2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take people to receive the follow up email after selecting an interview time?
Do you mean like the confirmation email? i got that immediately after

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, same! I was just surprised that there was no earlier date available!!

II today. I completed my secondary a couple weeks ago. OOS no ties. I scheduled my interview for early October. Good luck everyone!

II tonight at 6 ET! Interview dates were all in early November. I was complete last week.

I went through the COB program. In our class of 132, only 1-2 were pre dental and only 2-3 were looking at other medical professions. So it is safe to say that over 90% of students wanted to matriculate into their medical school, but only roughly 30 were accepted. They additionally rejected many COB students pre-interview. So, while you may disagree, I went through the program and saw so many of my peers (including myself!!) go through the heartbreak of not getting accepted after being fed lies from admissions all year long and being promised outcomes that were never met. The program looks great from the outside- that's why so many of us did the program. However, it ended up being a huge disappointment and they didn't match the numbers they said would get into the medical school from the COB program (40-60).
You realize many people who do the master's degree apply to medical schools all over the country and many students get accepted elsewhere and chose to go to those schools. Stop with all the doom and gloom about the master's program, yeah they may have only matriculated 30 students, but how many other students got into medical schools elsewhere? Don't bash a program just because you failed to be successful from it.

Reactions: 2 users
After you guys submitted your secondary application, did you get any email afterwards saying anything about your application being completed? I submitted my application on 7/23 and have only received an email saying it was submitted.

Wow that's crazy short
The interview is 3 15 minute interviews with 3 different faculty or adcoms. They are not "watching" you the entire time, the only time that will be recorded for adcom purposes are your answers and how your interviewers perceive you. However, I'm not sure if they've kept the written essay question or not.

The interview is blind, they have no info other than your name and I believe the undergrad you went to

Overall I felt it was really laid back and I felt I had time to fully answer even if it was only 15 minutes, best of luck to those interviewing! You got this!

Reactions: 4 users
How long will they send a complete email after submitting secondary? Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait so is it 3x10 min interviews plus writing activity and team activity or does this make up one of the 10 min interviews?
It's:
1) 3, 10min 1-on-1 interviews
2) Team activity
3) Written prompt
4) Campus tour (if they have in-person)
5) Q & A with student ambassadors

Reactions: 2 users
It's:
2) Team activity
3) Written prompt
Are the 1-on-1 interviews blinded? Or is it an open file? I only want to confirm this bc I remember reading somewhere from KCU that you should re-read your application and secondary answers. Also, do you know if the MMI asks more traditional med interview qs, or are they the more ethical-based MMI qs?

Last edited:
Are the 1-on-1 interviews blinded? Or is it an open file? I only want to confirm this bc I remember reading somewhere from KCU that you should re-read your application and secondary answers. Also, do you know if the MMI asks more traditional med interview qs, or are they the more ethical-based MMI qs?
I think all they had was basic demographic information, they don't have your MCAT, grades, extracurricular, or PS. They'll tell you before you meet them.
As for your second question, it's both. You're given 1 question to answer for each interviewer

Reactions: 1 users
interesting bc I have friends who went through it and said the opposite! SMPs are tricky bc if you dont have good gpa or improvement or interpersonal skills you won’t get the interview! It’s a good option just not everything people assume it to be!
I didn't go through COB but a good amount of students in my class did. Most people go to KCU to do the DO program, which makes sense given that the COB program is taught by many professors who also teach the medical school.

Last edited:
Canadian OMSI here at KC campus, if you have any questions let me know or DM me

• Care
Anyone know how long an admission offer would be valid for with rolling admissions, if one was given?

You realize many people who do the master's degree apply to medical schools all over the country and many students get accepted elsewhere and chose to go to those schools. Stop with all the doom and gloom about the master's program, yeah they may have only matriculated 30 students, but how many other students got into medical schools elsewhere? Don't bash a program just because you failed to be successful from it.
this is honestly such a narrow, toxic, and ridiculous response. maybe take a look at the actual numbers before coming at someone with ZERO information on the program. if they said 40-60 people would get in, and only 30 did, i'd say thats problematic, at best. from my class, only 2 people went to other schools. so before you get on your high horse, please stop spreading information that you literally have 0 knowledge on. go ahead and ask the 50+ students who were fed lies and ended up not matriculating anywhere whether or not this is a good program. unless youve gone through it, dont speak on it. i'm not "bashing the program" because i wasnt personally successful from it- it's for every single qualified applicant who was promised something and didn't receive it. anyway. im done responding to you about the COB program. ultimately the outcomes don't lie, and theres a reason the class of 2021 numbers haven't been posted on their website. whoever you are, good luck to you, hope you never have to experience the ridiculousness that my class had to go through.

