2021-2022 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got secondary today! IS

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I am a ORM, 503 MCAT, and 3.9 GPA. I am planning on taking the MCAT again in August because I know it is pretty below the average. Should I just wait to submit it after I take my MCAT again? :(
Anecdotally, I know someone who got into WesternU (Pomona campus) last year with a 4.0 / 502, so a 503 isn't a deal breaker but you better have something amazing in your background and fit the school mission well. An improved MCAT will go a long way here at Western. Someone last cycle on SDN was also taken off the alternate list w/ a <500 mcat. These isolated cases, are of course, the exception. From my experiences WesternU places more emphasis on the MCAT than other DO schools. I virtually interviewed here last December with a 504/3.6 but am still on their alternate list despite feeling very positive about my interview day.

If I were you, I would submit your secondary within 10d after receipt if possible, and then note your new mcat date. Keep in mind, adcom will likely hold off on giving you an interview until your new mcat score comes in though.

Hey @timehoney626, I'm the person who was initially given alternate status last year and was accepted with a <500 MCAT! I have an extenuating circumstance that I will not go into detail here, but feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk individually. I thought I'd post publicly the first time since I remember how demoralized I felt and wished I had someone to talk to.

Before anyone asks, I'm from CA, ORM, had a 3.9 cGPA/sGPA. I received my secondary early July, submitted it 1-2 days later, and interviewed on one of the first dates in September. I felt like I killed my interview, and I informally stayed in contact via email with both my interviewers until I was accepted. Both my interviewers have now become mentors of mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a research question? I saw last years thread about a research secondary question
Yes! Sorry, I completely missed those

-Have you participated in research?
-If yes, briefly describe your role and what skills you gained from participating in the research
-If yes, please provide us with the link to the publication or abstract if possible
-Did you contribute to the published work as an author/coauthor?

Did everyone who recieved a secondary have a completed CASPER? Or are secondaries given before completion of CASPER?

-What experience observing a DO solidified your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (This could be a formal shadowing experience (one-on-one with a physician), scribing, observing your own physician, friend, or family member who is a DO).
-If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?
So if you answered the first question, I'm assuming we don't answer the second one (sorry, just being neurotic)

Awesome!! good luck! Do you think you could share them, please?
I am so sorry! I mistakenly posted here instead of the Lebanon thread. If you are interested in those questions as well, they are:
  • What experience observing a DO solidified your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (This could be a formal shadowing experience (one-on-one with a physician), scribing, observing your own physician, friend, or family member who is a DO).
  • If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?
  • If you have not had an opportunity shadow/observe a physician, please explain the extenuating circumstances that prevented you from doing so.
  • What was your most memorable community service activity and how did your activity benefit the community?
  • How does the COMP Northwest Mission statement align with your values?
  • Why do you want to attend COMP Northwest?
  • Have you participated in research? If yes, briefly describe your role and what skills you gained from participation in the research.
  • Please provide us with the link to the publication or abstract if possible.
  • What does diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to you and why are they important?
500 words each!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those applying and received secondaries to both campuses, how are you approaching the secondary questions?? Just copy & pasting? I know there are 2 that are specific to the campus, but I'm having difficulty finding specifics for each campus :/ Not sure how different I need to make the responses

anyone still waiting to receive secondary and submitted primary weeks ago?

Reactions: 6 users
If you have not had an opportunity shadow/observe a physician, please explain the extenuating circumstances that prevented you from doing so.
Hey all, for this question, they are referring to both MD and DO physicians, right?

Are you canadian/international?
Not Canadian or international, but on the opposite coast, New Jersey.

It is fair to note that their minimum MCAT score of 502 is my score, so I made the minimum threshold. GPA is higher than their average.

Question about CASPer, do we also have to do the Snapshot/Duet? Are those two part of the CASPer test?

Submitted 5/27, OOS, 3.5 and 514.. no secondary :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
submitted my casper score to both campuses a week ago and it still has not been marked received, has this happened to anyone else?

submitted my casper score to both campuses a week ago and it still has not been marked received, has this happened to anyone else?
I don't see Western Pomona on the list when I go to submit my CASPer score. I only see Oregon. Is this normal?

Hi how were you able to submit without filling out the 2nd and 3rd question assuming you observed a DO. I keep getting an error when trying to submit.
I put N/A in those fields.

Reactions: 1 user
Might be a stupid question but for the secondary prompt:

If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?

Should i not answer this prompt if I have shadowed a DO?

Might be a stupid question but for the secondary prompt:

If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?

Should i not answer this prompt if I have shadowed a DO?
I just put N/A to those prompts.

Reactions: 1 users
1. How does the COMP Mission statement align with your values?
2. Why do you want to attend COMP?

Anyone know how to explain the difference between these two?

1. How does the COMP Mission statement align with your values?
2. Why do you want to attend COMP?

Anyone know how to explain the difference between these two?
first one is about its mission and how it fits with what you believe like diversity, equity. etc. second is like why COMP, so if you have connections, location, its programs it offers, etc.

What does this school emphasize heavily? Not so much research I think nor community service… The missions pretty generic so I’m just trying to be a bit more specific

In the physician shadowing section it defines shadowing as "One-on-one activities with a physician". Would it be appropriate to list my time working with one or should I keep it strictly shadowing experiences?

for the shadowing question, does it have to be strictly DO? I only have an MD shadowing experience but he used a somewhat holistic approach