2021-2022 Missouri, Kansas City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone applying here? A bit confused because we have to fill out the general application on their website, but as of right now "Spring 2022" is the only option for entry term. Emailed them a week ago but haven't heard back..

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone applying here? A bit confused because we have to fill out the general application on their website, but as of right now "Spring 2022" is the only option for entry term. Emailed them a week ago but haven't heard back..

I am also applying here. Thank you for bringing up the general application - I was unaware that I can submit that before being extended the secondary application.

Specifically regarding "Spring 2022"--UMKC begins in January. This is EARLY compared to many other schools which begin in late Summer / early Fall. If you applied now in 2021, you would begin UMKC in January 2022.

"The UMKC School of Medicine offers an opportunity for medical education to students who have obtained, or will soon earn, a baccalaureate degree. This program is the M.D. Program. Students interested in the M.D. Program must apply for admission between May 1 and August 1. If selected for admission, students will begin coursework in January" - M.D. Program | Overview | UMKC School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here, I misunderstood their requirements. I’m a traditional IS applicant that was hoping to get into UMKC or UMKC - St. Joe. I thought that they would have the 2021-2022 application cycle enter in January 2023.

Reactions: 1 user
I am also applying here. Thank you for bringing up the general application - I was unaware that I can submit that before being extended the secondary application.

Specifically regarding "Spring 2022"--UMKC begins in January. This is EARLY compared to many other schools which begin in late Summer / early Fall. If you applied now in 2021, you would begin UMKC in January 2022.

"The UMKC School of Medicine offers an opportunity for medical education to students who have obtained, or will soon earn, a baccalaureate degree. This program is the M.D. Program. Students interested in the M.D. Program must apply for admission between May 1 and August 1. If selected for admission, students will begin coursework in January" - M.D. Program | Overview | UMKC School of Medicine
Oh wow, I did not know this! I just added them recently, but when I looked at a curriculum schedule I thought it said summer. Guess I'll have to look into it more. Thank you!

Yeah, I had no idea about the January start situation. I don't really know what to do since I have an actual job and literally would be trying to move and plan my life ans everything so fast, maybe before I even get into other options, so odd

In case it helps anyone with their decision, I decided not to complete the secondary for the following reasons:
  1. Starting in January cuts my gap year in half and I have things planned, have a job, and wouldn't want to move to a new state on such short notice
  2. I found out that after all of the BA/MD students in the UMKC program are accepted, there are only like 20 spots for normal med applicatnts
  3. Of those 20 spots, there is a huge preference for in state students, WHICH INCLUDES regional students from the states of Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma. This is where I went wrong- I saw their high out of state acceptance rate and thought I would apply but it is the same situation as the University of Washington where they have partnerships with other states.
  4. They seem to care a lot about rural medicine which is something I don't have any experience or much interest in. They don't have any medical spanish program which is something I have a lot of interest in.
  5. Wanted to save the $50 app fee
  6. Didn't really want to live in Kansas City, MO anyway
Hope this helps! Good luck to everyone... one less secondary to worry about I guess!

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe a dumb question here, but...

If I apply this cycle as a junior and don't graduate undergrad until May 2022, am I out of luck? In other words you can't enter at any later date?

Maybe a dumb question here, but...

If I apply this cycle as a junior and don't graduate undergrad until May 2022, am I out of luck? In other words you can't enter at any later date?
You're out of luck my man. I applied already and was ineligible for the that reason. They will not consider you for the next entering class either; I emailed their admissions office.

In case it helps anyone with their decision, I decided not to complete the secondary for the following reasons:
  1. Starting in January cuts my gap year in half and I have things planned, have a job, and wouldn't want to move to a new state on such short notice
  2. I found out that after all of the BA/MD students in the UMKC program are accepted, there are only like 20 spots for normal med applicatnts
  3. Of those 20 spots, there is a huge preference for in state students, WHICH INCLUDES regional students from the states of Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma. This is where I went wrong- I saw their high out of state acceptance rate and thought I would apply but it is the same situation as the University of Washington where they have partnerships with other states.
  4. They seem to care a lot about rural medicine which is something I don't have any experience or much interest in. They don't have any medical spanish program which is something I have a lot of interest in.
Hope this helps! Good luck to everyone... one less secondary to worry about I guess!
Sounds like the best decision for you! Good luck with the cycle!

Can you receive interview invites to both campuses (St. Joseph and Kansas City)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi RelevantBeing1, I was wondering if (#3) the regional students are counted as in state students on MSAR data? That would make a lot more sense.

