2021-2022 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys think all the acceptance were sent out in one batch for both interview days?
looking at last year's thread it seems like all acceptances were sent out in one batch for both interview days and the one's who didn't receive an A were ranked on a waitlist or possibly rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my II on Friday night (like 8pm) after being marked as complete since 9/10

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone receive a waitlist email? or post interview rejection?
I don't believe there's been any action since last Thursday when the 1st batch of acceptances went out. I'm guessing there may be more updates coming this Thursday

Anybody hear back from interviews yet? My interview is in a couple of weeks and I am just interested in a timeline for my sanity.

Current student here. I mostly have positive things to say. Of course there are always going to be the classic issues with a new school but I don't think it is affecting our accumulation of knowledge and clinical skills so far. It's kind of unfortunate that we will probably not be able to experience the new building like the all the rest of the classes but it isn't that big of a deal.

The top things for me are the responsiveness of the faculty to our needs (they have taken our suggestions and already improved in a few areas), close contact with the faculty (think OMM lab and clinical skills lab - 8 students with a faculty member for 2 hours), and the flexibility to do the curriculum how you want. It is also an exceptionally collaborative atmosphere with our class and I really didn't expect that.

Reactions: 5 users
Current student here. I mostly have positive things to say. Of course there are always going to be the classic issues with a new school but I don't think it is affecting our accumulation of knowledge and clinical skills so far. It's kind of unfortunate that we will probably not be able to experience the new building like the all the rest of the classes but it isn't that big of a deal.

The top things for me are the responsiveness of the faculty to our needs (they have taken our suggestions and already improved in a few areas), close contact with the faculty (think OMM lab and clinical skills lab - 8 students with a faculty member for 2 hours), and the flexibility to do the curriculum how you want. It is also an exceptionally collaborative atmosphere with our class and I really didn't expect that.
What are some of the negatives?
Edit: Also, do you think you are learning more with their style of teaching (pods and videos) or would it be better the old fashioned way?

I’m also a current student and can weigh in on this. I personally miss having in person lectures but that’s just my preferred style of learning. However it’s really nice being able to watch the lecture videos any time of the day you choose. If you’re a night owl you can sign up for a late pod. If you’re a morning person there’s a 6am option. It’s very flexible. There’s also an app we have on our computers that also allows us to ask the teachers any questions we have about the lecture. You can message the teacher to stop by your pod to clarify things and they will. Overall the pods are a pretty cool setup that allows you to kind of customize the way you learn, how you learn, and when you learn.

The best thing Noorda does IMO is every two weeks we have a Thursday and Friday review session in person with all the faculty that make the slides and that are teaching the videos we are required to watch everyday. We’re also given quizzes 3-5 times a week that we are allowed to retake until we get a 100, which further solidifies our understanding of the material.

I really don’t have anything to report about Noorda that has affected me negatively. I think for a new school they have done a really really good job creating the slides and videos, hiring caring and compassionate staff, and selecting students who make up our small class of 90.

The only issue with Noorda i can think of is probably the idea of pods. I know I listed the benefits earlier but there’s also a downside. The pods are terrible for going in and learning the material for the first time. Everyone learns at their own pace and likes to pause and take notes etc. You can’t really do that in a pod of 8 people. The pods are really only beneficial if you study the material the day before and go into pod already having most of the knowledge so you can discuss it with your pod members.

For people that have previously messaged me asking for interview advice, if you made it that far they really just want to assess your personality and see if you would fit into a school that requires heavy collaboration and group work. They don’t want robots or people who aren’t charismatic or engaging.

This school is doing everything right so far imo. I hope y’all get some IIs and As soon!
Appreciate your input! It's awesome to hear how great and supporting their staff is. I feel like I also learn well being able to pause videos, rewind..etc as you mentioned but I was a little confused reading up on the pods because it seems like if they're going to give you pre-recorded videos then it would be more beneficial to study alone and maybe meet up with a group like once a week? But, it sounds like it's an everyday thing? Do you feel like doing the pods you're constantly having to play "catch up" because it's just kind of a time-waster that you're not really getting much studying done?

Appreciate your input! It's awesome to hear how great and supporting their staff is. I feel like I also learn well being able to pause videos, rewind..etc as you mentioned but I was a little confused reading up on the pods because it seems like if they're going to give you pre-recorded videos then it would be more beneficial to study alone and maybe meet up with a group like once a week? But, it sounds like it's an everyday thing? Do you feel like doing the pods you're constantly having to play "catch up" because it's just kind of a time-waster that you're not really getting much studying done?
It's really up to you. I meet up with my pod 3-4 times a week to review content from that day in the afternoon. I have been thinking of scaling it back slightly to 2-3 times a week because its nice having a bigger picture of what you are learning. I think it would be hard to argue for doing it completely alone as most of the people with the top scores are working in groups.

The main argument for discussing what you have learned/are learning with a group is that you find each other's blind spots and cement ideas in place. Also, we meet as a pod for 1-2 hours so it doesn't really feel like a time waster. Whenever I come out of talking about it, I have a much clearer understanding of the topic.

Reactions: 1 users
It's really up to you. I meet up with my pod 3-4 times a week to review content from that day in the afternoon. I have been thinking of scaling it back slightly to 2-3 times a week because its nice having a bigger picture of what you are learning. I think it would be hard to argue for doing it completely alone as most of the people with the top scores are working in groups.

The main argument for discussing what you have learned/are learning with a group is that you find each other's blind spots and cement ideas in place. Also, we meet as a pod for 1-2 hours so it doesn't really feel like a time waster. Whenever I come out of talking about it, I have a much clearer understanding of the topic.
Thank you for the reply! That definitely sounds a lot better. I wasn't sure if it was a mandatory everyday thing for 4+ hours, or if it was like you just mentioned. That sounds very reasonable and flexible. I think meeting with a group and going over your weaknesses and helping others with theirs would be super helpful for everyone. Noorda definitely seems to have a unique and exciting aspect to them and seems to really put a lot of emphasis on a student-centered environment. I hope you're doing well and continue to enjoy it there moving forward!

Should I send these people an update/letter of interest? I'm so sick of waiting for a secondary when I applied on 8/19.

Should I send these people an update/letter of interest? I'm so sick of waiting for a secondary when I applied on 8/19.

Have you had any official academic updates since your submission? They don’t accept unofficial grade updates, everything has to go through AACOMAS.

I withdrew my acceptance at Noorda - I hope it goes to one of you! ❤️

Reactions: 4 users
Just got my acceptance email!! As someone who never got off the waitlist last cycle, it’s great to know I got in this time!!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Has anyone who was complete late September/early October received an interview? I know this might be premature to ask, but I am curious where they may be in reviewing applications :)

Has anyone who was complete late September/early October received an interview? I know this might be premature to ask, but I am curious where they may be in reviewing applications :)
I completed my secondary Mid Aug and still nothing.

Anyone interested in joining last year's GroupMe for Noorda COM? We can convert it into the chat for the 2021/22 cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone got the HPSP email from Noorda admissions and still not received a secondary yet?

has anyone got the HPSP email from Noorda admissions and still not received a secondary yet?
I got the email but I have received the secondary. I went to all three last year so I probably won’t again.

Tbh I wish they made those an open link to more than just Noorda applicants. Those webinars are incredibly informative and helpful.

For those that are interested, here’s the link to the GroupMe chat: GroupMe

submitted my primary on 9/29 and have not received a secondary from here yet

Reactions: 1 users