2021-2022 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I’m a 4th year at KYCOM. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out or post on here

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! I’m a 4th year at KYCOM. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out or post on here

Hi, thanks for doing this! I was wondering if you could speak to the culture and diversity of your fellow students. My goals align very closely with KYCOM’s mission fit, but as someone who’s never lived in a rural place, I’m curious about how you like it, and how everyone in the class gets along

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thanks for doing this! I was wondering if you could speak to the culture and diversity of your fellow students. My goals align very closely with KYCOM’s mission fit, but as someone who’s never lived in a rural place, I’m curious about how you like it, and how everyone in the class gets along
Hi there:) I’ll be honest in that KYCOM is in the middle of a very white area. Having said that, I feel like we truly support and care about each other regardless of background, ethnicity, religion, or sexuality. We have students from a variety of backgrounds but I do wish we had a little more. We have Pride week, BLM protests etc. We want everyone to feel welcome and I have seen the same from the community. This is something that I honestly did not think about coming to the area and was pleasantly surprised by the reactions I have seen. I am originally from Louisville KY which is a pretty big city. Not claiming to be Chicago or NYC by any means lol but much bigger than Pikeville and I fell in love with the little town here. There isn’t a ton to do or a variety of places to go, but it was perfect for what I needed to accomplish and the scenery is well, serene:) Tons of outdoor activities and a small amount of shopping. The only 2 things I wish we had are closer access to a bigger city with more options and an airport that has commercial flights. The people here you can’t beat and the classes get along pretty well but everyone has their smaller groups they study with. The one thing I like most about KYCOM is that we are not competitive with each other. We all want to succeed and want each other to as well. It really is more of a family. Hope that helps! Feel free to message me any time

Reactions: 2 users
Hi there:) I’ll be honest in that KYCOM is in the middle of a very white area. Having said that, I feel like we truly support and care about each other regardless of background, ethnicity, religion, or sexuality. We have students from a variety of backgrounds but I do wish we had a little more. We have Pride week, BLM protests etc. We want everyone to feel welcome and I have seen the same from the community. This is something that I honestly did not think about coming to the area and was pleasantly surprised by the reactions I have seen. I am originally from Louisville KY which is a pretty big city. Not claiming to be Chicago or NYC by any means lol but much bigger than Pikeville and I fell in love with the little town here. There isn’t a ton to do or a variety of places to go, but it was perfect for what I needed to accomplish and the scenery is well, serene:) Tons of outdoor activities and a small amount of shopping. The only 2 things I wish we had are closer access to a bigger city with more options and an airport that has commercial flights. The people here you can’t beat and the classes get along pretty well but everyone has their smaller groups they study with. The one thing I like most about KYCOM is that we are not competitive with each other. We all want to succeed and want each other to as well. It really is more of a family. Hope that helps! Feel free to message me any time

What a lovely environment — and exactly what I’m looking for! Fingers crossed KYCOM likes me back this app cycle :)

Very awesome! Haven't heard of many secondaries yet from KYCOM, hopefully, many roll out soon!
I absolutely believe more will be coming soon based on last years thread! Honestly, LMU-DCOM and KYCOM are the two schools I am most interested in because I have lived in rural communities for most of my life and feel comfortable in the environments. 🤞

Members don't see this ad :)
I absolutely believe more will be coming soon based on last years thread! Honestly, LMU-DCOM and KYCOM are the two schools I am most interested in because I have lived in rural communities for most of my life and feel comfortable in the environments. 🤞
That might be it! They might be sending secondaries to students from their respective regions? Either way, keeping my fingers crossed for a successful cycle for you!

If you are reapplying, Make sure your essays and personal statements are different! They pull up the past ones (just FYI)

Reactions: 1 users
If you are reapplying, Make sure your essays and personal statements are different! They pull up the past ones (just FYI)
I am a reapplicant and my essay and personal statements are different but so are my experiences!

