2021-2022 Loyola (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you, @orangezz98 for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Loyola (Stritch) Secondary Essay Prompts: (Maximum 500 words)

1. Explain how you know that you want to spend your life studying and practicing medicine. Describe how the Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (SSOM) can help you develop into the kind of person and physician you hope to become.
Minimum 100 Words

2. Social justice in the Jesuit tradition, justice due each person by virtue of their own inherent human dignity, is an essential dimension of education at SSOM. Describe what you have learned about yourself from your concrete social justice experiences. Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician.
Minimum 100 Words

3. Serving underserved and under-resourced communities is an expression of social justice. Describe an impactful experience in working with and for under-resourced communities. Explain what you have learned about yourself through this service OR what has hindered your efforts to serve others in these environments.
Minimum 100 Words

4. Describe your leadership style. Provide a specific example of how you have applied your leadership style.
Minimum 100 Words

5. Describe a non-academic personal/professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. Explain what skills, resources and/or strategies you employed to resolve the problem.
Minimum 100 Words

*******COMPLETE QUESTIONS 6-12 IF APPLICABLE*******
6. Please indicate additional grades earned, amendments to your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of experiences, and anything else you feel we should know.

7. Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere.

8. If you have not been enrolled in coursework for over two years, please let us know what you have been doing since your coursework ended.

9. Have you applied to SSOM prior to this application? If so, please list the years of your previous application submissions to SSOM and tell us how your application has improved since your previous submission.

10. Are you currently, or have you been, enrolled in any of the following programs? (listed on app portal)

11. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain below.

12. If you did not submit an advisor or committee letter, please tell us why.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm a recent grad from Loyola. For the last couple of years I've been posting an interview with the admissions dean on the Loyola SDN thread and it has gotten good feedback so I figured I should post it again. Loyola has a group of students on campus that run a podcast called "Medicus" where we interview guests about the profession of medicine and med ed.

For one of our episodes we interviewed the current admissions dean, Darrell Nabers. He talks about the admissions process at Stritch and gives, good advice to applicants about improving their chances of acceptance. He also shares some useful info for re-applicants like when to request feedback on your application and how to communicate with the admissions office. You can listen to it on the web here, but also on the various podcasting apps such as: apple | spotify | google.

We actually also have ANOTHER episode with the previous dean of admissions, Dr. Sunny Nakae, who now works at CUSM in San Bernardino. You can listen to her episode here: Web | Apple | Google | Spotify

Anyways, sorry that this comment is so long but I thought it was worth posting. We've actually been doing this for such a long time that current students have come up to me on campus and told me that these episodes helped them understand the perspective of an admissions dean and that listening to the other episodes on our feed actually gave them some insight to the stritch culture when they were interviewing and making admissions decisions.

I hope this helps! Good luck with the cycle!

Reactions: 16 users
On reddit it says that this is a low yield school given the number of applications is 14K along with BU, Drexel, and Temple and Georgetowna nd George Washington? Is there really low yield schools and should we still apply here?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On reddit it says that this is a low yield school given the number of applications is 14K along with BU, Drexel, and Temple and Georgetowna nd George Washington? Is there really low yield schools and should we still apply here?
I'd say it depends on your stats and how truly interested you are in the school. For example, my stats are on target/slightly higher, but I'm more interested because of their school mission and the location (an area I'm familiar w/ b/c of where I went to undergrad). For those reasons, I still plan to apply. If your application doesn't fit their mission, stats, or if you're not particularly invested in this school, then it may be better not to.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say it depends on your stats and how truly interested you are in the school. For example, my stats are on target/slightly higher, but I'm more interested because of their school mission and the location (an area I'm familiar w/ b/c of where I went to undergrad). For those reasons, I still plan to apply. If your application doesn't fit their mission, stats, or if you're not particularly invested in this school, then it may be better not to.
I definitely align with their mission but just wanted to clarify.

Regardless of their yield, they're going to admit 170 people this cycle. If you think you'd be a good fit as one of those 170, you might as well give it a shot.

Given Loyola's Jesuit ties, is the school environment OK for other non-Christian religious minorities/queer folks? Not sure how I feel about their claim to "treat the human spirit" (lmao) on their website, but based on stats, service, and location (Chicago resident), I really want to like the school! Can anyone speak to either their minority-friendliness or odd spirituality vibes?

Reactions: 2 users
Given Loyola's Jesuit ties, is the school environment OK for other non-Christian religious minorities/queer folks? Not sure how I feel about their claim to "treat the human spirit" (lmao) on their website, but based on stats, service, and location (Chicago resident), I really want to like the school! Can anyone speak to either their minority-friendliness or odd spirituality vibes?
Jesuits = super accepting. We have an awesome LGBTQ+ future physicians club. No weird religion vibes. Honestly you wouldn't even know until they do some like random prayer here and there to bless the cadavers lol.

Ima kill myself if they change their prompts this year. this **** is taking too long to write 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
** Prompts from last year**

I just need some clarification on those two. q2. "Describe what you have learned about yourself". do we use an example of a social justice experience here at all? I feel like it'll sound vague without mentioning an experience. but then what do we do about q3 cus it's asking specifically for an experience. I feel like the first part of q2 is pretty similar to q3. How are you guys approaching these two q's?

2. Social justice in the Jesuit tradition, justice due each person by virtue of their own inherent human dignity, is an essential dimension of education at SSOM. Describe what you have you learned about yourself from your concrete social justice experiences. Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician. Inherent human dignity is an essential dimension of Jesuit education at SSOM. What have you learned from your concrete social justice experiences? How do you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician?

3. Serving underserved and under-resourced communities is an expression of social justice. Describe an impactful experience in working with and for under-resourced communities. Explain what you have you learned about yourself through this service OR what has hindered your efforts to serve others in these environments.
Wrong thread

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from someone that they are wanting you to pay the secondary fee before seeing the essays? Is this true or is it a glitch for this person? (Haven't received my secondary yet)

Can you post the prompts? Thanks!

I heard from someone that they are wanting you to pay the secondary fee before seeing the essays? Is this true or is it a glitch for this person? (Haven't received my secondary yet)
You do have to pay first!

Here are the prompts: all maximum 500 words

1. Explain how you know that you want to spend your life studying and practicing medicine. Describe how the Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (SSOM) can help you develop into the kind of person and physician you hope to become.
Minimum 100 Words

2. Social justice in the Jesuit tradition, justice due each person by virtue of their own inherent human dignity, is an essential dimension of education at SSOM. Describe what you have learned about yourself from your concrete social justice experiences. Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician.
Minimum 100 Words

3. Serving underserved and under-resourced communities is an expression of social justice. Describe an impactful experience in working with and for under-resourced communities. Explain what you have learned about yourself through this service OR what has hindered your efforts to serve others in these environments.
Minimum 100 Words

4. Describe your leadership style. Provide a specific example of how you have applied your leadership style.
Minimum 100 Words

5. Describe a non-academic personal/professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. Explain what skills, resources and/or strategies you employed to resolve the problem.
Minimum 100 Words

6. Please indicate additional grades earned, amendments to your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of experiences, and anything else you feel we should know.

7. Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere.

8. If you have not been enrolled in coursework for over two years, please let us know what you have been doing since your coursework ended.

9. Have you applied to SSOM prior to this application? If so, please list the years of your previous application submissions to SSOM and tell us how your application has improved since your previous submission.

Reactions: 5 users
You do have to pay first!

Here are the prompts: all maximum 500 words

Minimum 100 Words

Minimum 100 Words

Minimum 100 Words

Minimum 100 Words

Minimum 100 Words

Your copy "complete questions 6-12 if applicable" but you only pasted up to question #9 - Are there more?

Thanks,
Wysdoc, for whom things just aren't adding up

Is anyone else unable to log into the portal? It keeps saying my ID/password combo failed even though I just made the password...

