2021-2022 Saint Louis University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @CantFindMeNowAdcoms for sharing the secondary prompts!

2021-2022 Saint Louis University Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. Will you be a full-time student for the 2021 - 2022 academic year? If no, please describe your current activities... (max 1,000 characters)

2. Were there any significant disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? If you wish, you may also add any comment you desire regarding access to letters of recommendation or MCAT challenges you encountered. (max 1,000 characters)

3. What does social justice mean to you? (max 1,000 characters)

4. Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (max 1,000 characters)

5. Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?
(Yes or No - if yes, max 1,000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received, OOS.

@wysdoc

Questions:
  • Will you be a full-time student for the 2021 - 2022 academic year? If no, please describe your current activities... (max 1,000 characters)
  • Were there any significant disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? If you wish, you may also add any comment you desire regarding access to letters of recommendation or MCAT challenges you encountered. (max 1,000 characters)
  • What does social justice mean to you? (max 1,000 characters)
  • Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (max 1,000 characters)
  • Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? (Yes or No - if yes, max 1,000 characters)
EDIT: Edited Question #1... had "if yes" instead of "if no". Sorry! An essay is only due if you are not a full-time student for 2021-2022.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like SLU only has one secondary: "Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? limit 10000 characters"

Does anyone know how SLU generally views this question? Is it truly optional? I don't have any particularly unique connections or experiences to share here that weren't in my primary. Do they look favorably on turning it into a COVID/diversity/why us generic essay, or should I just leave it blank?

On my secondary application, there were several other essay-based questions above the Course Input section. I've posted them above.

EDIT: I realize now that you posted before the 6/25/21 AMCAS transmission date.

Secondary received, OOS.

@wysdoc

Questions:
  • Will you be a full-time student for the 2021 - 2022 academic year? If no, please describe your current activities... (max 1,000 characters)
  • Were there any significant disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? If you wish, you may also add any comment you desire regarding access to letters of recommendation or MCAT challenges you encountered. (max 1,000 characters)
  • What does social justice mean to you? (max 1,000 characters)
  • Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (max 1,000 characters)
  • Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? (Yes or No - if yes, max 1,000 characters)
EDIT: Edited Question #1... had "if yes" instead of "if no". Sorry! An essay is only due if you are not a full-time student for 2021-2022.

Secondary received, OOS
+3 OOS

Reactions: 1 user
Oof, the last 2 mandatory questions are quite difficult.

Oof, the last 2 mandatory questions are quite difficult.
I thought so initially as well, but I actually think they don't look too bad now. They're 1,000 character limit, which is only like a paragraph, so they can probably be fairly basic.

hi guys, I'm having trouble filling out the secondary app for the required courses and was wondering if anyone had any advice!

my undergrad university was quarter system but the required hours listed on the secondary are in semester system hours. (i.e. 1 biology course must be 4 semester hours). they also only give the option to put 2 courses for each requirement, but i would need to list 3 courses to fulfill the requirements. does anyone know how I should list these courses on the secondary portal?

hi guys, I'm having trouble filling out the secondary app for the required courses and was wondering if anyone had any advice!

my undergrad university was quarter system but the required hours listed on the secondary are in semester system hours. (i.e. 1 biology course must be 4 semester hours). they also only give the option to put 2 courses for each requirement, but i would need to list 3 courses to fulfill the requirements. does anyone know how I should list these courses on the secondary portal?
I had the same issue. I would reach out to admissions to verify but I am planning on including some coursework together. For example, Organic Chemistry I (4 units) for one entry and Organic Chemistry II + Organic Chemistry Laboratory (8 units) for the other entry. Do you know if we need to convert to semester units ourselves?

Reactions: 1 users
I had the same issue. I would reach out to admissions to verify but I am planning on including some coursework together. For example, Organic Chemistry I (4 units) for one entry and Organic Chemistry II + Organic Chemistry Laboratory (8 units) for the other entry. Do you know if we need to convert to semester units ourselves?
I think so, but if you download your amcas app, all your verified courses will be converted into semester units for you!

Received and submitted! Several of my friends have had success here, so I'm excited and hoping the best for all of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the same thing for gen bio and orgo. I input one 3 credit class for each, then input the 2nd 3 credit class and the lab (2 credits) in the next boxes.

For people who used AP bio, what are you putting for your second bio class...

