical rotations in the largest range of areas, require students to take the greatest number of shelf exams, and have time for longer rotations in surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, and internal medicine, serve students best. Students with the broadest clinical exposure are less likely to remain undecided on their area of specialization. Shelf exam scores are among the best indicators of how students will do on Step 2, and students with more shelf exam scores and extensive clinical experience are best positioned to excel on Step 2.

By every measure set forth above, ZSOM fails students. Bucking the general trend in academic medicine, ZSOM has a long preclinical curriculum (100 weeks, which is two years). One reason the curriculum is so time consuming is that it includes a time-wasting and inefficient small-group component, called PEARLS. PEARLS requires six-hours of in-person small group time each week (in addition to hours of independent study and preparation). Around two of those hours are wasted on the non-substantive activity of making “learning objectives,” which occupies each Monday to the exclusion of substantive work. At least twenty additional minutes of PEARLS time are wasted by the ritual that closes every PEARLS session, which requires students to “self-assess” themselves in front of their classmates. In sum, around two hours and forty minutes of the six hours of PEARLS small group sessions are non-substantive and a poor allocation of students’ time.

Beyond the issue of time-wasting, the PEARLS small groups have a larger problem: they do not include a content expert. They are moderated by a physician who is there to supervise the students for “professionalism,” but they have no substantive expertise in the subject matter. The students themselves are the closest thing to a “content expert” in the room. These students—college graduates without teaching certification—are not qualified to teach elementary or high school science, and yet they’re the only resource available in these small group sessions for teaching medical school science. Of course, the students are frequently wrong. ZSOM administrators say they are happy if students glean 80% of the information they’re supposed to learn from the PEARLS sessions, but students have no way of knowing if the information they think they know, or that their classmates are presenting, is correct. Attempting to sort the incorrect information circulated by your non-expert peers from the correct information on which you’ll be tested consumes a tremendous additional amount of time that could be more productively spent.

Another reason the ZSOM preclinical curriculum is so long is that it delivers unrelated content simultaneously in a manner that it very confusing. For example, in the second block, called “Biological Imperative,” students are expected to learn genetics, cancer and chemotherapy, hematology, endocrinology, and the anatomy of the pelvis and gonads. Students are so confused coming out of two years of this smorgasbord approach that a significant percentage (20% or more) need to delay the start of their third year to continue studying for Step 1. Unlike other schools which offer three months of dedicated study time, ZSOM offers 6 weeks, and for many students, this time is inadequate. ZSOM recently changed its policy to require students needing additional time to study for Step 1 to take a year off, further prolonging medical school.

As a consequence of the time wasted in the preclinical curriculum, the clinical curriculum at ZSOM is abbreviated. Students take only six required six-week rotations and three elective two-week rotations (one of which has to be an elective within Internal Medicine). The six required rotations—for which students take a shelf exam—are Internal Medicine, Surgery, Psychiatry, Neurology, Pediatrics, and Ob-Gyn. Students do not take the shelf exams in Family Medicine or Emergency Medicine. Moreover, six weeks for Surgery and Ob-Gyn tend not to be enough (many schools offer eight or twelve week rotations in these areas). ZSOM additionally wastes four whole weeks of its clinical curriculum on orientation, “transition” to third year, and “core learning”—week-long curricula on the opioid epidemic and social determinants of health (worthwhile topics, but handled in a manner that makes them—again—a poor allocation of your time).

Because the third year curriculum at ZSOM is inadequate in length and breadth, ZSOM piles on onerous requirements in the fourth year. Students are required to complete three sub-internships in Emergency Medicine, ICU, and Internal Medicine, regardless of their residency choice. (In other words, if a student is applying for Psychiatry, the student will have to do four sub-internships in the fourth year, one for Psychiatry, and the other required three.)

The upshot of the ZSOM curriculum is that students’ time is unwisely allocated. Students spend two years studying inefficiently for Step 1, a pass/fail exam, and then have only ten and a half months (six six-week rotations and three two-week rotations) to prepare for Step 2, the score on which will weigh heavily on their residency application. Students are additionally hobbled in their fourth year in their transition to residency because ZSOM’s onerous fourth year requirements interfere with the student’s ability to schedule a fourth year that best prepares the student for residency.

