2021-2022 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM-PA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Does the same admission committee read PCOM and PCOM-Georgia applications? Wondering since they have separate primary applications.

Does the same admission committee read PCOM and PCOM-Georgia applications? Wondering since they have separate primary applications.
Separate Committees for all three schools which is why they encourage you to apply broadly. You can interview at one school and be accepted, interview at another and WL and never hear from the third.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is community service a big component at PCOM? I can not find anything on the site.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, does anyone know how does the PA campus look at reinvention? I have a lower than the listed average GPA but a strong upward trend. When I look at past threads it seems that everyone had high stats for the PA location.

Is community service a big component at PCOM? I can not find anything on the site.
Following! Having trouble finding a lot of information on their website to answer the secondary question.

Yes PCOM really values community involvement and service! There’s a large underserved population in the surrounding area so PCOM tries to get involved as much as possible. They have a multitude of outreach programs including their free student clinic, middle school enrichment program, HPREP, and many others. A lot of students also volunteer at MANNA which involves packaging food for underserved.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all - proud PCOM grad here. Happy to entertain Qs and wanted to say good luck and happy you've all chosen to apply to PCOM

Hi all - proud PCOM grad here. Happy to entertain Qs and wanted to say good luck and happy you've all chosen to apply to PCOM
Thanks so much for your time!
How is the research environment there? Do most people, if they participate in research, do clinical or wet lab?

Thanks so much for your time!
How is the research environment there? Do most people, if they participate in research, do clinical or wet lab?
Much of the research opportunities must be sought after by the student. PCOM and its faculty do have labs on-site and there are opportunities at other institutions and hospitals. I did a case report and research at one of our affiliate hospitals.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received the confirmation email saying their application was received to pay the $75 application review fee and to access the portal?

Has anyone received the confirmation email saying their application was received to pay the $75 application review fee and to access the portal?
Nope

edit: anyone know if their waive secondary fees if you qualify for FAP

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
nothing here either. some people on reddit are saying that there might be an aacomas delay with app transmission

Just called PCOM, they said they haven't been looking through primary applications yet or send out emails but they will start that "very soon". So for anyone worrying you aren't behind the ball.

@YayPudding . How much do you think going to PCOM prohibits you from going into something like Ortho? It's the specialty I know many people say DO makes it way more difficult, but I'm just wondering how much more difficult you think it would be to do a competitive specialty like that vs coming from an average MD school. Thanks!

@YayPudding . How much do you think going to PCOM prohibits you from going into something like Ortho? It's the specialty I know many people say DO makes it way more difficult, but I'm just wondering how much more difficult you think it would be to do a competitive specialty like that vs coming from an average MD school. Thanks!

Not the user you tagged, but PCOM actually has its own ortho residency and some other competitive specialties' residencies as well. As far as DO schools go, PCOM is a good one if you're shooting high

I personally know 2 grads from Rowan in South Jersey that did Ortho. Lost touch with one but the other has had amazing opportunities doing a Fellowship in Utah and is now in VA doing Oncology Ortho. She is in the military so they tell her where to go and not sure if that has anything to do with it, however the other friend was NOT military and ended up in practice in Ohio or West Virginia and doing quite well from what I hear.

I personally know 2 grads from Rowan in South Jersey that did Ortho. Lost touch with one but the other has had amazing opportunities doing a Fellowship in Utah and is now in VA doing Oncology Ortho. She is in the military so they tell her where to go and not sure if that has anything to do with it, however the other friend was NOT military and ended up in practice in Ohio or West Virginia and doing quite well from what I hear.
Not to be rude, but what is the relevance here? Or were you not responding to my comment?

