2021-2022 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Habber22 for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Massachusetts Secondary Essay Prompts: ***(Not exactly the same as last year)***

Q1) We would like to learn how you developed and demonstrated core professionalism competencies that are required of entering medical students. Please respond to the first prompt (#1; Diversity). Then select three of the other six prompts (#2-#7). Each response should be 150-200 words. Use the text box below for your answer. Separate each of your four responses by writing the competency above/before your response (example: Teamwork - All teams have their struggles, but they can be overcome...).
  • 1) UMass Medical School strives to be a diverse academic community mindful of the fact that diversity makes our community stronger and benefits the patients we serve. Share your definition of diversity. Describe an example where you contributed to the diversity of a group, team or class. Connect this to how you will contribute to the diversity of the UMass Medical School community. (Diversity)
  • 2) Describe a time when you have made a decision that was not popular and how you handled this. (Leadership competency)
  • 3) Describe a time when you were on a team that was dysfunctional in some regard. How did you address the situation? (Teamwork)
  • 4) Describe a meaningful interaction you have had with a person whom you have helped at work, school or another activity. (Empathy/Compassion)
  • 5) Have you ever been in the middle of a situation where there was poor communication? What did you do to improve it? (Communication)
  • 6) Describe a time when you have "thought outside the box" to solve a problem. (Inquiry)
  • 7) Describe a time when you suffered a setback. How did you respond to this challenge? (Persistence/Grit)
Q2) Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation. For example, discuss grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, and/or a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. Discuss any impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on your academic, service, extracurricular or employment experiences.If you are reapplying to UMass SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application.(250 word limit)

Q3) If you have participated in UMass SOM or UMass Memorial Health Care, or UMass Medical-Baystate sponsored programs (SEP, Summer Research Program, Worcester Pipeline Collaborative, AHEC, BaccMD, HSPP, Academic Internships, BSEP, Summer Scholars) please describe how these programs helped you decide to apply to UMass SOM. (200 word limit)

Q4) Why did you apply to UMass SOM? (200 word limit)

Q5) If you are currently taking a gap year, in what activities are you engaged? (200 word limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! When was your AMCAS app verified? Mine was verified a couple weeks ago and I'm still waiting on UMass (IS as well)
I was verified June 3rd I believe

Edit: Was actually verified on 5/30

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
IS secondary received just now :) Shout out for the thorough explanation of the portal <3

Would someone kind to post secondary, please?

Would someone kind to post secondary, please?
@wysdoc TLDR: Added a "Why UMASS SOM". Removed the question about greatest strength. Q 1,2,4 require a response.

Q1) We would like to learn how you developed and demonstrated core professionalism competencies that are required of entering medical students. Please respond to the first prompt (#1; Diversity). Then select three of the other six prompts (#2-#7). Each response should be 150-200 words. Use the text box below for your answer. Separate each of your four responses by writing the competency above/before your response (example: Teamwork - All teams have their struggles, but they can be overcome...).
  • 1) UMass Medical School strives to be a diverse academic community mindful of the fact that diversity makes our community stronger and benefits the patients we serve. Share your definition of diversity. Describe an example where you contributed to the diversity of a group, team or class. Connect this to how you will contribute to the diversity of the UMass Medical School community. (Diversity)

• 2) Describe a time when you have made a decision that was not popular and how you handled this. (Leadership competency)

• 3) Describe a time when you were on a team that was dysfunctional in some regard. How did you address the situation? (Teamwork)

• 4) Describe a meaningful interaction you have had with a person whom you have helped at work, school or another activity. (Empathy/Compassion)

• 5) Have you ever been in the middle of a situation where there was poor communication? What did you do to improve it? (Communication)

• 6) Describe a time when you have "thought outside the box" to solve a problem. (Inquiry)

• 7) Describe a time when you suffered a setback. How did you respond to this challenge? (Persistence/Grit)
Q2) Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation. For example, discuss grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, and/or a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. Discuss any impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on your academic, service, extracurricular or employment experiences.If you are reapplying to UMass SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application.(250 word limit)

Q3) If you have participated in UMass SOM or UMass Memorial Health Care, or UMass Medical-Baystate sponsored programs (SEP, Summer Research Program, Worcester Pipeline Collaborative, AHEC, BaccMD, HSPP, Academic Internships, BSEP, Summer Scholars) please describe how these programs helped you decide to apply to UMass SOM. (200 word limit)

Q4) Why did you apply to UMass SOM? (200 word limit)

Q5) If you are currently taking a gap year, in what activities are you engaged? (200 word limit)

Is the portal link not working for anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had trouble with the link earlier. It would bring me to a blank page. I just kept trying occasionally. Maybe try this link (I just copied from my browser): Oracle PeopleSoft Sign-in
I cleared my cookies shortly after posting that and it worked. So a word of advice if anyone else has a similar issue lol

"If your education has not been continuous or if you completed your studies more than one year ago, please attach a curriculum vitae or resume below. This will help us to understand how you have spent your time and/or been employed since graduating from college."