An additional twist arises with the cancellation of Step 2 CS. Although students no longer need to take this exam, ZSOM places inordinate weight on your grades in your third year Observed Simulated Clinical Exam. At many, if not most, schools, OSCE grades are 10% of your grade; at ZSOM, they are 25%. ZSOM has cultivated its own OSCE culture—which is not to the student’s benefit. In my experience, the OSCE scenarios tend to be unfair, the standardized patients tend to be ruthless to the students, and the grading rubric places emphasis on recitation of approved “patient-speak” (e.g., “Tell me more,” “What do you think is causing your symptoms”). ZSOM OSCE did not help me prepare for patient care; and now that Step 2 CS has been cancelled, ZSOM’s OSCE is mostly an exercise in time-wasting. Many students find their third-year grades eroded by their OSCE grades, which diminishes their competitiveness for residency without benefit to the student.

Applying to medical school is time-consuming and expensive, and I want applicants to be in the best position possible to gain acceptance at a school where they will be supported. Making this information known to applicants is, in my view, a public service. My strong recommendation is to apply to medical schools that give students the greatest foundation for success. Apply to schools with short preclinical curricula, long clinical curricula, ample time for independent study for Step 1 and Step 2, and a minimum of fourth year requirements. As ZSOM fails every one of these criteria, I recommend that you save your application money and apply elsewhere.

Reactions: 6 users
As a recent graduate from ZSOM, I cannot more strongly disagree with almost every point made by one of my bitter classmates.

While the 2-year preclinical rotation is longer than some other programs, the structure of the courses left me feeling incredibly well-prepared for Step 1, Step 2, and clinical rotations.

Courses are not taught by body system and topic specifically - they are taught around ideas that all tie together. Rather than doing anatomy, then physiology, then pathology, all of these areas are taught together. You learn about the GI tract (anatomy, physiology, histology, pathology), nutrition, metabolism, etc. all at once. It makes so much sense! It is less confusing than doing GI anatomy today, GI histology next month, GI pathology in 5 months, etc.

Then, there is PEARLS. While every student leaves PEARLS frustrated at times, the struggle to grapple with material on your own makes you remember it better, the team-based skills are vital for working with medical teams, and the opportunity to present complex medical topics multiple times per week is incredible preparation for clinical rotations. Time is certainly not “wasted” and it is, in my opinion, and excellent way to teach both content and people-skills.

It is unfortunate that the individual above feels that their time was wasted acquiring an MD. I, personally, know very many classmates who scored >250 on step 1, >260 on step 2, and were incredibly happy with their medical school experience and match. Please do not let the opinion of one bitter student influence your application process - you will find those types of people everywhere.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight. But my god, that's atrocious... is there talk of revamping the curriculum anytime soon to cater towards earlier clerkships and more emphasis on Step 2 CK? The traditional 2+2 curriculums are a major turn-off for me and something others should account for when making decisions about where to attend. And that PEARLS bs sounds like an absolute joke lmao. Hope you matched your preferred!
So far as I am aware, at this time, the administration is committed to its curriculum, including--as you put it--the "PEARLS bs." Indeed, in my experience, the administration is rigid and turns a deaf ear to student concerns about the curriculum. Their attitude, as more than once stated to me, is: this is what we require, you have to do it. That messaging is consistent with the school's culture, which is, in my view, paternalistic and condescending. For many students, myself included, the environment is not conducive to learning. I am glad that you are focused on the 2+2 curriculums and see them as a major turn-off; I am concerned that not enough applicants are aware of the situation and may not know how to assess medical school curricula. Awareness is empowerment for applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the insight. But my god, that's atrocious... is there talk of revamping the curriculum anytime soon to cater towards earlier clerkships and more emphasis on Step 2 CK? The traditional 2+2 curriculums are a major turn-off for me and something others should account for when making decisions about where to attend. And that PEARLS bs sounds like an absolute joke lmao. Hope you matched your preferred!
So far as I am aware, the administration is committed to its curriculum, including--as you put it--the "PEARLS bs." In my experience, the administration is rigid and turns a deaf ear to student concerns about the curriculum. The message conveyed, more than once to me, is: this is what we require, you have to do it. This attitude is consistent with the school's culture, which is, in my view, paternalistic and condescending. Many students, myself included, experience the environment as unsupportive for learning. I am glad that you are focused on the 2+2 curricula and find them a major turn-off; I have been concerned that applicants are insufficiently aware of the situation and may not know how to assess medical school curricula. Awareness is empowerment for applicants.