Not to be rude, but what is the relevance here? Or were you not responding to my comment?
The relevance is that they're saying DO isn't necessarily going to hold you back from going Ortho, using another school as an example.

hey guys any advice on this: under my experiences section on my primary application my computer autofilled and I accidentally put myself as my supervisor for one of my experiences on a college athletics team. does anyone have any advice on if I should send admissions an email to correct this? i don't want them to think, that I think I am my own supervisor lol --- also I already fully submitted just FYI

any advice is appreciated, I am kind of freaking out that I missed this

hey guys any advice on this: under my experiences section on my primary application my computer autofilled and I accidentally put myself as my supervisor for one of my experiences on a college athletics team. does anyone have any advice on if I should send admissions an email to correct this? i don't want them to think, that I think I am my own supervisor lol --- also I already fully submitted just FYI

any advice is appreciated, I am kind of freaking out that I missed this
That's a tough situation. I would say at the end of the day you should just email to correct the issue and/or call the school. It may not look the best, but I highly doubt that adcoms would reject you for a small mistake on your application. I'm sure it happens all the time.

The relevance is that they're saying DO isn't necessarily going to hold you back from going Ortho, using another school as an example.
Thank you. Yes Ortho has been difficult in the past for DO's so just wanted to put my two cents in about that. Sorry you did not see it as relevant.

I actually can't speak very well regarding this as I was military/HPSP and did my match within the military system. That said, I have peers who matched into just about every specialty.

Thank you. Yes Ortho has been difficult in the past for DO's so just wanted to put my two cents in about that. Sorry you did not see it as relevant.
To back up your previous post, a simple look at their match lists from the past 2 cycles shows 5 matches in Ortho in 2020, and 6 in 2021.

someone on reddit said they emailed pcom, apparently pcom is having issues with aacomas

Hey, all! Quick question. I have an MCAT score of 506. High GPA (near 3.8). Did well on science sections, but I didn't do as well on CARS. Got a 123. I know that PCOM prefers applicants with 125+ in each section... should I apply here?

Hey, all! Quick question. I have an MCAT score of 506. High GPA (near 3.8). Did well on science sections, but I didn't do as well on CARS. Got a 123. I know that PCOM prefers applicants with 125+ in each section... should I apply here?
What was your distribution?

What do you think of a 124/128/129/132? Fumbled the bag on chem/phys :/
I feel that the other sections are harder to explain away. CARS has always been the section under most scrutiny. But the others are mostly what show you can do well on licensing exams. I'm not sure how they'd look at that.

Edit: 513 is a great score, don't let one subsection hold you back from applying.

I feel that the other sections are harder to explain away. CARS has always been the section under most scrutiny. But the others are mostly what show you can do well on licensing exams. I'm not sure how they'd look at that.

Edit: 513 is a great score, don't let one subsection hold you back from applying.

I applied and am hoping for the best, so we'll see. Thank you for the comment!

Does pcom waive fees if you qualify for fap?

Does pcom waive fees if you qualify for fap?
If they do, It would be an option on their portal/secondary. Which I can't tell you, since I haven't gotten it yet 😂

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a single primary application for two PCOM locations (Philadelphia, PA and Moultrie, GA) + a separate primary for PCOM-Georgia (Suwanee, GA)?

In case someone's confused with their no-supplemental-but-$75-fee there actually are supplemental questions. However they're implemented in the 1° form:

