2021-2022 Nebraska

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @CantFindMeNowAdcoms for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Nebraska Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. If you have been away from full-time academics for more than two years, please explain. (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)
2. What is your personal rationale for applying to the UNMC College of Medicine? (1,000 characters)
3. How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected you professionally and personally? (1,000 characters)
4. What are you most proud of in your life? (1,500 characters)
5. Tell us about a time when you had to overcome adversity. (1,500 characters)
6. Given the lack of shadowing opportunities over the last 18 months, how do you know that you want to be a physician and what the career entails? (1,500 characters)

Re-applicant questions:
1. If you are a re-applicant to the UNMC College of Medicine, how is your application different this year? (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)
2. If this is your first application to UNMC, but not your first application to medical school, what is your rationale for applying to UNMC this cycle? (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS with Strong Ties -- Secondary Received!

@wysdoc
  • If you have been away from full-time academics for more than two years, please explain. (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)
  • What is your personal rationale for applying to the UNMC College of Medicine? (1,000 characters)
  • How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected you professionally and personally? (1,000 characters)
  • What are you most proud of in your life? (1,500 characters)
  • Tell us about a time when you had to overcome adversity. (1,500 characters)
  • Given the lack of shadowing opportunities over the last 18 months, how do you know that you want to be a physician and what the career entails? (1,500 characters)
Re-applicant questions:
  • If you are a re-applicant to the UNMC College of Medicine, how is your application different this year? (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)
  • If this is your first application to UNMC, but not your first application to medical school, what is your rationale for applying to UNMC this cycle? (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)

Reactions: 1 user
OOS with Strong Ties -- Secondary Received!

@wysdoc
  • If you have been away from full-time academics for more than two years, please explain. (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)
  • What is your personal rationale for applying to the UNMC College of Medicine? (1,000 characters)
  • How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected you professionally and personally? (1,000 characters)
  • What are you most proud of in your life? (1,500 characters)
  • Tell us about a time when you had to overcome adversity. (1,500 characters)
  • Given the lack of shadowing opportunities over the last 18 months, how do you know that you want to be a physician and what the career entails? (1,500 characters)
Re-applicant questions:
  • If you are a re-applicant to the UNMC College of Medicine, how is your application different this year? (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)
  • If this is your first application to UNMC, but not your first application to medical school, what is your rationale for applying to UNMC this cycle? (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)
+1

Members don't see this ad :)
"Given the lack of shadowing opportunities over the last 18 months, how do you know that you want to be a physician and what the career entails?"

Is it just me or does this seems like a strange question for those who shadowed before the pandemic

Last edited:
Hi, everyone, did you receive an email stating your application is completed and under review? I submitted my secondary today, but haven't received an email telling me my application is completed. I have my letter of recommendation uploaded a long time ago as well...By the way, I am OOS, no ties, but my husband is from Wyoming, and I am an Iowa resident, so it makes sense to choose Nebraska, which is right between my husband's family and my friends lol

Hi, everyone, did you receive an email stating your application is completed and under review? I submitted my secondary today, but haven't received an email telling me my application is completed. I have my letter of recommendation uploaded a long time ago as well...By the way, I am OOS, no ties, but my husband is from Wyoming, and I am an Iowa resident, so it makes sense to choose Nebraska, which is right between my husband's family and my friends lol
i didn’t receive an email and the only way i knew they got it was when i saw the charge on my bank account! i believe they just have a page at the end of the supplemental application that says it’s complete, but the next you hear from the university is regarding your interview decision

I didn't receive an email either. I emailed admissions and they quickly responded saying my application was received.

II today! First one so far, feeling really relieved. Secondary complete 7/27, OOS, strong ties, nontrad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II today, first one of the cycle so I'm excited :) Secondary complete 8/9, OOS, URM, strong ties

Reactions: 2 users
II this morning (first of this cycle!). Complete 8/17. OOS but with decent ties, high MCAT/low GPA. First time applying to UNMC.

Has anybody been rejected from here yet? In a previous cycle, I was rejected <10 days post submission but it’s been like 2 months this time. Did they just stop sending hard Rs since then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody been rejected from here yet? In a previous cycle, I was rejected <10 days post submission but it’s been like 2 months this time. Did they just stop sending hard Rs since then?
It is likely that admissions is working on getting through all their early decision applications now. Their deadline to respond to early decision applicants is October 1st. I would imagine we might see more movement in the regular cycle after that.

If you are an early decision applicant as well you will hear back sometime between now and next Friday, October 1st. I wish you the best this cycle!!

