2021-2022 Nevada, Reno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm asking a bit early, but are there any current UNRMed OOS students lurking? I am currently in the east (far, I know) and hope to apply here. I grew up in Reno and went to school there through the 8th grade before my family moved. I know that UNR favors IS, but if anyone has some input or advice, it would be much appreciated ✌️✌️

Unfortunately UNR is very strict on out of state applicants....

It wouldn't hurt to apply, however as you can apply for a residency exemption...

From the website

To be considered for an interview, out-of-state residents must reside in, and have documentation of legal residency in one of the following states or California counties, for 12 months prior to Nov 1 of their application year:

• Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah or Wyoming, or
  • California counties of Alpine, El Dorado, Inyo, Lassen, Modoc, Mono, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, and Sierra, and

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately UNR is very strict on out of state applicants....

It wouldn't hurt to apply, however as you can apply for a residency exemption...

From the website

To be considered for an interview, out-of-state residents must reside in, and have documentation of legal residency in one of the following states or California counties, for 12 months prior to Nov 1 of their application year:

• Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah or Wyoming, or
  • California counties of Alpine, El Dorado, Inyo, Lassen, Modoc, Mono, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, and Sierra, and
Thanks for your input! I looked through their website and it looks like they're hosting an info-session in early June so I'll register for that and see if they can give me any advice, too.

Secondary received. IS. Good luck fellow Nevadans!

Hi everyone! I am applying early decision as an in state applicant. I completed my secondary last week, and I took my CASPER May 4. The portal says my CASPER score wasn't received and I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat with that. I reached out to Altus support (the casper people) and they said the school probably has them, but hasn't updated their system. I don't want to bother the admissions office, so thought I would ask here for some piece of mind!

Hi everyone! I am applying early decision as an in state applicant. I completed my secondary last week, and I took my CASPER May 4. The portal says my CASPER score wasn't received and I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat with that. I reached out to Altus support (the casper people) and they said the school probably has them, but hasn't updated their system. I don't want to bother the admissions office, so thought I would ask here for some piece of mind!
I’ve ran into the same problem with other schools. I wouldn’t worry about it, they probably just haven’t uploaded the scores yet. Best of luck! Maybe we’ll be classmates next year!

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve ran into the same problem with other schools. I wouldn’t worry about it, they probably just haven’t uploaded the scores yet. Best of luck! Maybe we’ll be classmates next year!
Thank you! I'll give it another few weeks! Good luck to you, too!

How much does UNR Med weigh Casper? Specifically, Snapshot? Because half of it consisted of me freezing up like a frightened goat and the other half consisted of me giving laughably pathetic answers.

How much does UNR Med weigh Casper? Specifically, Snapshot? Because half of it consisted of me freezing up like a frightened goat and the other half consisted of me giving laughably pathetic answers.
I'm unsure about Snapshot and Duet, but CASPer isn't weighted that heavily at UNR SOM, from what I've heard.

Quick question for you: did you do the residency form already? How did you submit it?
Yes, I used CamScanner on my phone and submitted it to the mynevada email address on the cover page of the residency form packet. They were quick to get back to me and say it is being processed.

Yes, I used CamScanner on my phone and submitted it to the mynevada email address on the cover page of the residency form packet. They were quick to get back to me and say it is being processed.
Sweet. I wasn’t sure if that was a good email because that goes to the University, right? I’ll send it to that one and hope for the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet. I wasn’t sure if that was a good email because that goes to the University, right? I’ll send it to that one and hope for the best.
Yeah, through that email address they process the residency forms for all students at the school. I am assuming once it is reviewed they inform the med school. They are backed up right now so Ill let you know once mine is processed and what happens!

Yeah, through that email address they process the residency forms for all students at the school. I am assuming once it is reviewed they inform the med school. They are backed up right now so Ill let you know once mine is processed and what happens!
Thanks! I’m going to submit mine this weekend sometime most likely.

Have they marked your Duet score as received yet?

Hi! Congrats on the secondary! I was wondering when your primary was verified and if you are applying early decision?
I can chime in on this one. My primary was verified 5/27, I received a secondary invite on 6/29. I'm in state and applied early decision.

Frightened goat! 🤣🤣🤣 That is what im worried about with the all virtual asynchronous interviews! I was so bummed when I found out about that! I was at their secondary and interview info session and they said they really weren't using the altus suite to make decisions yet, more as a tool to see how the admitted students end up scoring on it to determine if they want to incorporate it in future years, that's the impression I got after hearing them speak about it. There is a recording of the info session on YouTube if you want to hear more:

• Love
Frightened goat! 🤣🤣🤣 That is what im worried about with the all virtual asynchronous interviews! I was so bummed when I found out about that! I was at their secondary and interview info session and they said they really weren't using the altus suite to make decisions yet, more as a tool to see how the admitted students end up scoring on it to determine if they want to incorporate it in future years, that's the impression I got after hearing them speak about it. There is a recording of the info session on YouTube if you want to hear more:

Thank youuuuuu!!!

