2021-2022 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @Zulka for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Rush Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed your insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)
2. Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this. (1000 characters)
3. Reflect on a time in which you personally gained more from an experience than what was expected. (1000 characters)
4. What do you hope to gain from your Rush Medical College experience that will make you a better/different physician? (1000 characters)
7. If applicable, describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your application to and/or preparation for medical school. (1000 characters)
8. Use this space to provide additional information you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your application (Optional, also 1000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In case anyone doesn't know, rush isn't sending secondaries until July 10th (per their website)

Reactions: 10 users
In case anyone doesn't know, rush isn't sending secondaries until July 10th (per their website)
Just got my secondary but it says that I applied ED, when I'm Regular M.D. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it the same prompts as last year?
I believe so, this year prompts:

1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed your insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)
2. Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this. (1000 characters)
3. Reflect on a time in which you personally gained more from an experience than what was expected. (1000 characters)
4. What do you hope to gain from your Rush Medical College experience that will make you a better/different physician? (1000 characters)
7. If applicable, describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your application to and/or preparation for medical school. (1000 characters)
8. Use this space to provide additional information you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your application (Optional, also 1000 characters)

@wysdoc

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else having difficult completing the LOR page of the secondary app? Whenever I try to save, it takes me to an error page :/

Was verified first day but haven’t received a secondary :/ little worried here

Is anyone else having difficult completing the LOR page of the secondary app? Whenever I try to save, it takes me to an error page :/
I'm having the same issue. I emailed them about it and they got back to me very quickly saying their developer is looking into it right now!

I'm having the same issue. I emailed them about it and they got back to me very quickly saying their developer is looking into it right now!
From my end, if you click 'save' instead of 'save and continue' it should be fine bc it says 'page is complete' at the top.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my end, if you click 'save' instead of 'save and continue' it should be fine bc it says 'page is complete' at the top.
UPDATE: It worked for me just now! I was able to save the page and the content stayed on there

verified day one and haven't received a secondary yet..

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Their website says they start sending secondaries on July 10, 2021, so I’m not sure why these ones are earlier.

Reactions: 2 users
Also got the secondary yesterday! But I don't see where it would say ED vs. Regular (I applied regular decision).

Also, for the LoR questionnaire, how should I answer it if my undergrad institution does offer a Committee Letter but my graduate institution does not? I'm 6 years removed from undergrad, so I opted to use individual letters from professors that taught me at the graduate level.

Also got the secondary yesterday! But I don't see where it would say ED vs. Regular (I applied regular decision).

Also, for the LoR questionnaire, how should I answer it if my undergrad institution does offer a Committee Letter but my graduate institution does not? I'm 6 years removed from undergrad, so I opted to use individual letters from professors that taught me at the graduate level.
If you think that the individual letters would be a better reflection of who you are as an individual/applicant, then you can talk about that!

If you think that the individual letters would be a better reflection of who you are as an individual/applicant, then you can talk about that!
I guess my question is more what should I indicate - 'yes, my institution does offer a committee letter' or 'no, my institution does not offer a committee letter.'
I have two institutions (A and B) and depending on which one I focus on, I will end up answering this yes/no question differently. The question after it asks what types of LoRs I'm sending. If I selected 'yes' for the first question and select 'individual LoRs,' it tells me to explain why I didn't use the committee letter. The individual letters are not from professors at institution A, but from B, where they do not offer the committee letter.

I guess my question is more what should I indicate - 'yes, my institution does offer a committee letter' or 'no, my institution does not offer a committee letter.'
I have two institutions (A and B) and depending on which one I focus on, I will end up answering this yes/no question differently. The question after it asks what types of LoRs I'm sending. If I selected 'yes' for the first question and select 'individual LoRs,' it tells me to explain why I didn't use the committee letter. The individual letters are not from professors at institution A, but from B, where they do not offer the committee letter.
You could select that institution A does provide committee letters, then in the explanation say that you are however many number of years removed from that institution and will be using individual LoRs from faculty/physicians that have had more recent interactions with you from institution B.

I would call!

Do yall think it's the wrong interpretation for the "directive/rule" question to talk about a ruling or decision a supervisor made that I didnt agree with? Like I got rejected from a position but it had personal implications and I changed because of it?

Reactions: 2 users
I got a secondary IS. And my application was just verified an hour before they sent it. So maybe everyone IS gets one?

Did anyone still not get a secondary?

So I didn't see that this school wants only 3 letters of recommendation. I sent in my committee letter (3 letters) + 1 individual. Do you think I should email admissions and to say to exclude the individual letter?

Do you guys think scribing is considered a direct patient care/contact experience? I never actually touched the patients but depending on how you define patient care I think it could be considered a patient care experience. It’s just kind of a gray area I guess and I need others’ opinions! 😊

Do you guys think scribing is considered a direct patient care/contact experience? I never actually touched the patients but depending on how you define patient care I think it could be considered a patient care experience. It’s just kind of a gray area I guess and I need others’ opinions! 😊
If you were in the room with the patients I don't see why not!

If we haven’t gotten a secondary yet, should we just assume we’re not going to

Sorry did you mean AMCAS or secondary submission? I meant that I got a secondary not an II. Are your quant stats within the ballpark of Rush? I know they value community service but I’m not sure if they manually review that or have an algorithm that does it somehow.

Sorry did you mean AMCAS or secondary submission? I meant that I got a secondary not an II. Are your quant stats within the ballpark of Rush? I know they value community service but I’m not sure if they manually review that or have an algorithm that does it somehow.
I believe I have their stats, not sure on the community service

Also I know it’s commonly said, but check your spam folder. I got a secondary that I didn’t even know about because it was in spam.

Now that I think about it, I guess some sort of program wouldn’t even be too complex just a basic function. But it assumes all hours have equal quality so it’s unlikely. I’m guessing they probably just send out secondaries in tiers.

from amcas import application, send_secondary

def secondary_selection(ec_list):
for ec in ec_list:
if ec.category == “community service” and ec.hours >= 150:
send_secondary()
else:
return False

Did people put anything in the additional information section? I feel like they already hit on most of the major things that might go in there, like diversity (I incorporated that into the cultural one) or a "Why Rush?" one. I'm likely going to leave it blank unless there's a consensus that something belongs in there.

just adding info and commenting for updates on II. OOS (but indiana) / amcas was verified before apps were sent to schools so it was sent 6/25, got a secondary invite 7/7 and completion email 7/12!

just adding info and commenting for updates on II. OOS (but indiana) / amcas was verified before apps were sent to schools so it was sent 6/25, got a secondary invite 7/7 and completion email 7/12!
I see that you posted in multiple threads.
There is a button at the top of the thread called “Watch.” You can even select to receive the email notifications when someone posts something.
Then under Forums you can find all your watches threads and the ones with new posts will be in bold.
Hope this helps!

I see that you posted in multiple threads.
There is a button at the top of the thread called “Watch.” You can even select to receive the email notifications when someone posts something.
Then under Forums you can find all your watches threads and the ones with new posts will be in bold.
Hope this helps!
sweet thank you!!

Has anyone not received a secondary yet?