2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the accepted students, after the offer email, how long did it take to get the email with the link to complete the deposit, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

do you think theyre already out of spots if everyones going on the waitlist?
I interviewed in January and was accepted in February on the KC campus last year. It is much easier said than done, but try your best to keep in mind that the things you see on this page are from a very small piece of the applicant pool!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Secondary completed: 08/31
II: 09/16
Interview: 10/21
Accepted: 11/17, KC campus
Quick turnaround from secondary to II

Was there something particularly special about your app, or does KCU just review that quickly?

Members don't see this ad :)

Was there something particularly special about your app, or does KCU just review that quickly?
Took probably two weeks I think from secondary to interview

Reactions: 1 user

I can second the poster's timeline, I was complete 9/16, II on 10/5, interviewed 11/12. Hoping for a similar result to theirs in December.

Edit to add: I don't think my app is *that* special, they just seem to review fairly quick.

Reactions: 2 users
I can second the poster's timeline, I was complete 9/16, II on 10/5, interviewed 11/12. Hoping for a similar result to theirs in December.

Edit to add: I don't think my app is *that* special, they just seem to review fairly quick.
I interviewed with KCU on 11/15 and got the acceptance 12/21 when I applied, I'd count on around a month of turnaround time
Awesome, I just submitted a couple of days ago so hopefully I won't have to wait months for a response like at other schools haha
Love the LoL reference in your username lol

do you think theyre already out of spots if everyones going on the waitlist?
Spots aren't filled until march. they then start pulling off the WL in April until 1st day of classes. People aren't interviewing for a WL spot.

Reactions: 5 users
Is there a group for those accepted? My bad if I missed this info

I will send the LOI! I have been thinking about it for quite some time now and I think that it's time to start making moves. Thank you so much for your advice! Hahaha YES, I was wondering about whether or not I should bring up my acceptances to other programs in the LOI and how to include it without coming off as a big flex but I forgot to ask in my prior post so thank you for that.
Def send the LOI! I got accepted off the WL last year and a few FAQ’s I can answer.

They aren’t interviewing for only WL spots yet they probably are going to be sending a combo for the rest of the cycle. I interviewed in Feb last year and some people who interviewed with me got an A after their interview.

When I was on the WL, I send an LOI like ASAP after they said we could bc KCU was my top choice. I waited for a while, sent an update letter when I actually had updates to share, then I had one of my colleagues at work who is a mentor to me send an additional letter of rec on my behalf for my file. I got accepted 24 hours later so I’m unsure if that letter helped but if you have someone else who wasn’t a letter writer for your AACOMAS packet I’d go for it.

I got pulled off the WL in the first week of June and if I remember from SDN last year on the KCU thread I think I was one of the first ones pulled. Told them I had no campus preference and now I’m Joplin and LOVE it!! PM me for Q’s if you’re on the WL I know how stressful it can be!!

Def send the LOI! I got accepted off the WL last year and a few FAQ’s I can answer.

They aren’t interviewing for only WL spots yet they probably are going to be sending a combo for the rest of the cycle. I interviewed in Feb last year and some people who interviewed with me got an A after their interview.

When I was on the WL, I send an LOI like ASAP after they said we could bc KCU was my top choice. I waited for a while, sent an update letter when I actually had updates to share, then I had one of my colleagues at work who is a mentor to me send an additional letter of rec on my behalf for my file. I got accepted 24 hours later so I’m unsure if that letter helped but if you have someone else who wasn’t a letter writer for your AACOMAS packet I’d go for it.

I got pulled off the WL in the first week of June and if I remember from SDN last year on the KCU thread I think I was one of the first ones pulled. Told them I had no campus preference and now I’m Joplin and LOVE it!! PM me for Q’s if you’re on the WL I know how stressful it can be!!
Also another note to those on the WL. People said this last year and I rolled my eyes but there truly is a lot of WL movement here compared to other schools so even though it sucks don’t feel like there is no chance for you!! We had acceptances all the way into the last day of orientation which was crazy. There is truly still a chance until the day classes start next July. It’s a waiting game but keep your head up.

Where do most students live, if not staying at century towers? Can any of the current students give apartment suggestions? TIA

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know the post interview acceptance rate? And what they do in the 6 weeks leading up to a decision- does the committee go over your grades again?
I was told by a student ambassador it is something close to 33% unfortunately. However, if you are waitlisted it is said that there is still a decent chance to be pulled with an acceptance in the spring!

Where do most students live, if not staying at century towers? Can any of the current students give apartment suggestions? TIA
I talks about that in this post

• Love
Unfortunately I was told by a student ambassador during my tour a few weeks ago that it is more like 33%, but the waitlist is very mobile in the spring!

I highly doubt it’s that low. KCU seems to be pretty selective with who they interview. US News data from 5 years ago suggests post-II acceptance rate was 76%. Obviously things may have changed since then but 33% still seems extremely low.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know if KCU KC is allowing accepted students to visit on a case by case basis? I'd like to visit before I have to make a decision in December. Can we just walk onto campus and go into the buildings or do you have to have an ID/permission to get on campus?

Anyone know if KCU KC is allowing accepted students to visit on a case by case basis? I'd like to visit before I have to make a decision in December. Can we just walk onto campus and go into the buildings or do you have to have an ID/permission to get on campus?
Pretty sure student ambassadors are giving tours to students right now/they can give you a guided tour and answer questions you may have. I'd contact admissions and they can facilitate it. You cant just walk around on campus/walk into buildings you need a KCU ID to get into almost every building

Pretty sure student ambassadors are giving tours to students right now/they can give you a guided tour and answer questions you may have. I'd contact admissions and they can facilitate it. You cant just walk around on campus/walk into buildings you need a KCU ID to get into almost every building
Thank you so much for the information!!

I recently visited the KC campus. You don't need to be accepted student to visit the campus. You need to go to their website and sign up for the tour. Once you're confirmed, you can take maximum of 2 guests with you as well. KC campus is so beautiful. Goodluck.

I recently visited the KC campus. You don't need to be accepted student to visit the campus. You need to go to their website and sign up for the tour. Once you're confirmed, you can take maximum of 2 guests with you as well. KC campus is so beautiful. Goodluck.
Is this on their regular website? I looked at the tours for the osteopathic campus and there was only one in December, but I can only go this week.

Anybody that was in the Pre-II hold get an II recently or are we just all basking in the sun right now?

• Care
Just decided to withdraw from my interview, hope it goes to one of ya'll! Good luck guys :)

Is this on their regular website? I looked at the tours for the osteopathic campus and there was only one in December, but I can only go this week.
I believe I signed up on my workday account. They have specific dates for campus tour. I dont believe they will do a "walk in" tour. But, if I were you, I will give them a call and ask.

I talks about that in this post

I was just reading your post and you mentioned the area of KC around campus is bad. What do you mean by that? Like sketchy and unsafe? I’ve heard that KC is not the safest. I’m not familiar with it at all, but are there places to live outside the city that would have a reasonable commute (30 mins or less) to campus?

I was just reading your post and you mentioned the area of KC around campus is bad. What do you mean by that? Like sketchy and unsafe? I’ve heard that KC is not the safest. I’m not familiar with it at all, but are there places to live outside the city that would have a reasonable commute (30 mins or less) to campus?
KC in all respects is probably on the safer side of most American cities. The area around our campus is rough, but it's not the worst part of the city. I'd say just avoid any portions of the city east of Troost Ave. Which is the unofficial divide from the city and the rough areas of it. I wouldn't be walking around at night, don't leave your car unlocked, and don't keep valuables in your car in plain sight, but this is just generally good advice for any city tbh

I would say if you're looking for good and quiet areas under 30 minutes commute, check out north KC (I live here currently), overland park and Lenexa are great as well. I think some folks live in riverside, and a good chunk have apartments near the rivermarket, which are both close to campus.

I've never felt unsafe on our campus with how much security there is. They're always there at the entry points, you can't get in without your ID or parking pass, and we have a way to ping KCU security to walk you to your car if it's dead at night.

The area around the campus is sketchy, I wouldn’t walk around the area off campus at night. With that said KCU has a lot of security and I never felt unsafe while on campus. I would get to school at like 5:30 some days to get a study room and there was always security around and they are more than happy to walk with you to your car if you want. Best places to live within 30 min are in north Kansas City, it’s pretty nice up there and has a lot less crime than Downtown KC.

KC in all respects is probably on the safer side of most American cities. The area around our campus is rough, but it's not the worst part of the city. I'd say just avoid any portions of the city east of Troost Ave. Which is the unofficial divide from the city and the rough areas of it. I wouldn't be walking around at night, don't leave your car unlocked, and don't keep valuables in your car in plain sight, but this is just generally good advice for any city tbh

I would say if you're looking for good and quiet areas under 30 minutes commute, check out north KC (I live here currently), overland park and Lenexa are great as well. I think some folks live in riverside, and a good chunk have apartments near the rivermarket, which are both close to campus.

I've never felt unsafe on our campus with how much security there is. They're always there at the entry points, you can't get in without your ID or parking pass, and we have a way to ping KCU security to walk you to your car if it's dead at night.
So I agree with everything you said except the bold. Kansas City is one of the more dangerous cities in America. If you Google “most dangerous cities in US” KC is usually in the top 10 or top 20. With that said if you just use some common sense when living in any big city you’ll be fine. And don’t live in Westport like I did lol

Use common sense and you'll be fine. (Just like any major city in the United States). I'll echo above/don't walk alone off campus- but there is really no reason to ever need to do that/in my first 5 months here I dont think any of my friends have ever need to do that lol

Just putting it out there. If you DM any of the current MS1s-MS4s, do not be rude or sassy. We are all here to help. This is not the attitude you want to go into interviews with, just FYI.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
hi y'all! I was wondering when we think 11/5 interviewees might hear back?

So I agree with everything you said except the bold. Kansas City is one of the more dangerous cities in America. If you Google “most dangerous cities in US” KC is usually in the top 10 or top 20. With that said if you just use some common sense when living in any big city you’ll be fine. And don’t live in Westport like I did lol
I stand corrected, I also have spent my fair share of time in Chicago so my perception of KC might be a bit skewed lol. Although I wholeheartedly agree that Westport is very sketchy

As someone who grew up in KC, I can confirm. Definitely some really rough areas but also a lot of really nice areas! I would recommend looking more in the NKC area rather than Overland Park/Lenexa or similar KS suburbs due to the traffic you will face coming up from that area.

Reactions: 3 users
Just checked my workday and it’s says Joplin campus. Does that mean I am only being considered for Joplin? I’m pretty sure I selected Kansas City as my preference, but now I’m nervous that I may have selected either.

Just checked my workday and it’s says Joplin campus. Does that mean I am only being considered for Joplin? I’m pretty sure I selected Kansas City as my preference, but now I’m nervous that I may have selected either.
pretty sure you can go back to your secondary app (i remember being stressed about the same thing) and see which one you hit

Are there any current Canadian KCUCOM students here who I can PM?

Anyone hear back yet from the November 5th interview date?

Anybody who didn't receive II after first round of application review ended up receiving II? I'm in this situation and wondering if there is still hope of II.