Last edited:
I didn't go through COB but a good amount of students in my class did. Most people go to KCU to do the DO program, which makes sense given that the COB program is taught by many professors who also teach the medical school.
yeah exactly! most people go thru COB to get into the DO school. so if they didnt accept the amount they said that they would, its super problematic and becomes a money sucking machine.

hey! I just wanted to provide another perspective on this- I also went through the COB program like the original post, and I unfortunately agree with them. I got a 4.0 in the program and didn't get in. So admissions really did screw over our class and only 3 people went on to other schools. The faculty is great, the education is good, but unfortunately, the program just doesn't do what it promises to do. I wouldn't recommend it if you're trying to get into the medical school, which is really it's only real purpose.

interesting bc I have friends who went through it and said the opposite! SMPs are tricky bc if you dont have good gpa or improvement or interpersonal skills you won’t get the interview! It’s a good option just not everything people assume it to be!
hey! I agree with OP on this one- the SMP didn't do what it was supposed to, at least for class of 2021. I got a 4.0 and several of my friends did too. We got interviews, then were waitlisted and our applications were never looked at again. It sucks because they didn't meet the numbers they actually promised us. Hopefully we get in this cycle, though!

Hi! Just wondering if anyone here is a current med student at KCU who applied with a January score? If so, can you explain the process a little and if they waited for your score, offered an interview in Feb/March, if you were waitlisted, etc? I'm trying to decide if I should apply now or just wait until next cycle. Thanks!!

Hi! Just wondering if anyone here is a current med student at KCU who applied with a January score? If so, can you explain the process a little and if they waited for your score, offered an interview in Feb/March, if you were waitlisted, etc? I'm trying to decide if I should apply now or just wait until next cycle. Thanks!!
I would highly advise to wait until next cycle. It's best to get your score in, do your applications and secondaries ASAP when everything opens in May and June. This way you're ready to go in the earliest admission waves. Best of luck

Reactions: 3 users
yeah exactly! most people go thru COB to get into the DO school. so if they didnt accept the amount they said that they would, its super problematic and becomes a money sucking machine.
It's best to think about the situation surrounding the last app cycle and this one, as well as the overall competitiveness of med school admissions. KCU had a record high 11,000 applications last cycle so competition has been fierce. The more the time goes on, the more I see people with my stats, as a 2019 applicant that got admitted, denied even an interview.

Your frustration is understandable, but recognize that medical school is so highly competitive that you can't take what any medical school tells you at face value. I've been told by faculty and admin at other med schools before I applied that I was a "great candidate" only to see a pre-II rejection. It sucks a ton, but this is all a giant game and you have to realize that a school does not owe anyone an acceptance, especially when they have 10,999 other canditiates applying for the same seats.

this is honestly such a narrow, toxic, and ridiculous response. maybe take a look at the actual numbers before coming at someone with ZERO information on the program. if they said 40-60 people would get in, and only 30 did, i'd say thats problematic, at best. from my class, only 2 people went to other schools. so before you get on your high horse, please stop spreading information that you literally have 0 knowledge on. go ahead and ask the 50+ students who were fed lies and ended up not matriculating anywhere whether or not this is a good program. unless youve gone through it, dont speak on it. i'm not "bashing the program" because i wasnt personally successful from it- it's for every single qualified applicant who was promised something and didn't receive it. anyway. im done responding to you about the COB program. ultimately the outcomes don't lie, and theres a reason the class of 2021 numbers haven't been posted on their website. whoever you are, good luck to you, hope you never have to experience the ridiculousness that my class had to go through.
I was not trying to be narrow or toxic, I'm just going by the data I have access to as a COM student. This is the data from the 2019 end of fiscal year report, which is the latest data they have published. For the previous 5 years before 2020 they accepted on average over 50% of the graduating COB class into the COM class (as opposed to a 17% COM acceptance rate outside of the COB program). I would be shocked to see it jump so low in just 1 year but I guess it is possible based on it being a COVID year. Id be happy to update this information for you once they publish it and I wish you luck on your application cycle.

1631059975557.png

I was not trying to be narrow or toxic, I'm just going by the data I have access to as a COM student. This is the data from the 2019 end of fiscal year report, which is the latest data they have published. For the previous 5 years before 2020 they accepted on average over 50% of the graduating COB class into the COM class (as opposed to a 17% COM acceptance rate outside of the COB program). I would be shocked to see it jump so low in just 1 year but I guess it is possible based on it being a COVID year. Id be happy to update this information for you once they publish it and I wish you luck on your application cycle.

View attachment 343106
Thanks for posting that. Yes, they have traditionally accepted 50% or more from the COB class, however that is not the case for 2021. I reached out to the dean and he admitted that the outcomes are extremely low for class of 2021 and they will not be posting outcomes for another year or two until they increase. I think that’s pretty lousy and not a true testament to the outcomes from completing the COB program. It could be such a low number due to COVID, however that’s not a great justification. Hopefully folks who were rejected this past cycle are able to get in eventually.

It's best to think about the situation surrounding the last app cycle and this one, as well as the overall competitiveness of med school admissions. KCU had a record high 11,000 applications last cycle so competition has been fierce. The more the time goes on, the more I see people with my stats, as a 2019 applicant that got admitted, denied even an interview.

