2021-2022 New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you receive yours yet? If you did how long did it take?
I have not received mine but I emailed admissions and almost immediately I got an email back saying my app was just received from AMCAS and that it will now take 2-3 weeks. I was verified since May so I don't know why it took so long. It has now been a week since I recieved the application received email so I hope to hear back soon!

I think they are just very behind this cycle. I have not yet received mine but they sent an email saying they got my primary but it will take a few weeks to process apps. I was verified 6/25.

Reactions: 1 user
I have not received mine but I emailed admissions and almost immediately I got an email back saying my app was just received from AMCAS and that it will now take 2-3 weeks. I was verified since May so I don't know why it took so long. It has now been a week since I recieved the application received email so I hope to hear back soon!
Thank you! Glad to see we are all in the same boat. I was getting pretty worried haha

This year's prompts:

Background and Diversity:
At the UNM School of Medicine we are committed to building a dynamic, productive and positive learning environment in addition to promoting cross cultural and cross racial understanding among students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds. Share any unique or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity and life and work experiences. How will your background or experiences contribute to the diversity of a medical school class? (2000 characters)

Interest and Suitability for a Career in Medicine
Mentorship and clinical experience are integral to developing and understanding of the challenges and rewards of being a physician? Thinking back to your own road to applying to medical school, what is a patient experience or mentorship moment that was most formative to your progression so far? Please share this experience and explain how it fits into your motivation for pursuing a career as a physician. (2000 characters)

Problem Solving:
There is a physician shortage in New Mexico. What is your understanding of the contributors to this problem, and what ideas do you have to address it? (2000 characters)

Public Health:
What aspects of public health do you think should be emphasized in the UNM SOM curriculum? Why? (2000 characters)

Self-Growth/Teamwork:
Please describe a personal or professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. How did you resolve it? What skills, resources and/or strategies did you employ? DO NOT write about the MCAT, a course, or an academic issue. (2000 characters)

COVID-19 Impact:
Please describe how COVID-19 has affected your preparation for applying to medical school. Describe any academic, personal, financial, or professional barriers/disruptions that COVID-19 may have triggered. (2000 characters)

Reapplication:
Have you previously submitted an AMCAS application to the University of New Mexico School of Medicine? (Yes/No)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone applying! I’m a fairly recent alumni, currently in residency training. Happy to answer any questions about UNMSOM that I’m able to.

Any word on when decisions will be released? Based on past years forums I'm guessing early December, but it's really unclear

Any word on when decisions will be released? Based on past years forums I'm guessing early December, but it's really unclear
I have been wondering the same thing... My interview day only said that we would hear by March so I have just accepted that I am going to have to wait for a while. December would be awesome though!

Sheesh, March is a long way off. There are so many things to love about UNM, but their level of communication is not one of them

• Haha
Sheesh, March is a long way off. There are so many things to love about UNM, but their level of communication is not one of them
Lol I have to agree with that one, communication could definitely be better. From the past forums, I think that I saw that the first 1/3 of acceptances will go out in November to the applicants with the highest assigned point values, the rest hear back around February/March timeframe. But this was not mentioned on interview day so I don't know how accurate it is.

Lol I have to agree with that one, communication could definitely be better. From the past forums, I think that I saw that the first 1/3 of acceptances will go out in November to the applicants with the highest assigned point values, the rest hear back around February/March timeframe. But this was not mentioned on interview day so I don't know how accurate it is.
This was mentioned on my interview day so I think that is still correct. They said that the applicants that have the highest scores will hear back in nov and then every one else will be ranked and based off that ranking acceptances will be sent out in feb/march

This was mentioned on my interview day so I think that is still correct. They said that the applicants that have the highest scores will hear back in nov and then every one else will be ranked and based off that ranking acceptances will be sent out in feb/march
Awesome, thanks! I am glad they said this during someone's interview day to confirm. Here's to hoping we hear back next month!

Hi, I am interviewing this Thursday! Any tips, anyone? Did you all share your stats with the interviewer? I also heard that is is possible to hear about your seat in November if you were accepted or rejected on a rolling basis.

Hi, I am interviewing this Thursday! Any tips, anyone? Did you all share your stats with the interviewer? I also heard that is is possible to hear about your seat in November if you were accepted or rejected on a rolling basis.
Hey! Congratulations on the interview invite!! My only tips are to be relaxed and don't stress. The interview day at UNM was great, they really are just trying to get to know you a little better. It was 2 1 on 1 interviews and both were faculty physicians for me. They both just wanted to know more about my journey to medicine and get to know who I am as a person. There was no need to share your stats with them, and it didn't really come up at all. It's just a conversation, so go have a good time! Good luck, you'll do great!

Hey! Congratulations on the interview invite!! My only tips are to be relaxed and don't stress. The interview day at UNM was great, they really are just trying to get to know you a little better. It was 2 1 on 1 interviews and both were faculty physicians for me. They both just wanted to know more about my journey to medicine and get to know who I am as a person. There was no need to share your stats with them, and it didn't really come up at all. It's just a conversation, so go have a good time! Good luck, you'll do great!
I appreciate your advice! I thought my interviews went super well. No COVID questions which really shocked me! MSAR says the tenth percentile for this school was 496, so I am praying my GPA offsets a poor MCAT!

I appreciate your advice! I thought my interviews went super well. No COVID questions which really shocked me! MSAR says the tenth percentile for this school was 496, so I am praying my GPA offsets a poor MCAT!
That’s great to hear, Congrats on crushing your interview day! My stats are very middle of the road as well, praying my experiences help me out a little.. here’s to hoping we get those acceptances!

Anyone else anxiously waiting for that "mid-November" bout of acceptances? I interviewed late September and haven't heard a peep.

Accepted with rolling admissions today. Out of state, Native American. Good luck to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed today. Fingers crossed hopefully I'll find out before March.

I hope it went well!

Did they mention anything about acceptances or how many spots were left?
They did say there were about 40 spots left. They mentioned if you get picked up for rolling admissions you will know sooner but for sure yes/no by March 15th

So they called me today and want me to do a third interview. Does anyone have any idea what this means???

So they called me today and want me to do a third interview. Does anyone have any idea what this means???
Could be a good thing! I havnt even heard back from my interview in September, so getting another interview has to be positive haha.

I called the office yesterday and they said the decision date is still looking like March 15th.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear today!

Haha yeah I hear that! Trying not to look at the clock

Just got an A!!! Interviewed in Sept

I am on the waitlist. Does anyone know how many they got through on the WL last year? I know their average is 25 but I was a little worried COVID might have affected how many people declined.

Well I got rejected. No worries though just headed out of this state. Congratulations to those who got in

I am on the waitlist. Does anyone know how many they got through on the WL last year? I know their average is 25 but I was a little worried COVID might have affected how many people declined.
I'm not sure about specific numbers, but I think every year it's around 15-25

I am on the waitlist. Feeling discouraged because part of me thinks it’s because of a lousy interview: interview schedules were forgotten to be sent, my first interviewer didn’t show up, and second interviewer had wifi issues so a full sentence couldn’t be made out.
I am also curious about the waitlist stats from last year.
Okay I just called the Office of Admissions and they said they went through 24 on the waitlist last year. So COVID did not affect it.

Does the school has good chances for matching residency for non primary care or outside of NM?

Does the school has good chances for matching residency for non primary care or outside of NM?
I’m just a premed but my understanding is that they are definitely primary care focused. My sister went to medical school here and they have students spend the most clinical time in primary care specialties, but it’s possible to match in other specialties. I think you would just have to push for it more yourself like doing research in your area of interest. In terms of matching outside of NM I wouldn’t be overly concerned about that. I’m not entirely sure how changing STEP 1 to pass/fail will change it but so long as you pass that and have good extracurriculars I would think you would be fine. If you got an acceptance to another school that is more focused on the specialty you want though that is definitely something to consider.

Hey guys, I went ahead and created a thread for the UNM SOM Waitlist for this year. If you want to post updates or just talk to each other, head over!