2021-2022 UTMB, Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @medicallyblonde1010 for sharing the secondary prompts.

2021-2022 UTMB Secondary Essay Prompts (the 3rd question is different from last year)
1. Describe, as best you can, your vision for your future in terms of where you want to live and how you want to practice medicine. Is there any particular area or specialty that appeals to you? (300 words)

2. Describe, if relevant, circumstances in your life that represent a hardship (e.g. financial difficulties, illness, educational disadvantage). How have these circumstances impacted you, and how do you believe they will impact your practice of medicine? (300 words)

3. What does health equity mean to you? How will you as a physician promote health equity and foster diversity and inclusion? (300 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Texas Medical Branch-Galveston Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Help! Does UTMB require Duet? I emailed for clarification, but I'm just more confused :/

Email from UTMB SOM Admissions 05/27: "CASPer is required before a possible interview invitation. Duet is recommended, but not required."

Website says: "All applicants applying to the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston are required to complete both the CASPer and Duet assessments via the Altus Suite. Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility. Applicants must only complete Casper and Duet from the Altus Suite to complete their application to the School of Medicine."

Help! Does UTMB require Duet? I emailed for clarification, but I'm just more confused :/

Email from UTMB SOM Admissions 05/27: "CASPer is required before a possible interview invitation. Duet is recommended, but not required."

Website says: "All applicants applying to the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston are required to complete both the CASPer and Duet assessments via the Altus Suite. Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility. Applicants must only complete Casper and Duet from the Altus Suite to complete their application to the School of Medicine."
Sounds like UTMB is getting testy!

This website doesnt think this is a good test or that is how I interpret. Based on the sections, I cant see how it can be designed specific to a school since the sections should be about same for all medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)

@txgal97 My recommendation is to complete Duet.
UTMB and Long “strongly recommend” you do it, and A&M requires it.
Only send Duet results to the schools who ask for it.

What's your recommendation on completing Snapshot as well?

Unfortunately I think that you can't pick and choose which schools receive Duet and Snapshot, it gets sent to all schools you are sending the Altus Suite results to (this includes all your CASPer schools).

Does anyone know if they need your LORs before they send an invite for the secondary?

Does this school also screen for stats before secondaries?

Secondary received on 5/24:

Describe, as best you can, your vision for your future in terms of where you want to live and how you want to practice medicine. Is there any particular area or specialty that appeals to you?

Describe, if relevant, circumstances in your life that represent a hardship (e.g. financial difficulties, illness, educational disadvantage). How have these circumstances impacted you, and how do you believe they will impact your practice of medicine?

What does health equity mean to you? How will you as a physician promote health equity and foster diversity and inclusion?

Apologies for the late update, between work and everything else this completely slipped my mind! They require CASPer to be complete.

Reactions: 1 users
Is Duet required before a possible interview invitation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed by CASPer on May 20th. How will that work? Could I register for Duet separately
You register for the entire Altus Suite and must complete Duet and Snapshot 10 days after CASPer or before. If you did not I would contact the company as soon as you can!

Does UTMB Galveston Med School accept community college credit? Cause im planning to take some summer classes at San jac but im not sure if they do or not. Anyone have experience with this?

Does UTMB Galveston Med School accept community college credit? Cause im planning to take some summer classes at San jac but im not sure if they do or not. Anyone have experience with this?
Yes they do. Are you planning to take pre-reqs there, or other classes for your degree (like English, history, etc.?)

Yes they do. Are you planning to take pre-reqs there, or other classes for your degree (like English, history, etc.?)
Just like core classes like Texas Gov, pre-cal etc. The major requirements im doing at my university: UH clear lake

Just like core classes like Texas Gov, pre-cal etc. The major requirements im doing at my university: UH clear lake
The required biology, chemistry, physics and math classes should be taken in the university to show that you can handle university classes. The required graduation classes for the university like Texas Gov and pre calc should fine from a community college.

Did any of yall do it that way, or did yall just take all of them at your main college

I took TX. gov, history and English reqs at CC
When you applied do med schools look at the grade that you recieve in the classes at community college since its being transferred to your main institution? or is it like AP credit where they just see that you passed or not.
Thanks

When you applied do med schools look at the grade that you recieve in the classes at community college since its being transferred to your main institution? or is it like AP credit where they just see that you passed or not.
Thanks
All community college classes taken for credit count for a grade and the transcripts need to be submitted to medical schools.

Thanks

Usually, in order for it to even count for credit at your institution, you have to take it for a grade. And of course, if it is a pre-med req then you definitely need to have a grade for it. Also, these grades (even if taken at a community college) get counted towards the overall GPA when you input it into your TMDSAS application. As someone mentioned before, it's recommended you take pre-med reqs at a 4-year institution.

At your current school, the community college credits aren't counted towards your GPA but they still require a grade for it to count as a completed req. For med school apps however, ALL grades regardless of where you have taken them are included in the GPA calculations.

Got it.
Thanks Yall

Is it better to take Molecular Biology, Cellular Physiology or Pathophysiology for Med School? Im planning to only take 1 cause only 1 is required so i was wondering.

Did anyone got off waitlist for utmb medical for 2021 ?

I completed by CASPer on May 20th. How will that work? Could I register for Duet separately
Were you able to go back & take the Duet later, @Pmvj13 ?
At first Altus site told everyone to do things within 10 days of the CASPer part. I think they softened their stance on that and are allowing it to be done at any time, but you might have to message them. I'm interested to hear what the applicant's experience with this is.
A person can also do the Duet after registering for CASPer but before taking it.

Were you able to go back & take the Duet later, @Pmvj13 ?
At first Altus site told everyone to do things within 10 days of the CASPer part. I think they softened their stance on that and are allowing it to be done at any time, but you might have to message them. I'm interested to hear what the applicant's experience with this is.
A person can also do the Duet after registering for CASPer but before taking it.
I am able to complete Duet. Thank you

• Describe, as best you can, your vision for your future in terms of where you want to live and how you want to practice medicine. Is there any particular area or specialty that appeals to you? (300 words)

How are we supposed to answer this question? I wouldn't mind settling in one of the big cities in Texas (Houston, Dallas, or SanAn), but I feel like saying that to Galveston would be weird. Any advice on answering this question?

• Describe, as best you can, your vision for your future in terms of where you want to live and how you want to practice medicine. Is there any particular area or specialty that appeals to you? (300 words)

How are we supposed to answer this question? I wouldn't mind settling in one of the big cities in Texas (Houston, Dallas, or SanAn), but I feel like saying that to Galveston would be weird. Any advice on answering this question?
i dont think Galveston needs any more doctors and that is not what the question is asking.

Start with how and what you want practice. Think about whether you want to practice in academic, public vs private, group practice, individual setting, urban, suburban, rural, disadvantaged, international location, etc. No one expects you to work for free but no one expects you to practice with the sole purpose of making money. You are expected to take care of people and if you start there you get the rest of your answer.

I am able to complete Duet. Thank you
When you took the Duet later, Did you originally choose and pay for all of the schools you were paying for? Or did you update your schools list and duet and snapshot came up under the schools that require it? I do not see an option to take them outside of CASPER registration.

When you took the Duet later, Did you originally choose and pay for all of the schools you were paying for? Or did you update your schools list and duet and snapshot came up under the schools that require it? I do not see an option to take them outside of CASPER registration.
I didn’t do snapshot only Duet. Updated school list

Describe, as best you can, your vision for your future in terms of where you want to live and how you want to practice medicine. Is there any particular area or specialty that appeals to you?

Describe, if relevant, circumstances in your life that represent a hardship (e.g. financial difficulties, illness, educational disadvantage). How have these circumstances impacted you, and how do you believe they will impact your practice of medicine?

What does health equity mean to you? How will you as a physician promote health equity and foster diversity and inclusion?

Apologies for the late update, between work and everything else this completely slipped my mind! They require CASPer to be complete.

Is the second question about hardships required or optional? I don't really have a substantial financial, medical or educational disadvantage.

I got an email from UTMB saying my application is complete, but it has a line that says when they receive CASPer and MCAT it will be sent to the adcoms for review. I'm almost certain both were delivered already, so I'm wondering if I should reach out to them to check on that or if that's just a line explaining what's next regardless of if they have your stuff. Anyone have any insight, as in will my portal say "in review" rather than complete like it does currently?

I got an email from UTMB saying my application is complete, but it has a line that says when they receive CASPer and MCAT it will be sent to the adcoms for review. I'm almost certain both were delivered already, so I'm wondering if I should reach out to them to check on that or if that's just a line explaining what's next regardless of if they have your stuff. Anyone have any insight, as in will my portal say "in review" rather than complete like it does currently?
I got that same email. My MCAT score is submitted for sure. There is a chance that the Casper results have not been sent through yet. I know McGovern uses the same ZAP portal for secondaries and they have not received my Casper results yet, so it makes me think UTMB hasn't either.

I got that same email. My MCAT score is submitted for sure. There is a chance that the Casper results have not been sent through yet. I know McGovern uses the same ZAP portal for secondaries and they have not received my Casper results yet, so it makes me think UTMB hasn't either.
Look, guys, they don't have a personalized standard email for every possible situation of an applicant.
They send this out to nudge those who might have possibly not:
1) remembered to release their MCAT scores to TMDSAS
or
2) taken the CASPer test yet.

Inhale, exhale, this process takes up to a year!

I'd check your portal for the most up to date information about your status. I also got the email saying they'll review the app once Casper and MCAT is received, but my status says 'your application is ready' so I guess it's just a waiting game now

For prompt 3, what does it mean when it asks how will we foster diversity and inclusion? does that mean towards other healthcare staff or patients or both? sorry if its a dumb question

Did ya'll end up putting N/A for the second prompt if you didn't think the prompt applied to you? Or does it allow you to submit without now?

I'm IS, mid-510s MCAT, 3.96 GPA, completed 6/30
Is UTMB doing any interviews in-person? I think I read somewhere that they had an option to do either.

If you're willing to share, that'd be amazing. Congratulations on the II! Knock 'em dead

Is UTMB doing any interviews in-person? I think I read somewhere that they had an option to do either.

If you're willing to share, that'd be amazing. Congratulations on the II! Knock 'em dead

No it's not or at least I don't have the option to.

Please select one date from the three dates provided in the AMP calendar. The interview day program consists of a welcome, curriculum presentation, Curriculum Dean Q&A, a virtual campus tour, a student panel, and multiple mini interviews (MMI). The program will last from 8am-4pm.

We ask that you dress professionally as if you were interviewing in person. If difficulties arise or an interviewer does not appear, please notify our Admissions office immediately to resolve the issue.