2021-2022 South Carolina, Greenville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @ftrdr2021 for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 South Carolina, Greenville Secondary Essay Prompts:
ALL PROMPTS ARE 5000 CHARACTER LIMITS OTHERWISE NOTED

Academic History
1c: If you are a re-applicant, what have you engaged in and/or accomplished to strengthen your candidacy? (If not applicable, please write N/A)

2: If you are not accepted to medical school for the upcoming academic year, what are your plans?

5: Please briefly describe circumstances regarding any courses with a grade less than a B minus, or any course withdrawals. Additionally, please describe the circumstances if you took any required courses as Pass/Fail rather than graded due to COVID-19, including if you had a choice to take as graded or pass/fail and the context of that decision. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

6: If you are currently participating in an academic program, please outline intended coursework for the academic year. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

7: If you do not expect to spend this academic year in school, please explain how you intend to use this time. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Personal Information
1: Please provide any information regarding hardships that you have overcome. You may wish to include any past achievements, experiences, challenges, family or personal circumstances, interests, etc. that you believe would bring added value and diversity to the learning community at UofSC School of Medicine Greenville.

2: If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or other interests or connections do you have to the state? (If not applicable, please write N/A)

3: Is there any additional information you would like the Admissions Committee to consider that has not been previously addressed? (If not applicable, please write N/A)

4: Why have you chosen to apply to UofSC School of Medicine Greenville and how do you think your education at UofSCSOM Greenville will prepare you to become a physician in the future?

Essays
Please address the following questions. Each essay should be 500 words or less (either type or copy and paste into the text box):

Essay 1: How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your decision to attend medical school? What did you learn about yourself during this unprecedented pandemic? Comment also on how the pandemic contributed to your understanding of the challenges and rewards of caring for critically ill patients who may themselves represent a risk to your own health as well as that of your family.

Essay 2: How do you define community? What role should physicians have in communities in which we live?

Question 7: Are there any additional aspects of your personal background or identity that you feel are important to share with the Admissions Committee? Examples might include barriers to access educational opportunities; economically disadvantaged status; or identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. 3000 characters

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In-state secondary received just now

Does anybody know how it works to qualify for IS tuition as an OOS applicant? It says on their website that most OOS will qualify for IS tuition after the first year but doesnt say anything about what you would need to do for that.

I got the secondary today. I am a reapp but did not apply to this school. Do I answer the reapp questions about what I did to improve my app and what I am doing during the gap year?

Does anybody know how it works to qualify for IS tuition as an OOS applicant? It says on their website that most OOS will qualify for IS tuition after the first year but doesnt say anything about what you would need to do for that.
Probably just live in the state while you’re going to school, file taxes there, get an SC driver’s license. I imagine it wouldn’t be too hard.

Academic History

Question 1c: If you are a re-applicant, what have you engaged in and/or accomplished to strengthen your candidacy? (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 2: If you are not accepted to medical school for the upcoming academic year, what are your plans?

Question 5: Please briefly describe circumstances regarding any courses with a grade less than a B minus, or any course withdrawals. Additionally, please describe the circumstances if you took any required courses as Pass/Fail rather than graded due to COVID-19, including if you had a choice to take as graded or pass/fail and the context of that decision. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 6: If you are currently participating in an academic program, please outline intended coursework for the academic year. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 7: If you do not expect to spend this academic year in school, please explain how you intend to use this time. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Personal Information

Question 1: Please provide any information regarding hardships that you have overcome. You may wish to include any past achievements, experiences, challenges, family or personal circumstances, interests, etc. that you believe would bring added value and diversity to the learning community at UofSC School of Medicine Greenville.

Question 2: If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or other interests or connections do you have to the state? (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 3: Is there any additional information you would like the Admissions Committee to consider that has not been previously addressed? (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 4: Why have you chosen to apply to UofSC School of Medicine Greenville and how do you think your education at UofSCSOM Greenville will prepare you to become a physician in the future?

Essays
Please address the following questions. Each essay should be 500 words or less (either type or copy and paste into the text box):

Essay 1: How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your decision to attend medical school? What did you learn about yourself during this unprecedented pandemic? Comment also on how the pandemic contributed to your understanding of the challenges and rewards of caring for critically ill patients who may themselves represent a risk to your own health as well as that of your family.
***Essay Question 2*** How do you define community? What role should physicians have in communities in which we live?

Question 7: Are there any additional aspects of your personal background or identity that you feel are important to share with the Admissions Committee? Examples might include barriers to access educational opportunities; economically disadvantaged status; or identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. 3000 characters

@wysdoc

In all seriousness though, this secondary is kind of a beast lol, good luck everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post the secondary? :)
Question 1: Did you apply to an MD or DO program during any previous academic year?

Question 1a: If you previously applied, were you interviewed?

Question 1b: If you interviewed, were you placed on a wait list?

Question 1c: If you are a re-applicant, what have you engaged in and/or accomplished to strengthen your candidacy? (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 2: If you are not accepted to medical school for the upcoming academic year, what are your plans?