As a recent graduate from ZSOM, I cannot more strongly disagree with almost every point made by one of my bitter classmates.

While the 2-year preclinical rotation is longer than some other programs, the structure of the courses left me feeling incredibly well-prepared for Step 1, Step 2, and clinical rotations.

Courses are not taught by body system and topic specifically - they are taught around ideas that all tie together. Rather than doing anatomy, then physiology, then pathology, all of these areas are taught together. You learn about the GI tract (anatomy, physiology, histology, pathology), nutrition, metabolism, etc. all at once. It makes so much sense! It is less confusing than doing GI anatomy today, GI histology next month, GI pathology in 5 months, etc.

Then, there is PEARLS. While every student leaves PEARLS frustrated at times, the struggle to grapple with material on your own makes you remember it better, the team-based skills are vital for working with medical teams, and the opportunity to present complex medical topics multiple times per week is incredible preparation for clinical rotations. Time is certainly not “wasted” and it is, in my opinion, and excellent way to teach both content and people-skills.

It is unfortunate that the individual above feels that their time was wasted acquiring an MD. I, personally, know very many classmates who scored >250 on step 1, >260 on step 2, and were incredibly happy with their medical school experience and match. Please do not let the opinion of one bitter student influence your application process - you will find those types of people everywhere.
Postmed1234's post reads like marketing that ZSOM provides. ZSOM is entitled to its marketing narrative, and Postmed1234 is entitled to his/her/their experience. My post details facts about the curriculum content and structure for applicants to assess. It's not based on bitterness. I matched at my top choice and am extremely happy. I wrote to provide transparency and to empower applicants in this tough process. Applying to medical school is expensive and energy-intensive, and applicants often have to make their decisions without the information they need. I encourage applicants to be skeptical of what Ultravox Vienna described in the previous post as "traditional 2+2" curricula and to ask questions about the content and structure of medical school curricula. The curriculum determines a great deal about the learning experience, and everyone learns differently. It may be best for applicants to go to schools that are supportive of how a student learns, however that may be, and however that may depart from the curriculum on offer.

Reactions: 1 users
Postmed1234's post reads like marketing that ZSOM provides. ZSOM is entitled to its marketing narrative, and Postmed1234 is entitled to his/her/their experience. My post details facts about the curriculum content and structure for applicants to assess. It's not based on bitterness. I matched at my top choice and am extremely happy. I wrote to provide transparency and to empower applicants in this tough process. Applying to medical school is expensive and energy-intensive, and applicants often have to make their decisions without the information they need. I encourage applicants to be skeptical of what Ultravox Vienna described in the previous post as "traditional 2+2" curricula and to ask questions about the content and structure of medical school curricula. The curriculum determines a great deal about the learning experience, and everyone learns differently. It may be best for applicants to go to schools that are supportive of how a student learns, however that may be, and however that may depart from the curriculum on offer.
It’s nice that 06wolf is attempting to guide applicants to find a curricular structure that best suits their learning style, while making comments such as “by every measure set forth above, ZSOM fails students” and “as ZSOM fails every one of these criteria, I recommend that you save your application money and apply elsewhere.” That certainly isn’t a post providing transparency, it’s a personal vendetta being aired out on Student Doctor Network - quite an immature first action as a new MD. Claiming that a student’s positive experience at the school is a “marketing narrative” while sharing personal negative experiences is a kind service to applicants just shows how disillusioned this individual is.

