2021-2022 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MCW just sent out their match list - is anyone else surprised by the number of Ortho matches, or is this common for them?
No surprise, they always match strong. People like to assume ( not saying you) that a big name equates to competitive specialty matches but sleep on how important a strong hospital system, reputable department, and connections play into matching. All which MCW and the Froedtert provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
No surprise, they always match strong. People like to assume ( not saying you) that a big name equates to competitive specialty matches but sleep on how important a strong hospital system, reputable department, and connections play into matching. All which MCW and the Froedtert provide.
Yeah I'm not sure what I was expecting from the match list (I haven't paid attention to them before and still barely know how to interpret them, but I'm aiming for a PC field) but the high number of Ortho + a few rads, NSGY, etc seems really strong to me

Reactions: 1 user
Does certiphi send background checks to the school or do we have to?
Certiphi automatically sends it to them on a specific date(you can check the link it should say it). Mine took 10 days to show up as received in the portal though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they going to be sending out info about Second Look day soon...?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received financial aid yet?

Is there mandatory attendance for the basic science part of learning here? I know anatomy labs are in person but on average how often do you have to be on campus per week as an MS1 ?

For accepted students, are you all aware that MCW second look is virtual which means that prior to arrival one won't be able to see the school in person?

For accepted students, are you all aware that MCW second look is virtual which means that prior to arrival one won't be able to see the school in person?

You can sign up for in person tours starting in late May but 2nd look isn’t in person unfortunately

This is a mistake. They should allow accepted vaccinated people to have a look on site before commit date

This is a mistake. They should allow accepted vaccinated people to have a look on site before commit date
Yeah I wish they could do second look. Just have to respect their rules I guess. Anyways, I was looking forward to attending another second look and it was going to be $600 for a flight and $50 to stay in an air bnb in a private room. Don’t know how to feel whether they should be in person or not

you can also contact Jordan if you're in town on a day that a tour isn't scheduled, and they may be able to give you a tour that fits your schedule

You can! I was in Milwaukee back in November for a family thing and Jordan was great about setting up a tour for me. A current M2 showed me around, answered all of my questions, and gave me recs. I HIGHLY recommend doing this if you're wanting to get a first hand look at the school.

Honestly, the ability to schedule your own "second look" as an option while having the official day online for all to access regardless of work/fam/$$ is great. I feel like I got a good idea of what day to day actually looked like as it was a normal day for students and at the hospitals. Def go check the school out! The ability to do this and how easy and accommodating they were really sold me on MCW.

You can! I was in Milwaukee back in November for a family thing and Jordan was great about setting up a tour for me. A current M2 showed me around, answered all of my questions, and gave me recs. I HIGHLY recommend doing this if you're wanting to get a first hand look at the school.

Honestly, the ability to schedule your own "second look" as an option while having the official day online for all to access regardless of work/fam/$$ is great. I feel like I got a good idea of what day to day actually looked like as it was a normal day for students and at the hospitals. Def go check the school out! The ability to do this and how easy and accommodating they were really sold me on MCW.
Thanks! Can you provide Jordan contact email or phone

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to ask the same question. I received my aid offer this morning and was unsure of whether scholarships are separate from loan offers!
That’s my exact reasoning. I wasn’t sure if this meant I didn’t receive any scholarship offers.

Nope. Can anyone from previous years let us know if the scholarships are distributed at the same time as loans?

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else’s aid offer significantly deficient? My expected family contribution is more than double what I actually have access to… yikes!

Reactions: 2 users
I was going to ask the same question. I received my aid offer this morning and was unsure of whether scholarships are separate from loan offers!

Also got my aid offer of only loans this morning. I emailed and asked about scholarships before and they said that they would offer scholarships as soon as they can this spring but there’s no guarantee that it would come prior to May 2nd. I’m not sure if they’re separate from financial aid award but that’s what it sounds like. I emailed them back to clarify and am awaiting response.

Reactions: 2 users
Also got my aid offer of only loans this morning. I emailed and asked about scholarships before and they said that they would offer scholarships as soon as they can this spring but there’s no guarantee that it would come prior to May 2nd. I’m not sure if they’re separate from financial aid award but that’s what it sounds like. I emailed them back to clarify and am awaiting response.
Thank you for reaching out and asking! :)

The merit awards consideration will begin next week. They will not match awards from other institutions. They mentioned limited means for need based support.

Last edited:
The merit awards consideration will begin next week. They will not match awards from other institutions. They mentioned limited means for need based support.
So, was the financial aid app we filled out on MCW connect for need based support?