II today!

OOS with no ties to state, complete beginning of September.

Interview dates that they offered range from end of October to the beginning of December.

Last edited:
Do you know how we can be reminded of our interview date? It doesn’t appear on the application portal :/
I ended up emailing admissions directly to confirm my date.

Yes it did, but personally I don't have any reason to. I'm OOS and don't have any ties other than living in Iowa and Omaha would be close to my family
Me too……not sure even how to appeal the decision lol, the only reason I choose Nebraska is that it is close to me and my family……

Jumping on here to say I was accepted EDP today. If anyone else was accepted feel free to message me, I’d love to get to know some future classmates. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 3 users
Was accepted EDP yesterday. GPA: 3.89, MCAT: 511, IS. Good luck to everyone else!

Also accepted EDP yesterday: MCAT 509; GPA 3.33 IS.

Non traditional; second time applying; first EDP

To those out there who feel like they’re on the lower end of the GPA/MCAT metrics: it’s okay and NORMAL to feel discouraged once in awhile, but don’t lose hope! Trust that admissions does their best to see the human behind the numbers.

Wishing everyone the best and a fruitful 2021-2022.

• Care
has anyone had their interview day yet? how was it/what was the day like

has anyone had their interview day yet? how was it/what was the day like
Zoom interview day.
Begins with opening remarks, then a chance to talk with current UNMC students, interviews take place over the lunch hour, followed by closing remarks/questions.

Interview:
Blind, 30 min, very friendly. Not there to try to trick you/catch you off guard/trip you up. It's a chance for the faculty to get to know you.

I'm already rolling my eyes at how cliché this is, but be yourself! I've interviewed with them twice, and I regret trying to prepare so much for the first round. I doubt I'm the only one who tried to pre-plan the interview a dozen different ways in my head, only to feel frustrated when *surprise* it didn't go how I had imagined. I prepared for a business interview, and what I got was friendly conversation.

Get a good night's sleep, do whatever morning routine makes you comfortable, and just keep in mind why you're on this path.

Lastly, if you're like me and your brain seems prone to a random fart under stress: afford yourself a moment to reset. Channel your inner Michelle Branch and breathe.

Got the R this afternoon. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Interviewed mid-November and was told not to expect a response until January. Is that consistent with what others have heard/experienced?

Interviewed mid-November and was told not to expect a response until January. Is that consistent with what others have heard/experienced?
Yes, I interviewed early October and they said anytime from the second week of January to mid March. They also said an EXTREMELY small group of students could hear in December. I assume those must be folks who interviewed super early or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi folks, I misplaced my notes from interview day… when is the last day to send an update? I think it’s middle of December if I recall correctly.

Hi folks, I misplaced my notes from interview day… when is the last day to send an update? I think it’s middle of December if I recall correctly.
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 12.48.45 PM copy2.png

Last edited:
Hey everyone, did anyone receive an email from UNMC TrueLogin? It says I need to complete a supplementary application but I already filled out my secondary. I also interviewed there in October

Hey everyone, did anyone receive an email from UNMC TrueLogin? It says I need to complete a supplementary application but I already filled out my secondary. I also interviewed there in October
Did you receive an email from Lindsay (Admissions Director)? It says it’s to collect SSN and other financial information. It’s not the secondary app.

Did you receive an email from Lindsay (Admissions Director)? It says it’s to collect SSN and other financial information. It’s not the secondary app.
It wasn't from Lindsay directly but it looks like it's from UNMC's automated student self-service system. It also did ask for my SSN. I didn't get this when I applied last time so I hope this is a good sign lol

Based on past trends, hoping the first set of decisions will come out this week or next week
I think next week is the better bet given that they're still accepting updates this week.

Decisions are released in spring and the latest is by 3/18/2022 according to their wrap-up session the day you interview.

Decisions are released in spring and the latest is by 3/18/2022 according to their wrap-up session the day you interview.
Yes, but they also said that some applicants would hear back as early as mid/late December.

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone heard any updates today? I saw talk in here about it starting this week or next week so I figured I'd ask :)
Looks like last year it started the week of Christmas. Curious, when they release these first few rounds is it a mixture of decisions? Or is it all A's and then WL and R's come later in the cycle?

Looks like last year it started the week of Christmas. Curious, when they release these first few rounds is it a mixture of decisions? Or is it all A's and then WL and R's come later in the cycle?
It seems like in past years it was more A’s first and then WL and R’s later.

Accepted! 3.9x/51x OOS with strong ties

Reactions: 4 users