2021-2022 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know whether this school cares about ties to the state? I grew up in MD and my parents still live there but I'm an older nontrad and haven't lived in the state in 10+ years. I still visit on holidays though lol

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know whether this school cares about ties to the state? I grew up in MD and my parents still live there but I'm an older nontrad and haven't lived in the state in 10+ years. I still visit on holidays though lol
According to the school’s reps during the AAMC virtual fair yesterday, they have an in-state preference since they are a state-funded public school. The breakout is about 25% OOS, 75% in-state

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS Secondary received around 2pm. It was in my spam folder so its worth checking there, prompts are the same as last year as far as I can tell.

OOS Secondary received around 2pm. It was in my spam folder so its worth checking there, prompts are the same as last year as far as I can tell.
can you post prompts please? Thank you :D

Received OOS. Same questions as last year

5.) Please let us know if you have a specific reason you are interested in attending the University of Maryland School of Medicine, and/or if you have any special ties to our institution.

8.) Please describe and explain below any academic problems which you might have had while in college and/or graduate or professional school. Please include withdrawals, incompletes, poor grades, etc. (If you feel that you have not had any academic problems please state that)

.) If a specific medical school application activity was impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak, please describe the activity, the time period during which it was to take place, and any relevant contact information.

2.) Please explain what you will be doing during the 2021-2022 academic year. If you graduated/will graduate in 2021, what are your plans during this gap year?

0.) Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine(1500c)

21.) Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service.(1500c)

2.) Without limiting the discussion to your own identity, please describe how you envision contributing to the core values of diversity and inclusion at our School of Medicine, and in the medical profession.(1500c)

3.) What does it mean to you to enter into a profession?(1500c)

How are people answering the question "Have there been any gaps in your education from high school to college, while in college, or after college? Please Explain"?

I'm taking a gap year so I guess that would count as a gap in my education "after college" but there is another question to explain gap year plans, so I'm not sure what to include in this first question. Do we think it is sufficient to explain my reasoning for taking a gap year and then explain my activities in the second question? Or do we think this question is specifically for abnormal resume gaps/leave of absences/etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are people answering the question "Have there been any gaps in your education from high school to college, while in college, or after college? Please Explain"?

I'm taking a gap year so I guess that would count as a gap in my education "after college" but there is another question to explain gap year plans, so I'm not sure what to include in this first question. Do we think it is sufficient to explain my reasoning for taking a gap year and then explain my activities in the second question? Or do we think this question is specifically for abnormal resume gaps/leave of absences/etc.?
Is this what they mean? Does anyone know?

When you list your work experience, under "description" are you supposed to just put a job title, or a detailed description? The text box is pretty small and it's throwing me off lol

EDIT: it's a 150 character limit so I'm going with job title

Last edited:
+1 secondary yesterday! It was in my junk mail 😩

Are the IS prompts the same as OOS? I'd imagine they're exactly the same with the exception of "5.) Please let us know if you have a specific reason you are interested in attending the University of Maryland School of Medicine, and/or if you have any special ties to our institution."

Are the IS prompts the same as OOS? I'd imagine they're exactly the same with the exception of "5.) Please let us know if you have a specific reason you are interested in attending the University of Maryland School of Medicine, and/or if you have any special ties to our institution."
theyre all the same including the one on ties

What's the character limit for the first prompt (The "why us" question)?

Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine. (1500 characters)

Does this have to be a volunteer or work experience or can I talk about an experience I went through as a teenager that drove me to be interested in medicine?

This might be a stupid question but does anyone know of any community service, advocacy, free clinics, etc. initiatives at UMSOM? Unfortunately, I am unable to find anything online.

Bumping this question because I'm also still confused!

Bumping this question because I'm also still confused!
I ended up answering the first question just saying there was going to be a gap in my education between undergrad & med school and then used the second question to explain my gap year activities. Not sure if this is really what they wanted but it made sense to me

so the only COVID question asks if any activities were discontinued due to the pandemic: "If a specific medical school application activity was impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak, please describe the activity, the time period during which it was to take place, and any relevant contact information"

Would it be appropriate to explain what activity was cancelled, and then write "but I did XYZ instead to help people during the pandemic"? I know the question didn't ask for that specifically, so I don't want to be annoying haha

so the only COVID question asks if any activities were discontinued due to the pandemic: "If a specific medical school application activity was impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak, please describe the activity, the time period during which it was to take place, and any relevant contact information"

Would it be appropriate to explain what activity was cancelled, and then write "but I did XYZ instead to help people during the pandemic"? I know the question didn't ask for that specifically, so I don't want to be annoying haha
Felt the same way, but that's what I ended up doing. I tried to balance 50/50 what got disrupted & a brief what opportunity arose instead.

For this question, "
11.) Have there been any gaps in your education from high school to college, while in college, or after college?"

If I took gap years, do I answer this question?

For this question, "
11.) Have there been any gaps in your education from high school to college, while in college, or after college?"

If I took gap years, do I answer this question?
I say yes because it's a gap after college, but there's the other question that refers specifically to what you're doing this year if it's a gap year, so you could always just refer them to the other question rather than rewriting if the description would be the same

How are you guys answering the question: What does it mean to be entering a profession?

How are you guys answering the question: What does it mean to be entering a profession?
I tried to be general with any profession and then go specifically into medicine and physicians.

Does anyone know if any interview invitations have been sent? Sorry to stress anyone out!

Is it me or did they add "5.) Please let us know if you have a specific reason you are interested in attending the University of Maryland School of Medicine, and/or if you have any special ties to our institution." I may have just missed it but there was another school that added an essay after opening their secondary so...

Does anyone know if any interview invitations have been sent? Sorry to stress anyone out!
According to the MSAR they should start being sent out on August 16th. Not sure how accurate that part of the MSAR usually is though.

Does anyone know the schools prerequisites? I can’t access the page and have been trying to for days

Does anyone know the schools prerequisites? I can’t access the page

is this the med prerequisites? I was confused, didn’t seem clear
I know that I personally didn’t take everything. Like I took cell bio but not micro, but then I had other electives that filled up to 16 credits. Not sure if that is acceptable or not.

I know that I personally didn’t take everything. Like I took cell bio but not micro, but then I had other electives that filled up to 16 credits. Not sure if that is acceptable or not.
Do we know if physio is for sure required for their med program?

Applied OOS and realized I didn't see Anatomy & Physiology with Laboratory is required :-( Do you think I still may be considered / if its worth reach out to admissions?

Applied OOS and realized I didn't see Anatomy & Physiology with Laboratory is required :-( Do you think I still may be considered / if its worth reach out to admissions?
Im confused, the website linked above and on the secondary does not list Anatomy and phys. Am i just missing it somewhere

This thread is very silent haha.

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone curious, it looks like the first wave of II's went out per the Reddit tracker. Secondary completed 7/15/21, received II today 8/24/21 for 9/15/21. 523/3.98, instate, not URM.

Reactions: 2 users