2021-2022 Mayo Clinic, Rochester (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected. LM 74, OOS complete 8/28. Good luck to everyone in the running.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Submitted 7/29, some connections with mayo but weak stats, still hear nothing, praying, but feel rejection will come soon……

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received any post-II communication from Mayo? I know in previous years they send out those “highly ranked” and “gauging interest” emails right around this time…

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received any post-II communication from Mayo? I know in previous years they send out those “highly ranked” and “gauging interest” emails right around this time…
Just emails about interest groups, student meet-and-greets, etc. Nothing about standing!

"Highly ranked" email was in early Feb. Don't panic just yet. Also, take the post-II communication with a grain of salt!

Just got the R. Completed 09/05
Good luck to the rest of you!

Hi everyone, I have a really urgent question for anyone who has already interviewed!

I received an II this week and will be interviewing in a few short weeks (woohoo!). When I got the II email, they explained that they also have a Monday Welcome Session with presentations/current students. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is mandatory. At any point during this call, do we unmute and speak (other than to optionally ask questions)? I have to work on Monday, but I can join the Zoom on my phone (camera off, muted) if needed. I do plan on emailing Mayo and letting them know I cannot attend due to work reasons. I just don't want to miss out on this amazing school because I need to work. :(

Any input is truly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi everyone, I have a really urgent question for anyone who has already interviewed!

I received an II this week and will be interviewing in a few short weeks (woohoo!). When I got the II email, they explained that they also have a Monday Welcome Session with presentations/current students. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is mandatory. At any point during this call, do we unmute and speak (other than to optionally ask questions)? I have to work on Monday, but I can join the Zoom on my phone (camera off, muted) if needed. I do plan on emailing Mayo and letting them know I cannot attend due to work reasons. I just don't want to miss out on this amazing school because I need to work. :(

Any input is truly appreciated. Thank you!
The Monday session is mandatory I believe. You really only have to speak up to introduce yourself in the camps specific zoom rooms or if you have questions. I think having your camera on is basically a requirement but I'm sure if you explained your circumstances you might be able to do another Monday session or have your camera off.

The Monday session is mandatory I believe. You really only have to speak up to introduce yourself in the camps specific zoom rooms or if you have questions. I think having your camera on is basically a requirement but I'm sure if you explained your circumstances you might be able to do another Monday session or have your camera off.
Thank you so much for the quick response. I appreciate you so much!!

Anyone else still hear nothing? Complete in early August.

Anyone know how receptive Mayo is to post-interview thank you notes? I think they might have mentioned during the infosession to not send them but I might be confusing it with another school.
They LOVE them

Members don't see this ad :)
For people scheduled to interview soon, when will they tell us the actual times of our interviews? I have another interview scheduled for the same day and I need to make sure there isn't a conflict!

For people scheduled to interview soon, when will they tell us the actual times of our interviews? I have another interview scheduled for the same day and I need to make sure there isn't a conflict!
That is a VERY dangerous game to play. I'm begging you to move one to avoid the possibility of a last minute disaster, UNLESS the times both schools have told you to block out do not conflict with each other. PLEASE do not leave this for the last minute in the hopes you will be able to pull it off. Too little to gain, too much to lose.

Reactions: 5 users
That is a VERY dangerous game to play. I'm begging you to move one to avoid the possibility of a last minute disaster, UNLESS the times both schools have told you to block out do not conflict with each other. PLEASE do not leave this for the last minute in the hopes you will be able to pull it off. Too little to gain, too much to lose.
Thanks for this advice- and you’re absolutely right. I actually ended up withdrawing my app from the other school (CUSM) since I’ve already had an acceptance somewhere else.

• Love
Thanks for this advice- and you’re absolutely right. I actually ended up withdrawing my app from the other school (CUSM) since I’ve already had an acceptance somewhere else.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Excellent call. Good luck at Mayo!!

Does anybody know what Mayo's orientation date is for their class? The reason I ask is that I have an opportunity to study at Oxford over the summer in a subject that is honestly the love of my life. Don't want to pass the opportunity up for both professional and personal reasons, but Mayo is my top school (letter of intent submitted already).

