2021-2022 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted, hope there's decent movement but I'm hearing conflicting reports :/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted, hope there's decent movement but I'm hearing conflicting reports :/
Also waitlisted. Apparently, not everyone gets put on a waitlist, so not sure if that means we have a better chance. Wishing you luck man.

Also waitlisted. Apparently, not everyone gets put on a waitlist, so not sure if that means we have a better chance. Wishing you luck man.
That's good to hear! Someone posted on the subreddit that TCOM said they were expecting to be full on Match day this year, but there's also a post from 2 years ago saying they usually accept ~50 people off waitlist. Two complete ends of the spectrum, not sure what to feel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got waitlisted, does anyone know if they accept letters of intent?

That's good to hear! Someone posted on the subreddit that TCOM said they were expecting to be full on Match day this year, but there's also a post from 2 years ago saying they usually accept ~50 people off waitlist. Two complete ends of the spectrum, not sure what to feel.

Current M1. Felt we had a decent amount of people come off WL last year but no concrete numbers. Don’t lose hope yet!

Every school gets filled up after the Match. However, people will drop their acceptances for various reasons. I will say, with Baylor being in TMDSAS this year it'll be interesting. I imagine waitlist movement will not be as active since Baylor joined as that's what most Texas applicants ended up going if it was a non-TMDSAS school. Regardless, nobody knows and there should still be some movement.

facebook group link is emailed (and groupme link is on facebook page)
but if you wanna join the groupme earlier just dm me!:giggle:

don't give up hope yet if you're waitlisted! I got off the waitlist via deferred admission in july so it is possible!

facebook group link is emailed (and groupme link is on facebook page)
but if you wanna join the groupme earlier just dm me!:giggle:

don't give up hope yet if you're waitlisted! I got off the waitlist via deferred admission in july so it is possible!
Wow I'm sure that must've been a crazy call lol. July seems awfully late

For those of you waitlisted, what are yalls plans? Are yall reapplying or going to take a gap year if you don't get off the waitlist?

Does anyone know if people who already have a TMDSAS acceptance but ranked TCOM #1 and are on the waitlist for this school have similar chances of getting off the waitlist compared to students who don't have any medical school offers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if people who already have a TMDSAS acceptance but ranked TCOM #1 and are on the waitlist for this school have similar chances of getting off the waitlist compared to students who don't have any medical school offers?
They have similar chances up until May 15th, after which date new offers can go only to applicants holding no other TMDSAS acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you waitlisted, what are yalls plans? Are yall reapplying or going to take a gap year if you don't get off the waitlist?
Going off what wysdoc said about WL not moving until May, I'm planning on reapplying and keeping my fingers crossed that I get off WL. Submitting a new application shouldn't withdraw me from the WL, right? I haven't heard of that happening before but just wanted to double check.

Going off what wysdoc said about WL not moving until May, I'm planning on reapplying and keeping my fingers crossed that I get off WL. Submitting a new application shouldn't withdraw me from the WL, right? I haven't heard of that happening before but just wanted to double check.
You will be fine, and someone else asked TMDSAS this question directly. If you have started a new application for 2022-2023 and get pulled off your WL, you can withdraw your new application and go to school now :)

Since TCOM provides computers, do any current/past students know if I can ask for an upgraded Macbook model and pay a higher price for the computer or am I required to purchase the same computer with the same specs as everyone else?
Thank you.

You will be fine, and someone else asked TMDSAS this question directly. If you have started a new application for 2022-2023 and get pulled off your WL, you can withdraw your new application and go to school now :)
Would you happen to know if TCOM in the past has shared waitlist size and rank on waitlist to applicants who've asked? I'm considering sending an email to ask, also it might show continued interest past my LOI, but I'm not sure if it's frowned upon or something.

Would you happen to know if TCOM in the past has shared waitlist size and rank on waitlist to applicants who've asked? I'm considering sending an email to ask, also it might show continued interest past my LOI, but I'm not sure if it's frowned upon or something.
I don't think it will really help to ask, @jangcheck. You have done what you can by sending your LOI.
They definitely do not tell a WL person their "number" on a WL.
This year there have been almost zero WL offer for TMDSAS schools at this point, but it will start happening in May.
Last year TCOM even offered some applicants they really liked (but didn't have room for in the class) a spot in the following year's class!

Why has there been less WL movement this year compared to last?

Why has there been less WL movement this year compared to last?
WL offers started in May last year for this school as well. There is not a difference.
Human nature being what it is, if premeds holding multiple admissions are given a deadline of April 30 to narrow down their schools, they will do it on April 29 or 30 and not sooner.
I completely understand the wishes of TMDSAS applicants who didn't match on March 4th to hear something sooner. Hang on everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Since TCOM provides computers, do any current/past students know if I can ask for an upgraded Macbook model and pay a higher price for the computer or am I required to purchase the same computer with the same specs as everyone else?
Thank you.
You get the same as everybody else. If your need a special computer you will have to buy it separately. The exception is that if you previously did MedSci (their Master's degree program) and already bought the laptop within a year or two of getting into medical school, you can opt out of purchasing the same computer twice. Therefore, a few people in our class have 13" macbooks without the touchbar, but most have the 13" with the touchbar.