The administration turning a deaf ear to student concerns is an almost laughable comment, as students often joke about the abundance of feedback and surveys we are requested to provide. There are committees of students and faculty that meet on a monthly basis, dedicated to reforming course structure and individual sessions for successive classes. And faculty are willing to meet with individual students at any time, to discuss anything - from challenging content to concerns about the effectiveness of a particular PEARLS case.

Individuals in every class at every medical school will have concerns that they share with administration; some, however, do so in an incredibly antagonistic manner, sowing discord among both classmates and faculty. People being unwilling to work closely with students like this are not “turning a deaf ear,” they are expecting and requiring professional students to take more mature and professional routes to resolve conflict healthily. As evidenced by the nature of the comments above, 06wolf does not take such routes to share concerns.

Criticizing an institution with blatant bias on a public forum and broadly encouraging students to not apply, just because the curricular structure didn’t work well for your learning style, is inappropriate and unfair to every premedical student who is seeking legitimate advice.

It’s nice that 06wolf is attempting to guide applicants to find a curricular structure that best suits their learning style, while making comments such as “by every measure set forth above, ZSOM fails students” and “as ZSOM fails every one of these criteria, I recommend that you save your application money and apply elsewhere.” That certainly isn’t a post providing transparency, it’s a personal vendetta being aired out on Student Doctor Network - quite an immature first action as a new MD. Claiming that a student’s positive experience at the school is a “marketing narrative” while sharing personal negative experiences is a kind service to applicants just shows how disillusioned this individual is.

The administration turning a deaf ear to student concerns is an almost laughable comment, as students often joke about the abundance of feedback and surveys we are requested to provide. There are committees of students and faculty that meet on a monthly basis, dedicated to reforming course structure and individual sessions for successive classes. And faculty are willing to meet with individual students at any time, to discuss anything - from challenging content to concerns about the effectiveness of a particular PEARLS case.

Individuals in every class at every medical school will have concerns that they share with administration; some, however, do so in an incredibly antagonistic manner, sowing discord among both classmates and faculty. People being unwilling to work closely with students like this are not “turning a deaf ear,” they are expecting and requiring professional students to take more mature and professional routes to resolve conflict healthily. As evidenced by the nature of the comments above, 06wolf does not take such routes to share concerns.

Criticizing an institution with blatant bias on a public forum and broadly encouraging students to not apply, just because the curricular structure didn’t work well for your learning style, is inappropriate and unfair to every premedical student who is seeking legitimate advice.
Postmed1234 claims to be a recent graduate from ZSOM. This account was opened on 2 June 2021, the day after my initial post. The account does not disclose a status as resident or otherwise.

The language of the first post sounds like marketing (e.g., “You learn about the GI tract (anatomy, physiology, histology, pathology), nutrition, metabolism, etc. all at once. It makes so much sense!”)

The language of this most recent post sounds like a defensive administrator, not a former student (e.g., “faculty are willing to meet with individual students at any time, to discuss anything-from challenging content to concerns about the effectiveness of a particular PEARLS case. Individuals in every class at every medical school will have concerns that they share with administration; some, however, do so in an incredibly antagonistic manner, sowing discord among both classmates and faculty. People being unwilling to work closely with students like this are not “turning a deaf ear,” they are expecting and requiring professional students to take more mature and professional routes to resolve conflict healthily.”).

The facts and context raise the possibility that Postmed1234 is not a recent graduate, as claimed, but in fact is on the ZSOM payroll. Student Doctor Network Terms of Service require telling the truth. Our Vision, Values, and Policies.

If Postmed1234 is a member of the ZSOM faculty or administration, lying, pretending to be a recent graduate, that is a violation of the SDN Terms of Service. It’s also shameful and unprofessional behavior.

Of course, ZSOM representatives are welcome to comment on my concerns. SDN is a forum for public debate. But if they do so, they have to do so truthfully, consistent with SDN Terms of Service, not pretending to be a recent graduate.

