2021-2022 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hold for interview today.. feel like I’ll be here for a while
When were you complete? I'm complete and still waiting... :/

Edit: I just looked back at my complete email and it also says my app is being held for interview consideration. Was this your complete email or an additional email? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When were you complete? I'm complete and still waiting... :/

Edit: I just looked back at my complete email and it also says my app is being held for interview consideration. Was this your complete email or an additional email? Thanks!
We have completed the review of your secondary application and your application is being held for interview consideration by our Admissions Committee.

If you are selected for an interview by our Admission Committee, you will receive a message from our Admissions Coordinator instructing you to open a link and select an interview day.

Reactions: 1 user
We have completed the review of your secondary application and your application is being held for interview consideration by our Admissions Committee.

If you are selected for an interview by our Admission Committee, you will receive a message from our Admissions Coordinator instructing you to open a link and select an interview day.
ok, that's the same one I got... doesn't everyone get this one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I received an email on 8/14 stating that my application is being held for interview consideration, is this basically like an interview waitlist?

Hey guys! I received an email on 8/14 stating that my application is being held for interview consideration, is this basically like an interview waitlist?
I'm wondering the same.... ?

For those who have interviewed already. How was it? How did you prepare?

Recieved an II yesterday, absolutely over the moon as I love this school! I was on hold for an II around August 10th or so. Anyone who has already interviewed available to message? Really wanna do my best to knock the interview out of the park so I can attend here.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today! Interviewed on 8/30.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today as well! Also interviewed on 8/30. Soooooo excited!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Recieved an II yesterday, absolutely over the moon as I love this school! I was on hold for an II around August 10th or so. Anyone who has already interviewed available to message? Really wanna do my best to knock the interview out of the park so I can attend here.
What were your stats if you don’t mind my asking?

I'm wondering the same.... ?
Consensus on this seems to be that it's more or less just a confirmation that they have things (and probably that you didn't just get screened). Most of the posters both this year and last year received some variant of this message, although the one sent out last year had more stress inducing wording.

For those who have interviewed already. How was it? How did you prepare?
I can't speak to this year's application cycle, but what I did last year was look at some of the common questions (e.g. why this school/program, why osteopathic, etc) so that I didn't really have to think about the answer. If you have something unique in your application/statement it may come up. For example a large portion of my interview was just chatting with the faculty about how I saw my graduate work integrating into education and future practice. Overall it was pretty laid back and conversational. They'll tell you this on interview day, but the admissions committee typically meets on Fridays to discuss the interviews for the week with decisions being sent out later that afternoon.

What were your stats if you don’t mind my asking?
Signature says 509, 3.83

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone gotten an II recently? I thought I got one but it was just another connections email. Haven’t seen much movement in a bit.

Anyone else anxiously refreshing their email every 10 minutes hoping for a II? :/

Members don't see this ad :)
ICOM interview coming up in two weeks. Im so stoked. For those that have gone through the interview day, what was it like? Was it info session first then one-on-one interview? Is the interview open file? Any advice you'd like to share?

ICOM interview coming up in two weeks. Im so stoked. For those that have gone through the interview day, what was it like? Was it info session first then one-on-one interview? Is the interview open file? Any advice you'd like to share?
Interviewed there and I now tell others how that was the worst interview I had of all 6 that I accepted when I applied.
Interviewers for me were overly-serious, rude and inconsiderate.

Be ready to show who you are by your EXPERIENCES. Can’t stress that enough. It’s true for all interviews but I felt it was especially true for this school. (Probably just my interviewer but still). In other words, if asked a question, almost always answer by telling stories about related experiences.. especially clinical experiences. SHOW thorough stories. Don’t TELL. Kind of like your personal statement.

😂 don’t mean to scare you by the start to my response. But I also wanted to be candid as I appreciate that sort of candor.

despite being super late in the cycle,I took the interview because I did my undergrad in Idaho. The president gets on and says “don’t feel bad about interviewing for a spot on the waitlist! Give it your all!” Non of us knew that was the case. All our faces changed to disappointment/confusion/and even anger. The counselors who were on the call started panicking. Needless to say, other applicants asked for clarification when he left the call and they beat around the bush like 3 times trying to explain what he had already said but making it sound prettier than it was.