I just got my OOS residency approval!! But I can't download/open the approval they attached to the email.... did anyone else have issues with this file?
Edit: Nvm, I reached out to them.

Last edited:
So I'm approved OOS and the last essay I've got left is the "vision of healthy NV" essay..... I am unsure of what to write about :( Would appreciate any guidance from fellow OOSers (or anyone)
Edit: I have ideas jotted down but don't want to write anything that might make me come off as being all knowy-knowy of NV's struggles while being OOS

So I'm approved OOS and the last essay I've got left is the "vision of healthy NV" essay..... I am unsure of what to write about :( Would appreciate any guidance from fellow OOSers (or anyone)
Edit: I have ideas jotted down but don't want to write anything that might make me come off as being all knowy-knowy of NV's struggles while being OOS
Im OOS as well and my plan was to do some research of issues in the area and see which ones tie to UNR's mission statement and go from there! Totally understand being stressed about being too confident in issues that we can't relate to as OOS applicants, but in my opinion, I think that research makes you seem interested in attending UNR which is a good thing! :)

Im OOS as well and my plan was to do some research of issues in the area and see which ones tie to UNR's mission statement and go from there! Totally understand being stressed about being too confident in issues that we can't relate to as OOS applicants, but in my opinion, I think that research makes you seem interested in attending UNR which is a good thing! :)
Grateful for your input- I think I've just been too self-conscious and polite lol, but I think I will use your angle to craft my statement

• Care
Be confident! Think of why you want to be a physician and what kind of population you want to serve and then look and see how it applies to NV, we have a lot of the same healthcare access issues present in many places around the country, so chances are your motivation for wanting to be a physician will apply to Nevadans as well! They have some great research that they do at UNR about expanding access to care and talk a lot about the populations they serve on the website. Weave in your motivation for pursuing medical school with one of those areas and you will be good!

• Love
Be confident! Think of why you want to be a physician and what kind of population you want to serve and then look and see how it applies to NV, we have a lot of the same healthcare access issues present in many places around the country, so chances are your motivation for wanting to be a physician will apply to Nevadans as well! They have some great research that they do at UNR about expanding access to care and talk a lot about the populations they serve on the website. Weave in your motivation for pursuing medical school with one of those areas and you will be good!
Honestly I appreciate the guidance. I wonder if I went to school with any of y'all when I lived there :rofl:

• Care
The lack of all green checkmarks was making me think I missed something. I reached out and the admissions office said it is a glitch in the system that they are working on. Our applications are complete if all sections are marked as received except for the application complete one.

The lack of all green checkmarks was making me think I missed something. I reached out and the admissions office said it is a glitch in the system that they are working on. Our applications are complete if all sections are marked as received except for the application complete one.
Reached out and got the same feedback as well.

I was verified 7/25 OOS with ties to Nevada (graduated from NV high school). Any estimate on time until secondary is received?

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Hello all current (and future) applicants! I wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I'll be helping out in this forum throughout the admissions cycle.

A little about me: I'm a current MS2 at UNR Med and I'm working with admissions this year to help answer your questions in our school specific forum. I'm simply serving as another point of contact for the admissions team since they can get really busy, especially during the fall and through the spring.

I'll always do my best to provide you with accurate, up to date information regarding our admissions process, the application cycle, and upcoming admissions events. However, like anybody else who works in admissions, I am still held to a strict degree of confidentiality about a lot of things. I will never discuss topics such as: accepted/waitlisted applicants and their details, the number of acceptances/waitlist decisions that have been sent out, when you're most likely to get an interview, waitlist positions, MCAT/GPA metrics, specifics about our applicant review process, or any other super specific details that I shouldn't disclose. If I don't know the answer to your question, I'll reach out to my supervisor and try to find an answer.

Please understand that I'm in classes most of the day, every day, so my response time might occasionally take a little while. But do feel free to ask me any and all questions that you have. Best of luck to all who apply this cycle!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
...admissions process, the application cycle, and upcoming admissions events...
Thank you for doing this! I guess I'll start! Does UNRMed review the primary app before deciding to send out a secondary? Is there a different timeline for OOS students such as myself as to when secondaries/II's are sent?

Hey @BrontoPronto, I'm glad to be here. I'm pretty new to this position and will be finishing getting trained up later this week, so I'll hold off on answering for just a few more days. But I promise I'll be back!

Hello all current (and future) applicants! I wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I'll be helping out in this forum throughout the admissions cycle.

A little about me: I'm a current MS2 at UNR Med and I'm working with admissions this year to help answer your questions in our school specific forum. I'm simply serving as another point of contact for the admissions team since they can get really busy, especially during the fall and through the spring.

