2021-2022 Marshall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @asuto for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Marshall Secondary Essay Prompts:
1. Why did you decide to apply to Marshall? (5000 characters)

2. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you want to serve or practice medicine? (5000 characters)

3. If you are not presently attending school, indicate your employment or other plans for the time prior to your planned enrollment in medical school.

4. Please share any disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, and/or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't help you mah dude
marshall.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
The prompts for the secondary are the same as last year as well.

Why did you decide to apply to Marshall? (5000 characters)

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you want to serve or practice medicine? (5000 characters)

If you are not presently attending school, indicate your employment or other plans for the time prior to your planned enrollment in medical school.

Please share any disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, and/or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider.

The last two prompts have a long character limit but I don't know them off of the top of my head.

The prompts for the secondary are the same as last year as well.

Why did you decide to apply to Marshall? (5000 characters)

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you want to serve or practice medicine? (5000 characters)

If you are not presently attending school, indicate your employment or other plans for the time prior to your planned enrollment in medical school.

Please share any disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, and/or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider.

The last two prompts have a long character limit but I don't know them off of the top of my head.
Boy oh boy, 5000 characters..... :oops:
Are any of y'all actually writing that much?

Boy oh boy, 5000 characters..... :oops:
Are any of y'all actually writing that much?
I'm averaging about 2000 characters for each essay. I don't particularly want to bore them with a novel if it doesn't add anything to what I have to say.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm averaging about 2000 characters for each essay. I don't particularly want to bore them with a novel if it doesn't add anything to what I have to say.
That's what I plan on doing. Appreciate you sharing the prompts btw ✌️

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the 3 professor LORs a hard requirement? I only have 2....
Edit: I'm a non-trad applicant and have tried to get in touch with admissions but nobody has responded. If anyone can offer input, I'd appreciate it very much.

Last edited:
Edit: I'm a non-trad applicant and have tried to get in touch with admissions but nobody has responded. If anyone can offer input, I'd appreciate it very much.
Oof.... I contacted them with a general question and haven't received any responses either lol

I'm a first time reapplicant. I know that they contacted me closer to the deadline to discuss my letters. Ms. Cindy just asked for me to put forth my best effort in gathering the three professor LORs. I ended up only submitting two along with the MD that I'm scribing for. Being a non-trad I'm sure they'd be understanding.

I'm a first time reapplicant. I know that they contacted me closer to the deadline to discuss my letters. Ms. Cindy just asked for me to put forth my best effort in gathering the three professor LORs. I ended up only submitting two along with the MD that I'm scribing for. Being a non-trad I'm sure they'd be understanding.
Thank you and thank you @BrontoPronto as well! I was actually able to connect with an old professor and now have three letters :giggle:

Soooooo do we just assign gen bio courses or all bio courses we've taken?

Pre req assignment? Sorry lol I am still working on the secondary I dont know where/what that is.
There are two tasks when you enter their secondary portal, one is to assign pre-reqs and the other is the actual secondary- both are due by the December deadline :happy:

Added Marshall late but submitted secondary on 7/29

Anyone get an interview invite yet?
No, not yet. However, I think they don't start sending IIs until September for WV residents and then mid-december for OOS.

Any insights into why marshall? I know this is personal and I have looked and researched their website. Much of my interest lies in their community outreach and international electives but didn't know if I was missing anything else I could touch on.

Completed secondary yesterday!
In state, 1st gen, non-traditional,grew up in rural WV!

Completed secondary yesterday!
In state, 1st gen, non-traditional,grew up in rural WV!
Congrats on getting your materials in! I know we OOS'ers won't hear back until late in the year, but keep us posted with your progress!

Has anyone received II from Marshall yet?

I called the school today and they said they just started reviewing applications this week. II's will be coming in a few days.

I called the school today and they said they just started reviewing applications this week. II's will be coming in a few days.
Oh boy, so they hadn't reviewed applications at all before this week?

That is what was they told me. She said I should hear something in a few days to a week.
Oh nice! I see that you're IS, so I'm assuming they'll get through IS applications first, I'm OOS. Please do update us if you hear back with anything!

Thanks. I am OOS, so I assume that they will consider us later. Can you share your stats?
IS, 4.0 GPA, average MCAT for Marshall, heavily interested in rural medicine

OOS, received an email notif today saying that my app is complete and ready to be reviewed

Interview Invite email received today. Oct 29 Virtual Interview.

Does anybody know if Marshall accepts update letters?

I submitted one through AMCAS. I do not know if they will look at it or not.
Oh I meant an update letter on what I've accomplished since submitting my secondary, not an update LOR :lol:

Has anyone interviewed and received a decision yet? 🧐🧐