2021-2022 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received a rejection? Or does MCW send rejections in March

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else submitted mid September and waiting? Is there even a chance if I submitted in September if so many As have already come out?

Anyone else submitted mid September and waiting? Is there even a chance if I submitted in September if so many As have already come out?
Bruh some of us who are waiting have been finished since July

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was not in my portal, I did check after the first round was sent because I was concerned and it said the last communication sent was 10/4.

Wait so they only had one interview day so far!?? and they're planning to speed things up by having two a week??

• Hmm
One more long email I have to speed read to figure out if I just got rejected, an II, or just a MCW update, I'm going to request cardioversion.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Man I won’t even have a chance this cycle then 😭. I really hope they get to September people
Hello! I am an M1 at MCW currently. They will get to September eventually!! I submitted my secondary to MCW in September, got my II in January, and was accepted in February. Just keep holding strong y'all, best of luck!!

Reactions: 8 users
Hello! I am an M1 at MCW currently. They will get to September eventually!! I submitted my secondary to MCW in September, got my II in January, and was accepted in February. Just keep holding strong y'all, best of luck!!
So do you think if I submitted in July that means I have no chance? Even if I did not get rejected yet?

So I got an email today saying my application was incomplete... I payed my fee and submitted my secondary at the end of september but never got an update on the status of my app until now, when it said it was incomplete. All I had to do was click submit? So am I totally screwed since apparently it wasn't complete for the last two months??

So do you think if I submitted in July that means I have no chance? Even if I did not get rejected yet?
I submitted in July, got my II the first week of March, interviewed the LAST INTERVIEW DAY in March, accepted a week later, current M3.

It's not over til it's over folks.

• Wow
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted in July, got my II the first week of March, interviewed the LAST INTERVIEW DAY in March, accepted a week later, current M3.

It's not over til it's over folks.
Just out of curiosity, what percentage of the student body would you say got IIs/As/good news in general in March or later? I feel like so many people are worried about not having heard a thing up to this point when in reality there's a massive number of people who get accepted closer to the end of the cycle.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Just got my first MD interview from this school!!!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Just out of curiosity, what percentage of the student body would you say got IIs/As/good news in general in March or later? I feel like so many people are worried about not having heard a thing up to this point when in reality there's a massive number of people who get accepted closer to the end of the cycle.
I know of at least 4 people in my class that were the last interview day. MCW was very forthcoming and told us that there were still open spots in the class for people interviewing that day, and it wasn't just an interview for the waitlist. Also, that's just 5 of us who ENROLLED, there may have been others also accepted from that day who chose other schools in the end. I think MCW does a great job with their algorithm so that they don't over-admit early on. And since I am now also a student interviewer, I have seen and heard how that system works for them first-hand.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I know of at least 4 people in my class that were the last interview day. MCW was very forthcoming and told us that there were still open spots in the class for people interviewing that day, and it wasn't just an interview for the waitlist. Also, that's just 5 of us who ENROLLED, there may have been others also accepted from that day who chose other schools in the end. I think MCW does a great job with their algorithm so that they don't over-admit early on. And since I am now also a student interviewer, I have seen and heard how that system works for them first-hand.
Any hope for those waitlisted after interviewing last month :(

Any hope for those waitlisted after interviewing last month :(
So you're saying there is hope?

There is always hope!! My year there was no waitlist movement, but every year is different and that was also pre-Covid. I think interviews being virtual has affected both medical school/residency because students can easier attend 10+ interviews if they want to. Therefore, there may be more WL movement this year and I am not sure if there was any last year or not. I think it really tends to vary.

I had accepted a job offer already and fully believed I wasn't going to be a doctor, at least not for a few years if I felt I could muster up the strength to apply again. Obviously N=1 but I think it's important to be hopeful until May 1st rolls around. And it's okay to make plans either way. I felt bad having to turn down the job in the end, but SO happy to be a student at MCW! You'll get there, folks. You can achieve this if you really want it.

• Care
There is always hope!! My year there was no waitlist movement, but every year is different and that was also pre-Covid. I think interviews being virtual has affected both medical school/residency because students can easier attend 10+ interviews if they want to. Therefore, there may be more WL movement this year and I am not sure if there was any last year or not. I think it really tends to vary.

I had accepted a job offer already and fully believed I wasn't going to be a doctor, at least not for a few years if I felt I could muster up the strength to apply again. Obviously N=1 but I think it's important to be hopeful until May 1st rolls around. And it's okay to make plans either way. I felt bad having to turn down the job in the end, but SO happy to be a student at MCW! You'll get there, folks. You can achieve this if you really want it.
I really appreciate it, thanks so much :)

• Care
Question for people with A's for fall of 2022, and especially people who are already in MCW, specifically the regional campuses:

1. When do mandatory in person activities begin?

2. Is financial aid dispersed earlier for the regional campuses to accommodate starting classes earlier?

For Central Wisconsin and Green Bay students, orientation begins June 27th and classes begin July 5th. As a non-trad who has enough money saved up for a month before medical school, I would be hard-pressed to stretch that money out from June-September. And given the way leases work, I would likely have to move in June 1st as well because I would not be able to guarantee a landlord willing to allow me to move in a month before July. Also, it is usually advised to move in a few weeks before orientation to get acclimated to a new town, which also lends itself to the June 1st move-in date. If given the chance I will likely ask broad questions to my interviewer when I can, but I would love to hear from students who have made this transition, to best understand what it is like.