I ended up getting on the waitlist and then accepted later. I have personal reasons for not accepting despite it being cheaper than where I’m at and where I want to ultimately work geographically but that is all neither here nor there (I suppose).

You’ll do great. i occasionally sit in on interviews and I love interview day. I try to remember my experiences as an interviewee and make the day enjoyable for applicants. I notice consistently that those who appear to be enjoying the experience tend to show their personalities more and have more success. Have fun! Best of luck.

May have been asked before but what did interview day consist of? Was it a presentation first and then breakout into virtual rooms for the interview?

Interviewed there and I now tell others how that was the worst interview I had of all 6 that I accepted when I applied.
Interviewers for me were overly-serious, rude and inconsiderate.

Be ready to show who you are by your EXPERIENCES. Can’t stress that enough. It’s true for all interviews but I felt it was especially true for this school. (Probably just my interviewer but still). In other words, if asked a question, almost always answer by telling stories about related experiences.. especially clinical experiences. SHOW thorough stories. Don’t TELL. Kind of like your personal statement.

😂 don’t mean to scare you by the start to my response. But I also wanted to be candid as I appreciate that sort of candor.

despite being super late in the cycle,I took the interview because I did my undergrad in Idaho. The president gets on and says “don’t feel bad about interviewing for a spot on the waitlist! Give it your all!” Non of us knew that was the case. All our faces changed to disappointment/confusion/and even anger. The counselors who were on the call started panicking. Needless to say, other applicants asked for clarification when he left the call and they beat around the bush like 3 times trying to explain what he had already said but making it sound prettier than it was.

I ended up getting on the waitlist and then accepted later. I have personal reasons for not accepting despite it being cheaper than where I’m at and where I want to ultimately work geographically but that is all neither here nor there (I suppose).

You’ll do great. i occasionally sit in on interviews and I love interview day. I try to remember my experiences as an interviewee and make the day enjoyable for applicants. I notice consistently that those who appear to be enjoying the experience tend to show their personalities more and have more success. Have fun! Best of luck.
where are you going?

Also Accepted today! Hasn't hit me yet, but so relieved I don't have to apply a third time :giggle:

Congratulations! When did you interview? Im interviewing this week so wish me luck.
Thank you so much, I am so so excited. I interviewed Sept. 22! No luck needed, you'll do great! Just be yourself, show your passion, and have a few questions to ask.

II Received 10/7! Soonest dates available were in November. Secondary submitted 7/11. Received application on hold email on 7/13. Stats are In signature.

I’m tryna join y’all in interview day! They’re giving first years some slots.

Does anybody know anything about a facebook page for the class of 2026? It's on the matriculation checklist and I'd like to join, but I can only find an ICOM class of 2025 page on facebook.

Does anybody know anything about a facebook page for the class of 2026? It's on the matriculation checklist and I'd like to join, but I can only find an ICOM class of 2025 page on facebook.
It took them a bit to get ours up and running. I went and made our year's Discord in the meantime and honestly we all use that more.

Could anybody that got accepted this year already speak to this year's online interview?
I have mine next week and am looking to prepare, here are some questions I have:
It's 3 hrs long, what's the format like? All I know is that there's a staff portion and a portion to ask questions to students at the end.
What types of questions were you asked?
Mostly about stuff on your primary application?
What was the hardest question you were asked? Anything that threw you off guard or you weren't expecting?

Thanks for any help and advice!!!

Could anybody that got accepted this year already speak to this year's online interview?
I have mine next week and am looking to prepare, here are some questions I have:
It's 3 hrs long, what's the format like? All I know is that there's a staff portion and a portion to ask questions to students at the end.
What types of questions were you asked?
Mostly about stuff on your primary application?
What was the hardest question you were asked? Anything that threw you off guard or you weren't expecting?

