2021-2022 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re worried about your waitlist placement, it’s never a bad idea!
Thanks, if im in high tier should I consider waiting for a few weeks? It looks like they are still running through the highest tier right now

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, if im in high tier should I consider waiting for a few weeks? It looks like they are still running through the highest tier right now
There's currently only 3 interview days left. So I'd consider it ASAP.

Was accepted off highest tier list last week, I am going to withdraw, hope it goes to one of y’all waiting for that first A!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Just got a call that I was accepted from the high tier waitlist!
Congrats!! In case you dont mind me asking, how long do you have to make a decision and put a deposit down? How much is the deposit?

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! In case you dont mind me asking, how long do you have to make a decision and put a deposit down? How much is the deposit?
they said I have 14 days to put down a $1500 non-refundable deposit that goes toward first semester tuition!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding loans (hoping that current students can chime in). I'm still on the highest tier waitlist but I want to financially prepare for if and when I do get off the waitlist. I understand the school doesn't qualify for FAFSA yet but can anyone provide guidance regarding commercial loans and their experience with it? Thank you in advance!

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding loans (hoping that current students can chime in). I'm still on the highest tier waitlist but I want to financially prepare for if and when I do get off the waitlist. I understand the school doesn't qualify for FAFSA yet but can anyone provide guidance regarding commercial loans and their experience with it? Thank you in advance!
Hey! I have Sallie Mae. It’s kinda harsh on the internet rate BUT they’re pretty good about accepting without needing a co-signer. I think iHelp was offering better interest rates. There’s a loan-comparing thing on ICOMs page. Personally, I have a scholarship too (NHSC) so my tuition is paid for and I just take out the 22k a year for COL. I think our COL allowance will go up given the economic climate.

When do you anticipate people from the high tier (not highest tier) will be called off the waitlist?

I thought it could be up until orientation?

No, that’s people getting off the waitlist

Will be dependent on Traffic Guidelines. Yes, you could come off right before orientation (or after honestly). However, ICOM requires seat deposit by 14 days. So every 2 weeks you could have a movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! I have Sallie Mae. It’s kinda harsh on the internet rate BUT they’re pretty good about accepting without needing a co-signer. I think iHelp was offering better interest rates. There’s a loan-comparing thing on ICOMs page. Personally, I have a scholarship too (NHSC) so my tuition is paid for and I just take out the 22k a year for COL. I think our COL allowance will go up given the economic climate.
Do only those who grew up underserved get the NHSC scholarship?

Do only those who grew up underserved get the NHSC scholarship?
Nope! I grew up in a rural environment, but I was like 20 min from a large town. So, it's really dependent on how you want to practice later. If you can convince NHSC that you truly want to practice 4 years (or longer) in a rural community, then you're as good a candidate as anyone else. They tend to look for the lowest risk drop outs (I.e. those who have family rurally, and won't be likely to drop from the program). I'm married, so I don't know if that helped or not.

But, honestly, if you look at the sites that the NHSC lets you go to, they include McCall, Sun Valley, Ketchum and a plethora of really beautiful and amazing places that I'd die to work at.

Highest tier of waitlist today!

I declined my interview this past weekend so hopefully, someone gets the spot!

Spoke with Admissions committee today and here are some answers I got:
- About 154 paid deposits have been put down at this point. They usually expect to lose about 100 of those deposits around this time which would mean 100 more open seats. This is a rough estimation based on previous cycles.
- Roughly 85-100 people on the highest tier waiting list (accepted per seat available) who haven't been offered a seat yet but they expect a lot of them to have received acceptances other places as well at this point. Acceptances are given two weeks until May 14th to place a deposit which is why movement has been slow at this point I guess.
- They're expecting to get to the normal "high" tier waitlist probably by end of may or June.
- The pool of applicants was less this cycle. Not sure if she meant specifically for ICOM or the overall applicants in the cycle.

This is the information that I noted while on the phone. If I got anything incorrect please forgive me.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
- About 154 paid deposits have been put down at this point. They usually expect to lose about 100 of those deposits around this time which would mean 100 more open seats. This is a rough estimation based on previous cycles.
- Roughly 85-100 people on the highest tier waiting list (accepted per seat available) who haven't been offered a seat yet but they expect a lot of them to have received acceptances other places as well at this point. Acceptances are given two weeks until May 14th to place a deposit which is why movement has been slow at this point I guess.
- They're expecting to get to the normal "high" tier waitlist probably by end of may or June.
- The pool of applicants was less this cycle. Not sure if she meant specifically for ICOM or the overall applicants in the cycle.

This is the information that I noted while on the phone. If I got anything incorrect please forgive me.
So what you are saying If I am in the highest tier, I pretty much will get in😩

So what you are saying If I am in the highest tier, I pretty much will get in😩

The highest tier waitlist tends to get in by the end of the whole shabang. Start prepping your reapps but don't make any hasty decisions yet.

