2021-2022 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If that's how you feel I would honestly not tell them anything and just wait and see. If you tell them it's Cleveland or nothing they may think you're going to be difficult to deal with.
I mean I'm not being difficult, my family lives here- my support group is here. Literally during my interview they were hounding me on that just about my specialty (which I'm still being open with). But I said I have a good support network. However, if I'm taken away from that I can kiss my chance of doing well/succeeding. That's just being realistic.

If that's how you feel I would honestly not tell them anything and just wait and see. If you tell them it's Cleveland or nothing they may think you're going to be difficult to deal with.
I agree! They said before (in reference to if you got an acceptance call to your 2nd or 3rd choice campus and you want only your 1st), if you say no to one campus, you are saying no to HCOM (all three campuses), especially since they live stream their lectures across all 3 campuses.

But also having a support system is extremely important for med school, so I totally get where @dr.batman is coming from.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I'm not being difficult, my family lives here- my support group is here. Literally during my interview they were hounding me on that just about my specialty (which I'm still being open with). But I said I have a good support network. However, if I'm taken away from that I can kiss my chance of doing well/succeeding. That's just being realistic.
I get where you're coming from, but to them moving away from that is a risk you take when you want to become a doctor. If you get into a non cleaveland campus I would call but I wouldn't do so beforehand.

I agree! They said before (in reference to if you got an acceptance call to your 2nd or 3rd choice campus and you want only your 1st), if you say no to one campus, you are saying no to HCOM (all three campuses), especially since they live stream their lectures across all 3 campuses.

But also having a support system is extremely important for med school, so I totally get where @dr.batman is coming from.
In reality I get that if I were to get a call from Athens I would have a hard time saying no. But the more I think about it the easier it's getting because of that 2 years (3+ hour car ride). Again, it's a personal decision. I'm older and I want to spend time with family.

I sent an email, to ask to speak with them (sent a mini update as well).

So I attended some of the Choose DO events today and some of the main takeaways were:
  • If you are on a waitlist and haven't talked with the admissions team yet, reach out to Bre, Terry, or Jill to set up a meeting and give you feedback.
  • They are still accepting updates and you can send it to the main admission email
  • Bre mentioned that she had matched 53 out of 64 incoming students at the Cleveland campus with second-year students. It sounded like these students were 100% committed (so I am assuming a small chance of WL movement at that campus).
  • They are working on financial aid packets, but if you got accepted off the WL this late, there are no HCOM scholarships since the app was closed, but they accept outside scholarships or loans.
This is mainly what I heard from them during the time I was there that was important to those of us on the WL.I attended like 1.5 hours, so I'm not sure if anything else was discussed before I got on or after I left.

I also attended shortly today ^ and heres my notes:
  • I asked Jill about if we have seen the expected may movement happening in June, she said "its been crickets for weeks and weeks. we are starting to see movement specifically at Athens but not as expected. Many Ohio MD schools are experiencing the same lack of melt"
  • Institutional scholarships will be announced in July, financial aid will be disbursed on August 12. The hold on financials has nothing to do with waitlist
  • The LAST POSSIBLE time for acceptance from them is 1pm on August 11th. They hold their white coat ceremony on 8/12 and wouldnt bring anyone in day of

These are straight from them! Lowkey did not give me hope other than to hear their excitement when I joined the session :/ If anyone is holding another acceptance but this is their #1 I would love to talk, I am struggling planning moving forward. (Dont get me wrong I am over the moon to hold ANY acceptances, I just really have high hopes for OU)

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to encourage those of you on the waitlist to hang in there.

We have GroupMe for accepted students and I noticed there have been a couple people leave the Athens group chat so hopefully there will be some movement for you all soon!
Any more changes in the GroupMe?
I sent an email, to ask to speak with them (sent a mini update as well).
Did you hear back from them?

I got my acceptance email from Athens today after a long wait, I could not be happier.... I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone else who is still waiting because I was in your shoes for a long while!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

They're not willing to speak about waitlist stuff. So honestly, I'm kinda just done. I've sent plenty of updates about what they wanted and they keep making excuses.

• Care
I got my acceptance email from Athens today after a long wait, I could not be happier.... I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone else who is still waiting because I was in your shoes for a long while!
Oh my gosh congrats!!!!! That must be such a relief. What were your stats?

Congrats!!!! When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
They're not willing to speak about waitlist stuff. So honestly, I'm kinda just done. I've sent plenty of updates about what they wanted and they keep making excuses.
Hopefully you will get something positive from them soon! Sorry it's been like that for you.

Reactions: 1 user

There have been a couple of people join, but I have not seen anyone leave the group since earlier this week. I will let you know if I see more movement!

