2021-2022 Rutgers, New Jersey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Morningnight for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Rutgers, New Jersey Secondary Essay Prompts:
  1. We are committed to an environment which fosters collaboration, humanism, equity and social justice. With this in mind, how will you contribute to the NJMS community? (1500 character limit)
  2. We seek students who are self-aware, resilient and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you’ve experienced and how you resolved it. Please include insight on what you learned about yourself as a result: (1500 character limit)
  3. If you will not be a full time student between June 2021-August 2022, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity: (1500 character limit)
  4. If you chose to pursue one or more growth years prior to applying to medical school, please share insight on your decision: (1500 character limit)
  5. If you are a re-applicant, please share what you have done to enhance your candidacy and re-application? (1500 character limit)
  6. Please elaborate on challenges not thoroughly addressed anywhere else in your application (Please feel free to address any or all of the following if applicable: impact of COVID, institutional actions, academics, MCAT, personal difficulties, etc.): (1500 character limit)
  7. Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy: (1500 character limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please post if any of the ED applicants got the interview invite.

Reactions: 1 user
Did any ED applicants get the secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received. MD/PhD applicant. Oddly enough my application hasn't been verified at all which means they must be sending out some secondaries solely based on the email list from AMCAS.

Secondary received. MD/PhD applicant. Oddly enough my application hasn't been verified at all which means they must be sending out some secondaries solely based on the email list from AMCAS.
Could you post the prompts please?

MD only applicant. Secondary essay prompts as follows @wysdoc

1. We are committed to an environment which fosters collaboration, humanism, equity and social justice. With this in mind, how will you contribute to the NJMS community? (1500 character limit)
  2. We seek students who are self-aware, resilient and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you’ve experienced and how you resolved it. Please include insight on what you learned about yourself as a result: (1500 character limit)
  3. If you will not be a full time student between June 2021-August 2022, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity: (1500 character limit)
  4. If you chose to pursue one or more growth years prior to applying to medical school, please share insight on your decision: (1500 character limit)
  5. If you are a re-applicant, please share what you have done to enhance your candidacy and re-application? (1500 character limit)
  6. Please elaborate on challenges not thoroughly addressed anywhere else in your application (Please feel free to address any or all of the following if applicable: impact of COVID, institutional actions, academics, MCAT, personal difficulties, etc.): (1500 character limit)
  7. Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy: (1500 character limit)

• Care
Do you think we should use the first question as more of a diversity essay or by demonstrating examples of how we've committed ourselves to equity and social justice (for example, through my AmeriCorps service)?

I feel like a lot of my answers to the other questions relate to health disparities/community health/equity in healthcare because that's my focus, but I want to make sure I answer the question they're actually asking.

Does anyone else's uploaded picture look like they've been pixelated?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, sorry for the confusion! I was wondering if anyone got interview invites yet
I am an ED candidate, was accepted yesterday. Interviewed last week in June.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I'm confused by this question: If you chose to pursue one or more growth years prior to applying to medical school, please share insight on your decision:

If I'm applying right after graduating college, but pursing one gap year before attending medical school, does that count as a growth year prior to applying, as referenced by the question?

I'm confused by this question: If you chose to pursue one or more growth years prior to applying to medical school, please share insight on your decision:

If I'm applying right after graduating college, but pursing one gap year before attending medical school, does that count as a growth year prior to applying, as referenced by the question?
I am also confused and came on here hoping someone wold have an answer. Ugh

I don't think so. I think this question is referring to the situation where you decided to strengthen your application after undergrad BEFORE you decided to apply to medical schools, such as getting a master's degree, pursuing research, work or volunteer experiences, etc. for a year or more, and only then apply.

You can also always email admissions to make sure.

I answered this question by just discussing what I have been doing since I graduated undergrad until applying now. I left what I will be doing this year for the question "what you will be doing between July 2021 - August 2022."

!!! Attention !!! I recieved an answer in reference to this question: "If you chose to pursue one or more growth years prior to applying to medical school, please share insight on your decision:"

So I described my situation, basically the typical "one gap year before med school, meaning I just graduated like a month ago" and he said this:

Thank you for the email. We will look into clarifying this question a bit more.
The short answer is yes, this question applies to you.
Sincerely,
Dean Rivero

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
!!! Attention !!! I recieved an answer in reference to this question: "If you chose to pursue one or more growth years prior to applying to medical school, please share insight on your decision:"

So I described my situation, basically the typical "one gap year before med school, meaning I just graduated like a month ago" and he said this:

Thank you for the email. We will look into clarifying this question a bit more.
The short answer is yes, this question applies to you.
Sincerely,
Dean Rivero
thanks homie

I dont know if any of my activities count as social justice. The social justice prompts typically scare me but I think its because I dont understand what counts for it.

Can I treat prompt number 1 as a diversity essay?

hi guys, hope you are doing well. I noticed there are a couple questions in the demographic section in the secondary.
1. FOR NON-NJ RESIDENTS: If you are not a NJ resident (as indicated by state of legal residence on your AMCAS application), please share any connections you may have to NJ:
2. How do you self-identify culturally?
3. Please share any other descriptors or information you consider important to your identity:

I'm wondering if there are word limit to these questions. Should we answer them in details?

hi guys, hope you are doing well. I noticed there are a couple questions in the demographic section in the secondary.
1. FOR NON-NJ RESIDENTS: If you are not a NJ resident (as indicated by state of legal residence on your AMCAS application), please share any connections you may have to NJ:
2. How do you self-identify culturally?
3. Please share any other descriptors or information you consider important to your identity:

I'm wondering if there are word limit to these questions. Should we answer them in details?
I didn't answer them in detail, bc the box was so small

Has there been any movement in the cycle with ED and RD lately?

Edit: Received an interview invite 7/20 ED

Last edited:
Is the last prompt required? (additional info question) I know its generally recommended to answer the optional essays, but I don't really think there's anything else that I haven't mentioned elsewhere in my application. Unless I used that space as a "Why us?" prompt.

I’m a first time NJMS and allopathic applicant but have applied to DO schools before. Am I supposed to answer the reapplicant question?

Is the last prompt required? (additional info question) I know its generally recommended to answer the optional essays, but I don't really think there's anything else that I haven't mentioned elsewhere in my application. Unless I used that space as a "Why us?" prompt.
You can still submit without answering the last one so I’d assume it’s optional. ED already has a why us type question so I’m probably leaving it blank.

Got the A! Literally just posted about how I was still waiting to hear back lol

Reactions: 3 users
As a reapplicant, I feel like questions 3-5 are asking the same exact thing. anyone else?

Does anyone know how NJMS looks at CASPER?
I’d assume they put a little more weight on it cause it’s a traditional interview. I know rwjms didn’t care but they’re mmi

Has anyone gotten deferred to RD from ED? How long does it usually take??

Has anyone gotten deferred to RD from ED? How long does it usually take??
Did you already interview? If not probably within a day or two. Idk about post interview though.