Your frustration is understandable, but recognize that medical school is so highly competitive that you can't take what any medical school tells you at face value. I've been told by faculty and admin at other med schools before I applied that I was a "great candidate" only to see a pre-II rejection. It sucks a ton, but this is all a giant game and you have to realize that a school does not owe anyone an acceptance, especially when they have 10,999 other canditiates applying for the same seats.
Yeah my peers and I have definitely learned the hard way that you can’t take what Med schools say to heart. My frustration lies in the fact that the program is nearly 40k and didn’t do what it was advertised to do, which really just sucks after completing it successfully. Hopefully it’s all worth it in the end, and hopefully this application cycle is less frantic and crazy as the last one.

I would highly advise to wait until next cycle. It's best to get your score in, do your applications and secondaries ASAP when everything opens in May and June. This way you're ready to go in the earliest admission waves. Best of luck
Thank you! I’m leaning towards that option anyway, it’s just hard to justify taking a year off after being in school my whole life lol. I would still like to hear any stories of people applying with a January score so if anyone is familiar with this please let me know !!

Completely agree. I tell people, just because you went to COB, doesn't mean the school owes you anything. Apply broad. Don't just focus on 1 school.

can a current student expand on the curriculum a bit? the website doesn't do a great job of giving details about this

can a current student expand on the curriculum a bit? the website doesn't do a great job of giving details about this
It's a 2 pass system, first year you'll get all the biochem, histology, embryology, anatomy and physiology down. The system courses are broken down into blocks, each separated into "organ blocks". For example, you have Neuroendocrine, where you'll discuss the CNS, neuroanatomy and the normal physiology, along with the endocrine system as they're intertwined together.

Towards the end of your first year, they will start easing you into pathology with MOD (mechanisms of disease), where you'll cover almost all the micro for boards, start learning some pathology and get slightly more clinical med.

Second year is almost all pharmacology, pathology, and clinical med. You're given much more "board style" questions (Patient presents with *blank* and then a bunch of buzzwords to clue you into the pathology or what pharm agent you should/shouldn't give). This is your "second" pass, as you're doing the same courses, but now heavily focused on path and pharm for each.

Hope this helps clear it up.

Reactions: 7 users
It's a 2 pass system, first year you'll get all the biochem, histology, embryology, anatomy and physiology down. The system courses are broken down into blocks, each separated into "organ blocks". For example, you have Neuroendocrine, where you'll discuss the CNS, neuroanatomy and the normal physiology, along with the endocrine system as they're intertwined together.

Towards the end of your first year, they will start easing you into pathology with MOD (mechanisms of disease), where you'll cover almost all the micro for boards, start learning some pathology and get slightly more clinical med.

Second year is almost all pharmacology, pathology, and clinical med. You're given much more "board style" questions (Patient presents with *blank* and then a bunch of buzzwords to clue you into the pathology or what pharm agent you should/shouldn't give). This is your "second" pass, as you're doing the same courses, but now heavily focused on path and pharm for each.

Hope this helps clear it up.
thanks so much this was great!

Complete 8/25. Got an email today that said I was complete and in qualified status but initial review did not result in an II. :( I'm sad about it because I was very excited about them. They say that my app will be re-evaluated periodically--should I take this at face value? or is this essentially a nice R email?

Complete 8/25. Got an email today that said I was complete and in qualified status but initial review did not result in an II. :( I'm sad about it because I was very excited about them. They say that my app will be re-evaluated periodically--should I take this at face value? or is this essentially a nice R email?
Following :(

One of my friends got this email last year and got an interview in February then was waitlisted and didn’t come off of it. Doesn’t mean a straight out rejection though, so still keep some faith and if you get an interview make sure you prep thoroughly!!

It's:
2) Team activity
3) Written prompt
I dont think we have the written prompt this year. It doesnt say on the email or online?

I read the same about them asking file-specific things. Super confused as to whether its blind or not

I read the same about them asking file-specific things. Super confused as to whether its blind or not
I went to one of their recent virtual info sessions and I was told that it would be close-filed. I hope someone else could validate this or correct me if I'm wrong.

I went to one of their recent virtual info sessions and I was told that it would be close-filed. I hope someone else could validate this or correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank you. DId they mention a written prompt also?

Thank you. DId they mention a written prompt also?

So I just gave a call to the KCU-COM admissions office! She confirmed to me that it is entirely closed-file (both the 1-on-1 and group portions) and that they got rid of the writing portion this year. The group interview is basically where the invigilator gives the group a problem and they will be assessing how we work individually within the group to address the problem. Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
So I just gave a call to the KCU-COM admissions office and spoke with someone who is actually going to be at my II tomorrow! She confirmed to me that it is entirely closed-file (both the 1-on-1 and group portions) and that they got rid of the writing portion this year. The group interview is basically where the invigilator gives the group a problem and they will be assessing how we work individually within the group to address the problem. Hope this helps! :)
Thank you so much for your help! Appreciate it :) Good Luck!

Have my interview tomorrow. First one of the season. Excited and nervous. Any tips from experienced folks?
Also, how long after the interview can we expect a decision?

Have my interview tomorrow. First one of the season. Excited and nervous. Any tips from experienced folks?
Also, how long after the interview can we expect a decision?

Mine is tomorrow as well! I read from last year's thread that there's a ~ 6 week wait time to hear about A/WL/R decisions post-II. Good luck to you tomorrow!