2021-2022 Rutgers, RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @RZRZ for sharing this year's prompts!

2021-2022 Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Secondary Essay Prompts

1. More than a year after the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, what do you believe are major needs in health care and how have your expectations for your role as a doctor changed? (250 words)

2. Discuss a time you tried to right a perceived wrong, felt moved to speak up for someone, or took a stand against a situation you felt was unjust. (250 words)

(No word limit)
3. Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc.

4. If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide information to explain this time by providing a bulleted list of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year.

5. If you would like, feel free to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/research/volunteering or employment plans.

6. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).

7. Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are RWJ and NJMS completely separate schools or are they affiliated with each other because they fall under the umbrella of Rutgers?

I know there are separate apps and everything, I'm just wondering because my mom got her MD from UMDNJ Newark (now NJMS) back when it was not part of Rutgers.

The RWJ secondary asks about connections to RWJ or Rutgers University so I'm wondering if I should include the fact that my mom went to UMDNJ or if that'll look like I got RWJ and NJMS confused.

I think you're fine. UMDNJ was not part of Rutgers then, but is now, so that's a connection. Are you a NJ resident now? If so, nobody is going to think you don't know the difference.

For the record, they are totally different schools that are both part of Rutgers, if that makes sense. Kind of like the business school is also a totally separate school that is part of Rutgers. It just so happens that they are both med schools. This is due to the fact that UMDNJ was separate prior to the takeover, and remained separate afterwards.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could you post the prompts please?
@wysdoc

More than a year after the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, what do you believe are major needs in health care and how have your expectations for your role as a doctor changed? (250 words)

Discuss a time you tried to right a perceived wrong, felt moved to speak up for someone, or took a stand against a situation you felt was unjust. (250 words)

No word limit:

Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc.

If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide information to explain this time by providing a bulleted list of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year.

If you would like, feel free to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/research/volunteering or employment plans.

If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).

Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for that. Is there a prompt talking about pursuing primary care?

Is there any place on the secondary to explain your connection to the school? I believe there was something like that for last cycle and was really banking off of that

Is there any place on the secondary to explain your connection to the school? I believe there was something like that for last cycle and was really banking off of that
Yes, there is a question about your connection to NJ and a place to explain. I bet that would be a good place to talk about your connection with the school

How are you guys going about answering the two questions about employment? Does length matter for those, or would it be better to keep it simple and to the point? Especially for the bullet one, does that one not even need an explanation?

How are you guys going about answering the two questions about employment? Does length matter for those, or would it be better to keep it simple and to the point? Especially for the bullet one, does that one not even need an explanation?
I am trying to keep mine short and simple. Only providing more explanation if it wasn't covered in the primary application.

is anyone's casper also marked as not received?

For the question about science grades, should we list courses that are a B- as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea how much RWJMS factors in casper? I took it on 6/17 and its already been submitted to my casper schools but I'm not that confident on how I did (find out in 2 more weeks). Would hate to be rejected for interviews b/c of this component (as if the MCAT wasn't brutal enough...)

Hey yall- I'm having trouble with the question about righting a perceived wrong.
I'm thinking about a time when I went with a friend to Title IX to support her, but I feel like I didn't do anything to stand against the situation. How is everyone going about this question?

Hey yall- I'm having trouble with the question about righting a perceived wrong.
I'm thinking about a time when I went with a friend to Title IX to support her, but I feel like I didn't do anything to stand against the situation. How is everyone going about this question?
I am also struggling with this question! I'm thinking about going about it from a mistake I made and how I tried to right it.

Just marked complete! My Casper wasn't received for a bit, submitted on June 29.

are you guys answering the optional last question? if so, how?

How long did it take for you guys to receive the secondary? My app was just verified yesterday.

My application fee was waived for some reason, although I didn't get FAP. Did this happen to any other NJ residents? is this a test to my integrity?

Did anyone else get the email with the header "RWJMS: Secondary invitation with caveat regarding thresholds" ?

????? What does the body of the e-mail say?
Thank you for submitting your application to Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School!

Our admissions committee has a policy to screen applications that satisfy specific academic requirements: 1) a cumulative undergraduate GPA at 3.0 as calculated by AMCAS and 2) an MCAT score at 498 or higher with subsection scores of 123 or higher in all sections. We will screen applicants with a cumulative GPA of 2.9, if their science graduate work is present and strong.

