2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an email acceptance at the Kansas City campus!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Hey guys! If you have an additional LOR that you'd like to add to your file, how would you go about that? Just curious since we're usually not allowed to see our LORs so I would hope there is a way for the recommender to send it in themselves.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! If you have an additional LOR that you'd like to add to your file, how would you go about that? Just curious since we're usually not allowed to see our LORs so I would hope there is a way for the recommender to send it in themselves.
You have your recommender send it themselves to the schools email

Reactions: 1 users
Mine sent it as a hard copy via mail

Agreed on cost for RM vs NKC, I was planning on moving into RM but decided the cost compared to an apartment here in north KC was much nicer.

Also for those that aren't familiar with KC, there is North KC proper (literally named North Kansas City), but everyone here just refers to anything north of the river that US-169 and I-29 cross as "northland", places like Briarcliff, Zona Rosa, Gladstone, Clay County etc.

It's nice up here, you've got pretty much all the amenities you'll want/need, traffic is non-existent (tbf traffic in KC is usually not a huge issue), and its quiet.
What are some apartment complexes in North KC that students typically live in? Currently looking for a 1B and everything looks so expensive in the areas I've been looking at (RM west, 909 walnut, etc.). Not really familiar with the KC area.

What are some apartment complexes in North KC that students typically live in? Currently looking for a 1B and everything looks so expensive in the areas I've been looking at (RM west, 909 walnut, etc.). Not really familiar with the KC area.
There were some suggestions earlier in this thread that may not be listed here but I personally know students and have been to their apartments at

The Landing at Briarcliff (probably most expensive option of these but also extremely nice)
Kinsley Forest
The Denton
Heights at Linden Square

All are within a 12-15 minute drive from campus and safe

There were some suggestions earlier in this thread that may not be listed here but I personally know students and have been to their apartments at

The Landing at Briarcliff (probably most expensive option of these but also extremely nice)
Kinsley Forest
The Denton
Heights at Linden Square

All are within a 12-15 minute drive from campus and safe
Wow they are all pretty expensive for the most part lol.

Wow they are all pretty expensive for the most part lol.
Yeah unfortunately most people (myself included) had rent increase on them about 200 a month from last year to this year and i've heard of even higher increases downtown.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah unfortunately most people (myself included) had rent increase on them about 200 a month from last year to this year and i've heard of even higher increases downtown.
That's pretty wild considering we're in the Midwest (so much for low cost of living)

That's pretty wild considering we're in the Midwest (so much for low cost of living)
There are more lowkey apartments around north KC. I personally used apartments.com and zillow to scope out prices before I came to KC and then personally called like 7 places to gauge what the average CoL was for certain units. You can also grab yourself a roommate to drop the cost in half, a lot of people did that these last two years in our class

There are more lowkey apartments around north KC. I personally used apartments.com and zillow to scope out prices before I came to KC and then personally called like 7 places to gauge what the average CoL was for certain units. You can also grab yourself a roommate to drop the cost in half, a lot of people did that these last two years in our class

I’m on the waitlist, but I started looking at some apartments on apartmentlist.com. They have partnerships with some apartment complexes and in general have discounted prices (probably could save $100+ in rent each month depending on the complex). I just can’t sign a lease until I know for sure but maybe this could be useful for someone else!

Gonna throw in a plug for Woodstone at Metro North Crossing. Got a 1BR for $1000. It’s a brand new complex with construction expected to be completed in July. If anyone decides to live there, let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna throw in a plug for Woodstone at Metro North Crossing. Got a 1BR for $1000. It’s a brand new complex with construction expected to be completed in July. If anyone decides to live there, let me know!
That's pretty far north! Is that a long commute?

That's pretty far north! Is that a long commute?
There are a few different routes but it’s around 15 min (12 miles) from campus. Honestly around the same time it would take me to hop on the campus bus and make it to campus during my undergrad days many centuries ago.

Is there a group me for accepted students or is it just the Facebook page?

Hello, I’m still on the waitlist, and I was wondering if KCU sends out notifications on a specific day of the week. This wait is burning me out… Thank you.

Accepted a seat at KC campus yesterday!
So excited!!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Was accepted off the KC campus waitlist and will 100% be attending. So happy!!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I am currently selling my med kit for $600 (school is selling it for around $1,000). DM me if interested!

Can any current or former students speak to their experiences at Century Towers, right across the street from KCU?

Just got offered a seat, have until tomorrow, and I am feeling really undecided. Currently holding an A at WVSOM, I am a NY resident.