Far from being “inappropriate” to criticize an institution in this public forum, my actions are consistent with SDN values: “We believe that academics should be about education, not profit.” My posts encourage applicants to be educated about medical school curricula to ensure that they apply to schools where they will be supported to succeed academically. Whereas ZSOM makes money from applications; its financial interest is served by having the highest number of applications possible. If applicants decide, pre-application, that the school is not a good fit for them, ZSOM loses money. If Postmed1234 is a representative of ZSOM, then it is likewise violating the SDN values, as the posts promote profit, rather than education.

Finally, the SDN Terms of Service are committed to a “a friendly online community, where members of backgrounds feel relaxed and comfortable.” Postmed1234 has consistently called me names (e.g., “bitter,” “disillusioned”) and made unsupported assumptions about me (e.g., “first action as a new MD”—huh?), while I have consistently shared facts about the curriculum, my honest views, encouraged applicants to be empowered by knowledge, and acknowledged the entitlement of everyone else to have their say. Postmed1234 might consider that its posts are done in “an incredibly antagonistic manner, sowing discord … [and that] People being unwilling to [apply to ZSOM] are expecting and requiring professional [medical schools] to take more mature and professional routes to [responding to constructive criticism].”

Postmed1234 claims to be a recent graduate from ZSOM. This account was opened on 2 June 2021, the day after my initial post. The account does not disclose a status as resident or otherwise.

The language of the first post sounds like marketing (e.g., “You learn about the GI tract (anatomy, physiology, histology, pathology), nutrition, metabolism, etc. all at once. It makes so much sense!”)

The language of this most recent post sounds like a defensive administrator, not a former student (e.g., “faculty are willing to meet with individual students at any time, to discuss anything-from challenging content to concerns about the effectiveness of a particular PEARLS case. Individuals in every class at every medical school will have concerns that they share with administration; some, however, do so in an incredibly antagonistic manner, sowing discord among both classmates and faculty. People being unwilling to work closely with students like this are not “turning a deaf ear,” they are expecting and requiring professional students to take more mature and professional routes to resolve conflict healthily.”).

The facts and context raise the possibility that Postmed1234 is not a recent graduate, as claimed, but in fact is on the ZSOM payroll. Student Doctor Network Terms of Service require telling the truth. Our Vision, Values, and Policies.

If Postmed1234 is a member of the ZSOM faculty or administration, lying, pretending to be a recent graduate, that is a violation of the SDN Terms of Service. It’s also shameful and unprofessional behavior.

Of course, ZSOM representatives are welcome to comment on my concerns. SDN is a forum for public debate. But if they do so, they have to do so truthfully, consistent with SDN Terms of Service, not pretending to be a recent graduate.

Far from being “inappropriate” to criticize an institution in this public forum, my actions are consistent with SDN values: “We believe that academics should be about education, not profit.” My posts encourage applicants to be educated about medical school curricula to ensure that they apply to schools where they will be supported to succeed academically. Whereas ZSOM makes money from applications; its financial interest is served by having the highest number of applications possible. If applicants decide, pre-application, that the school is not a good fit for them, ZSOM loses money. If Postmed1234 is a representative of ZSOM, then it is likewise violating the SDN values, as the posts promote profit, rather than education.

Finally, the SDN Terms of Service are committed to a “a friendly online community, where members of backgrounds feel relaxed and comfortable.” Postmed1234 has consistently called me names (e.g., “bitter,” “disillusioned”) and made unsupported assumptions about me (e.g., “first action as a new MD”—huh?), while I have consistently shared facts about the curriculum, my honest views, encouraged applicants to be empowered by knowledge, and acknowledged the entitlement of everyone else to have their say. Postmed1234 might consider that its posts are done in “an incredibly antagonistic manner, sowing discord … [and that] People being unwilling to [apply to ZSOM] are expecting and requiring professional [medical schools] to take more mature and professional routes to [responding to constructive criticism].”
My points regarding the handling of conflicts are well demonstrated by baseless accusations and the citing of the SDN terms of service.

I am, in fact, a recent graduate of ZSOM. I have never engaged on SDN, but I made the account on 6/2 because an individual applying shared this post with me, and I felt the need to rebut a very biased and negative view of a school I am incredibly proud of. This negative view is not commonly shared by my classmates and friends, and it is important for applicants to be well-informed. I appreciate a sharing of ideas, but making a post that claims that the school fails in all areas important to medical education is not just an unfair assessment, but it is disrespectful to faculty and to classmates who are proud of their own education.