If you wish to move forward and opt to complete the application, you must respond to our secondary (essay) questions through the portal and you must take the CASPer™ Test (CASPer). We are not requiring the CASPer Snapshot nor Duet. Please note that we will not screen your application until receipt of this score and you are encouraged to sit for the test early in the cycle. The last date for CASPer™ is in January, but we encourage you to register for a much earlier date.

RWJMS participates in the AMCAS Letters Program. If you have not already done so, please forward to AMCAS either a Pre-Medical Advisory Committee recommendation, or three letters of recommendation. You may submit up to 10 letters. It is, of course, to your advantage to have the recommendation(s) submitted as quickly as possible. Please be advised that it is your responsibility to be sure they are received no later than December 15, 2021. Also note that we require your MCAT scores be no more than three years old from the start of the cycle. Please arrange to retake the examination if necessary.

You may submit updates including grades within the application portal. We will accept updates to applications until January 15, 2022.

Our school offers a variety of dual degree programs: M.D./Ph.D., M.D./M.P.H., M.D./M.B.A., MD/JD, and MD/M.S. in Clinical and Translational Science. If you applied as an MD/PhD student via AMCAS that program requires no additional information. The other programs have application processes that are initiated after acceptance to the medical school.

You must submit the secondary application, the required $80 application fee (unless you have been granted an AMCAS fee waiver) to us, have letters of recommendation through the AMCAS letters program, have a valid MCAT score, and have CASPer™ submitted to us for your application to be screened. The fee may be submitted via credit card through the online portal where you submit your secondary.

In addition, we want to inform you that as a condition for admission and matriculation to Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, accepted students will be required to obtain a criminal background check. As a state supported institution, we are committed to providing opportunities to state residents who have been financially and educationally disadvantaged. Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School is committed to complying with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

If your application passes the initial screening and review, you will be invited to interview. Our interview period begins in late summer and continues through mid-March. The Admissions Committee has voted to conduct virtual interviews this cycle. You will be asked to complete the Robert Wood Johnson Medical school Multiple Mini-Interview (MMI) over zoom with members of the Admissions Committee.

Our MMI is central to our interview process and will consist of seven "stations" or encounters which last seven minutes each. Please refer to our webesite for additional information. Interview

To start your secondary application, please click here. You will enter your AMCAS ID, and will receive an email to set your password and complete your account creation. You will then be able to log in to the secondary application portal to begin your application.

If you wish to discuss the status of your application, please don't hesitate to e-mail us at [email protected].

We wish you all the best in this application cycle.

Thank you for submitting your application to Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School!

Our admissions committee has a policy to screen applications that satisfy specific academic requirements: 1) a cumulative undergraduate GPA at 3.0 as calculated by AMCAS and 2) an MCAT score at 498 or higher with subsection scores of 123 or higher in all sections. We will screen applicants with a cumulative GPA of 2.9, if their science graduate work is present and strong.

If you wish to move forward and opt to complete the application, you must respond to our secondary (essay) questions through the portal and you must take the CASPer™ Test (CASPer). We are not requiring the CASPer Snapshot nor Duet. Please note that we will not screen your application until receipt of this score and you are encouraged to sit for the test early in the cycle. The last date for CASPer™ is in January, but we encourage you to register for a much earlier date.

RWJMS participates in the AMCAS Letters Program. If you have not already done so, please forward to AMCAS either a Pre-Medical Advisory Committee recommendation, or three letters of recommendation. You may submit up to 10 letters. It is, of course, to your advantage to have the recommendation(s) submitted as quickly as possible. Please be advised that it is your responsibility to be sure they are received no later than December 15, 2021. Also note that we require your MCAT scores be no more than three years old from the start of the cycle. Please arrange to retake the examination if necessary.

You may submit updates including grades within the application portal. We will accept updates to applications until January 15, 2022.

Our school offers a variety of dual degree programs: M.D./Ph.D., M.D./M.P.H., M.D./M.B.A., MD/JD, and MD/M.S. in Clinical and Translational Science. If you applied as an MD/PhD student via AMCAS that program requires no additional information. The other programs have application processes that are initiated after acceptance to the medical school.

You must submit the secondary application, the required $80 application fee (unless you have been granted an AMCAS fee waiver) to us, have letters of recommendation through the AMCAS letters program, have a valid MCAT score, and have CASPer™ submitted to us for your application to be screened. The fee may be submitted via credit card through the online portal where you submit your secondary.

In addition, we want to inform you that as a condition for admission and matriculation to Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, accepted students will be required to obtain a criminal background check. As a state supported institution, we are committed to providing opportunities to state residents who have been financially and educationally disadvantaged. Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School is committed to complying with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

If your application passes the initial screening and review, you will be invited to interview. Our interview period begins in late summer and continues through mid-March. The Admissions Committee has voted to conduct virtual interviews this cycle. You will be asked to complete the Robert Wood Johnson Medical school Multiple Mini-Interview (MMI) over zoom with members of the Admissions Committee.

Our MMI is central to our interview process and will consist of seven "stations" or encounters which last seven minutes each. Please refer to our webesite for additional information. Interview

To start your secondary application, please click here. You will enter your AMCAS ID, and will receive an email to set your password and complete your account creation. You will then be able to log in to the secondary application portal to begin your application.

If you wish to discuss the status of your application, please don't hesitate to e-mail us at [email protected].

So idk if this was just sent to a specific pool of ppl ( I have lower stats) or to everyone?

So idk if this was just sent to a specific pool of ppl ( I have lower stats) or to everyone?
Your instincts are correct. Everyone did not receive that. For the record, everything is the same except the second paragraph. Based on your lower stats, they are kind of asking you to make sure you really want to apply, since you are apparently very close to their cutoff. I'll assume your cGPA is somewhere between 2.9 and 3.0, correct?

I went back and looked at your thread from last year about applying this cycle. I see you decided to go ahead anyway. Are you including DO?

Your instincts are correct. Everyone did not receive that. For the record, everything is the same except the second paragraph. Based on your lower stats, they are kind of asking you to make sure you really want to apply, since you are apparently very close to their cutoff. I'll assume your cGPA is somewhere between 2.9 and 3.0, correct?

I went back and looked at your thread from last year about applying this cycle. I see you decided to go ahead anyway. Are you including DO?
Yes, I am applying to both DO/MD. My cGPA is a 3.2 right now.

Yes, I am applying to both DO/MD. My cGPA is a 3.2 right now.
Even though they screen at 3.0, their 10%-ile of accepted applicants is 3.37. They are actually being nice and giving you a warning before you send them $80. If you feel the need, definitely take your shot. You know it's an uphill battle based on the advice you received last year. At least RWJ is doing the ethical thing and not just taking your money.

Bottom line, you are very close to their screening cutoff and are well below their 10%-ile. Unless there is some spectacular mitigation in the rest of your application, your submission will be a donation, and that e-mail was a heads-up. Good luck!!

Last edited:
i just wanted to add about casper. i submitted my app a couple weeks ago and my casper was listed as sent to schools, but not showing at RWJ turns out i had the wrong freaking rutgers selected 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃. so might want to double check that. super bummer.

Hey!
Has anyone else had any issues with the portal? I set my password then couldn't get into my account right after

That is weird cuz I have low stats (s3.2/c3.4 and 508 mcat with a 123 on cars). I did not receive this email.

II! OOS w/ strong ties, 3.3c, 3.1s, 508 MCAT

II! OOS w/ strong ties, 3.3c, 3.1s, 508 MCAT
Congratulations!! How long did it take them to send you the interview email? can you post your timeline?

Congratulations!! How long did it take them to send you the interview email? can you post your timeline?
6/15 - AMCAS submitted
6/16 - AMCAS verified
6/28 - secondary received
6/29 - secondary complete
7/28 - II

Verified in one day bc I applied ED

My application fee was waived for some reason, although I didn't get FAP. Did this happen to any other NJ residents? is this a test to my integrity?
Hi,

Did you ever get an explanation for this? The same thing happened to me!

Thanks!
Natalia

II just now!!! IS, Complete 7/07, LM: 75.2.

Reactions: 3 users
My first II! <3 IS, complete 07/08, LM: 70

Reactions: 3 users
Just as a kind request: when you state that you got an II, could you let us know if you were RD or ED? It really helps for applicants who are stressed and are constantly comparing themselves to the rest of the pool.

Reactions: 2 users