No updates on any waitlist movement yet?
Current MedSci (UNTHSC Masters program candidate) here. In terms of MedSci students on the WL (myself included), I have heard that TCOM will wait until our gross anatomy and physiology grades are entered into our transcripts before they start accepting. These grades were entered yesterday, so there will be some movement within my cohort, and hopefully the rest of the WL, within the next few weeks (if not sooner/this week).

Reactions: 4 users
Current MedSci (UNTHSC Masters program candidate) here. In terms of MedSci students on the WL (myself included), I have heard that TCOM will wait until our gross anatomy and physiology grades are entered into our transcripts before they start accepting. These grades were entered yesterday, so there will be some movement within my cohort, and hopefully the rest of the WL, within the next few weeks (if not sooner/this week).
Do MedSci students have an advantage over others on the WL?

Do MedSci students have an advantage over others on the WL?
MedSci students are technically in a different section of UNTHSC than medical students. (GSBS vs TCOM) However, some faculty are shared between the programs. I would argue that anyone that is in MedSci and performing at the top of their class is in good shape for a seat at any medical school in Texas, particularly TCOM.

TCOM usually accepts a batch of MedSci students on match day, and then more off the waitlist following their final grades being added to their transcripts.

Depending on how you look at it, MedSci students may or may not have an advantage. Compared to a student with a BA or BS, the MedSci student also has an MS. It makes them a more desired applicant, should you compare students on that factor alone. However, TCOM is also diversified within their student body, and they certainly don't anticipate having 250 students accepted each year with a masters degree. I would think that if you don't do MedSci, you probably need to shine compared to other non-masters TX applicants, but don't compare yourself to those with a master's degree. If you do MedSci, you definitely need to shine compared to other masters-level students.

In my opinion the biggest bias in admissions today may be gender - seems like a lot of schools are pretty big on accepting females 60/40 over males. Of course, we need female providers, so .. it is what it is!

Anyone know if waitlist movement is automatic or do they manually move people off the waitlist?

Anyone know if waitlist movement is automatic or do they manually move people off the waitlist?
It is intentional and involves direct action by the admissions committee members. This doesn’t mean they have to meet every time a vacancy is created, but it isn’t a computer based action.

It is intentional and involves direct action by the admissions committee members. This doesn’t mean they have to meet every time a vacancy is created, but it isn’t a computer based action.
Thank you! That's what I figured, but just wanted to double check. Looking forwards to what this next month has in store...

Reactions: 1 users
I have been receiving emails to reapply for the next cycle. Does anyone know if this is this an automatic email or does this mean that they are no longer considering me for the waitlist?

I have been receiving emails to reapply for the next cycle. Does anyone know if this is this an automatic email or does this mean that they are no longer considering me for the waitlist?
I'm also receiving these emails about applying for the 2023 cycle. Is there any way I can check on the portal to see if I am still on the waitlist?

I'm also receiving these emails about applying for the 2023 cycle. Is there any way I can check on the portal to see if I am still on the waitlist?
The TCOM/UNTHSC portal should tell you whether you're still on waitlist under this button/tab. I'm pretty sure the reapplication emails are automatic though.
1651622629190.png

Anyone else checking this thread 10 times a day to see if there’s WL movement or is that just me? 👀

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else checking this thread 10 times a day to see if there’s WL movement or is that just me? 👀
I am too, also checking the applicant portal 100x/day to see if I've moved off and the system just hasn't emailed me yet 🥲😭

want to confirm but if i am currently accepted to a TMDSAS school but am on the waitlist for this school by May 15, will I not be able to receive an offer off of the waitlist after May 15?

want to confirm but if i am currently accepted to a TMDSAS school but am on the waitlist for this school by May 15, will I not be able to receive an offer off of the waitlist after May 15?
@helpmesos
Yes, if you already hold a TMDSAS acceptance then May 15th is the last day you could get a WL offer from another TMDSAS school.
If your current acceptance is from an AMCAS or AACOMAS school, you can stay on the TMDSAS WL longer.
I sent you a DM

Last edited:
TCOM is my only WL with no other acceptances, really banking hard on them for this cycle 🥲

Reactions: 1 users
Let's join hands together for the prayer circle everyone <3

Reactions: 8 users
Will they be announcing any movement on the weekend or should we consider this the final day for those holding a TX A?

has there not been any IS movement for TCOM yet?
I haven't heard of any WL movement at all other than almot's on here, r/osteopathic, or r/premed, but it's also possible people have been getting off WL and not sharing online?

Will they be announcing any movement on the weekend or should we consider this the final day for those holding a TX A?
Wysdoc's comment (below) makes me think that we probably won't see WL movement outside of regular business hours. I'm not 100% sure on that though, if anyone has any other insight.
[Waitlist movement] is intentional and involves direct action by the admissions committee members. This doesn’t mean they have to meet every time a vacancy is created, but it isn’t a computer based action.

Does anyone know if the May 15th deadline for those on the waitlist, but holding other Texas acceptances applies to deferred admissions?