1. Admission to PCOM's DO program requires that a candidate possess U.S. citizenship or Permanent Resident status (green card). Are you US citizen or do you possess Permanent Residency (green card)? [Yes/No]
  2. Here you must select the PCOM location(s) for which you wish to be considered. Please select the PCOM location(s) for which you wish to be considered for admission.[one option]
    • PCOM Philadelphia
    • PCOM South Georgia
    • BOTH PCOM Philadelphia & South Georgia
  3. Do you have any relatives who attend or who graduated from any PCOM location?[Yes/No; additional questions if "Yes"]
    1. Select the relationship that best matches your legacy connection to any PCOM location [one option]
      • Aunt/Uncle
      • Brother/Sister
      • Cousin
      • Father
      • Mother
      • Grandfather
      • Grandmother
      • Great-Grandparent
      • Spouse
      • Multiple
      • Other Relative
    2. Please provide the name(s), class year(s) (if known), degree(s) (if known) and relationship(s) of all relatives who attend or graduated from any PCOM location. (500 characters)
  4. PCOM recognizes and affirms the dignity of all members of the PCOM community. Do you self-identify as part of the LGBTQIA community?
    1. Please use this space to specify your identity within the LGBTQIA community, if you wish. (optional, 200 characters)
  5. Have you ever participated in a PCOM-sponsored program for undergraduate, high school or middle school students interested in medicine/health sciences?[Yes/No; additional questions if "Yes"]
    1. Please briefly describe the program. (If possible, include program title, dates attended, grade, etc.) (500 characters)
    2. How did this experience influence your journey toward a career in Osteopathic Medicine? (500 characters)
  6. Are you a native English speaker?[Yes/No; additional questions if "No"]
    1. Please select from the following defined below. [one option]
      • English was the only language of instruction at my undergraduate institution.
      • My degree, from a regionally accredited US institution, is less than five years old.
      • Within the last five years, I have completed two full-time semesters/terms of graded coursework where English was the only language of instruction.
      • None of the above is true and I understand that I must submit official valid TOEFL scores in order to complete my application for admission.
    2. Have you ever taken an ESL curriculum? [Yes/No]
  7. DO/PhD Joint Degree Option (Philadelphia location ONLY)
    Please note: The deadline to be considered for the DO/PhD option at PCOM is Monday, November 2, 2020. After that date, you will only be able to select "No".
    Would you like to be considered for PCOM's DO/PhD joint degree program in Cellular and Molecular Biology with the University of the Sciences? (FOR PHILADELPHIA APPLICANTS ONLY)[Yes/No; additional essay if "Yes"]
    • Please provide your Personal Statement of Professional and Research Goals in order to be considered for the DO/PhD program through PCOM and the University of the Sciences. (2500 characters)
  8. Have you previously applied to any of PCOM's academic programs at any of our locations? [Yes/No; additional essay if "Yes"]
    • Please tell us what you have done since the submission of your last application that improves your candidacy to our DO program(s). (1500 characters)
  9. If you selected to be considered for the Philadelphia location of PCOM, please respond to the following question: What one aspect of the PCOM community resonates with your personality and values? (2000 characters; only available if q2 selected PA or both)
  10. If you selected to be considered for the South Georgia location of PCOM, please respond to the following question: What one aspect of the PCOM South Georgia community resonates with your personality and values? (2000 characters; only available if q2 selected GA or both)
  11. Use this space if you'd like to address any identified deficiencies in your application. (700 characters, optional)
  12. Certification By typing my full name below, I certify that all statements in this application are accurate, complete and not misleading; signify my understanding that false or omitted relevant information on this or any other application will result in immediate rejection; and agree to notify the PCOM Office of Admissions in writing promptly if there is any adverse change to my academic performance or criminal history. PCOM prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, race, sex, color, gender, gender identity and expression, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, sexual orientation, religion, creed, disability, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected class status in all its programs, activities, and employment practices. This policy applies in recruitment and admission of students and scholarship and loan programs. Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine subscribes to the principles and adheres to the requirements of state and federal law pertaining to civil rights and equal opportunity, in accordance with the requirements of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended; and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended. Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the PCOM Equity and Title IX Coordinator, who is the designated coordinator of PCOM's nondiscrimination program. Inquiries may also be directed to: Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C. Contact information can be found on the Office of Civil Rights website. (100 characters)

Another day, another day without PCOM secondary email.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Another day, another day without PCOM secondary email.
What am I missing... I thought the secondary was the supplemental application on AACOMAS.

Per their website:

Does PCOM’s DO program have secondary applications?​

There are no supplemental application requirements for 2022 admission. Rather, in the AACOMAS application, visit the Program Materials section of your PCOM application and respond to the questions posed on the Questions tab.

Reactions: 7 users