Thanks for any help and advice!!!
Format -
There is an intro session at the beginning with a speech from the Dean and other admission officials. Then you rotate through various 30-minute sessions with a short break in between (mine went faculty interview, staff q&a, break). At the end, you have a q&a session with students and the admission staff leave after getting it started which made it feel more candid.
Questions -
Basic intro prompt of tell us about yourself, why do you want to be a doctor, why ICOM. Then the two faculty members took turns asking questions and it was a pretty conversational interview. The questions were not overly specific to my application but they said several things making it clear that they had closely reviewed my application (direct connection to something I said in my personal statement and asking about specific courses on my transcript). The only questions that surprised me were ones about the main employers in my hometown (very rural town that most people haven't heard of so I wouldn't expect this for everyone) and my parent's opinion on me applying to medical school. The last ten minutes of the interview were for my questions for them so I would prepare a few solid questions for that.
Overall, if you are confident in yourself and your story, know your application well, look into the school's info, and have an understanding of the healthcare challenges in Idaho and other states in the Mountain West, you will do great :)

Accepted! OOS but located in a state in ICOM's mission statement

Current 2nd year at ICOM here. Also willing to answer any questions anyone may have.
Do you know if you guys will be able to do clinical rotations within the hospitals in Idaho? I heard something about the hospitals not allowing ICOM students to do this for some reason. Thanks!

• Dislike
Do you know if you guys will be able to do clinical rotations within the hospitals in Idaho? I heard something about the hospitals not allowing ICOM students to do this for some reason. Thanks!
Not sure where you got that information from.. ICOM students do their clinical rotations at all the major hospital systems in the Boise area. St. Luke’s, St. Alphonsus, the Boise VA, and West Valley Hospital. If you go on the ICOM clinical rotation website you can see which hospitals are affiliated with the school. The majority are in Idaho with a few sites in the surrounding states.

Current 3rd and 4th years are rotating thru Boise hospitals and those thru out Idaho. Many will rotate thru ICOM and our OPP lab.

Yeah, as mentioned above, ICOM students have multiple sites to chose from in Idaho. There’s hospital systems in the Treasure Valley, Magic Valley, and Eastern Idaho that 3rd and 4th years do their rotations through. The majority of spots are actually located in Idaho.

Hey guys. I got an A from ICOM a while back and I was soooooo pumped. But I do have some questions about clinical rotations. Wherever I go my future spouse is coming as well to start her career. I am a little concerned about being sent away to another state for a year for clinical rotations. Can someone explain what this process is like and how long one could expect to have rotations out of state/far from Boise area? Like, will I have to move?

Hey guys. I got an A from ICOM a while back and I was soooooo pumped. But I do have some questions about clinical rotations. Wherever I go my future spouse is coming as well to start her career. I am a little concerned about being sent away to another state for a year for clinical rotations. Can someone explain what this process is like and how long one could expect to have rotations out of state/far from Boise area? Like, will I have to move?
The other program I got into is UIWSOM and they won’t make you leave the area if you are married or own property in the area (supposedly lol).

As someone who also has a husband, I can understand your concern. When you are assigned to a clinical rotation spot, you will do your rotations there during your third year. Fourth year you can complete rotations at your hub site, or complete rotations at other locations. ICOM does allow people to apply for hardships (to try and stay in a certain area), but family (spouses, children) or property in the area do not qualify for hardships. You are guaranteed to stay in the Meridian/Boise area during your first two years or medical school and then are guaranteed to stay near your hub site during third year (minus some rotations that may have to be completed at other sites depending on what the hub site offers.) Fourth year is pretty much up to you.

Got the acceptance call first thing in the morning! Interviewed October 12th. Does anybody know if the school is conducting on-site campus tours?

Got the acceptance call first thing in the morning! Interviewed October 12th. Does anybody know if the school is conducting on-site campus tours?
Believe so. I haven’t seen any recently but I also haven’t been on campus at all.

My primary was sent and then put on hold while "under consideration." I guess the initial review happens and then secondaries are sent out? Has anyone else been waiting for a secondary here?

Anyone know about what the post-ii acceptance rates are? I'm worried that I didn't do that well on my interview

Anyone know about what the post-ii acceptance rates are? I'm worried that I didn't do that well on my interview
I haven’t ever seen it released but honestly I got disconnected halfway thru mine and I got in.

Anyone else get excited for a second when they saw their email about OMM lectures 😞