2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine is tomorrow as well! I read from last year's thread that there's a ~ 6 week wait time to hear about A/WL/R decisions post-II. Good luck to you tomorrow!
Good luck everyone! Mines the week after I think. Let us know how it goes 😅

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont think we have the written prompt this year. It doesnt say on the email or online?
Oh, I'm not sure lol. Looking at the recent posts seems like they got rid of it. Neither a good nor bad thing. Best of luck and hope to see most of you here.

Reactions: 1 user
"Your application has been submitted. Please allow our admissions staff time to process your application and other materials. Further communication will be sent once your application has been reviewed."
Is this some form of your application is complete or should I be expecting that email yet? This is the most recent communication I have received so not sure if my app is actually complete (it should be???)

Members don't see this ad :)
"Your application has been submitted. Please allow our admissions staff time to process your application and other materials. Further communication will be sent once your application has been reviewed."
Is this some form of your application is complete or should I be expecting that email yet? This is the most recent communication I have received so not sure if my app is actually complete (it should be???)
same question!

same question!
That is the last email I received before the II. I believe it is the “complete” email.

You’re welcome! I submitted my secondary on 08/10. Received II on 08/24.
Thank you! I submitted my secondary Thursday last week and still waiting. Really want to go to this school.
Do you have any ideas about how they select someone for an interview?

Thank you! I submitted my secondary Thursday last week and still waiting. Really want to go to this school.
Do you have any ideas about how they select someone for an interview?
pray you get that II! This is my top choice also so I feel you!

I honestly have no idea how interview selection goes. My impression is that they’re very holistic given the range of MCAT scores by those that have IIs already. I’m on the lower end of the MCAT range and was actually shocked I received an II this early. If you match their mission and your stats are solid, I’m sure you have pretty good chance!

Reactions: 2 users
EDIT: Nevermind. Sorry y'all. I got my information from previous posts.

Hey y'all, I completed my secondary on 9/01/21, and havent received the completion email; do they send one out or is there anything else I need to do? my secondary portal has red dot on the review section./

Last edited:
Just received an II (OOS)! This is one of my top choices and I wasn't expecting anything from them! Super excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck with all your interviews! Reach out with any questions!

Reactions: 5 users
Is the 'review tab' on the secondary portal suppose to be red after just submitting a secondary?

Is the 'review tab' on the secondary portal suppose to be red after just submitting a secondary?
The color of the tab corresponds to what page of the application you are on, if you click around the red dot will move

got the feeling that the "qualified" email is a soft R... oh well cross it off the list

got the feeling that the "qualified" email is a soft R... oh well cross it off the list
That is possible! But it looks like there are people who are actually getting an R, so the way I see it, they could have sent us the rejection email, and sent us this one instead, so there’s still hope!

I totally missed the 21-day deadline. It is now almost 20 days late. Worth even submitting the secondary at this point?

I totally missed the 21-day deadline. It is now almost 20 days late. Worth even submitting the secondary at this point?
I personally wouldn't, they said your app gets deleted after the 21 days and I wouldn't want to spend the money for nothing.

I am someone who submitted after the 21 day deadline at day 23 and am currently attending KCU. Email admissions.

Reactions: 3 users
II received yesterday, completed 9/1/2021. NonTrad, ORM, LM 71.2, OOS

Received secondary on 8/9 submitted 8/16 received II 8/24 scheduled interview for 9/10

Received secondary on 8/9 submitted 8/16 received II 8/24 scheduled interview for 9/10
Congrats!! So can you confirm that it is close file? I’m just confused why they say to review all your apps?

Congrats!! So can you confirm that it is close file? I’m just confused why they say to review all your apps?
yes it was closed file, the interviewers each have a topic for their respective station so they ask questions regarding that topic and at the end if you have time you can ask them questions

I mean to me it seemed close file because they didn't ask me anything specific to my application.

Does anyone know how the interview is weighed compared to other components of our applications when they make decisions?

Does anyone know how the interview is weighed compared to other components of our applications when they make decisions?
They use the interview to see if you're human and you can talk to people.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly once you get to the interview your stats don't matter they want to see how your personality fits into the incoming class that they are trying to build. they want to know that you have basic communication skills and that you can be a team player because much of medicine is collaborative. So you can have stellar stats but if your interview isn't good there is a good chance you maybe be rejected or waitlisted

Honestly once you get to the interview your stats don't matter they want to see how your personality fits into the incoming class that they are trying to build. they want to know that you have basic communication skills and that you can be a team player because much of medicine is collaborative. So you can have stellar stats but if your interview isn't good there is a good chance you maybe be rejected or waitlisted
What exactly is a good interview? Do you know of anyone who got in who was a bit iffy about their performance

What exactly is a good interview? Do you know of anyone who got in who was a bit iffy about their performance
A good interview is when you are yourself, show them your personality and be honest in your answers! The interview process is very relaxed at KCU they just want to get to know you and see how you’ll fit into the community. There’s no “perfect phrase” or answer to give, promise! Don’t overthink it too much, just show them who you are and why you would make a great addition to the kcu team!

Does anyone know how the update letter process works for KCUCOM? Is it allowed? If so, do we just email the letter to the general admissions email contact?

Does anyone know how the update letter process works for KCUCOM? Is it allowed? If so, do we just email the letter to the general admissions email contact?
Hi! I sent an update letter when I applied last year and it was fine! I just sent it to the general admissions contact and kept the email very brief and to the point. I believe they’ll accept additional letters of rec too if you find someone to write one late in the game (or if you’re on the waitlist later) that’s what I did and I ended up getting off. Not sure if they made a difference but I figured anything helped.

**Late Post**
Secondary received 8/11, submitted 8/15, II 8/24, attended 9/22.
Overall great experience interviewing and it was much more relaxed than I had expected. I Will not share any information regarding the interview due to the signed NDA so please do not ask. Good luck to everyone applying and I hope that everyone who has interviewed receives good news soon! :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
II yesterday! Secondary submitted 9/8

**Late Post**
Secondary received 8/11, submitted 8/15, II 8/24, attended 9/22.
Overall great experience interviewing and it was much more relaxed than I had expected. I Will not share any information regarding the interview due to the signed NDA so please do not ask. Good luck to everyone applying and I hope that everyone who has interviewed receives good news soon! :)
Did KCU provide a decision timeline?

Yup 4-6 weeks. According to last years thread the timeline they gave us was accurate as well

Yeah just be patient. My interview last year was 11/12 and I got accepted 12/21. Just to give you folks an idea.

Does this school require 4.5 units of biochemsitry? Don't people take only one biochem class? I am off by .5 units. Does that mean I will really not be considered?

Does this school require 4.5 units of biochemsitry? Don't people take only one biochem class? I am off by .5 units. Does that mean I will really not be considered?
From their website: Biochemistry - 3 semester hours (4.5 quarter hours)

From their website: Biochemistry - 3 semester hours (4.5 quarter hours)
yes, but my school was quarter and only one quarter of biochem was required which is 4 units. And the requirements say 2 grades so that means everyone needs to take 2 biochem classes?