Does anyone know if we have to reapply for HEAB WI residency each year?

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there an accepted student group or GroupMe? :)

signed a lease in MKE! can't wait to meet all of you this august :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Not sure how valid this is but the MCW 2026 FB group has 230 members which is basically the class size for MKE yeah? Might indicate less WL movement ☹️

Not sure how valid this is but the MCW 2026 FB group has 230 members which is basically the class size for MKE yeah? Might indicate less WL movement ☹️
I will most likely withdraw from this school unless I am blown away by their scholarship offer. I am sure many people will withdraw soon with PTE and CTE deadlines

I will most likely withdraw from this school unless I am blown away by their scholarship offer. I am sure many people will withdraw soon with PTE and CTE deadlines
oh right, yes that makes sense! I guess i only thought people who were for sure go into the FB

oh right, yes that makes sense! I guess i only thought people who were for sure go into the FB

There’s are lot of current students in the group and what seems to be some random trollers. The FB group probably isn’t the best way to get a count, but I can definitely see why it’s a go to at this point. I’ll most likely withdraw my A here within the next few days and hoping good news comes your way soon!

• Care
There’s are lot of current students in the group and what seems to be some random trollers. The FB group probably isn’t the best way to get a count, but I can definitely see why it’s a go to at this point. I’ll most likely withdraw my A here within the next few days and hoping good news comes your way soon!
Thanks a lot for your kind words! And congrats on the multiple As :)

did anyone see that for the tech requirements, they recommend a laptop no older than 2020? Does anyone know if that’s necessary? I don’t really want to buy a new one

Does anyone know how friendly MCW is to reapplicants? I interviewed in January and was rejected post interview. My MCAT is low and I'm re-taking it next month. Is it likely MCW will give me another interview this cycle?

Does anyone know how friendly MCW is to reapplicants? I interviewed in January and was rejected post interview. My MCAT is low and I'm re-taking it next month. Is it likely MCW will give me another interview this cycle?
I can't answer how friendly they are, but since you were interviewed and rejected I would ask them for feedback and that will probably give you a clue about your chances.

did anyone see that for the tech requirements, they recommend a laptop no older than 2020? Does anyone know if that’s necessary? I don’t really want to buy a new one

I feel like as long as you meet the minimum requirements you are fine

I applied 2020 cycle and didn't even get an interview. This cycle I got the A. I waited two years to apply again to ensure I made multiple improvements to my application, not just one. So I'd recommend re-evaluating different parts of your app, not just MCAT score. Not sure if that helps, but that's my two cents. Good luck!

Asking on here since its anonymous. Those of you who have already signed for apartments without having a financial aid offer, are you going off of the standard budget? I am bad with these kinds of things lol. I'm wondering if people who have already signed are going off of outside assistance or the standard budget.

Asking on here since its anonymous. Those of you who have already signed for apartments without having a financial aid offer, are you going off of the standard budget? I am bad with these kinds of things lol. I'm wondering if people who have already signed are going off of outside assistance or the standard budget.
Hi, I can answer this as a lease signee--I am lucky enough to have some outside support and money saved up, and found a place that has rent similar to what I pay now. I haven't gotten my financial aid yet, but am operating off the assumption I will get nothing--that way, if I do get something, it'll be a helpful surprise rather than a financial stressor if I get nothing.

Hi, I can answer this as a lease signee--I am lucky enough to have some outside support and money saved up, and found a place that has rent similar to what I pay now. I haven't gotten my financial aid yet, but am operating off the assumption I will get nothing--that way, if I do get something, it'll be a helpful surprise rather than a financial stressor if I get nothing.
Awesome, thank you. I make decent money right now and could either come in with a big savings, or pay my car off (since they wont allocate funds for car payments). So I'm trying to decide between those two options. My parents are willing to help with my car payment and want me to have a savings, but I feel guilty accepting their help at all.

Awesome, thank you. I make decent money right now and could either come in with a big savings, or pay my car off (since they wont allocate funds for car payments). So I'm trying to decide between those two options. My parents are willing to help with my car payment and want me to have a savings, but I feel guilty accepting their help at all.
Pay them back when the time comes. That is enough!

Anyone know the last day we can submit updates for MCW?

Anyone know the last day we can submit updates for MCW?
Can? Probably the day before classes start. Will be helpful? End of this week probs, assuming the most WL movement will happen by mid-May

Has anyone received any scholarship/grant awards? If it hasn’t happened yet do we know if it will happen before the May 2 date?