AP bio appears on my transcript, but it looks like we aren't supposed to use that. Would listing intro biochemistry work here, I actually don't have a single other course with a BIO XXX code on it, just a bunch of biochem classes

Also, do we need to 4 credit hours in both semesters of all these classes? For example, I'm listing intro ochem + lab together for 5 credits, and then intermediate ochem alone for 3. This is 8 total credits, which matches the listed requirements, but it shows (4 hours) next to each course

Never received a 'complete' email but the portal finally changed, so I'd recommend checking for anyone who was waiting

did you guys write a "why us" in the "Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee" question?? I pre-wrote a whole ass essay for this section bc last year it was 10,000 characters and I have no idea what to do with it now

did you guys write a "why us" in the "Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee" question?? I pre-wrote a whole ass essay for this section bc last year it was 10,000 characters and I have no idea what to do with it now
I pre-wrote a "why us" essay and worked hard to slim it down to 1,000 characters. Not sure how valuable it is at 1,000 characters though.

Is everyone doing a why us essay for that section??

I actually said I didn't have anything else to say. We'll see how that works out for me but I feel like unsolicited "Why Us?" essays can be annoying to readers.

Reactions: 2 users
I actually said I didn't have anything else to say. We'll see how that works out for me but I feel like unsolicited "Why Us?" essays can be annoying to readers.
+1 left it blank

I have a friend who got in last cycle and did a why us. So it probably won’t hurt you if you decide to add it!

Reactions: 3 users
Any idea of how to fill out the course pre-requisite table for quarter system students? All my courses are 3.30 semester hours, so individually none of my courses satisfy the 4 semester hours, but in aggregate they more than fulfill the requirements

Any idea of how to fill out the course pre-requisite table for quarter system students? All my courses are 3.30 semester hours, so individually none of my courses satisfy the 4 semester hours, but in aggregate they more than fulfill the requirements
I’m in the same boat and I emailed admissions. They said I can put more than one course per row

Good luck here everybody! Just commenting to get notifications about the thread lol

Just to be clear, are we not allowed to use AP course substitutions for their general requirements? I am not sure I fulfill their 6 hr English requirement without AP classes - they say we can use writing intensive humanities courses as a substitute for an English class. Would sociology work for this?

Just to be clear, are we not allowed to use AP course substitutions for their general requirements? I am not sure I fulfill their 6 hr English requirement without AP classes - they say we can use writing intensive humanities courses as a substitute for an English class. Would sociology work for this?

Ya I interpreted it as us not being able to use AP credit for English. I’m not sure if sociology could work, but on the bright side, it’ll work for your 18 other humanities/behavioral science credit hours for sure lol

what does this mean? lol i’m confused what is a retroactive complete? when did u guys submit?
I submitted 06/25 and was complete on the portal on 06/27. They just sent me an email saying that I'm complete and under review, and that this email was delayed in being sent out.

Is this school partial to in state applicants or do they have no preference?

My incoming II senses are tingling for this school but I’ve been wrong before…

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
does anyone know if it is possible to update the secondary? I realized I had a family member who graduated from here that I wanted to add

I am looking at a few Jesuit medical schools like this one, but I am not a fan of incorporating spiritual components in a medical school curriculum. While it’s important, I feel like it’s something that is gained via experience as a physician. I am also Asian with Hindu religion but honestly not religious as it doesn’t add anything to my identity.

So with this information, is The culture and curriculum of a Jesuit medical school a good fit or should I pass when i apply?

I am looking at a few Jesuit medical schools like this one, but I am not a fan of incorporating spiritual components in a medical school curriculum. While it’s important, I feel like it’s something that is gained via experience as a physician. I am also Asian with Hindu religion but honestly not religious as it doesn’t add anything to my identity.

So with this information, is The culture and curriculum of a Jesuit medical school a good fit or should I pass when i apply?
I am also Asian, and I call most of the Jesuit medical school, and ask them about the religion part, most of them seem couldn’t care less……

I am also Asian, and I call most of the Jesuit medical school, and ask them about the religion part, most of them seem couldn’t care less……
I attend a Jesuit institution as an undergraduate and they do not shove religion down our throats and that is coming from a non-religious person. The Jesuit values are principles/morals that this specific group from the Catholic church endorses. The bottom line is that Jesuit institutions require their students to think holistically and to care for the whole person, emphasizing care for the individual. This is not so much a religious component but rather standards that the schools require their students to strive to perpetuate. Hope this helps.

• Care
I didn't write why us, instead I summarize my immigration process, the challenges I face, and the lessons I learn. Just a little bit about "myself" that is not mentioned in my personal statement at all. You can do "Why us", or write something special about yourself, something fun that may not be medically related, is just my opinion :)

Last edited: