2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't mean to put you down or anything, but what were your stats? I am wondering if I may get a secondary based on the stats of those who may/may not have received the secondary.
No worries. 3.1sGPA (upward trend) 3.5cGPA 508 MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. Those are some solid stats. You will 100% get into another school this cycle. I know it :)
I really appreciate you saying this. It’s been a little tough lately and I needed to hear that. Best of luck to you! :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have finished the secondary responses, did you use all of the 500 word count?

Got an email finally saying they have received my AACOMAS app. I added this school Aug 1.

Reactions: 1 user
I am struggling with the prompt, "We are often too busy to plan future activities. Describe a time when you were so busy you had to react to situations rather than plan for them." Does anyone know what they are even looking for? Should I try to focus on events that I could have planned rather than something like a family emergency that I just had to react to?

I am struggling with the prompt, "We are often too busy to plan future activities. Describe a time when you were so busy you had to react to situations rather than plan for them." Does anyone know what they are even looking for? Should I try to focus on events that I could have planned rather than something like a family emergency that I just had to react to?
Literally could be anything, don't think too deeply into what they are asking. If you want theme to focus on... I suggest "adaptability and time management." I wrote about a time when my flight to Japan got cancelled the night before we were going then we just found an alternative lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a R pre secondary. I have a 503/3.5 SMP GPA from a well known DO school. Good luck to everyone else!

• Care
Rejected pre-secondary 3.5 505 ☹

• Care
cGPA: 3.5X, sGPA: 3.3X, MCAT: 506
Pre secondary rejection

hang in there, everyone.

• Care
cGPA: 3.5X, sGPA: 3.3X, MCAT: 506
Pre secondary rejection

hang in there, everyone.
Honestly dude I find this quite ridiculous. When I last applied to KCU (2019) with a sub 500 MCAT they emailed me back saying their averages were 503/3.3 sGPA. Now its 506/3.6?? The level of competition is getting so fierce. We will all make it one way or another, but damn, its rough out here...

Reactions: 2 users
How did you all answer this question? "Besides KCU, what are your top five choices for osteopathic medical schools?" - such a strange question to ask haha

How did you all answer this question? "Besides KCU, what are your top five choices for osteopathic medical schools?" - such a strange question to ask haha

I answered truthfully. I want specifically to go to KC, so I listed some schools that are geographically nearby as well as others that aren't as close but have a program I like. I've read in some other thread that it's just a marketing thing and doesn't have much of an impact on our app

I answered truthfully. I want specifically to go to KC, so I listed some schools that are geographically nearby as well as others that aren't as close but have a program I like. I've read in some other thread that it's just a marketing thing and doesn't have much of an impact on our app
Ahh makes sense! Thanks so much :)

Anyone else get rejected pre-secondary and get an email today inviting you to apply to their Masters of Biosciences program?
I know sometimes school will put you on a mailing list and send you bs invites to their masters programs 🙄 but idk this email seemed genuine and unique to me..
Thoughts ? Anyone get this email as well or know if this is a thing they do ?

Anyone else get rejected pre-secondary and get an email today inviting you to apply to their Masters of Biosciences program?
I know sometimes school will put you on a mailing list and send you bs invites to their masters programs 🙄 but idk this email seemed genuine and unique to me..
Neither genuine nor unique...I got the email 2 years ago when I applied as well and I am currently in a MS in medical sciences and I got this email again today. It made me realize they didn't even look at my application cause if they did they'd realize im in the exact same program right now at another school. Truly disappointing and I might write them an email telling how disappointed I am in their admissions faculty.

Hey peeps! Posted this on the Joplin page but figured I’d post here too. I’m an OMS-1 at the Joplin campus but I’m happy to answer any questions about KCU/first year stuff so far! I feel like my app cycle was literally yesterday so keep your head up and try not to stress too much! Lmk if I can answer questions about KCU! I’m so glad I went here I love this school so much so I’m always happy to chat about it!

This is a thing they do to get your $$$. HIGHLY recommend AGAINST their masters program!!! From their MS class of 2021, they only accepted ~30 people into their medical school out of a class of 130. They literally have not updated their class of 21 outcomes on their website for this reason. They say they give priority to their masters students but they really do not. They also said they "reserve 40-60 seats for the MS students" however LESS than that were accepted this past cycle. Over half the people from their class now have no acceptances and are 30k in debt. I personally know of someone who was rejected their first cycle and got the email to apply to the masters program. They got accepted to the MS program, completed the program, and then rejected from the medical school AGAIN. I also personally know of 2 people who ACED the MS program (one with a 3.8 GPA and one with a 3.9 GPA) who got waitlisted at the med school and ultimately did not get in. Please do not take these stories lightly and do all your research before deciding to attend. There are some success stories but a lot more stories of people who didn't get in even after getting near perfect GPAs in the program. If you have any questions DM me.

Last edited:
Neither genuine nor unique...I got the email 2 years ago when I applied as well and I am currently in a MS in medical sciences and I got this email again today. It made me realize they didn't even look at my application cause if they did they'd realize im in the exact same program right now at another school. Truly disappointing and I might write them an email telling how disappointed I am in their admissions faculty.
I get your frustration, but be very careful of how you approach that email you may be very well burning bridges to the school and possibly other schools. As long as you write the email in a professional context and NOT assuming anything then you are good. I would rather you confirm first on how they screen the applicants (most likely will give a vague answer) or maybe what aspects of your application need some work. Better yet, here are two choices I recommend:

1) Write an appeal as to why they should take a second look at your application
2) Don't write anything and just focus on your improving your application.

It took me 4 tries to get into medical school and sure I felt frustrated but honestly applying is the hardest part. Don't be frustrated (though it's normal), just pick your head up and continue. If you keep staying in a depressed, helpless, and resentful state towards schools that rejected you then you aren't doing yourself any favor. If you really want this, move on and unfortunately yes it is business but so is practicing medicine later on which you will also find frustrating.

YOU WILL GET IN SOMEWHERE! As long as you have the drive to continue, if not that's okay.

Did anyone else get this email today: Your application to KCU-COM is complete and you are in a qualified status, which means you have met our academic criteria. The first review of your application did not result in an interview invitation. The application cycle continues throughout the year, so your application will be reviewed periodically. You will be notified via email if your status changes.

Is this just a nice rejection haha

Reactions: 3 users
GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!

Edit: Stats 510/3.6 reapp

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Yes, and no I don't think so. It probably means exactly what it says and as the application cycle goes on they'll pull more students from this pile to the interview pile.

II received on 8/24
Complete on 8/16
Canadian Applicant
LM 66

Did anyone else get this email today: Your application to KCU-COM is complete and you are in a qualified status, which means you have met our academic criteria. The first review of your application did not result in an interview invitation. The application cycle continues throughout the year, so your application will be reviewed periodically. You will be notified via email if your status changes.

Is this just a nice rejection haha
I got that message last cycle and did not end up getting an interview

• Sad
Just got my secondary last friday, and submitted it today. Hoping to hear back quick haha

How?? Those are above average stats!

I think KCU really does embody the idea of a holistic review -- even today, with the people getting IIs, stats have varied considerably. Typing this and falling in love with them all over again lol

I think KCU really does embody the idea of a holistic review -- even today, with the people getting IIs, stats have varied considerably. Typing this and falling in love with them all over again lol
I completely agree. Stats aren't everything!

I am Med student here and I don’t agree with you and I do so respectfully. I have asked my fellow COB students and not every student in this program wants to go into medicine some of them go to do phds, other careers in healthcare etc. So not necessarily true!
I went through the COB program. In our class of 132, only 1-2 were pre dental and only 2-3 were looking at other medical professions. So it is safe to say that over 90% of students wanted to matriculate into their medical school, but only roughly 30 were accepted. They additionally rejected many COB students pre-interview. So, while you may disagree, I went through the program and saw so many of my peers (including myself!!) go through the heartbreak of not getting accepted after being fed lies from admissions all year long and being promised outcomes that were never met. The program looks great from the outside- that's why so many of us did the program. However, it ended up being a huge disappointment and they didn't match the numbers they said would get into the medical school from the COB program (40-60).

Last edited:
How long did it take people to receive the follow up email after selecting an interview time?