2021-2022 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you have unique extracurriculars?
Not really except for 2. Spent time in the marching band, various positions working with people, worked for a long term care facility as a supervisor which was clinical (mental health treatment plans , skills groups and medication supervision), lots of volunteer work with the unhoused, worked on state level policy implementation as true coordinator of on of our state medical societies which was unique. worked in a pharmacy and worked for my local public health department where I do a ton of vaccinations across both jobs for the pandemic and for flu season. The last two were more recent in the last 6 months. The other ones aren’t super special, but I received awards for my work.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the call! Accepted 9/30, interviewed 9/11

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted Just now! Interviewed 9/11

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also interviewed 9/11 and accepted today! Average stats ~3.6C 3.4S 505, lots of clinical experience & leadership positions!

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an II! Can anyone who has already interviewed tell me if the panel is open file or closed? Thanks!

anyone else from the 9/11 interview still not heard back?

II today, looking forward to seeing everyone on 10/9!

Reactions: 1 user
Got an acceptance through the email status update just now around 615! Nobody called me 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 3 users
Darn, I thought the interview went well, and I really liked the school, so I was hoping for an Acceptance, but I got an email yesterday that I'm on the Alternate list...is that their Waitlist or are there two lists? Did they also send out Rs? (Interviewed 9/11.)

Darn, I thought the interview went well, and I really liked the school, so I was hoping for an Acceptance, but I got an email yesterday that I'm on the Alternate list...is that their Waitlist or are there two lists? Did they also send out Rs? (Interviewed 9/11.)
I was placed on the alternate list during the last cycle, which from what I understand is very similar to a traditional waitlist from other medical programs. There is also a second (and very short) "high ranked" list that they call their "waitlist" that a few users mentioned during the last cycle. If you had been offered a spot on the higher-ranked waitlist, you should be able to see something about it on your offer of alternate status page.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what western's attendance policy was like pre-covid?
Hey! You posted this was a couple weeks ago, but I just saw it and figured I'd give an answer, too.

Pre-covid there were mandatory in-class lectures and labs. It depends on the block how much would be deemed mandatory. It seems things are still getting worked out with the hybrid model, but for now there is mandatory in-person anatomy lab, clinical skills labs, and OMM. There are also mandatory in-person sections of Conference Week (for example, ultrasound work shops). During pre-covid, some conference week sessions were mandatory in-person, but now they will be marked mandatory attendance via live zoom. Currently, we have mandatory online lectures as well via zoom. The number of them depend on the block. General anything in the category of ultrasound or diversity, equity, and inclusion is considered mandatory, with a few others randomly designated that way - like some OMM lectures and some guest lectures. Exams pre-covid were all in-person (which I actually like). Didactic exams were in-person the first couple weeks of school, but then went to at-home once cases started picking up. Standardized patient encounters and OMM practicals are in person.

There are ways to get excused absences, so if you are attending a wedding, conference, funeral, are ill, etc, you can make usually make it work.

I was placed on the alternate list during the last cycle, which from what I understand is very similar to a traditional waitlist from other medical programs. There is also a second (and very short) "high ranked" list that they call their "waitlist" that a few users mentioned during the last cycle. If you had been offered a spot on the higher-ranked waitlist, you should be able to see something about it on your offer of alternate status page.
Thx!

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Accepted today! Interviewed end of September. Good luck to those still waiting to find out!

Does anyone know the odds of getting off the alternate list? <---I'm guessing this is an impossible question to answer?
I interviewed 9/25 and just got the bummer news yesterday. High stats, so I'm guessing I must've completely bombed the interview yeeesh :whoa:

//should I plan to send a letter of interest in a month or so? Sooner? Any alt list success stories?

Does anyone know the odds of getting off the alternate list? <---I'm guessing this is an impossible question to answer?
I interviewed 9/25 and just got the bummer news yesterday. High stats, so I'm guessing I must've completely bombed the interview yeeesh :whoa:

//should I plan to send a letter of interest in a month or so? Sooner? Any alt list success stories?
So. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say maybe you didn’t bomb, and instead, schools might think you are doing yield protection. You have to be on the money of why DO, because from the post I read from you in august, you would be a FANTASTIC CANDIDATE NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, and you can always go into primary care as an MD. I have a specific interest in omt, which is why I only apply DO. Keep looking up though!! And send the letter if you feel like it, I’m genuinely surprised on this one

If I submit my deposit, does that mean I can't accept any offers from any other schools?

5rtt3d.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
3 long years of work to get to this point. Interviewed 10/9 and just got the acceptance call!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Just got the call today, accepted into the class of 2026 🥲 I can't believe it actually happened

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I followed these threads during my cycle and last years. While there is less engagement this year, I still wanted to give you guys a bit of a pep talk.