Does this schools accept 498 MCAT

When emailing admissions in the past, they specified a 3.2/498 is “competitive.” Unsure if that’s the minimum or if that’s what they prefer to see, but I assume since the average is a 500, you should shoot your shot

When emailing admissions in the past, they specified a 3.2/498 is “competitive.” Unsure if that’s the minimum or if that’s what they prefer to see, but I assume since the average is a 500, you should shoot your shot
The 3.2 is a little low from what I would say is competitive but KYCOM is notorious for looking at the whole person. They look for students who have shown they have a passion for medicine and understand that not everyone had an easy path. When it comes to GPA they can overlook a bad semester but you need to be able to explain it in your personal statement especially if it included science classes. Be upfront but take the blame, dont pawn it off on a bad professor, explain the circumstance and what you learned from it. Mostly they want to know you have the ability to accept it and implement change. The same is true of the MCAT. If you took the MCAT and failed, what did you do differently the second time and what you learned from the experience. When I applied (many moons ago lol) I was from KY, had a 496 MCAT, was a non-traditional student (I’m older with a different career prior to medicine) and had a 3.5 GPA, and wanted family medicine (which I’m proud to say is still the case). So make sure that you have more positives to outweigh any flags:) Hope that helps

I also found out the other day that KYCOM had a 100% placement rate for residency for this past year:) Just wanted to let you all know.

The 3.2 is a little low from what I would say is competitive but KYCOM is notorious for looking at the whole person. They look for students who have shown they have a passion for medicine and understand that not everyone had an easy path. When it comes to GPA they can overlook a bad semester but you need to be able to explain it in your personal statement especially if it included science classes. Be upfront but take the blame, dont pawn it off on a bad professor, explain the circumstance and what you learned from it. Mostly they want to know you have the ability to accept it and implement change. The same is true of the MCAT. If you took the MCAT and failed, what did you do differently the second time and what you learned from the experience. When I applied (many moons ago lol) I was from KY, had a 496 MCAT, was a non-traditional student (I’m older with a different career prior to medicine) and had a 3.5 GPA, and wanted family medicine (which I’m proud to say is still the case). So make sure that you have more positives to outweigh any flags:) Hope that helps
I thought it was discouraged from taking about in your PS and was meant for secondaries? And even interviews?

I thought it was discouraged from taking about in your PS and was meant for secondaries? And even interviews?
Not from my experience. When they see your file all they have is what you give them. From there they decide if they want to offer you a secondary. So it’s best to address it a little so they can give you a chance. If they see that you don’t have the grades or the scores that others do, you need to say something that will encourage them to give you a chance and something that makes them want to get to know you. Not addressing it in your personal statement is okay, but it will get asked about and if you can be upfront and give them a reason to overlook it and send you a secondary that will help you out a lot. You don’t have to get into it in-depth but you should address it. Give them a reason to dismiss it and want to meet you. Depending on the reason you can work it into a great Segway on why it led you to this path.

Did anyone else get an additional application complete email today?

What are the secondary prompts? I am pre-writing and I see two on some sites, but here someone mentioned there is only one?

I submitted my secondary on June 26th, but it's still not marked complete. Says one of my LORs is missing, but it's been submitted to AACOMAS since June 25th..is this a normal waiting period or should I talk to someone about this?

I submitted my secondary on June 26th, but it's still not marked complete. Says one of my LORs is missing, but it's been submitted to AACOMAS since June 25th..is this a normal waiting period or should I talk to someone about this?
I would email Mike Kennedy at the school. He’s in admissions

Anyone know when interview invites typically get sent for in state?

Just got a secondary. I see that the welcome page of secondary portal includes: Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician (500 words or less). in their statement of purpose essay but when I go to the statement of purpose section, it is not included. So, do I answer this in the 500 word essay about DO or no?

Just got a secondary. I see that the welcome page of secondary portal includes: Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician (500 words or less). in their statement of purpose essay but when I go to the statement of purpose section, it is not included. So, do I answer this in the 500 word essay about DO or no?
I only answered what the actual prompt mentioned to be consistent

It looks like it is first year orientation this week.

Hey all, super random post- I’m a new attending, and moved to pikeville to work at PMC. I’m 32, wife is same age, and we have a 4 year old and one on the way. We are trying to meet people as we don’t know anyone here. Would love to connect for a beer or if anyone has spouses who are also new to Pikeville.

Last edited: