2021-2022 South Dakota (Sanford)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @amcasQT for sharing this year's questions:

2021-2022 South Dakota (Sanford) Secondary Essay Questions:

1. Given the mission statement of the school, please explain how your experiences and long term goals would help meet the mission. (1500 characters)
2. Given the diversity statement of the school, explain how your background and experiences with diversity will bring value to the school. (1500 characters)
3. Describe how your experiences in health care or social care activities will help you become a good physician. (1500 characters)
4. Briefly describe a crisis or significant challenge in your life, how you have worked through the crisis or challenge, and what you have learned from this experience. (1500 characters)
5. What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to a medical school this year or after several applications? (1500 characters)
6. Please use this space to update the information contained on your AMCAS application (i.e. grades in recent courses; alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation; additions to your extracurricular activities) or anything else you want the committee to know. (1500 characters)
7. For repeat applicants only. Since your last application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Please note any relevant academic, employment, clinical and personal experience. (1500 characters)
8. For non-South Dakota residents applying to the regular MD program - please describe your ties to South Dakota. (1500 characters)
9. Please share and explain any disruptions/hardships in your academic, volunteer, work, and/or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider. (5000 characters)
10. Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the corona virus (COVID-19) public health crisis. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; how the pandemic has affected your outlook on the role of medicine. (5000 characters)
11. Knowledge and skill are crucial, but why should a physician be kind? (5000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
anyone receive a secondary??
No and I haven't even received any sort of acknowledgement about if they received my primary. I submitted my verified app 6/30. I emailed the school today to check in on the situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
No and I haven't even received any sort of acknowledgement about if they received my primary. I submitted my verified app 6/30. I emailed the school today to check in on the situation.

Gotcha! Can you comment if you hear anything from them?

Reactions: 3 users
Email response received today: "Thank you for reaching out to the Sanford School of Medicine, I am happy to help answer any questions you may have. As for AMCAS verifying the application they will let you know about that. As for us we will start reviewing for secondary applications hopefully in the next week, we just matriculated our class of 2025."

Reactions: 2 users
SECONDARY QUESTIONS RECEIVED 8/4 (@wysdoc)
-Given the mission statement of the school, please explain how your experiences and long term goals would help meet the mission. (1500 characters)
-Given the diversity statement of the school, explain how your background and experiences with diversity will bring value to the school. (1500 characters)
-Describe how your experiences in health care or social care activities will help you become a good physician. (1500 characters)
-Briefly describe a crisis or significant challenge in your life, how you have worked through the crisis or challenge, and what you have learned from this experience. (1500 characters)
-What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to a medical school this year or after several applications? (1500 characters)
-Please use this space to update the information contained on your AMCAS application (i.e. grades in recent courses; alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation; additions to your extracurricular activities) or anything else you want the committee to know. (1500 characters)
-For repeat applicants only. Since your last application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Please note any relevant academic, employment, clinical and personal experience. (1500 characters)
-For non-South Dakota residents applying to the regular MD program - please describe your ties to South Dakota. (1500 characters)
-Please share and explain any disruptions/hardships in your academic, volunteer, work, and/or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider. (5000 characters)
-Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the corona virus (COVID-19) public health crisis. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; how the pandemic has affected your outlook on the role of medicine. (5000 characters)
-Knowledge and skill are crucial, but why should a physician be kind? (5000 characters)

Reactions: 1 users
Okay everyone, USD has been one of my top schools for my previous two application cycles. I have fine tuned my app upon their guidance for two years now. I am posting this now so I can reference it upon being offered admission to their program this year (hopefully predicting a successful cycle). Best of luck to every one... also this SDN forum is usually pretty dry, let's try to get it to at least two pages this year XD

I am sitting here with anxiety, really regretting changing my residency to North Dakota 4 years ago lol Hoping my instate ties are enough to at least get me an II.

Yeah I am hopeful to get in there this year as well. It is my first time applying so hopefully it goes well! I have put a lot of time and effort into the classes that I took and preparing for everything else!

Secondary is all in and fee is paid, hoping they have their meetings soon to send out the first round of interview invites!

I am sitting here with anxiety, really regretting changing my residency to North Dakota 4 years ago lol Hoping my instate ties are enough to at least get me an II.
Were you previously a resident of SD? When you sent in the secondary did they send you to a "ties review committee"?

One thing, they did say it would be 4-6 weeks for total review of the app which actually is pretty good comparably. (Currently in week two, wish it would go faster)

One thing, they did say it would be 4-6 weeks for total review of the app which actually is pretty good comparably. (Currently in week two, wish it would go faster)
I am right there with you. I would not be mad at all if the process was faster haha. Although I need to finish the interview book about medical school interviews haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, the "waiting game" for the whole medical school admissions process is difficult.

A new thing I noticed for this application cycle is USD stated interviews were starting in September and going through January. For previous cycles interviews didn't start until October.

T minus 9 days
hype train GIF

Big day is tomorrow, praying everyone has peace, see some of you on the zoom call!

Any recent interview invites after Sep. 1st?

How did the interviews go for everyone?
I feel like they went alright, felt a tiny bit cookie cutter, but was able to ask some good questions of them and had good discussion. Totally rambled on a question though and my interviewer got a little confused, but it was a great experience overall from their end, very well presented school and super pumped to maybe go there.

When did the send the Zoom links? I have had my interview day schedule for a while but I still haven’t gotten my zoom links for the morning and afternoon sessions

Hi friends
Good luck to those of you interviewing this weekend!
How are the ones of you that have already interviewed and waiting, hanging in there?

Hi friends
Good luck to those of you interviewing this weekend!
How are the ones of you that have already interviewed and waiting, hanging in there?
Yes! Hanging in there and waiting as patiently as I can! How did the interview go on the 16th?

I am assuming we won’t hear until Monday

Same here. Do you happen to know the chances of acceptance with pending or is it pretty much a death sentence?

I heard back and got accepted! Sorry for you guys that have to wait though with the pending status

May the odds be in everyone's favor who was not accepted during first review and who has interviewed since during the committee review this weekend!