For anyone following this who is in the lovely cycle of "Why Haven't I Heard Anything Yet?" I just wanted to say I was an accepted student who had a 12/13 interview date. COMPNW interviews through Spring. There will probably be an insane amount of movement on the wait/alternate list like there was last year.

If you get an interview - congrats! Please know that that means the school looked over your application materials and thought "this person is good enough, we want to know more." The school isn't out to scare you or make you uncomfortable. If you had an in-person interview, you'd probably get to see this more. Believe in yourself, know that any perceived short comings in your application were already cleared. Be thoughtful in your answers so that are reflective of what makes you you. Know it's okay to pause to take a moment to think before you speak. It's okay to ask questions about what you are being asked. Don't over rehearse (I know there are sometimes questions posted here) as it comes off very stiff. Take advantage of the pre-interview social to ask questions, and know you'll likely have time to ask questions during your interview, too. Even if this is your only interview or only acceptance - remember you'll be living here for at least 2 years and it's a huge life adjustment so you're interviewing the school, too.

If you have been accepted, congrats again! Take time now to create patterns in your life that will help build resilience for the upcoming year. Know that every block will be different, but FOM3 is the worst. Pick up hobbies, start exercising, find out what are the things that you can always do to pick yourself up. Know now there will be times next year where you can't eat all those pancakes because you are covering approximately an entire upper division semester long science course in about 1.5-2 weeks. It's okay if you can't always eat the pancakes. Know that you're going into something that is a process, and sometimes you just have to trust that that process has worked for others. Most people are not doing as much Anki as they like to pretend they are. "Just passing" is honestly fine, and failure is not the end.

If you were rejected, reach out to see if you can find out why. Our school has mentorship programs for premeds with current students that can help provide personal statement reviews, general advice, and some general camaraderie. Whether you end up at COMPNW or even want to apply here again - it doesn't matter. Use the Pre-SOMA and OPSO events to help you navigate reapplying if that is what you choose to do.

The application cycle was arguably the hardest and most stressful period of my life. This path is long, so take time to take care of yourself and do things that create joy in your life. I wish you all the best of luck whether you land at COMPNW or somewhere else.

Reactions: 4 users
I followed these threads during my cycle and last years. While there is less engagement this year, I still wanted to give you guys a bit of a pep talk.

For anyone following this who is in the lovely cycle of "Why Haven't I Heard Anything Yet?" I just wanted to say I was an accepted student who had a 12/13 interview date. COMPNW interviews through Spring. There will probably be an insane amount of movement on the wait/alternate list like there was last year.

If you get an interview - congrats! Please know that that means the school looked over your application materials and thought "this person is good enough, we want to know more." The school isn't out to scare you or make you uncomfortable. If you had an in-person interview, you'd probably get to see this more. Believe in yourself, know that any perceived short comings in your application were already cleared. Be thoughtful in your answers so that are reflective of what makes you you. Know it's okay to pause to take a moment to think before you speak. It's okay to ask questions about what you are being asked. Don't over rehearse (I know there are sometimes questions posted here) as it comes off very stiff. Take advantage of the pre-interview social to ask questions, and know you'll likely have time to ask questions during your interview, too. Even if this is your only interview or only acceptance - remember you'll be living here for at least 2 years and it's a huge life adjustment so you're interviewing the school, too.

If you have been accepted, congrats again! Take time now to create patterns in your life that will help build resilience for the upcoming year. Know that every block will be different, but FOM3 is the worst. Pick up hobbies, start exercising, find out what are the things that you can always do to pick yourself up. Know now there will be times next year where you can't eat all those pancakes because you are covering approximately an entire upper division semester long science course in about 1.5-2 weeks. It's okay if you can't always eat the pancakes. Know that you're going into something that is a process, and sometimes you just have to trust that that process has worked for others. Most people are not doing as much Anki as they like to pretend they are. "Just passing" is honestly fine, and failure is not the end.

If you were rejected, reach out to see if you can find out why. Our school has mentorship programs for premeds with current students that can help provide personal statement reviews, general advice, and some general camaraderie. Whether you end up at COMPNW or even want to apply here again - it doesn't matter. Use the Pre-SOMA and OPSO events to help you navigate reapplying if that is what you choose to do.

The application cycle was arguably the hardest and most stressful period of my life. This path is long, so take time to take care of yourself and do things that create joy in your life. I wish you all the best of luck whether you land at COMPNW or somewhere else.
Thank you for sharing your advice! I have a question if you don’t mind. I was put on the alternate list. I heard there is a ranked waitlist as well. Does anyone ever get accepted from the alternate list or is a soft rejection/ improbability?

Thank you for sharing your advice! I have a question if you don’t mind. I was put on the alternate list. I heard there is a ranked waitlist as well. Does anyone ever get accepted from the alternate list or is a soft rejection/ improbability?
I have an answer! Okay, so what I got back is there is and "Alternate Wait List" category and a "Standard Alternate" category.