Just got offered a seat, have until tomorrow, and I am feeling really undecided. Currently holding an A at WVSOM, I am a NY resident.
Congrats on the multiple acceptances !! Can you please let the thread know what you decide ? I am currently waitlisted to this program which is my top choice, and its being a huge downer on me -.-

Can any current or former students speak to their experiences at Century Towers, right across the street from KCU?
I don't live there but from what i hear:
Pros: cheap, convenient walk to school, lots of KCU students around
Cons: lots of KCU students around, you get what you pay for, the landlord sucks (but i heard she got fired)

Any current student have discord that can DM me: Silver#7393
TIA

Last edited:
Does anyone know the highest volume period for waitlist movement? Like are there any specific dates (like Jun 1 for example) that are deadlines for deciding on acceptances or something along those lines? It would appear that KCU has already had quite a bit of movement already, but I obviously have no idea how many seats they typically fill through the waitlist.

Does the movement usually slow from here on until the start of class? Really difficult gauging how hard to commit to alternative plans (housing etc)😩

Does anyone know the highest volume period for waitlist movement? Like are there any specific dates (like Jun 1 for example) that are deadlines for deciding on acceptances or something along those lines? It would appear that KCU has already had quite a bit of movement already, but I obviously have no idea how many seats they typically fill through the waitlist.

Does the movement usually slow from here on until the start of class? Really difficult gauging how hard to commit to alternative plans (housing etc)😩
No one really knows but it moves up until 1st day of classes.

I’m on the same boat. I have to sign a lease by Monday 6pm EST in Knoxville, TN for LMU DCOM. But KCU is my first choice but I’m really not trying to move my life after settling in a new state ._.

• Care
Can any current students give me the lowdown on the ipad they "give" us? Can I sell it and buy a better one?

Can any current students give me the lowdown on the ipad they "give" us? Can I sell it and buy a better one?
Technically, no. But I know that a lot of students have done this, so I think you should be fine

I was able to receive the acceptance email on Thursday! :giggle: been on the waitlist for about 7 months... I'm here and celebrating!!! Now gotta look for apartments ASAP :rofl:. Don't give up team! (3.2 undergrad GPA/504 MCAT)

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I was able to receive the acceptance email on Thursday! :giggle: been on the waitlist for about 7 months... I'm here and celebrating!!! Now gotta look for apartments ASAP :rofl:. Don't give up team! (3.2 undergrad GPA/504 MCAT)
Congrats on the A!! Did you do a post-bacc? jw

Hard decision I wouldn’t have thought I’d have to do a couple of months ago but I’m withdrawing my acceptance so I hope it goes to one of you here waiting to hear back! 💜

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats on the A!! Did you do a post-bacc? jw
Thank you! I did a Master's in Bio. It was similar to an SMP and I got a 3.8 on it. I fully believe in the upward trend's help on my grades. Good luck to you.

• Love
Thank you! I did a Master's in Bio. It was similar to an SMP and I got a 3.8 on it. I fully believe in the upward trend's help on my grades. Good luck to you.
yee I was gonna say because I had similar stats (3.3-3.4 gpa and 508 MCAT), but no SMP. I got rejected after II :(

• Care
Don't give up y'all. I was accepted last month MCAT 494 cGPA 3.6 and No SMP. Don't let your stats define you. Be yourself and keep moving forward! If anyone wants to ask me a question, feel free to dm me.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't give up y'all. I was accepted last month MCAT 494 cGPA 3.6 and No SMP. Don't let your stats define you. Be yourself and keep moving forward! If anyone wants to ask me a question, feel free to dm me.
Agree! This school is super holistic in how they review applicants. 3.58/501

Selling another med kit for my friend. Has everything you need for the first 2 years. DM me if interested!

Speaking of med kits, could I get away with using a $15 Amazon stethoscope :rofl:

• Hmm
I just visited the KC campus, and OMG, I'm crossing my fingers and toes for more waitlist movement!

Reactions: 9 users
It kind of feels this is the case, but just to confirm, it's probably not wise to ask the admissions office for a gauge on my personal waitlist chances right? The context would be having to commit to another program (non DO) and finalizing housing which are pretty large financial dilemmas. I know others are in the same boat, but would it be essentially hurting my own chances by sending that kind of inquiry if I explain the circumstances?

It kind of feels this is the case, but just to confirm, it's probably not wise to ask the admissions office for a gauge on my personal waitlist chances right? The context would be having to commit to another program (non DO) and finalizing housing which are pretty large financial dilemmas. I know others are in the same boat, but would it be essentially hurting my own chances by sending that kind of inquiry if I explain the circumstances?
They won't give it to you. The admissions office keeps pretty tight-lipped on the waitlist and its movement, just normally says that it will continue until the end of July and that it is an unranked list.

Was accepted off the WL today to Joplin. Will not be accepting so I hope it goes to one of y'all!

Reactions: 5 users
To people currently on the facebook group,
I was wondering how long it took for you to be added. I have submitted my request for a few days now, but haven't been added. I have some questions regarding apartments and medical kits I wanted to reach out to others about. Thank you.