Question 3: Are you currently, or have you ever been subject to disciplinary action at a college or professional school that did not result in academic probation or dismissal?

Question 3a: If you answered ‘Yes’ to Question 3, please provide a brief description. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 4: Have you ever been placed on academic probation at or dismissed from a college or professional school?

Question 4a: If you answered ‘Yes’ to Question 4, please provide an explanation of the event and final outcome. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 5: Please briefly describe circumstances regarding any courses with a grade less than a B minus, or any course withdrawals. Additionally, please describe the circumstances if you took any required courses as Pass/Fail rather than graded due to COVID-19, including if you had a choice to take as graded or pass/fail and the context of that decision. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 6: If you are currently participating in an academic program, please outline intended coursework for the academic year. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 7: If you do not expect to spend this academic year in school, please explain how you intend to use this time. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Activities, Service, Research​

Question 1: Please describe any new or additional medically related employment, volunteer activities or observation experiences not included in your AMCAS application. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 2: Please describe any new or additional community service or volunteer activities not included in your AMCAS application. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 3: Please describe any new or additional research or leadership experiences not included in your AMCAS application. (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 4: Have you participated in the UofSC School of Medicine Greenville Medical Experience Academy (MedEx)?

Personal Information 5000 characters​

Question 1: Please provide any information regarding adversity that you have experienced and how you overcame this adversity. You may wish to include any past achievements, experiences, challenges, family or personal circumstances, interests, etc. that you believe would bring added value and diversity to the learning community at UofSC School of Medicine Greenville.

Question 2: If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or other interests or connections do you have to the state? (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 3: Is there any additional information you would like the Admissions Committee to consider that has not been previously addressed? (If not applicable, please write N/A)

Question 4: Why have you chosen to apply to UofSC School of Medicine Greenville and how do you think your education at UofSCSOM Greenville will prepare you to become a physician in the future?

Essays​

***Essay Question 1*** How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your decision to attend medical school? What did you learn about yourself during this unprecedented pandemic? Comment also on how the pandemic contributed to your understanding of the challenges and rewards of caring for critically ill patients who may themselves represent a risk to your own health as well as that of your family.

***Essay Question 2*** How do you define community? What role should physicians have in communities in which we live?

Then there are a bunch of demographics questions where the only one like an essay is this next one

Question 7: Are there any additional aspects of your personal background or identity that you feel are important to share with the Admissions Committee? Examples might include barriers to access educational opportunities; economically disadvantaged status; or identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. (3000 characters)

Academic History

Personal Information

Question 1: Please provide any information regarding hardships that you have overcome. You may wish to include any past achievements, experiences, challenges, family or personal circumstances, interests, etc. that you believe would bring added value and diversity to the learning community at UofSC School of Medicine Greenville.

Essays

@wysdoc

In all seriousness though, this secondary is kind of a beast lol, good luck everyone.
Crazy that you and I posted this at the exact same moment lol

Reactions: 1 user
Question 2: If you are not accepted to medical school for the upcoming academic year, what are your plans? 5000 characters

Question 7: If you do not expect to spend this academic year in school, please explain how you intend to use this time. (If not applicable, please write N/A) 5000 characters

Are they not the same question? How are people approaching these 2 they seem the same to me.

Question 2: If you are not accepted to medical school for the upcoming academic year, what are your plans? 5000 characters

Question 7: If you do not expect to spend this academic year in school, please explain how you intend to use this time. (If not applicable, please write N/A) 5000 characters

Are they not the same question? How are people approaching these 2 they seem the same to me.
I answered Q2 as if I didn’t get into school during this cycle, like what I’d do to improve my app for a reapp. And Q7 I talked about what I’m doing during the app cycle this year.

This is one of the more difficult applications I have done so far😤

Reactions: 2 users
Is it worth completing the secondary if I have zero ties to South Carolina? Not sure how OOS friendly they are...

Is it worth completing the secondary if I have zero ties to South Carolina? Not sure how OOS friendly they are...
I completed as an OOS with zero ties. I think they accept up to 30% from OOS and in 2020 data showed more like 40%. If you like the school enough and think you’re a good fit then I’d say go for it!

Current student here!
They help make sure you meet all necessary requirements to be viewed as in-state by the start of your second year. License, lease, etc. It's not too hard, and our awesome financial guy (Casey) will guide you through it if you have to do this.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, this is among the hardest secondaries I have seen. How many characters did you guys use?

Reactions: 1 users
So, I am a reapplicant but not to this program since I did not apply last cycle. Do I answer number 1c? (Question 1c: If you are a re-applicant, what have you engaged in and/or accomplished to strengthen your candidacy? (If not applicable, please write N/A))

For 1 a and 1 b it refers to just reapplicant in general so I answered those.