I don’t feel the need to continue a public conversation with this individual, but applicants, please feel free to DM with thoughts and questions. I am happy with my medical education, my preparation for both examinations and floor work, and the mentorship I received over the last four years. I, personally, am encouraging close family and friends applying to medical school to apply to and attend ZSOM.

As a student of ZSOM 2021 I am here to defend this school, its integrity, and its curriculum.

Like every MD School in the country, ZSOM has its pros and cons. The school teaches by body system very well in the preclinical curriculum, in my opinion. In my opinion, the school focuses extremely well on communication and interpersonal skills (absolute necessities for a doctor). The administration, in my opinion, is quite down to earth and committed to student’s career goals. In my opinion, the third year teaches neurology and psychiatry extremely well. Students perform with stellar results in Step 1 and Step 2.
However, in my opinion the school also does not properly prioritize fields like EM and Family Medicine in the third year. I think the focus on General Surgery (especially trauma) is lacking. In my opinion, clinical year grading could be more consistent with other schools and at times disservices students.

With all of this said, I will underscore this is MY OPINION. Just as it is 06wolf’s opinion that the school “fails applicants” it is my opinion that this school comes with its blemishes, but that it also develops wonderful doctors and people ready to face the rigors of residency training. I—for one—matched into one of if not THE most competitive specialties in medicine this cycle and credit my school with that success. However, I also know that most schools in the country would have afforded me similar opportunity.

I think applicants need to trust their gut when applying to medical school. No pre-med will know what makes a good medical school until they experience it for themselves. The reality is all medical schools are well equipped in training physicians and it is unfair and frankly controlling/misguided for a former student to lambast an institution to highly impressionable pre-med applicants.

I will supply myself as a resource for students curious about my personal take on the school. Please DM me with any questions. However, realize that these are myopinions and likely to change based on the student.

The overarching truth is that the school develops excellent doctors like every other in the country and that it has its blemishes just as every other as well. 06wolf should be focusing on his/her/their upcoming intern year rather than deprecating his/her/their institution on a public forum—presenting opinion as irrefutable fact to people without firsthand knowledge or experience.

Reactions: 4 users
As a recent graduate of ZSOM as well (I'm not a paid marketing admin, wtf 06Wolf slow your roll), I also have to disagree with this post. I had my own problems with the curriculum, but overall I think it was a solid education and more to teach us critical thinking and communications over the "teaching to the test" model. The combined materials curriculum of Structure and PEARLS can seem confusing early on, but falls into place as your progress, and looking back I'm extremely grateful we didn't have isolated silos for "anatomy" and "biochem". To me, things make much more sense if you learn them combined per system. It's also not a joke that we come out of the program constantly receiving praise for our ability to talk to patients, present to attendings, and write notes.

Arguing for more time for Step 1 studying is moot, now that it's moved to p/f- no one should need more than 6wks. I would assume that that the admin may look into modifying things now that CS is cancelled, but since it just happened only time will tell. Are you arguing in favor of MORE shelf exams in FM/EM? Do you think multiple choice exams are necessarily the best way to assess a student? You hate OSCEs, but others would argue that weighting alternatives to USMLE tests makes things more fair and provides an alternative opportunity to display their skills and knowledge.

I agree that 2+2 may be outdated, but I'm not sure destroying our curricular model is the correct way to fix that. We don't start clerkships early, but we do start clinical experiences nearly right away- I was seeing clinic patients in ICE in our first semester. And I'm not sure what you mean about a lack of free time in MS4- I spent like 4 months on electives despite being off-cycle. Yes, psychiatrists have to take an IM sub-i. Personally, I think it's good for everyone to be at least somewhat well-rounded and understand the different hospital departments; god knows I hated my neurology rotation, but I think it was good to experience.