I graduated in May 2020, but following graduation, COVID canceled my activities for the last year. I did not start anything new until this summer, which I address in both my COVID essay and gap year essay responses. Do you guys think it is okay for me to not submit a CV?

"If your education has not been continuous or if you completed your studies more than one year ago, please attach a curriculum vitae or resume below. This will help us to understand how you have spent your time and/or been employed since graduating from college."

I graduated in May 2020, but following graduation, COVID canceled my activities for the last year. I did not start anything new until this summer, which I address in both my COVID essay and gap year essay responses. Do you guys think it is okay for me to not submit a CV?
I don't think you need to. I believe the next line after what you quoted says that if you already covered it in your AMCAS, you don't need to. Only add your CV if there is something on there that is not an your primary.

Received MSTP secondary. Only additional question is :

Q6) Please describe why the UMass Medical School MD/PhD program is your choice for training as a physician and a scientist. (200 word limit)

Anyone applying early decision? Or have heard about someone who applied in the past?

do they give secondaries to everyone or do they screen first?

Did anyone receive a complete email after submitting? My app says complete in the portal but I didn't get an email.

is anyone unable to create a new password? I can't seem to find a way on their secondary website to create one

Does the PURCH track preclude you from regular MD admissions? I.e, if I am not a good enough candidate for and am not considered for PURCH, does that prevent me from being considered for regular MD as well?

Does anyone know if the "Are you financially dependant on your parents?" question will affect financial aid? I live alone but my mom still helps me. She claimed me as a dependant for 2020 tax returns but I won't be eligible next year.

Can someone post the PURCH secondary questions please? Thanks

are there any current students that can speak on their experiences in the Capstone Scholarly and Discovery Course?

Any other MSTP applicants not see an option for submitting a secondary fee? I submitted and my portal says complete but there is no where to pay

Any other MSTP applicants not see an option for submitting a secondary fee? I submitted and my portal says complete but there is no where to pay
The secondary fee is waived for MSTP applicants!

are there any current students that can speak on their experiences in the Capstone Scholarly and Discovery Course?
So think of Capstone as a longitudinal research project in an area that interests you. It's very low-key and there are many ways that students go about it. Some of us turn our summer projects into our capstone, some of us inherit projects of graduating class, some of us e-mail a professor and ask them if we could do a project with them. There are advisors that are available to help at every step of the way. Capstone is meant to be a good, fun experience so we don't really stress about it.

Does anyone know if the "Are you financially dependant on your parents?" question will affect financial aid? I live alone but my mom still helps me. She claimed me as a dependant for 2020 tax returns but I won't be eligible next year.
I'd answer yes if she claimed you as a dependent. They will require you to submit parental financial information for institutional aid anyway, so I don't think your answer to that questions will change things much.

So think of Capstone as a longitudinal research project in an area that interests you. It's very low-key and there are many ways that students go about it. Some of us turn our summer projects into our capstone, some of us inherit projects of graduating class, some of us e-mail a professor and ask them if we could do a project with them. There are advisors that are available to help at every step of the way. Capstone is meant to be a good, fun experience so we don't really stress about it.
Thanks!

Anyone else in-state get an email about approval for in-state tuition today?
hmm no I have not received it. I submitted the secondary the day I got it and I was verified pre-6/25

I actually just re-read their secondary complete email and it says I should've gotten a application complete email but I never did. When I check the portal it says I am complete and under review though, should I be concerned?

is anyone unable to create a new password? I can't seem to find a way on their secondary website to create one
I am also unable to create a new password...my screen stated that they emailed me a password, but I did not receive an email

I am also unable to create a new password...my screen stated that they emailed me a password, but I did not receive an email
Did you ever receive the password email? I'm having the same issue.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong - UMass tends to give II’s to OOS apps first, right?

II received today, OOS, no ties. secondary submitted 7/14

Someone correct me if I’m wrong - UMass tends to give II’s to OOS apps first, right?
I remember reading through threads from previous years, and I believe that is the case. Guess we have to hold tight.

IS and submitted the first day of secondary release. Only got IS validation email today.

I somehow forgot to add anything for pre-reqs before submitting. I'm hitting myself. What should I do? Send an update? Or an email?

I somehow forgot to add anything for pre-reqs before submitting. I'm hitting myself. What should I do? Send an update? Or an email?
FWIW I messed up the in-state proof part of the application and they emailed me about it and re-opened the secondary for me.