I'll always do my best to provide you with accurate, up to date information regarding our admissions process, the application cycle, and upcoming admissions events. However, like anybody else who works in admissions, I am still held to a strict degree of confidentiality about a lot of things. I will never discuss topics such as: accepted/waitlisted applicants and their details, the number of acceptances/waitlist decisions that have been sent out, when you're most likely to get an interview, waitlist positions, MCAT/GPA metrics, specifics about our applicant review process, or any other super specific details that I shouldn't disclose. If I don't know the answer to your question, I'll reach out to my supervisor and try to find an answer.

Please understand that I'm in classes most of the day, every day, so my response time might occasionally take a little while. But do feel free to ask me any and all questions that you have. Best of luck to all who apply this cycle!
Thanks so much for doing this! My question is if I am Nevada connected by virtue of having graduated from a Nevada High School, but not currently a resident of Nevada, will I be considered as an in-state applicant or an out-of-state applicant? If I'm considered OOS, are there additional forms or essays that I need to prepare?

Thanks so much for doing this! My question is if I am Nevada connected by virtue of having graduated from a Nevada High School, but not currently a resident of Nevada, will I be considered as an in-state applicant or an out-of-state applicant? If I'm considered OOS, are there additional forms or essays that I need to prepare?
Not the rep, but I'm also OOS (moved right before high school), and I submitted a residency exemption form. UNR's website has details on what category of residency you would fall into! Since you went to HS there, maybe you might even be a higher priority OOS applicant.

Not the rep, but I'm also OOS (moved right before high school), and I submitted a residency exemption form. UNR's website has details on what category of residency you would fall into! Since you went to HS there, maybe you might even be a higher priority OOS applicant.
That's super helpful, thank you! Best of luck to you this cycle.

• Care
Thanks for the help @BrontoPronto! I'll add a little to this too.

According to University policy, anybody who graduates from a Nevada High School will always be a Nevada resident in their eyes (for tuition purposes), even if you're currently living out of state. To further clarify, UNR Med defers on this to the overall University policy, which I've linked right here.

I've also included a link to the Medical School's "Eligibility to Apply" categories because they can also help define IS vs. OOS residency for application purposes and how this is separate from "for tuition purposes". Scroll down the first 1/3 of the page to Category A and B. In response to @rolexb's specific question, because they've graduated from a Nevada high school, they qualify as a Nevada resident for Tuition purposes at NSHE institutions. Therefore, they're able to apply to UNR Med under Category A - Nevada Connected Applicants. Check it out here.

As far as having any extra forms to complete, some people with strong ties to Nevada but that don't make it into Category A or B apply for residency exemptions (for the purpose of being eligible to apply). I've heard from classmates that this includes a form and a short essay about your ties to Nevada but I'm not 100% familiar with how these work, so I'll add this to my list of things to clarify later this week and get back to you about it!

I apologize for getting into the weeds with my overly semantic answer! just wanted to make sure I clarified all the differences.

As far as having any extra forms to complete, some people with strong ties to Nevada but that don't make it into Category A or B apply for residency exemptions (for the purpose of being eligible to apply). I've heard from classmates that this includes a form and a short essay about your ties to Nevada but I'm not 100% familiar with how these work, so I'll add this to my list of things to clarify later this week and get back to you about it!
The residency exemption form was exactly that- a short essay (no given limit) about any ties to NV. It's like a google form- admissions will email you about approval.

Thanks for the help @BrontoPronto! I'll add a little to this too.

According to University policy, anybody who graduates from a Nevada High School will always be a Nevada resident in their eyes (for tuition purposes), even if you're currently living out of state. To further clarify, UNR Med defers on this to the overall University policy, which I've linked right here.

I've also included a link to the Medical School's "Eligibility to Apply" categories because they can also help define IS vs. OOS residency for application purposes and how this is separate from "for tuition purposes". Scroll down the first 1/3 of the page to Category A and B. In response to @rolexb's specific question, because they've graduated from a Nevada high school, they qualify as a Nevada resident for Tuition purposes at NSHE institutions. Therefore, they're able to apply to UNR Med under Category A - Nevada Connected Applicants. Check it out here.

I apologize for getting into the weeds with my overly semantic answer! just wanted to make sure I clarified all the differences.
That's super helpful, thank you so much!

Just to clarify: does that mean that I'll be viewed as a Nevada resident for tuition purposes only, or also for admissions purposes? I only ask because on the website you linked, it says "Meeting the above criteria does not result in classification as a Nevada resident for purposes of tuition" but I'm still uncertain about if there is a distinction between "Nevada-connected applicants" and "in-state applicants".

how long did it take y'all to receive a secondary? my (finally) verified app went through 2 Aug

how long did it take y'all to receive a secondary? my (finally) verified app went through 2 Aug
I was transmitted 7/22 and I haven't heard a peep :[ granted, I'm OOS (with ties though!)

OOS secondary received!!!! So excited!!!
Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

• Love
Reactions: 2 users