2021-2022 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @eleanorroosevelt for sharing this year's essay prompts!

2021-2022 Stony Brook Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation? (If no, you have 500 words)

2. Describe an obstacle you've overcome and how it defined you (500 words)

3. Respond to one (500 words):
(A) Please describe how you, as a future physician, plan to address the social determinants of health.
--OR--
(B) What, in your opinion, is the role of a physician in addressing systemic racism and societal injustices?

**********************************************************************************************
MSTP applicants, also answer this question:

Please describe the basic and/or clinical research fields that you think you might like to explore and/or develop expertise in during your MSTP training. To the extent that you have defined potential specific future clinical interests, please describe the type(s) of medicine that you might be interested in pursuing once you have completed the MSTP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I received OOS secondary Friday.

Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation? (If no, you have 500 words)

Describe an obstacle you've overcome and how it defined you (500 words)

Respond to one (500 words): Please describe how you, as a future physician, plan to address the social determinants of health. OR What, in your opinion, is the role of a physician in addressing systemic racism and societal injustices?

@wysdoc

Reactions: 2 users
Saw someone got this secondary, didn't get it and was verified day one. Should I be concerned?

Members don't see this ad :)
Saw someone got this secondary, didn't get it and was verified day one. Should I be concerned?
Might be an ED applicant? Not sure, but sitting in the same boat as you. Minus the weekend it's just Day 2, so not stressing too much about it yet!

Might be an ED applicant? Not sure, but sitting in the same boat as you. Minus the weekend it's just Day 2, so not stressing too much about it yet!
I'm not an ED applicant. Not sure why I got it earlier tbh

Does anyone have their Casper score marked true in the portal? I took mine a while ago and it's not received....

Anyone have their LORs not-received on the Status page, even though they submitted all of them?

Does anyone have their Casper score marked true in the portal? I took mine a while ago and it's not received....
Anyone have their LORs not-received on the Status page, even though they submitted all of them?
Seems to me like a waiting game for admissions to update those on the portal. I have schools where I'm marked received and others where I'm marked not received, yet LORs and Casper score all sent on the same day!

If YES, please tell us about your proudest accomplishment to date
^ Does anyone know if this has to be an educational accomplishment?

Members don't see this ad :)
It says nothing is received for me, not even my MCAT scores, so idek what's going on

For the "Please describe how you, as a future physician, plan to address the social determinants of health", are you guys just talking about general qualities you hope to have as a physician, like cultural competency ect., or specific programs / things you want to do??

Reactions: 1 users
For the "Please describe how you, as a future physician, plan to address the social determinants of health", are you guys just talking about general qualities you hope to have as a physician, like cultural competency ect., or specific programs / things you want to do??
I think the more specific you can be, the better. I'm starting off talking about general qualities and learning experiences I'd like to have and then going into specific actions I'd take as a practicing clinician.

Hey nerds, I'm a current M3 here part of the 3 year MD program. I don't check SDN often but happy to help if you folks have questions going forward about interviews, the school, etc.

Applying to med school sucks, but you got this! Cheers

@wysdoc

Additional MSTP prompt is

"Please describe the basic and/or clinical research fields that you think you might like to explore and/or develop expertise in during your MSTP training. To the extent that you have defined potential specific future clinical interests, please describe the type(s) of medicine that you might be interested in pursuing once you have completed the MSTP."

What does this mean for submitting LORs? I found this on their website:

"...letters from two instructors, one of whom is in a science field, should be submitted. No other letters are solicited. However, the Committee on Admissions (COA) also welcomes letters from others who may provide important information about the candidate.

Does this mean we can add more than 2 letters if it adds to our app? Or will they get annoyed?

What does this mean for submitting LORs? I found this on their website:

"...letters from two instructors, one of whom is in a science field, should be submitted. No other letters are solicited. However, the Committee on Admissions (COA) also welcomes letters from others who may provide important information about the candidate.

Does this mean we can add more than 2 letters if it adds to our app? Or will they get annoyed?
I think solicited means they don't ask for/require any others, but you can send more if you think they are important letters. I interviewed here last year and sent more letters than the required 2.

When Stony Brook asks:
Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?
How would they consider a gap year for a Masters degree? I think that some schools consider college synonymous to undergrad, but this specifically asks for education, so would the answer for me be "Yes"?

When Stony Brook asks:

How would they consider a gap year for a Masters degree? I think that some schools consider college synonymous to undergrad, but this specifically asks for education, so would the answer for me be "Yes"?
I have the same question! I'm also pursuing a Master's degree and I'm not sure what to put for questions like this (whether this is part of "gap year" or if it's continuous education)

anyone else complete in June and they are still waiting for casper score? I took casper in May and its gotten to every other school

anyone else complete in June and they are still waiting for casper score? I took casper in May and its gotten to every other school
I looked back at my receipt, and it turns out I did not have Stony Brook as a recipient. Do you have them as one of your recipients?

do you have to have your CASPER score in order to move forward with the review?... i thought most school dont need the score to be marked as complete..

do you have to have your CASPER score in order to move forward with the review?... i thought most school dont need the score to be marked as complete..
I might be wrong but I believe most schools do need CASPER to be complete

Does anyone know if Stony Brook offers any merit scholarships?
They don't list anything on their website.

Honestly it might be preferred that it is non-academic.
Normally I would agree, but being required to answer this prompt is contingent on you saying that you've been continuously enrolled in school— which in a way kind of implies they want academic accomplishments. Thoughts?

Normally I would agree, but being required to answer this prompt is contingent on you saying that you've been continuously enrolled in school— which in a way kind of implies they want academic accomplishments. Thoughts?
I think it is just a separate prompt for students who are not taking a gap year to answer rather than it being related to academics

Hey nerds, I'm a current M3 here part of the 3 year MD program. I don't check SDN often but happy to help if you folks have questions going forward about interviews, the school, etc.

Applying to med school sucks, but you got this! Cheers

Hi! PM'ed you.

anyone got interview invites?

Ya last night... in my dreams

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Just got an invite!!!! IS, LM: 70, ORM but with Low SES and disadvantaged status, complete on 7/1

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Yo im shookkkkk. im legit at work right now just in complete SHOCKKKK
thank you!!!! :') you next !
we gonna be medical students together at SBU keep it up king

I'm URM OOS complete on the 17th with LM of 73 but i dont think ill get an interview for a while since I'm OOS.

• Care
we gonna be medical students together at SBU keep it up king

I'm URM OOS complete on the 17th with LM of 73 but i dont think ill get an interview for a while since I'm OOS.
Yessirrrr. You're gonna be next I just know it!!! Keep me updated and best of luck :)))

So do New York schools interview IS first or am I just making that up?

Me rn :cryi:

1628813490409.png

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users