The Alternate Wait List Category is usually a smaller list and almost all candidates will receive offers as other accepted students decline those acceptances. << (edit to add: this list will get accepted before the standard alternate category)

The Standard Alternate Category is what we would more traditionally think of a wait list. These are students with strong applications/interviews who are again reviewed at the end of the interview season and offered spots as they open. Some years MANY people are offered acceptances off this list, other years only a few are offered acceptances since this is based on previously accepted students declining. This is also the category of wait list that can be strongly affected by update letters/letters of intent, etc.

One more edit: I have always been startled to find out who in my class was accepted off what I guess is the standard alternate category... mainly because those guys are usually crushing it. I don't know why I was flat out accepted and they weren't. My point is, while I can't imagine how much it must suck to sit on a waitlist - it has no bearing on who you are or your worth. Keep grinding, and submit updates when you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I have an answer! Okay, so what I got back is there is and "Alternate Wait List" category and a "Standard Alternate" category.

The Alternate Wait List Category is usually a smaller list and almost all candidates will receive offers as other accepted students decline those acceptances. << (edit to add: this list will get accepted before the standard alternate category)

The Standard Alternate Category is what we would more traditionally think of a wait list. These are students with strong applications/interviews who are again reviewed at the end of the interview season and offered spots as they open. Some years MANY people are offered acceptances off this list, other years only a few are offered acceptances since this is based on previously accepted students declining. This is also the category of wait list that can be strongly affected by update letters/letters of intent, etc.

One more edit: I have always been startled to find out who in my class was accepted off what I guess is the standard alternate category... mainly because those guys are usually crushing it. I don't know why I was flat out accepted and they weren't. My point is, while I can't imagine how much it must suck to sit on a waitlist - it has no bearing on who you are or your worth. Keep grinding, and submit updates when you can.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
Was invited to interview today! Interview scheduled for 11/13! OOS

Reactions: 3 users

tearing up bc i haven't read such genuine and sound advice in a long time. thank you for making this waiting game so much more bearable for me.

I submitted my secondary on 9/12 but haven't heard anything back since. Is anyone else on the same boat or has advice?

Hi guys, I am scheduled to interview on 11/13. Does anyone know if attending the Pre-Interview Student Ambassador Social is mandatory? If not, does it affect our chance at acceptance if we don't attend it? Also, what is the dress code for the social?

Hi guys, I am scheduled to interview on 11/13. Does anyone know if attending the Pre-Interview Student Ambassador Social is mandatory? If not, does it affect our chance at acceptance if we don't attend it? Also, what is the dress code for the social?
If you’re talking about the event that they host the night before the interview, I’m pretty sure it’s not mandatory. I did not attend it because I had prior arrangements and I was still accepted, so I don’t believe it has any weight against you!

Dress code is casual. In fact, the whole thing should be casual. When I interviewed I dressed in business casual. As a student I wear a blouse and just try to look nice. Don't feel like you need to wear a suit/jacket or anything unless you feel more comfortable that way.

It's not mandatory, though if you can make it it's a good place to ask questions to current students and hear questions from other candidates. Students who are involved with the social will not be doing any actual interviews, so you can ask questions you may not feel comfortable asking during your interview proper or ones you just might find frivolous or silly.

Is there a place that shows what percentage of people that get interviews get accepted? Similar to the data provided on the MSAR for MD schools.

Is there a place that shows what percentage of people that get interviews get accepted? Similar to the data provided on the MSAR for MD schools.

this link should show you that statistic for both campuses for a rough estimate...roughly 1 in 3ish?

3rd year COMP-NW student here, if anyone has questions about rotations or what it was like pre-covid etc feel free to ask. Best of luck with the application cycle!

Hi! I'd like to know your opinion of the class format. I hear that now it is only prerecorded lectures for some parts.
This is true, but IMO a pre-recorded lecture versus watching a lecture a couple days after (it’s recorded and uploaded right after the lecture) felt the exact same to me. If you plan to go to live lecture, then it will be different, of course, because you can’t ask direct questions, however this can be bypassed through the discussion board or email. Lecture is a huge waste of time for me and recorded vs recorded live are practically the same.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I'd like to know your opinion of the class format. I hear that now it is only prerecorded lectures for some parts.
First year here! I agree 100% with what @snowcrawler85 said. Sometimes lectures are live on Zoom and sometimes they are pre-recorded. I never go to the live ones unless they are mandatory. I prefer the recording because you can watch them at 1.5 or 2x speed, pause, fast forward, and rewind, which makes your life much more efficient.

You still have the in person components of anatomy lab, OMM lab, and CMR (doctoring skills class and simulated patient encounters).

Reactions: 1 users
Got put on the alternate list unfortunately. Interviewed 10/30.
I interviewed 11/13 and find out 12/3. I feel like this might be me too :( Hope you get off of it and there is a lot of movement!