I'm also not sure that in "every metric the school failed us", when we crushed it in the match- you yourself say you got into your top choice, as did I, as did many of my friends. God knows I did my fair share of bitching while I was there, but I think you do a disservice to your fellow students and profs claiming that your experiences speak for us all. Nothing is ever going to be 100% satisfactory to every student, and some things will be more to other people's taste.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The posts arguing with my recommendation not to apply to ZSOM do not address the facts of the curriculum. The facts are inarguable:
  • The preclinical curriculum is long: 100 weeks (2 years). Many schools have preclinical curricula that are 15-18 months or less.
  • During the 100 weeks, students spend 6 hours weekly in small group sessions called PEARLS.
  • Those sessions have no content expert. No other medical school deprives students of content experts in their small group sessions.
  • Every Monday, students spend the whole session making “learning objectives.” Each of the three days, students spend 10-20 minutes “self-assessing” themselves in front of their classmates. As a result, around 2-and-a-half hours of those 6 hours are non-substantive. This amount of non-substantive “face time” (time during which students are required to be present in person) is a singular distinction of ZSOM.
  • Students have six weeks to study for Step 1. Historically, 20 per cent or more of the ZSOM class have felt that they needed more than six weeks for Step 1 study. Those who are concerned that they will not pass with only six weeks study will have to take a year off if they want more study time. Schools with shorter preclinical periods allow students more time to study for Step 1, up to 12 weeks at some schools.
  • The pre-Step 2 clinical curriculum includes only six core clerkships and two, two-week electives (with a third elective embedded in the Medicine rotation). Each core clerkship is only six weeks. Students at other schools with more time for their clinical curriculum take more clerkships and can spend more weeks on certain rotations (including Surgery and OB-Gyn).
  • Pre-Step 2 clinical curriculum time is additionally taken up with two weeks for “transitions” and another two weeks for “core learning.” Nothing covered during these four weeks is on Step 2. Again, this amount of non-substantive “face time” is one of ZSOM’s specialities.
  • Students have three required sub-internships in their fourth year and will have to take a fourth sub-internship if they are applying to match in an area that is not one of the required sub-internships (which are Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Critical Care ICU). Most schools require a single sub-internship, typically in the area of specialty in which you are applying.
These are facts.

The implications of these facts are likewise inarguable: preparation for Step 2 occurs in the clinical curriculum, not the preclinical curriculum. Students who have less time in the clinical curriculum, rotate in fewer areas, and who have taken fewer shelf exams, are structurally disadvantaged by their school’s curriculum on Step 2.

Because ZSOM’s curriculum structurally disadvantages students on Step 2, and because Step 2 scores will assume much greater importance now that Step 1 is pass / fail, I recommend that applicants do not apply to ZSOM. I encourage applicants to make best use of your time and money by applying to medical schools with short preclinical curricula, long clinical curricula, ample time for independent study for Step 1 and Step 2, and a minimum of fourth year requirements to allow you the autonomy to prepare for your residency in the way that is best for you.

No one arguing with my recommendation is contending with the facts or the implication of those facts. Instead, these individuals are offering their opinions and their experience. Of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion. It’s a good thing to hear many opinions. And, likewise, everyone’s experience is valid. Familiarity with a breadth of experiences is also a good thing. But no ZSOM alum, including myself, has experience with Step 1 being pass / fail and the Step 2 score being much more important. The fact that some ZSOM students scored well on Step 1 in the past, or that some ZSOM students matched at competitive residencies in the past, is of limited relevance for applicants who have to consider whether ZSOM’s curriculum is structured for success in the new Step exam environment. It is not.

Finally, I reject the argument of Pr1d3D0c that medical school applicants are “highly impressionable,” and therefore, for that reason, they shouldn’t be exposed to facts about ZSOM’s curriculum or an alum’s recommendation based on those facts. Medical school applicants are adults spending thousands of dollars to apply to medical school, and they will spend upwards of a quarter of a million dollars on their medical education. They deserve comprehensive and transparent information about the schools to which they are applying.

Throughout this discussion on SDN, I have considered my advocacy a public service, and I remain committed to helping applicants who are considering applying to ZSOM. Please DM me if you would like to discuss further.

