2021-2022 Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @CantFindMeNowAdcoms for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Ohio State Secondary Essay Prompts

*REQUIRED ESSAYS FOR THOSE APPLYING TO REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD AND THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
  • The mission statement of The Ohio State University College of Medicine is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas. (250 words or less)
  • The OSU COM Admissions vision statement states that the admissions committee will assemble a class that displays "diversity in background and thought." Why is "diversity in background and thought" a desirable characteristic for a medical school's student body? (250 words or less)
  • Please use the space below to communicate anything you would like to share with the admissions committee related to the pandemic. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; or hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine. (250 words or less)

ADDITIONAL REQUIRED ESSAYS ONLY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
  • How do you feel ready to choose a career in family medicine? Please provide any examples of exposure and/or experiences not already mentioned in your application. (250 words or less)
  • "Health is Primary" is a communications campaign to advocate for the values of family medicine, demonstrate the benefits of primary care, and engage patients in our healthcare system. The aim is to build a primary care system that reflects the values of family medicine, puts patients at the center of their care, and improves the health of all Americans. How do you plan to reflect the values of Family Medicine in your future career? (250 words or less)

OPTIONAL ESSAY
  • We understand students were affected academically over the past year. Many schools allowed or mandated pass/fail coursework for the Spring 2020 term and beyond. If you have taken pre-requisite courses pass/fail after Spring 2020 please provide details so we can better understand your situation. (250 words or less)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone know if there's a max number of rec letters? I don't see one on MSAR or the website

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if there's a max number of rec letters? I don't see one on MSAR or the website
1622147365391.png

Tl;dr No limit, but be tasteful and cap it at 5 max.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone would be able to read my secondary questions to see if I wrote them well please send me a PM. I will be willing to read yours in return!.

Prompts the same?

Some minor changes in the #1 PCT question and the addition of the P/F question.

@wysdoc

*REQUIRED ESSAY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD AND THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
  • The mission statement of The Ohio State University College of Medicine is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas. (250 words or less)
  • The OSU COM Admissions vision statement states that the admissions committee will assemble a class that displays "diversity in background and thought." Why is "diversity in background and thought" a desirable characteristic for a medical school's student body? (250 words or less)
  • Please use the space below to communicate anything you would like to share with the admissions committee related to the pandemic. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; or hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine. (250 words or less)

ADDITIONAL REQUIRED ESSAY ONLY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
  • How do you feel ready to choose a career in family medicine? Please provide any examples of exposure and/or experiences not already mentioned in your application. (250 words or less)
  • "Health is Primary" is a communications campaign to advocate for the values of family medicine, demonstrate the benefits of primary care, and engage patients in our healthcare system. The aim is to build a primary care system that reflects the values of family medicine, puts patients at the center of their care, and improves the health of all Americans. How do you plan to reflect the values of Family Medicine in your future career? (250 words or less)

OPTIONAL ESSAY
  • We understand students were affected academically over the past year. Many schools allowed or mandated pass/fail coursework for the Spring 2020 term and beyond. If you have taken pre-requisite courses pass/fail after Spring 2020 please provide details so we can better understand your situation. (250 words or less)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have trouble accessing the application after submitting it? I tried logging in, but it only prompts me to start a new non-MD application.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow I've never seen a school ask for a list of schools previously applied for...any idea how/why they use this list?

How do we know what our "degree date" is or do we just put what day we graduated on?

emailed to set up an ohio state account… anyone else? haven’t seen this from other schools

emailed to set up an ohio state account… anyone else? haven’t seen this from other schools
Didn't receive OSU yet, but Cincinnati and Brown set up student accounts for you too

OOS just received secondary app!

OOS Still haven't received, verified first day.

Reactions: 3 users
To whoever is still waiting, you’re not alone

Reactions: 7 users
OOS with strong ties to Ohio received 7/12!

Anyone else have trouble accessing the application after submitting it? I tried logging in, but it only prompts me to start a new non-MD application.
This happened to me too. I don't think I got an email confirmation after submitting my secondary either. Did this happen to anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
Reminder for those applying MSTP that you must submit a personal statement reflecting on the chosen graduate program in the secondary as well as a current CV and you must send transcripts to their graduate school!

Weird, IS with relatively high stats and I still haven't received one.

This happened to me too. I don't think I got an email confirmation after submitting my secondary either. Did this happen to anyone else?
Happened to me too. Wanted to check on my status today after submitting and couldn't find it.

Happened to me too. Wanted to check on my status today after submitting and couldn't find it.
I received an application acknowledgement email later the day that I submitted, and it says to allow 3-5 days for the application to post to the SIS (student information system). They'll send an email to you when this is set up. You'll need to activate your name.# prior to access what I believe is called the VITALS system, which you can use to view your status.

TLDR: Wait for their email for next steps!

+1 OOS secondary received today! My primary was submitted first day possible

Still nothing, starting to think it’s because I attend a certain school up north . . .
I have not received anything either! Technically OOS residency but working and living in Cbus now!

Anyone know if you are marked “complete” when OSU receives the minimum number of LORs or or do you have to have every letter in that you sent to OSU?

In-state and still haven't received a secondary, anyone else? My AMCAS was processed on June 10th