2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received on 8/17. Email confirmation of primary received on 8/16. Submitted primary on 8/6.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone give an example of what this could be?
I chose to talk about a time when something happened out of my control at a volunteer clinic and I had to respond to it because I was in a leadership position at the clinic. I stayed away from anything that was my fault/caused by me and focused on how I responded to something out of my control.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone else selected either campus on the primary how did you address the question "Please provide a brief explanation for your campus location selection." Did you just say reasons for each campus that you like? Thanks!

Hey peeps! KCU Joplin OMS1 here. Feel free to message if I can help y’all in any way or if you have questions about KCU and the Joplin campus! I love the Joplin campus and I think it gets a bad rap so I’d be happy to answer Q’s on it. Also got in with meh stats to encourage those with below average MCAT scores! We just finished our first block and are moving on to MSK (musculoskeletal) so I’m still a newb but I’ve learned a lot!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey peeps! KCU Joplin OMS1 here. Feel free to message if I can help y’all in any way or if you have questions about KCU and the Joplin campus! I love the Joplin campus and I think it gets a bad rap so I’d be happy to answer Q’s on it. Also got in with meh stats to encourage those with below average MCAT scores! We just finished our first block and are moving on to MSK (musculoskeletal) so I’m still a newb but I’ve learned a lot!
Thanks for the offer! I applied to the Joplin campus; I would be so much happier there than the big city. What do you love about it?

Hey how do you approach the question "What are you currently doing to maintain your academic knowledge? (500 Words)"? If I am starting my Senior year in college, how do I write a 500 word essay about it? (Do I talk about my current class schedule or the past courses I have taken?) (I didn't do anything "academic" the past summer)

For those who submitted the secondary, sending supporting documents in the next steps just means the LOR right?

Thanks for the offer! I applied to the Joplin campus; I would be so much happier there than the big city. What do you love about it?
I personally love all the staff and admin at the Joplin campus. Our class is smaller that the KC campus class so we all get to know each other a bit easier and I love the campus in Joplin better than in KC. In Joplin everything is in one building and it’s all brand new and easy to get to. It’s in a nice spot that’s easy to get to as well. Also cost of living is so much cheaper than KC especially close to downtown which was awesome. There’s fun things to do in Joplin but we get so busy it ends up not mattering anyway! I am from KC and I know the house I rent in Joplin is much nicer than anything I could have found in KC. They take the “two campuses one class” thing very seriously so there’s no downside to either campus when it comes down to academics. Joplin has some great coffee shops too! It’s so easy to get everywhere. It’s a slight adjustment is you come from a huge city but it’s totally doable.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally love all the staff and admin at the Joplin campus. Our class is smaller that the KC campus class so we all get to know each other a bit easier and I love the campus in Joplin better than in KC. In Joplin everything is in one building and it’s all brand new and easy to get to. It’s in a nice spot that’s easy to get to as well. Also cost of living is so much cheaper than KC especially close to downtown which was awesome. There’s fun things to do in Joplin but we get so busy it ends up not mattering anyway! I am from KC and I know the house I rent in Joplin is much nicer than anything I could have found in KC. They take the “two campuses one class” thing very seriously so there’s no downside to either campus when it comes down to academics. Joplin has some great coffee shops too! It’s so easy to get everywhere. It’s a slight adjustment is you come from a huge city but it’s totally doable.
Thank you!! It sounds lovely; hope I get an II!

Members don't see this ad :)
I second the coffee shops. I love them so much. I cant wait my coffee again when I return.

Anyone know if the physician letter requirement is set in stone with COVID?

Just received an email saying my application is complete and I am in "qualified status", but I will not be receiving an interview yet.

FIRST EVER INTERVIEW OMG OMG OMG So grateful. Recieved today at 7:01. OOS (Canadian), 514, cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.78, no ties!