Reactions: 4 users
I received an OOS secondary Friday.

If you are currently not a matriculated student, please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now. (1500 characters)

If your undergraduate education was interrupted for any reason and you were not enrolled in classes, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time. This does not include time between programs post-graduation. (1500 characters)

Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenged. (1500 characters)

Given the COVID-19 pandemic, we are aware that there may be certain challenges you have encountered during the application process. Please use this space to describe any of those challenges. (optional, 1500 characters).

@wysdoc

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you to @eleanorroosevelt for sharing this year's essay prompts!

2021-2022 Hofstra (Zucker) Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. If you are currently not a matriculated student, please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now.
(1500 characters)

2. If your undergraduate education was interrupted for any reason and you were not enrolled in classes, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time. This does not include time between programs post-graduation. (1500 characters)

3. Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenged. (1500 characters)

4. Given the COVID-19 pandemic, we are aware that there may be certain challenges you have encountered during the application process. Please use this space to describe any of those challenges.
(optional, 1500 characters).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Has anyone else not gotten their secondary from Hofstra yet? Based on my MCAT and GPA, I doubt that I was screened out, but I haven't heard anything from them. At what point should I contact them if other people are receiving secondaries and I am not?

Has anyone else not gotten their secondaries from Hofstra yet? Based on my MCAT and GPA, I doubt that I was screened out, but I haven't heard anything from them. At what point should I contact them if other people are receiving secondaries and I am not?
I haven't

No secondary invite yet, but received an email today saying that Hofstra has received my primary app and that I should expect the secondary invite within 2 days as long as I meet minimum requirements (MCAT > 50th percentile, 3.0 cGPA, and US Citizen/Permanent Resident/DACA status).

To log into the secondary portal, what do we put for "login name"? The email says to use the AMCAS ID. I've tried using my AMCAS ID number and my username for AMCAS but neither have worked for me

To log into the secondary portal, what do we put for "login name"? The email says to use the AMCAS ID. I've tried using my AMCAS ID number and my username for AMCAS but neither have worked for me
i had some issues logging in too, i had to hit forgot password, then your login is your AAMC ID. they send you the same password again through an email, and that time it worked for whatever reason

i had some issues logging in too, i had to hit forgot password, then your login is your AAMC ID. they send you the same password again through an email, and that time it worked for whatever reason
For some reason, this worked for Hofstra! However, I haven't been able to gain access to any other school's portal that is in this format.

For some reason, this worked for Hofstra! However, I haven't been able to gain access to any other school's portal that is in this format.
lol have you been trying to sneak in before they release secondaries or have you just had a lot of issues logging in?

lol have you been trying to sneak in before they release secondaries or have you just had a lot of issues logging in?
No, I got all the secondary invitations today. I just have had a lot of issues logging in. At least I know now what I'm supposed to use, but I don't know why the majority of my portals aren't working.

Hello. Does anyone's letters of recommenation show as received on Hofstra's secondary application, but there still remains a red exclamation mark?

for the "If you are currently not a matriculated student, please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now." can we also talk about what we plan to do for our gap year?

Update: LOR marked as not received since I submitted on 07/02. Just received email that application is complete!

Is #3 supposed to be specifically adversity in the realms of extenuating circumstances? I have my standard challenge essay, but I have not undergone significant economic hardship or anything of the sort -- so should I be leaving that question blank?

Is #3 supposed to be specifically adversity in the realms of extenuating circumstances? I have my standard challenge essay, but I have not undergone significant economic hardship or anything of the sort -- so should I be leaving that question blank?
I put my standard challenge essay for #3. I didn't think it was optional?

The phrasing of the essay makes it sound like they want an extenuating circumstance, but I am leaning towards putting my standard challenge essay.

The "during the application process" part has me a little confused. My application in terms of grades and MCAT was not really affected by COVID. Obviously like every other person my shadowing and some of my volunteering fell through, but is that what they're asking here? Should I use my regular COVID essay where I talk about being furloughed from my job and stuff?

Does anyone have any updates? Interview invites, put on hold, rejections? Thanks!

Interview Invite! Complete 8/7