Hi guys! I offered my guidance last year and was taken up on it by quite a few, so I wanted to do so again this year. I am a current second year at USCSOMG and glad to offer any insight I can for applications in general, applying here, and going to school here. I won't always have an answer for you but will do my best! Please feel free to ask any questions directly on this page that would benefit others, or message me privately if it pertains really only to your app.
This process is long and hard, but so rewarding at the end. Best of luck everybody!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys! I offered my guidance last year and was taken up on it by quite a few, so I wanted to do so again this year. I am a current second year at USCSOMG and glad to offer any insight I can for applications in general, applying here, and going to school here. I won't always have an answer for you but will do my best! Please feel free to ask any questions directly on this page that would benefit others, or message me privately if it pertains really only to your app.
This process is long and hard, but so rewarding at the end. Best of luck everybody!
Hey, thanks for offering! I'm an OOS applicant and something that caught my eye about this program is the EMT cert that students get in their first year and then work one shift a month in the field. How has that experience been? It seems like a really unique and cool opportunity.

Is anyone that is OOS writing that they have an "interest" in South Carolina for "If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or other interests or connections do you have to the state?" I don't have any ties or even distant relationships but probably could talk about why I would want to live in South Carolina. I'm just not sure if that's viewed as fluff or not.

Is anyone that is OOS writing that they have an "interest" in South Carolina for "If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or other interests or connections do you have to the state?" I don't have any ties or even distant relationships but probably could talk about why I would want to live in South Carolina. I'm just not sure if that's viewed as fluff or not.
I left it blank, personally. I spoke about interests in the "why us."

I did. I talked about the interests around SC

Hey, thanks for offering! I'm an OOS applicant and something that caught my eye about this program is the EMT cert that students get in their first year and then work one shift a month in the field. How has that experience been? It seems like a really unique and cool opportunity.
So because of covid we did our EMT slightly different and had to do it at the end of first year. but this year we will have 3 required EMT shifts (they went to every other month because it does take time from studying). One of those shifts during second year can be the disaster drill day for the new M1 EMTs, which is fun!
It's back to normal now, so it is your first month of school. It's an awesome way to get to know classmates, learn some basics for the year ahead, and get hands on experience in the field. It is so unique and teaches you a lot! Most of our students really enjoy and love it.

Can any current students comment on the interactions with the nursing students on campus?

I got accepted to the school with very few ties and OOS. They take the secondary prompts seriously so please take time to work on them.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students comment on the interactions with the nursing students on campus?
One month in and so far the M1 class hasn't interacted with the nursing students at all. We have been using some of their rooms in the nursing building though. Perhaps upper-classmen can provide more details.

One month in and so far the M1 class hasn't interacted with the nursing students at all. We have been using some of their rooms in the nursing building though. Perhaps upper-classmen can provide more details.
I'm an M2, we don't do things with the nursing school. It's a different program with a different school, the buildings are just connected. Occasionally use each others' buildings but that's it

Does anyone know if the following question is optional? I noticed most of the questions say "If not applicable, please write N/A," but this one doesn't say that and doesn't explicitly say it is optional, so I wasn't sure!

Question 7: Are there any additional aspects of your personal background or identity that you feel are important to share with the Admissions Committee? Examples might include barriers to access educational opportunities; economically disadvantaged status; or identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity.

Does anyone know if the following question is optional? I noticed most of the questions say "If not applicable, please write N/A," but this one doesn't say that and doesn't explicitly say it is optional, so I wasn't sure!

Question 7: Are there any additional aspects of your personal background or identity that you feel are important to share with the Admissions Committee? Examples might include barriers to access educational opportunities; economically disadvantaged status; or identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity.
I believe it’s an optional prompt.

So because of covid we did our EMT slightly different and had to do it at the end of first year. but this year we will have 3 required EMT shifts (they went to every other month because it does take time from studying). One of those shifts during second year can be the disaster drill day for the new M1 EMTs, which is fun!
It's back to normal now, so it is your first month of school. It's an awesome way to get to know classmates, learn some basics for the year ahead, and get hands on experience in the field. It is so unique and teaches you a lot! Most of our students really enjoy and love it.
Hi, I am a nationally certified EMT but have not worked as an EMT. Do you think it would help or hinder my application that I am already EMT certified? Wondering if I should write about this in my secondary? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hi, I am a nationally certified EMT but have not worked as an EMT. Do you think it would help or hinder my application that I am already EMT certified? Wondering if I should write about this in my secondary? Thanks in advance for the advice!
I don't think that would hinder in any way! Several of our classmates came in already certified. I think you can absolutely (and honestly should) write about that experience. You've gotten some amazing hands-on time with patients in the field that you could talk about - that's so valuable for your future. Be thankful and proud!

Hey, I am interviewing with the university soon and had a couple of questions. What are some unique features about the school that you enjoy? What directed your decision to apply and attend the University? Finally, Does the school have a specific mission or training that it focuses on?

When did you get a II? Where you ED or RD?
Hey, I am interviewing with the university soon and had a couple of questions. What are some unique features about the school that you enjoy? What directed your decision to apply and attend the University? Finally, Does the school have a specific mission or training that it focuses on?