To any current HCOM students: could you provide some insight into what materials or equipment we should purchase beforehand vs those that will be provided by HCOM? I will be going out of town soon for a final vacation and want to get this stuff knocked out asap. I'll be attending Athens if that helps!

Edit: found a list on the HCOM site.... are otoscopes, ophthalmoscopes, sphygmomanometers, percussion hammers, tuning forks, and EKG calipers actually required?

Last edited:
same here!! keeping the hope (even though I need to sign a lease here soon so I am in fact panicking
Same 😭 holding hope since this school is #1 but I need to sign a lease around the other school as well. So stressful 😂

Ive been in contact with terry for a while but does anyone think it may be worth while to send a second letter of intent? I dont have any updates really but think I could send it to Dean Schriner and maybe that would remind them I'm uber interested? Bad idea?

Ive been in contact with terry for a while but does anyone think it may be worth while to send a second letter of intent? I dont have any updates really but think I could send it to Dean Schriner and maybe that would remind them I'm uber interested? Bad idea?
If you already sent one, you can probably send an email to check in and show continuous interest. If you send a second letter of intent, you will be saying the same thing again, especially if you already sent one and don't have any updates to add, so I wouldn't do it.
I think a check in email with a reminder of your previous letter of intent and continuous interest will be the way to go.

Has anyone heard any updates recently, particularly about the Dublin campus?

Dr. Schriner said there's not much movement at Cleveland or Athens so I mean send it don't send it...

Has anyone heard any updates recently, particularly about the Dublin campus?
Nothing recently other than what has been posted here previously. It has been very slow with almost no updates from them.

hi everyone, i'm an applicant for this cycle, but i have a friend who was just accepted off the waitlist yesterday to cleveland campus - just wanted to let you guys know!

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
hi everyone, i'm an applicant for this cycle, but i have a friend who was just accepted off the waitlist yesterday to cleveland campus - just wanted to let you guys know!
Wow.... congrats to your friend, but they told someone I know that Cleveland is done with movement.

message from dean in response to my email (I decided against update letter) was reassuring since he knows who I am and said he would call if my time comes buttttttt not much info at all or much to hold on to at this point. "A lot of things can happen in the home stretch so do not count us out just yet." is easy said by him but not done in practice!!! holding out any last hope i can.

• Care
message from dean in response to my email (I decided against update letter) was reassuring since he knows who I am and said he would call if my time comes buttttttt not much info at all or much to hold on to at this point. "A lot of things can happen in the home stretch so do not count us out just yet." is easy said by him but not done in practice!!! holding out any last hope i can.
I hope our time comes sooner than later!

• Love
Has anyone with the campus preference of Athens tried to reach out for application feedback lately? I emailed admissions at the beginning of June, called a couple weeks ago, and emailed again at the beginning of the week. Still haven’t heard anything back from admissions other than being told that my requests are being sent to Jill. I am on the waitlist now, but really want to get my application for the next cycle in as soon as possible. I just don’t want to do that without any feedback. ☹️

Has anyone with the campus preference of Athens tried to reach out for application feedback lately? I emailed admissions at the beginning of June, called a couple weeks ago, and emailed again at the beginning of the week. Still haven’t heard anything back from admissions other than being told that my requests are being sent to Jill. I am on the waitlist now, but really want to get my application for the next cycle in as soon as possible. I just don’t want to do that without any feedback. ☹️
Reach out to Jill directly or Dr. Michael Rice. Nicole might still be off for maternity leave.

It definitely makes me worried that my updates or letter of intent also weren’t received.

Reach out to Jill directly or Dr. Michael Rice. Nicole might still be off for maternity leave.
It definitely makes me worried that my updates or letter of intent also weren’t received.
Dr. Michael Rice left OU-HCOM, his last day was June 17th. The only person who is over seeing Athens campus is Jill.

• Wow
Dr. Rice is now the director of admissions at a medical school at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA. I believe it is a new DO school that will be opening soon. I personally tried to email Jill multiple times but never got a reply from her. Honestly, if you want an app review, reach out to Bre or Terry. They are usually way better at replying to emails.

Dr. Rice is now the director of admissions at a medical school at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA. I believe it is a new DO school that will be opening soon. I personally tried to email Jill multiple times but never got a reply from her. Honestly, if you want an app review, reach out to Bre or Terry. They are usually way better at replying to emails.
Wow congrats to Dr. Rice then. He gave me some good feedback - maybe that's why they're butthurt about my application

Jill has said in the past at events that if she does not reply within 24 hrs, email her again in the same thread FYI.

I do not envy those who work in admissions for that reason alone in the sheer number of emails...