The highest tier waitlist tends to get in by the end of the whole shabang. Start prepping your reapps but don't make any hasty decisions yet.
I was looking at last years thread and people in the middle tier waitlist got off days before classes started.

I was looking at last years thread and people in the middle tier waitlist got off days before classes started.
I was one of those people lol. Filling out my new AACOMAS application when I got the call. No way of knowing if this cycle will be the same as last year, but I still think there's hope for those on the waitlist

ICOM won't be eligible for federal financial aid until Fall 2023 at the earliest, a lot of students will go elsewhere if they get another acceptance. That being said, the match rate may convenience some to hold on to their seats.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm wishing you all the best of luck on your path to becoming a physician! Hope to call you all colleagues one day in the future.

It looks like around middle of may is when the high tier applicants started posting acceptances and the earliest mid tier acceptance was mid June on the page. The amount of deposits placed down this cycle isn't what concerned me because people will start giving up seats soon enough but its the number of highest tier people ahead of us that has me concerned 😭. They still have to hand out acceptances from 2 interview sessions last week and one more for next week. fingers crossed but the concern level has definitely shot up lol

It looks like around middle of may is when the high tier applicants started posting acceptances and the earliest mid tier acceptance was mid June on the page. The amount of deposits placed down this cycle isn't what concerned me because people will start giving up seats soon enough but its the number of highest tier people ahead of us that has me concerned 😭. They still have to hand out acceptances from 2 interview sessions last week and one more for next week. fingers crossed but the concern level has definitely shot up lol
Same.

Highest tier we just now interviewed April 12

Highest tier wl also just now, interviewed 4/13!!

Accepted off the highest tier waitlist w/ a phone call this morning; they left a voicemail inquiring if I was still interested. I called back and got the acceptance email right after; still the standard 14 days to secure the spot w/ a deposit.

Hopefully this will help keep things moving for everyone as it seems they are trying to check applicants’ interest first before sending official acceptances.

• Love
Accepted off the highest tier waitlist w/ a phone call this morning; they left a voicemail inquiring if I was still interested. I called back and got the acceptance email right after; still the standard 14 days to secure the spot w/ a deposit.

Hopefully this will help keep things moving for everyone as it seems they are trying to check applicants’ interest first before sending official acceptances.
Congrats! Welcome to ICOM!

• Love

Congrats!! Quick question if you are willing to answer, when were you put on the waitlist?

Congrats!! Quick question if you are willing to answer, when were you put on the waitlist?
Thank you! Interviewed 3/1, waitlisted 3/11; we were told ahead of time we were interviewing for a waitlist position

I believe the wait list is ranked. I interviewed 3/30, was wait listed 4/8, and accepted on 4/13. Hope to see you in the fall!

I believe the wait list is ranked. I interviewed 3/30, was wait listed 4/8, and accepted on 4/13. Hope to see you in the fall!
Were you normal high tier or highest tier? I was under the impression from admissions that they complete the "highest tier" first before moving on to the normal high tier waitlist. Congrats and hopefully I join you!

Were you normal high tier or highest tier? I was under the impression from admissions that they complete the "highest tier" first before moving on to the normal high tier waitlist. Congrats and hopefully I join you!

I was highest tier. Based upon the discussion here, it doesn’t appear that they’ve gotten through everyone yet.

I was highest tier. Based upon the discussion here, it doesn’t appear that they’ve gotten through everyone yet.
That's interesting. I thought they go through the highest tier in chronological order from when people interviewed but maybe they rank that list as well

Cost of attendance is up on the ICOM website. Now is the time to start figuring out your Sallie Mae or iHelp loans. Only take what you need but take as much as possible and then figure out returns when we get our federal loan approval next fall/winter.

Cost of attendance is up on the ICOM website. Now is the time to start figuring out your Sallie Mae or iHelp loans. Only take what you need but take as much as possible and then figure out returns when we get our federal loan approval next fall/winter.
Why do you think ARCOM was able to get federal funding for 2021-2022 school cycle when they graduated their first class May 2021?

Why do you think ARCOM was able to get federal funding for 2021-2022 school cycle when they graduated their first class May 2021?
That's a really good question. Would also like to know why that is. Maybe ICOM is overestimating how long it will actually take to get federal funding after accreditation? Did ARCOM ever give a timeframe about the process? Our financial aid office is saying the application process takes 6 months minimum after accreditation.

That's a really good question. Would also like to know why that is. Maybe ICOM is overestimating how long it will actually take to get federal funding after accreditation? Did ARCOM ever give a timeframe about the process? Our financial aid office is saying the application process takes 6 months minimum after accreditation.
ARCOM had the school number for FAFSA this time last year. Apparently, federal funding is done by region and they are in a different region.