WOOOO GOT AN INTERVIEW TODAY. Good luck everyone! Stats are as follows: OOS, 502, cGPA 3.91, sGPA 3.95, no ties

WOOOO GOT AN INTERVIEW TODAY. Good luck everyone! Stats are as follows: OOS, 502, cGPA 3.91, sGPA 3.95, no ties
Same! We have really similar stats but my GPA isn't that high. I submitted the secondary a week ago today. Love that response time

Also got my first II today! Good luck to everyone! My stats: OOS, 504, cGPA 3.24, sGPA 3.48, no ties

Does anyone here have interview acceptance stats for DO schools ?

Just received an email saying my application is complete and I am in "qualified status", but I will not be receiving an interview yet.
I got the same email. What do you think it means? I've tried looking at past threads to see if people ended up receiving interviews but couldn't find much. Hopefully it's not a soft R.

I got the same email. What do you think it means? I've tried looking at past threads to see if people ended up receiving interviews but couldn't find much. Hopefully it's not a soft R.
I received this message last cycle and did not end up receiving an interview.

I got the same email. What do you think it means? I've tried looking at past threnot a softads to see if people ended up receiving interviews but couldn't find much. Hopefully it's not a soft R.
It's definitely not a soft R. All it means is that we are not in the 1st round of interviews. KCU is just letting us know that they have seen our application, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most schools would not speak to you unless they've decided to give you an interview. Unless they sent you a rejection, you're still in the run.

It just means that basically they didn’t offer you an interview after their first review of your app but you’re not out of the running yet! It’s like an II waitlist basically. I got one last year too but I ended up getting an interview about a month later! Its not a rejection rejection, they’ll send you a for sure rejection if they don’t accept you!

Reactions: 2 users
II today, CA applicant! My stats: 509 MCAT, sGPA 3.75, cGPA 3.76. My top choice wish me luck!

Also received II on 8/24! LM70, Complete 8/22. Non-Canadian International. That was a really quick turnaround time!

Are all these interviews for the KC campus or no?

Are all these interviews for the KC campus or no?
I believe that they interview for both at the same time. If you gave no preference for a location then they interview and assign you to a location they feel you will fit best at. I selected a preference for Joplin and just got an II.

did you guys answer the "what are your top five choices for osteopathic medical school?

did you guys answer the "what are your top five choices for osteopathic medical school?
Yes, I put down my top 5 list of DO schools and just got an II. I am not sure what kind of weight they put into this... maybe just to see the kind of schools that you place value in i.e. more rural vs. urban.

Yes, I put down my top 5 list of DO schools and just got an II. I am not sure what kind of weight they put into this... maybe just to see the kind of schools that you place value in i.e. more rural vs. urban.
Congrats!! when were you complete?

submitted my secondary last friday.. anyone remember how long it took to hear anything else afterwards?

I submitted my secondary on Saturday and today (Monday), I got a link to the workday account setup. What is this? I don't even have an interview. And there is a list of incomplete assignments like an interview, LOR, Coursework checklist, etc. Can someone please clarify if everyone got this or just people with interviews? I am confused.

Just got an II! Complete 8/21. I am very excited!

Anyone know if they accept AP credits towards the prerequisite requirements?

Completely guessing here but it seems the adcoms meet up on tuesdays, based on the fact that the first set of IIs were sent out last Tuesday, and send out IIs at the end of the day. If that’s the case then u probs just received an email for the scheduling portal beforehand. I haven’t received an interview yet so this is just a guess.
Hmm, I see... It's just weird because I don't have an interview invite, lol. I still didn't get one. Do you have a workday account with them?

Edit: it took me 19 days to submit my secondary. Do they set aside pre-secondary applications ready for an invite? If so, that would make sense why I got a workday account and maybe soon to be invite.

I submitted 8/16 and still didn't receive an invite. Im guessing it may have to do with the fact that I submitted my primary in mid july. And no i dont have a workday account with them.
I hope we both get one soon :)