Is anyone else unable to log into the portal? It keeps saying my ID/password combo failed even though I just made the password...

Yeah, I'm having this same issue

guess we're gonna have to email their support team at some point

I was having this issue and was just about to email them, but then I realized that the password I requested included a special character. According to the password generation instructions, your password should be 8-10 characters, at least 1 upper and 1 lower case letter, at least 1 number, and no special characters. I just resubmitted my password request to meet those rules and was able to get in without a prob. Hope that helps!

I was having this issue and was just about to email them, but then I realized that the password I requested included a special character. According to the password generation instructions, your password should be 8-10 characters, at least 1 upper and 1 lower case letter, at least 1 number, and no special characters. I just resubmitted my password request to meet those rules and was able to get in without a prob. Hope that helps!
that solved the issue! thank you littlebrownpelican

Your copy "complete questions 6-12 if applicable" but you only pasted up to question #9 - Are there more?

Thanks,
Wysdoc, for whom things just aren't adding up
the rest were like multiple choice/check a box type questions so I didn't copy them!

I'm assuming this means two years to this date, not matriculation right?

That is how I interpreted it

What if your close to two years but haven’t hit it yet

How do you guys feel about the "minimum 100 words" but also "maximum 500 words"? Where do you guys plan on sitting or think one should sit in regards to word count?

How do you guys feel about the "minimum 100 words" but also "maximum 500 words"? Where do you guys plan on sitting or think one should sit in regards to word count?
I just typed until I said what I wanted to say. My responses were 300-400 words

For the leadership style question, did you guys look up the names of the different styles or just talk about how you personally would lead others?

how long do we have to wait until we email the school about not receiving the secondary?

Don’t do this - work on the prompts and when you get your email you can send it right away.
Do they screen before sending secondaries? I kinda have a special case so that's why I wanted to know how long to wait. do you mind if I DM you?

Do they screen before sending secondaries? I kinda have a special case so that's why I wanted to know how long to wait. do you mind if I DM you?
I don't have any special knowledge about Loyola.
They send secondaries to all eligible applicants (which they define as US citizens, permanent residents, or DACA recipients in active standing.)
They do have a clause that if you are applying to Loyola for the 3rd (or more) time you need to ask for permission to apply again.
I hope this might have covered your questions.

My comment meant in general: it looks insecure and impatient to write to a school this early in the application season and ask "why didn't I get a secondary, other guys got theirs already why not me?"

Last edited:
I don't have any special knowledge about Loyola.
They send secondaries to all eligible applicants (which they define as US citizens, permanent residents, or DACA recipients in active standing.)
They do have a clause that if you are applying to Loyola for the 3rd (or more) time you need to ask for permission to apply again.
I hope this might have covered your questions.

My comment meant in general: it looks insecure and impatient to write to a school this early in the application season and ask "why didn't I get a secondary, other guys got theirs already why not me?"
okay that makes sense, thank you

Does anyone have any issues when they click 'print application', and all their paragraph spacing doesn't show up? I double spaced in the supplemental application, but it's not showing when I click 'print app'.

Does anyone have any issues when they click 'print application', and all their paragraph spacing doesn't show up? I double spaced in the supplemental application, but it's not showing when I click 'print app'.
Mine does that too, nothing I do changes it so I think it is only on our end

Jesuits = super accepting. We have an awesome LGBTQ+ future physicians club. No weird religion vibes. Honestly you wouldn't even know until they do some like random prayer here and there to bless the cadavers lol.
Hi, is the club called LGBTQ+ future physicians club or is there some other name?

Advice please. I have a 504 MCAT, 3.6 science GPA, and 3.69 cumulative GPA. Is it worth applying here with such a low MCAT? I'm in state and have a good amount clinical and volunteer hours along with a year of research. Still haven't submitted my primary though. I plan to retake my MCAT in September, so I can send them my new score in October, but not sure how that'll pan out being sent in so late in the cycle.