3. It appears MCW does something called a "second look day" for each of the 3 campuses, where accepted students get to join a virtual tour and get another view at their future campus. Has anyone who received an A gotten a chance to join these activities, and is there anything noteworthy to share?

Thank you for any feedback.

Attachments

• schedule screenshot.PNG
    schedule screenshot.PNG
    382.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Love
Hey all. Dumb question, but did you guys with an acceptance already accept your offer of admission? The deadline in May 2nd, so IDK if we have to put accept right now or just leave it until we're sure we're attending MCW.

I submitted 9/15/2021 and just received an interview invite today so stay hopeful! Im OOS, 3.55 cgpa, 3.42 sgpa, and 511 MCAT.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hey all. Dumb question, but did you guys with an acceptance already accept your offer of admission? The deadline in May 2nd, so IDK if we have to put accept right now or just leave it until we're sure we're attending MCW.
I didn't accept the offer yet. I don't think we need to until May :)

I submitted 9/15/2021 and just received an interview invite today so stay hopeful! Im OOS, 3.55 cgpa, 3.42 sgpa, and 511 MCAT.
Congrats bro!!! Feels bad when you submit in july and have heard nothing back yet people applying in September are already getting interview invites

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Hey all, current M1 here at MCW and wanted to just drop by again and give some unsolicited advice/inspiration. I know SDNers are always trying to figure out time of completion etc to deduce if they still have a chance of getting the coveted II. My best advice is STOP trying to do that! MCW reviews holistically and if you look up my previous post on this thread some weeks back you'll see why I truly feel MCW's process is as holistic as it gets. Therefore, chronological timeline of admission is a poor indicator of chances. AEB this thread, there are individuals who submitted late and got an early II, there are individuals who submitted early who will get a late II. Similar to my peer who posted above, I submitted very early, got an II in Jan, got the A in February. As a student here, I can also confirm a few things - there were available slots all the way up until the last interview day of the cycle last year. Unlike other schools, it seems evident that MCW does not interview for the WL. Also, there was seemingly a "healthy" amount of WL movement last year. My roommate is one of them and I know of others as well. I applaud MCW for their transparency throughout the cycle, I always appreciated it. With that being said, there were people who got pre-II Rs well before the cycle was over so if you submitted early and haven't heard anything they aren't just sitting on your application after deciding you've been rejected. If you've been rejected, they will let you know.

To reiterate - if you have not been rejected you are still actively being considered. I empathize and understand how stressful the application cycle can be so remind yourself of that. Also, MCW is very receptive to update letters. Obviously don't bombard them as it probably wont come across as genuine, but if you have significant things to update them on don't be afraid to let the school know! I can't say it will certainly do something but I sent updates prior to getting my II so it certainly didn't hurt.

I had a few As to choose from and so far I'm really happy with my decision to come to MCW. No school is perfect, but MCW is a great school. Best of luck to you all, your hard work will pay off!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 22 users
I just got some MCW gooodies in the mail even though I’m waitlisted. What a tease #pleasetakemeoffwaitlist 😅😔☹️

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Waitlisted on 10/15 post-interview and got some MCW goodies as well (i.e. beanie, lanyard with USB)! Awfully nice of MCW, and hoping to eventually get off the list and receive the A! :D

Gotta lurk last year's MCW thread for clues HEH

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Waitlisted on 10/15 post-interview and got some MCW goodies as well (i.e. beanie, lanyard with USB)! Awfully nice of MCW, and hoping to eventually get off the list and receive the A! :D

Gotta lurk last year's MCW thread for clues HEH
Is MCW the only school that does these interviewee goodie bags?

Is MCW the only school that does these interviewee goodie bags?
I got goodies from Toledo when I got my II! They gave out goodies last year tho and there was more in the care package last cycle than this year. Still got a free little notebook which has been great for writing things down in interview prep so I'm all about it

Does MCW send pre-II Rs? IS, complete mid July, and radio silence. I know they swear to not silent-reject people, but do they wait until the spring to send rejections all at once?
They send rejections rolling as well. I know someone who was rejected well before spring last year, while I was rejected at the end of the cycle.

I got goodies from Toledo when I got my II! They gave out goodies last year tho and there was more in the care package last cycle than this year. Still got a free little notebook which has been great for writing things down in interview prep so I'm all about it
I'm a sucker for goodies, I think they make these bags for people like me. You can absolutely buy my love and affection for MD schools

I'm a sucker for goodies, I think they make these bags for people like me. You can absolutely buy my love and affection for MD schools
You can buy mine by laughing every time I am funni man, which I'm grateful that it was most appreciated for most of my interviewers during my MMI session at Toledo lol

You can buy mine by laughing every time I am funni man, which I'm grateful that it was most appreciated for most of my interviewers during my MMI session at Toledo lol
If you are A.) An accredited MD institution in the US and B.) offering me an interview, I think I'm in love

• Haha
If you are A.) An accredited MD institution in the US and B.) offering me an interview, I think I'm in love
If you are A) a medical school in the US and B) not rejecting me in 2 minutes, I think I'm in love

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users