2021-2022 NYU, Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Morningnight for sharing this year's prompts!

2021-2022 NYU, Long Island Secondary Essay Prompts (different from last year's prompts)

1. Please explain your reasons for choosing this field of medicine – including those experiences (pre-medical, professional or personal) that have informed your interest in this area. (Maximum: 300 words) (Choices are IM, Pediatrics, OBGYN, General Surgery)
2. NYU Long Island School of Medicine is committed to training physicians guided by the ‘principles of primary care’ which encompass patient-centered care that is: comprehensive, continuous, coordinated, collaborative, culturally sensitive and community-based. Please tell us how these competencies align with your professional goals as a future physician? (Maximum: 300 words)
3. Among the core competencies expected of entering medical students are the capacity for improvement and adaptability and resilience. Please describe a situation or personal challenge that motivated you to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, re-assess or change your behavior, navigate an unexpected outcome, and/or learn from your mistakes. (Maximum: 300 words)
4. CHOOSE EITHER Option A or Option B.
Option A:
Active learning is a core learning methodology in the NYU Long Island School of Medicine curriculum and involves students working together in small groups on clinical case-based problems utilizing:

• Self-directed learning: Identifying what information they need and thinking critically in applying this information to address the program
  • Self-assessment: Identifying their knowledge gaps or what they don’t understand about the problem
  • Teamwork: Assisting peers in integrating and applying knowledge to a given problem and being able to learn from peers and teach peers and moving readily between these roles
Please share an example of your problem-solving experience(s) in a group or leadership role utilizing self-directed learning, self-assessment, and/or teamwork which you feel has prepared you to be successful in an active learning educational setting.

Additionally, please comment on what do you feel are the benefits of self-directed learning, self-assessment, and team work as a medical student and for your future career as a physician? (Maximum: 300 words)

Option B:
The NYU Long Island School of Medicine curriculum includes the study of health systems science domains including:
  • Healthcare Policy
  • Population and Public Health
  • Epidemiology and Biostatistics
  • Health System Improvement and Patient Safety
Which of these domains interests you the most and why? If applicable, please include those aspects of your academic studies, pre-medical, professional and/or personal experiences that have informed your interest in the domain you selected.

In addition, please tell us how you envision impacting the delivery of health care through your study of health systems science at NYULISOM? (Maximum: 300 words)

5. Please tell us about your current and future planned activities during this application cycle. (Maximum: 200 words)
6. (Optional) We recognize applicants may have had to overcome significant obstacles or hardships in their lives. This may also include disparate impacts of the COVID pandemic, racial injustice, discrimination and inequality. If you feel any of these circumstances apply to you, the admissions committee is interested to understand how these experiences affected you personally or impacted your academic or professional path. (Maximum: 300 words)
7. (Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, inconsistencies in your MCAT score, impact of COVID on your academic studies, if you took a leave of absence for any reason during college or any application irregularities about which you wish the admissions committee to know more. (Maximum: 300 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Read somewhere that this is primary care binding? Can someone comment on the trueness of this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Read somewhere that this is primary care binding? Can someone comment on the trueness of this?
It's definitely not binding, but it wouldn't make sense to apply if you knew for sure that you were not interested in primary care

Just wanted to check because I see conflicting answers in the 2020-2021 thread: does anyone know if FM is an option that you can pick on the secondary for the "Please indicate your reasons for choosing this particular field" prompt? I'm pre-writing and will have to answer it completely differently if I can only pick IM or Peds instead!

OOS Secondary Received. The email says to start application click here but I do not have link that I can click in this email. Anyone having the same issue?

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 5.03.02 PM.png

Same guys. I guess we should wait until tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
should I be worried? I see people got secondaries, but I haven't yet. Was verified, recieved from other schools, but not NYU Long Island.

should I be worried? I see people got secondaries, but I haven't yet. Was verified, recieved from other schools, but not NYU Long Island.
+1 haven't received one either, but well over any potential screening barrier. From the people who *have received* secondaries, it seems as if they weren't given a proper link. My guess is they either didn't mean to send any at all out yet, or they're trying to figure out how to fix sending proper links to everyone.

OOS secondary received with the link to the portal now. They've changed quite a few of these prompts. @wysdoc

1. Please explain your reasons for choosing this field of medicine – including those experiences (pre-medical, professional or personal) that have informed your interest in this area. (Maximum: 300 words) (Choices are IM, Pediatrics, OBGYN, General Surgery)
2. NYU Long Island School of Medicine is committed to training physicians guided by the ‘principles of primary care’ which encompass patient-centered care that is: comprehensive, continuous, coordinated, collaborative, culturally sensitive and community-based. Please tell us how these competencies align with your professional goals as a future physician? (Maximum: 300 words)
3. Among the core competencies expected of entering medical students are the capacity for improvement and adaptability and resilience. Please describe a situation or personal challenge that motivated you to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, re-assess or change your behavior, navigate an unexpected outcome, and/or learn from your mistakes. (Maximum: 300 words)
Option A:
Active learning is a core learning methodology in the NYU Long Island School of Medicine curriculum and involves students working together in small groups on clinical case-based problems utilizing:

• Self-directed learning: Identifying what information they need and thinking critically in applying this information to address the program
  • Self-assessment: Identifying their knowledge gaps or what they don’t understand about the problem
  • Teamwork: Assisting peers in integrating and applying knowledge to a given problem and being able to learn from peers and teach peers and moving readily between these roles
Please share an example of your problem-solving experience(s) in a group or leadership role utilizing self-directed learning, self-assessment, and/or teamwork which you feel has prepared you to be successful in an active learning educational setting.

Additionally, please comment on what do you feel are the benefits of self-directed learning, self-assessment, and team work as a medical student and for your future career as a physician? (Maximum: 300 words)

Option B:
The NYU Long Island School of Medicine curriculum includes the study of health systems science domains including:

• Healthcare Policy
Which of these domains interests you the most and why? If applicable, please include those aspects of your academic studies, pre-medical, professional and/or personal experiences that have informed your interest in the domain you selected.

In addition, please tell us how you envision impacting the delivery of health care through your study of health systems science at NYULISOM? (Maximum: 300 words)
5. Please tell us about your current and future planned activities during this application cycle. (Maximum: 200 words)
6. (Optional) We recognize applicants may have had to overcome significant obstacles or hardships in their lives. This may also include disparate impacts of the COVID pandemic, racial injustice, discrimination and inequality. If you feel any of these circumstances apply to you, the admissions committee is interested to understand how these experiences affected you personally or impacted your academic or professional path. (Maximum: 300 words)
7. (Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, inconsistencies in your MCAT score, impact of COVID on your academic studies, if you took a leave of absence for any reason during college or any application irregularities about which you wish the admissions committee to know more. (Maximum: 300 words)

Reactions: 3 users
OOS secondary received with the link to the portal now. They've changed quite a few of these prompts. @wysdoc

Option A:

Option B:

• Healthcare Policy

this is... a lot

Reactions: 4 users
Should we talk about all of the competencies for question 2?

NYU Long Island School of Medicine is committed to training physicians guided by the ‘principles of primary care’ which encompass patient-centered care that is: comprehensive, continuous, coordinated, collaborative, culturally sensitive and community-based. Please tell us how these competencies align with your professional goals as a future physician?

Does anyone know how binding the residency choice is? I am interested in general surgery but all of my surgery experiences have been in subspecialties (not really a conscious choice on my part, just what fell into my lap) so I'm worried that adcoms will see this and think I'm lying. I work as a medical assistant for an oculoplastic surgeon right now and am in the OR a lot so I have good SURGERY experience but again, just worried about how this will be perceived. I have more I could speak to in terms of background if I select OB/GYN but I am not as interested in this field - can anyone comment on how easy it is to switch between the four specialties they offer? Or have any suggestions with which route I should go?

Does anyone know how binding the residency choice is? I am interested in general surgery but all of my surgery experiences have been in subspecialties (not really a conscious choice on my part, just what fell into my lap) so I'm worried that adcoms will see this and think I'm lying. I work as a medical assistant for an oculoplastic surgeon right now and am in the OR a lot so I have good SURGERY experience but again, just worried about how this will be perceived. I have more I could speak to in terms of background if I select OB/GYN but I am not as interested in this field - can anyone comment on how easy it is to switch between the four specialties they offer? Or have any suggestions with which route I should go?

I don't think they'll think that you're lying, as most premeds take whatever opportunities they can get. Plus you aren't restricted to pure gen surg for the rest of your life if you apply to the gen surg track. You could always do a pediatric surg fellowship, breast fellowship, etc

Same here, I also mostly shadowed sub specialties and still picked general surgery. We’ll see if it works out I guess.

Should we talk about all of the competencies for question 2?

NYU Long Island School of Medicine is committed to training physicians guided by the ‘principles of primary care’ which encompass patient-centered care that is: comprehensive, continuous, coordinated, collaborative, culturally sensitive and community-based. Please tell us how these competencies align with your professional goals as a future physician?
I came here with the same question. I have been procrastinating on this response because I can't decide how to answer it. I'm thinking of picking 2-3 to touch on. I feel like if I answer all 6, it will seem very list-y and robotic.

Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to switch to one of the other specialties/residency spots they offer once you are in the school. I know I want to either do OB/GYN or general surgery so if I select one of those now, would it be possible to switch to the other and get the guaranteed residency spot?

How long did it take for ppl to receive a secondary? I was verified first day but still haven’t received a secondary.

Did anyone else get an email yesterday with an invitation to a webinar on 7/28?

Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone summarize the webinar? I missed it cause I was at work rip

Can anyone summarize the webinar? I missed it cause I was at work rip
Was not able to catch too much unfortunately, but I caught a little bit about the post-secondary submission process.
  • Completed applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received.
  • Interviews starts on 09/10 and run through mid-January
  • Acceptances will be offered in mid-February (there are no rolling admissions here)

• Care
Was not able to catch too much unfortunately, but I caught a little bit about the post-secondary submission process.
  • Completed applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received.
  • Acceptances will be offered in mid-February (there are no rolling admissions here)
They also mentioned they will begin sending II's the 2nd or 3rd week of August and there are 24 available seats for this years class.

• Okay...
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the info guys!!! 24 seats sheesh

Hey everyone. Just got an email. For context, I'm drowning in secondaries even though I was complete before 6/25 because of work/life and I haven't submitted my secondary here yet. Is this a thing that everyone running late gets or something that should bode well for my interview chances?

1627566764385.png

Hey everyone. Just got an email. For context, I'm drowning in secondaries even though I was complete before 6/25 because of work/life and I haven't submitted my secondary here yet. Is this a thing that everyone running late gets or something that should bode well for my interview chances?

View attachment 341198
I just got that email as well. Others can feel free to chime in, but I believe it's just because we are slacking on the secondary turnaround...

View attachment 341198
I may be wrong but this may be a money grab. MSAR says they send the secondary to ALL applicants.

View attachment 341198
It’s automated and sent to everyone who hasn’t completed lol

View attachment 341198
In the info session yesterday they were really pushing people to get their apps in ASAP (they encouraged a few times to get them in by this weekend). They aren't rolling admissions so it seems like they just want to see as many apps as possible before giving out those II's

In the info session yesterday they were really pushing people to get their apps in ASAP (they encouraged a few times to get them in by this weekend). They aren't rolling admissions so it seems like they just want to see as many apps as possible before giving out those II's
So by them not being rolling admissions does that mean that they wait to have all interviews before sending out any A's?

So by them not being rolling admissions does that mean that they wait to have all interviews before sending out any A's?
Yup

Yup
Oh dang so if interviews start in 11 days I’m guessing II’s will be rolling out next week?

Yup
Also do you know if they send out II’s/review secondaries in the order that they were received?

Oh dang so if interviews start in 11 days I’m guessing II’s will be rolling out next week?
They said II's for the first interviews on 9/10 will be released the second or third week of August. After that, II's will be released 2-3 weeks before the next interview date

Also do you know if they send out II’s/review secondaries in the order that they were received?
Yes, they mentioned they were reviewing apps in the order that they are completed.

They said II's for the first interviews on 9/10 will be released the second or third week of August. After that, II's will be released 2-3 weeks before the next interview date
Ah that makes sense I read 9/10 as 8/10 and freaked out lol. Thank you!

Does anyone know if the interviews are online? That is the only way I will apply because this school has less than a 10% post-II acceptance rate...

• Wow
I have an update LOL, II received today!!!! In-state.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users