Hi RelevantBeing1, I was wondering if (#3) the regional students are counted as in state students on MSAR data? That would make a lot more sense.
they're not. UMKC has a ranking system where in state > regional > out of state and in a situation where there's usually only 20 people matriculating, you don't see that many true out of state students.

they're not. UMKC has a ranking system where in state > regional > out of state and in a situation where there's usually only 20 people matriculating, you don't see that many true out of state students.
True out of state as meaning not regional?

bro, this is off topic, but let me just say i love your name and pfp lmao
thanks! trying to channel her energy (the good stuff lol) in this app cycle

Hello everyone,
I just noticed the January start date as well. Does this school have a application process to start in august or does it only start in January? Thank you for your help!

only Jan. one of the calendars I was looking at somewhere did have an Aug start but 99% sure that's incorrect

does this school automatically send secondaries? has anyone gotten theirs yet?
according to MSAR data they send them to “all qualified applicants”. my primary was verified 7/9 and i received mine on 7/12, but that timeline may vary as the cycle goes on

Does this school conduct interviews on a rolling basis? If we're complete in August, does this push us behind?

Is anyone seeing that their LOR's have not been received on the app status page? My LORS have been received my AMCAS, but not sure why its showing not received by UMKC?

Is anyone seeing that their LOR's have not been received on the app status page? My LORS have been received my AMCAS, but not sure why its showing not received by UMKC?
mine are received. were your letters recently submitted to amcas? if not, I would reach out and ask about it

Is invitation to tour and meet with the dean sent to everyone/ anyone else get this?

Is invitation to tour and meet with the dean sent to everyone/ anyone else get this?
Yes, I believe that everyone receives the invitation. The campus tours are open to all prospective applicants as listed on their webpage.

Does this school conduct interviews on a rolling basis? If we're complete in August, does this push us behind?
Only two interview dates total my year, not sure if they will do more or not.

I am open to answering questions if you guys want to ping me on here or DM me. I am a current student of the MD-Only program.

30 minutes with no replies of questions? Are ANY of you neurotic enough to make it???? /sss

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
how do you know this? Do you know if they review IS students first?
I remember seeing it on their website at some point. If I recall correctly, in-state students and regional students are evaluated separately, although I don't know how true this is for this cycle. Fairly certain it was for a past cycle tho, so take my post with a grain of salt.

I remember seeing it on their website at some point. If I recall correctly, in-state students and regional students are evaluated separately, although I don't know how true this is for this cycle. Fairly certain it was for a past cycle tho, so take my post with a grain of salt.
I will just say that we typically only conduct one interview cycle, so all apps are evaluated before that week.

I will just say that we typically only conduct one interview cycle, so all apps are evaluated before that week.
Do you know how many IIs are sent out in that cycle and what is the post-II acceptance rate?

So if we were complete in early August and IS, do you think we're late and our app will be evaluated as one of the last ones? We may get an interview waitlist at best?

Or like are interviews all sent out at the same time, so even if we were complete in early August, we'll have the same shot of getting an interview as someone complete in June/July?
I believe all apps are evaluated before, as II are mostly sent out in one batch. There may be a small second batch if students decline interviews in the original batch.

Do you know how many IIs are sent out in that cycle and what is the post-II acceptance rate?
It is slightly different now, as this year we are accepting 40 MD-only students instead of 20, plus or minus of course.
I will say that my year it was about 80 interviewers for what turned into 23 MD-only slots. This year my guess would be they do 120 for the 40-45 slots. I think there are about 5 waitlist spots a year that open, again very variable. So I'd say 28 people were accepted my year out of 80.

• Love
Were letters due August 1st? Very confusing reading deadlines on their website. Have everything completed except waiting for them to get the letter from AMCAS.

If they have not marked your letters received then please reach out to admissions by email and confirm they received it. They are quick to work with applicants!

@JHon1 When do you think interview invites will be sent out, and is there a window in which we can receive them?

@JHon1 When do you think interview invites will be sent out, and is there a window in which we can receive them?
We received our II on 9/18 my year. I would expect them in the next 2 weeks or so. Keep an eye out and make sure they are not caught in spam filters.

• Care
As always I am here to answer questions if you guys need anything, just let me know what I can do. I know the process is stressful. My current rotation is a bit busier so it might take a little longer to get them done if you are PMing me.

Anybody have II news yet??

Has anyone tried emailing or calling admissions?

Has anyone tried emailing or calling admissions?
I was thinking that I might if I didn't hear anything by the end of the week. If II's weren't so late last year I'd be more concerned.