2021-2022 Texas Tech, El Paso (Foster)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Malenkaya for sharing the essay prompts!

2021-2022 Texas Tech El Paso Secondary Essay Prompts

1. The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and region.” Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

2. The Foster SOM student honor code states “In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities.” Please describe past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

3. Please describe any unique personal experiences or disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. (300 words or less)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just received the secondary prompts! The prompts this year are:

The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and region.” Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

The Foster SOM student honor code states “In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities.” Please describe past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

Please describe any unique personal experiences or disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. (300 words or less)

Reactions: 2 users
Just received the secondary prompts! The prompts this year are:

The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and region.” Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

The Foster SOM student honor code states “In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities.” Please describe past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

Please describe any unique personal experiences or disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. (300 words or less)
I found it a little funny that it took them 150 words to state question #2 and you get 300 words to answer it :)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a screen for secondaries? El Paso is the only school from which I did not receive a secondary.

Is there a screen for secondaries? El Paso is the only school from which I did not receive a secondary.
I didn't get their secondary until a week after my primary app was already transmitted to them so I think they just take a little while

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else having trouble viewing their "status?" Every time I click the status tab, the page does not load and says go back to pervious page.

Is anyone else having trouble viewing their "status?" Every time I click the status tab, the page does not load and says go back to pervious page.
Don’t worry, at the beginning of the new application cycle they are usually re-setting their portals so the applicants from last year will be removed and the new applicants will be in the system for this year. It usually causes some down time.

For me the portal is finally popping up, but does anyone else have their CASPer scores missing? Mine have been properly delivered to all other TX schools.

Is question 3 an optional question or should you answer it even if you do not have something significant to talk about?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my secondary a couple days ago, but I notice that on the portal it still says they haven't received my CASPer score. Has anyone else also had this issue?

I submitted my secondary a couple days ago, but I notice that on the portal it still says they haven't received my CASPer score. Has anyone else also had this issue?
I emailed them, and they said they are aware of the issue and are fixing it, but they have still received the score.

@wysdoc I had a question regarding the interviews for this school. So I'm a Texas resident and Texas Tech student as well for context. However, I submitted my secondary just now and noticed that they require CASPer scores to be in before being considered for an interview. I took my CASPer on 6/29, which means the 3 week score release mark falls on 7/20 at the minimum... Does this mean that they won't even look at my secondary until that date and I might possibly get skipped over for the first batch of interviews they typically send out in early July?
This school and UTMB both look over the CASPer results before deciding on interview invitations.
You have a nice early submission of your TMDSAS application, so don't worry if you are not the very first to get an interview.
Interview invitations may start in July but continue for the next 6-7 months.

can someone please explain what #2 on the secondary is asking? Is it basically asking us about a time we've upheld our integrity?

I'm surprised this school hasn't sent out invites already. They usually start early July so by next week there should be some solid action.

oh no lmaoooo i just said that because its mid july and i wanna be updated when someone posts here so i just commented some random hahaha sorry

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Current student here.

First interview date is August 5th and the last date is February 10th.

Good luck to all!

Reactions: 1 user
I see one person on the II google forms data sheet who inputted they received a II from here. The interview is on 8/5, 516 MCAT, with a 4.0
They may be JAMP, remember that JAMP applicants interview first and get an interview at every texas school.

Tick, Tock....
Still Waiting Office Tv GIF by The Office

Reactions: 5 users
Just got an II!

Congrats guys! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?

Does anyone know how they conduct interviews? (MMI, one-on-one, panel). Just got an II today and curious about this. (3.6/3.5, 519, URM, IS) Congrats everyone getting IIs! This process is stressful but collaborating with y'all makes it way easier

Congrats to all of you! Good luck!

Does anyone know how they conduct interviews? (MMI, one-on-one, panel). Just got an II today and curious about this. (3.6/3.5, 519, URM, IS) Congrats everyone getting IIs! This process is stressful but collaborating with y'all makes it way easier
Traditional two 1 on 1 interviews

Received an II today! Submitted secondary late July.

Stats: 504, 3.76/3.77, URM.

Reactions: 4 users
Current MS3, DM or post if y'all got questions

For those who interviewed, did everyone receive a letter thanking them for interviewing? Kind of interesting and unexpected to see.

II received today! Complete 7/17.