Reactions: 2 users
Dear whatever entity controls admissions: THIS WEEK IS THE WEEK!!! I won’t give up faith until august 11th hits

• Love
  • Care
Did anyone contact admission last week or this week for any WL updates? 👀 The waiting game is getting harder 😭

Did anyone contact admission last week or this week for any WL updates? 👀 The waiting game is getting harder 😭
I did! Honestly just the same spiel as always - movement is slow, keep hope, there's still time...

• Okay...
Hi everyone waiting on the waitlist. Wanted to say that I faced the same issue with Toledo's admissions last year. They didn't give me an answer about waitlist movement until it was super late in the game (early-mid July) and I had to move into my apartment the first day of orientation in Dublin. I say this mostly just to empathize. I know it is hard [aka ridiculous] sometimes having to wait. But it is all going to work out. You're all going to be great physicians in time.

As for Dublin, this is the email Terry sent to the 2nd years on Friday:

"I know a lot of you are waiting to hear about your COMrades. I just wanted to let you know I am getting the match process underway soon. There has been some movement in the class and I wanted to wait to start matching until it started to slow a bit.

It will take me a week or two, but you will have your matches soon!"

-COMrades are the first and second year pairs that we are assigned or that we select to be our mentor/mentee.
-I'm unsure if this means that all movement has been finished, but I think it still means hope for anyone still waiting. He's specifically describing movement in the class and perhaps it means it is still happening.

I can't attest to any other campus because they send it via year & campus for campus-specific information.

I genuinely hope everyone hears good news in the coming days.

Edit: If anyone wants me to, I can email people in CLE to see if they have their COMrades already. That might give more of an indication on waitlist movement there.

• Love
Hi everyone waiting on the waitlist. Wanted to say that I faced the same issue with Toledo's admissions last year. They didn't give me an answer about waitlist movement until it was super late in the game (early-mid July) and I had to move into my apartment the first day of orientation in Dublin. I say this mostly just to empathize. I know it is hard [aka ridiculous] sometimes having to wait. But it is all going to work out. You're all going to be great physicians in time.

"I know a lot of you are waiting to hear about your COMrades. I just wanted to let you know I am getting the match process underway soon. There has been some movement in the class and I wanted to wait to start matching until it started to slow a bit.

-COMrades are the first and second year pairs that we are assigned or that we select to be our mentor/mentee.
-I'm unsure if this means that all movement has been finished, but I think it still means hope for anyone still waiting. He's specifically describing movement in the class and perhaps it means it is still happening.

I can't attest to any other campus because they send it via year & campus for campus-specific information.

Edit: If anyone wants me to, I can email people in CLE to see if they have their COMrades already. That might give more of an indication on waitlist movement there.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share this information! This is VERY helpful! At least there's movement happening, but maybe under reported here. Also, perhaps the "hope" admission is talking about is still there?
Bre from CLE mentioned during ChooseDO 2 weeks ago that she matched 53 out of 64 of COMrades so maybe movement is happening for Dublin and Athens.
If you know anyone at Athens who could talk about COMrades matches there, I would take any info that gives me some hope.

Thank you for always providing us with as much as you can!!! I know we all appreciate your guidance

• Care
Just wanted to post that I received info about my COMrade this morning (Athens)

Thank you for always providing us with as much as you can!!! I know we all appreciate your guidance
Always. SDN gave me people to ask questions to, so I am just thankful that I have the opportunity to pay it forward.

• Love
To any current HCOM students: could you provide some insight into what materials or equipment we should purchase beforehand vs those that will be provided by HCOM? I will be going out of town soon for a final vacation and want to get this stuff knocked out asap. I'll be attending Athens if that helps!

Edit: found a list on the HCOM site.... are otoscopes, ophthalmoscopes, sphygmomanometers, percussion hammers, tuning forks, and EKG calipers actually required?

i think they might all be "required".

i used- stethoscope, oto/ophthalmoscope (+tips), BP cuff, reflex hammer.
i didnt use- tuning fork, ekg calipers.

the only ones youll keep using IRL after year2- stethoscope, +/- reflex hammer

friend of mine accepted to athens on friday day just to keep yall updated! I am still hopeful my call will come

• Care
friend of mine accepted to athens on friday day just to keep yall updated! I am still hopeful my call will come
Fingers crossed and so many good vibes going your way. I really want to see you get accepted!

• Love

I am accepted to Cleveland and got my COMrade on 7/1. Several people have joined the GroupMe lately, so I assume that means movement is happening. I hope everyone here waiting gets the call soon!!

• Love
I am accepted to Cleveland and got my COMrade on 7/1. Several people have joined the GroupMe lately, so I assume that means movement is happening. I hope everyone here waiting gets the call soon!!
Doubtful at this point tbh... But thanks, let us know if anyone leaves the GroupMe

• Care