2021-2022 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for your interest in the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine and submitting your application materials. Upon initial review, your science GPA score is below WVSOM’s competitive level. Enrollment in additional science coursework is recommended to improve your science GPA.

Please make sure to submit updated transcripts for any coursework through AACOMAS. You may submit academic updates during the following periods:

December 15, 2021 – February 16, 2022
March 14, 2022 – April 11, 2022

just received this email.....is this a rejection?

Reads to me more as a hold/"send us an update when your sGPA is better if you want to be considered"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your interest in the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine and submitting your application materials. Upon initial review, your science GPA score is below WVSOM’s competitive level. Enrollment in additional science coursework is recommended to improve your science GPA.

Please make sure to submit updated transcripts for any coursework through AACOMAS. You may submit academic updates during the following periods:

December 15, 2021 – February 16, 2022
March 14, 2022 – April 11, 2022

just received this email.....is this a rejection?
It’s saying that they want to see improvements before they move forward this cycle. Were you extended a secondary previously this cycle?

Reads to me more as a hold/"send us an update when your sGPA is better if you want to be considered"

It’s saying that they want to see improvements before they move forward this cycle. Were you extended a secondary previously this cycle?
yes I submitted my secondary a few weeks ago! I have <3.2 sGPA but a 4.0 in last 40 credits of upper level science courses

Members don't see this ad :)
yes I submitted my secondary a few weeks ago! I have <3.2 sGPA but a 4.0 in last 40 credits of upper level science courses

I’m sorry friend :( It’s hard when requirements don’t leave room for nuance sometimes

Reactions: 1 user
meep its okay /: I emailed them back to see what they suggest since I already have so many credits from additional degrees
Maybe you should try calling their office? Averaging up can be incredibly challenging, if not impossible at times. Perhaps they may see it differently if you call them and ask.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry to hear about you going through this, I also have a similar story. I was hoping they would do a holistic review but, now I am worried.

I'm sorry to hear about you going through this, I also have a similar story. I was hoping they would do a holistic review but, now I am worried.
I emailed them and if they don’t reply I’m gonna call them sometime this week so I will keep you updated :)

3rd year here on rotations! I’m originally out of state and can answer any questions y’all might have ☺️

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we choose our own rotations?
We have a statewide campus organized into 7 regions, similar to the match when you rank where you’d like to go for 3rd year. You’re then assigned a base hospital based on your list, most people I know got their #1 or 2 pick. In that region you’ll complete all of your core rotations and will indicate what your interests are to your dean at the time. That’s how your schedule will be determined, you will have control over your vacation and elective time of course!

We have a statewide campus organized into 7 regions, similar to the match when you rank where you’d like to go for 3rd year. You’re then assigned a base hospital based on your list, most people I know got their #1 or 2 pick. In that region you’ll complete all of your core rotations and will indicate what your interests are to your dean at the time. That’s how your schedule will be determined, you will have control over your vacation and elective time of course!
That sounds awesome! Are there any rotation sites that are especially popular among the student population or are they all about equal in that regard?

That sounds awesome! Are there any rotation sites that are especially popular among the student population or are they all about equal in that regard
That sounds awesome! Are there any rotation sites that are especially popular among the student population or are they all about equal in that regard?
Each site has a limit, a good chunk of the class ~40 students will go to Charleston. I’m up in the northern panhandle in a much more populated area (vs Lewisburg..) I needed some reprieve after 2 years in a very rural area 😂 but you’ve got lots of options and most people have good things to say about their respective region!

How did you write a strong response to the prompts when the limit is only 500 characters?

Lol I think you are one of their first! Haven't heard anything from anyone else. IS or OOS? And stats if you don't mind!

OOS with no ties, 3.7+/512+! Don't be fooled by the stats though, I do have a couple of (minor) red flags in my app :)

How did you write a strong response to the prompts when the limit is only 500 characters?

I'm not sure if this question was for me or not -- but I have done freelance writing before, so secondaries are right up my alley. My secondaries for WVSOM were less poetic than others because of the character counts, so don't worry about dressing up your prose.

II! OOS, 3.5sgpa, 3.7 ugpa, 3.3 graduate gpa, 507 MCAT, submitted secondary 7/16/21. They are doing in person and virtual interviews and give you options to choose from

This is maybe a silly question but looking at the WVSOM Interview Schedule, do they really interview you for almost 3 hours?? (8:15 AM - 11:15 AM). Any advice on what kind of questions they might ask and how to prepare for it? Thank you!

Also stats wise - OOS (living in bordering state tho), 3.5x cgpa, 3.4x sgpa, 51X MCAT, Secondary submitted 14JUL21

Seeing as the school is giving you the option of in-person or zoom, do many of you plan to go in person? Any feelings on if you choose to do zoom that you may be look down upon?

Also for those with II, did you have a DO letter on file when you submitted?

Seeing as the school is giving you the option of in-person or zoom, do many of you plan to go in person? Any feelings on if you choose to do zoom that you may be look down upon?

Also for those with II, did you have a DO letter on file when you submitted?
I had a DO letter on file when I submitted! Got lucky with finding one to shadow after contacting ~50 doctors in my local area haha

This is maybe a silly question but looking at the WVSOM Interview Schedule, do they really interview you for almost 3 hours?? (8:15 AM - 11:15 AM). Any advice on what kind of questions they might ask and how to prepare for it? Thank you!

Also stats wise - OOS (living in bordering state tho), 3.5x cgpa, 3.4x sgpa, 51X MCAT, Secondary submitted 14JUL21
No there will be other stuff during that time. The actual interview is just 30 minutes and they’ll tell you when during that reserved time period you are going. Info was in the email

No there will be other stuff during that time. The actual interview is just 30 minutes and they’ll tell you when during that reserved time period you are going. Info was in the email
Ah gotcha thank you! I hadn't understood that from the email at first but re-reading it and your explanation makes a lot more sense haha - appreciate the info!

Is there anyone else who is annoyed ASF they took a month to send a secondary invite?
Not really. If anything it could be worse. It could be like PCOM where they haven't sent anything at all yet lol

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone tell me if the DO letter is absolutely required no matter what? Had no opportunity to shadow a DO during COVID. No ones picking up at the school lol

Can someone tell me if the DO letter is absolutely required? No ones picking up at the school lol
According to their website (admissions process page), due to COVID, they're not requiring a DO letter but it's "strongly recommended."

Yes, it looks like they announced the change a couple days ago on twitter.

According to their website (admissions process page), due to COVID, they're not requiring a DO letter but it's "strongly recommended."
Yeah i'm hoping thats the case. Because in an email someone posted earlier they said they needed it :'(

Yeah i'm hoping thats the case. Because in an email someone posted earlier they said they needed it :'(
I think that was me; however, they appeared to have changed their mind a couple days ago.

Reactions: 3 users
If you got an II, has anyone else not heard back confirming their specific interview date yet?