Does anybody know what Mayo's orientation date is for their class? The reason I ask is that I have an opportunity to study at Oxford over the summer in a subject that is honestly the love of my life. Don't want to pass the opportunity up for both professional and personal reasons, but Mayo is my top school (letter of intent submitted already).
Orientation starts early July, I couldn't find any exact date. Depending on the situation you could contact them to see if you could work something out

It was July 6th this past year. Sounds like the Oxford opportunity would be a situation where a deferral could be requested, should you be admitted to Mayo. Good luck!

anyone else recently get an email with a second student contact? i haven't had any questions for my first student contact and have no clue why.

Friend just received a “you’ve been ranked highly” in committee email - any idea how good of a sign this is for him?

Friend just received a “you’ve been ranked highly” in committee email - any idea how good of a sign this is for him?
This is generally a pretty good sign. From what I can tell, in years past most people who get an A also get the "highly ranked" email. Not a 1-to-1 correlation though.

That said, anyone else got a highly ranked email? Interviewed in October and haven't had any of that sweet, sweet personalized post-interview Mayo communication :(

Interviewed in October and haven't had any of that sweet, sweet personalized post-interview Mayo communication
Interviewed early October, and haven't had any communication from Mayo since either. I don't want to be neurotic about it, but hopefully that's not a bad sign for things to come...

Any idea when they had interviewed? Did he send an LOI before receiving the email?
Sure yeah! IIRC he interviewed right before I did so very late October and he sent thank you letters but no interest or intent letter yet.

In other news, do we think it's better to submit an interest (top 3) letter now? I have it on my calendar to submit one in Jan to give 1.5 months before decisions and to really drive the "continued interest" aspect but I'm wondering if Mayo would appreciate earlier enthusiastic communication?

Sure yeah! IIRC he interviewed right before I did so very late October and he sent thank you letters but no interest or intent letter yet.

In other news, do we think it's better to submit an interest (top 3) letter now? I have it on my calendar to submit one in Jan to give 1.5 months before decisions and to really drive the "continued interest" aspect but I'm wondering if Mayo would appreciate earlier enthusiastic communication?
I think I remember them telling us at the info day that they prefer LOI's before the end of the year, but I ~highly~ doubt that a January one would hurt you. For transparency though I did just send mine a couple days ago so I would have it in before they go for holiday break.

I think I remember them telling us at the info day that they prefer LOI's before the end of the year, but I ~highly~ doubt that a January one would hurt you. For transparency though I did just send mine a couple days ago so I would have it in before they go for holiday break.
Yeah I sent a letter of interest the first week of December so it would be in before holiday break.

+1 R after hold. Interviewed here last cycle as well... good luck to everyone still in the running!

+1 for R after hold. That rejection letter was depressing 🤣

Reactions: 1 users
Another R post hold. Email was short and to the point.

It always seemed kind of strange that they did holds at a place like Mayo Clinic. Surely, they don’t have any issues filling interviews or spots in the class. I don’t think any schools in Mayo’s tier gives pre interview holds

Reactions: 2 users
Post-hold R good luck to all of y’all still in the running!

Rejected after hold as well. oh well. best of luck to everyone else!

• Care
It always seemed kind of strange that they did holds at a place like Mayo Clinic. Surely, they don’t have any issues filling interviews or spots in the class. I don’t think any schools in Mayo’s tier gives pre interview holds
It's not about having issues filling spots. All schools do it. You don't think people at top schools who were complete in July or August and are receiving IIs now are having their files looked at for the first time now, do you? :)

The only thing strange is the level of transparency Mayo demonstrates by letting people know they are on hold. Tier has nothing to do with it. All schools have apps they put aside and come back to later.

Has anyone gotten a highly ranked email? Asking for a friend.....haha

Has anyone gotten a highly ranked email? Asking for a friend.....haha
I think someone posted about it earlier. Found it: post #437

Another poster also mentioned that many of the "highly ranked" emails come out in early February.