2021-2022 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Readytogo8 for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM) Secondary Essay Prompts: (300 word limit each)
  1. Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks.
  2. Do you have experience shadowing or working with a physician (DO or MD)? If so, describe the experience (name & location of hospital/clinic, name & specialty physician, and amount of time spent shadowing).
  3. Please indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application (including but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)
  4. Please describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your preparation for medical school and/or affected your qualifications (positively or negatively).
  5. Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana? If yes, please describe your interest and reasons why. If not, please explain why not.
  6. Do you have any connections to the state of Indiana? If yes, please describe your connections. [no word limit]
  7. Please list, up to, your top 3 specialties of interest below and why. [no word limit]
  8. Describe your motivation for becoming an osteopathic physician and your desire to attend MU-COM. Please be specific.
  9. Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is applying without any physician LORs advisable? My shadowing experiences stopped last year and I never got to know any of the physicians well enough to ask for a letter. I've been emailing/sending letters here and there for shadowing for the past month but have found no luck (yet).

Members don't see this ad :)
Is applying without any physician LORs advisable? My shadowing experiences stopped last year and I never got to know any of the physicians well enough to ask for a letter. I've been emailing/sending letters here and there for shadowing for the past month but have found no luck (yet).
Unless this has changed from last year, based on my understanding, MUCOM requires a physician letter as part of their evaluation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210628-091158.png
    Screenshot_20210628-091158.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 232
I submitted letters through interfolio to AACOMAS. Do they need the AACOMAS ID?

I still have no update regarding a secondary. I checked their website and they don't seem to have a timeline listed either.

lol they sent me a secondary but said "Dear XXXX" (which is not me)..... ...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
lol they sent me a secondary but said "Dear XXXX" (which is not me)..... ...
Dear Marian Committee,

I recently received a secondary, but it turns out that it was titled to Mr/Ms. XXXX, so I may have gotten it by mistake! Although I would have loved for it to be me, I wanted to bring this to your attention so it can be sent to the proper applicant, who I'm sure would be ecstatic to receive it.

Thank you,

mhopefula

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else received a secondary yet? I am still just getting emails about their masters program haha.

Has anyone else received a secondary yet? I am still just getting emails about their masters program haha.
I called yesterday; apparently they are upgrading their database or something; they still haven't look at primaries yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone remember if this school has a lot of pre-secondary questions on AACOMAS? Thinking about adding a few more here and there

I called yesterday; apparently they are upgrading their database or something; they still haven't look at primaries yet.
they sent me an email addressing me by someone else's name but basically said I should be getting a primary in about 1- 2 weeks

Received a "primary received" email today

Secondary received today. Does anyone know how flexible they're being about the LOR from a physician? I have a letter from a physician, but I didn't get to work with her in a clinical capacity because of COVID

Last edited:
Secondary received today. Does anyone know how flexible they're being about the LOR from a physician? I have a letter from a physician, but I didn't get to work with her a clinical capacity because of COVID
What are the questions please?

is anyone having trouble not getting the password set email? I entered my ID but the email hasn't come yet?

is anyone having trouble not getting the password set email? I entered my ID but the email hasn't come yet?
other people must be having the same problem; i emailed and they said a lot of people are having that issue!

Is anyone still waiting for a secondary?

Reactions: 9 users
Is anyone still waiting for a secondary?
i think the first round just went out today. will say they're clearly having problems with their database for sure so don't get discouraged if you haven't gotten one!

i think the first round just went out today. will say they're clearly having problems with their database for sure so don't get discouraged if you haven't gotten one!
Do they screen before sending?

Can you post the questions please? :)
[300 words each]

1. Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks.
  2. Do you have experience shadowing or working with a physician (DO or MD)? If so, describe the experience (name & location of hospital/clinic, name & specialty physician, and amount of time spent shadowing).
  3. Please indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application (including but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)
  4. Please describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your preparation for medical school and/or affected your qualifications (positively or negatively).
  5. Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana?If yes, please describe your interest and reasons why. If not, please explain why not.
  6. Do you have any connections to the state of Indiana?If yes, please describe your connections. [no word limit]
  7. Please list, up to, your top 3 specialties of interest below and why. [no word limit]
  8. Describe your motivation for becoming an osteopathic physician and your desire to attend MU-COM. Please be specific.
  9. Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you.

[300 words each]

5. Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana?If yes, please describe your interest and reasons why. If not, please explain why not.
  6. Do you have any connections to the state of Indiana?If yes, please describe your connections. [no word limit]
Wow 9 questions!? I think I’ll start pre-writing now. Hopefully I get a secondary soon.

For "Do you have any connections to the state of Indiana?", what exactly counts as a connection?

For "Do you have any connections to the state of Indiana?", what exactly counts as a connection?
I would say have you lived here at any point, worked here at any point, have immediate family that live here, have done any kind of service work here? obviously not the same as claiming residency in Indiana, but anything meaningful other than like vacation in Indiana. And if you haven't just be honest! I think being honest and saying "i don't have connections but this is why I'm drawn to Marian etc." is better than saying "my aunts, ex husbands sister lives in indiana and i've been to holiday world" if you know what I mean?

I would say have you lived here at any point, worked here at any point, have immediate family that live here, have done any kind of service work here? obviously not the same as claiming residency in Indiana, but anything meaningful other than like vacation in Indiana. And if you haven't just be honest! I think being honest and saying "i don't have connections but this is why I'm drawn to Marian etc." is better than saying "my aunts, ex husbands sister lives in indiana and i've been to holiday world" if you know what I mean?
Very true, thank you so much!

Does Marian prefer instate?
Also does anyone happen to know if they screen for secondaries or send to everyone regardless?

Also does anyone happen to know if they screen for secondaries or send to everyone regardless?
I got one last year with a low MCAT and gpa, both are much higher now and I haven’t received a secondary yet. I think they are just sending them out in batches! Not sure if there is a screen.

Wondering the same. Im OOS (Canadian) and haven’t gotten it yet.

I think they prefer instate, bc a lot of secondaries ask if you are cool with staying in indiana.

They also screen according to medschoolhq

If I got an email saying they received my primary and they will send secondary in 1-2 weeks, that means I passed the secondary right? A little worried since I didnt get it yet.
I think they prefer instate, bc a lot of secondaries ask if you are cool with staying in indiana.

They also screen according to medschoolhq

If I got an email saying they received my primary and they will send secondary in 1-2 weeks, that means I passed the secondary right? A little worried since I didnt get it yet.
I'm in the same boat as you. There is no guarantee we get a secondary, but if you ask them I am sure they wouldn't be opposed to giving you one and receiving an extra 50 some odd dollars

I'm in the same boat as you. There is no guarantee we get a secondary, but if you ask them I am sure they wouldn't be opposed to giving you one and receiving an extra 50 some odd dollars
My stats are 509 and 3.8 gpa. Are they too low to meet the cut off?

My stats are 509 and 3.8 gpa. Are they too low to meet the cut off?
No, I got one last year and my gpa and mcat were below that. They just started sending them out on Thursday, I wouldn’t worry for at least another week.

Just got secondary; for the first prompt: Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks?

Does this include gap years?

Edit: I'm OOS for anyone reading this

Last edited:
Just got secondary; for the first prompt: Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks?

Does this include gap years?
I would say yes!

Similarly, if I am applying as a rising senior in UG, do I just not answer that question, or should I have a very short explanation that there were no gaps in my education?

Similarly, if I am applying as a rising senior in UG, do I just not answer that question, or should I have a very short explanation that there were no gaps in my education?
I would assume you don’t have to answer it