2021-2022 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes I can’t believe it’s 500 words each !!!!
you dont need 500 words, pretty sure mine barely broke 300

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone still waiting for a secondary? I got one from COMP-NW in July.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still waiting for a secondary? I got one from COMP-NW in July.
I applied to both campuses. I submitted my primary July 5th for Pomona. Submitted Lebanon a week later. For those who waited a long time for secondaries, did you guys email addmissions or should I wait it out?

I applied to both campuses. I submitted my primary July 5th for Pomona. Submitted Lebanon a week later. For those who waited a long time for secondaries, did you guys email addmissions or should I wait it out?
Just curious, and keep in mind I'm very new to this process, but what will emailing admissions do in regards to you getting a secondary? It seems like you'd be bothering them, if anything.

Just curious, and keep in mind I'm very new to this process, but what will emailing admissions do in regards to you getting a secondary? It seems like you'd be bothering them, if anything.

As a reapplicant, I have had issues in the past with applications being considered "complete" when, in reality, it was not. I waited several weeks before I reached out because I figured they were still processing primary applications (since adcoms tend to be very overwhelmed with the volume of apps received, finalizing the previous class, etc.).

They said that there was an issue with my app (incorrectly formatted/signed letter), but there was no way to know this since I waived my rights to access the letter. Therefore, unknowingly, I did not fulfill the letter requirements. I eventually got the issue resolved, but this delay (along with other flaws in my app) could have negatively impacted my chances since my app was finally considered towards the latter half of the cycle.

I am debating if I should contact admissions about my secondary application b/c I don't want to overwhelm the admissions counselors, however I am not sure why I haven't received a secondary as I received one for COMP-NW. Any recommendations?

I am debating if I should contact admissions about my secondary application b/c I don't want to overwhelm the admissions counselors, however I am not sure why I haven't received a secondary as I received one for COMP-NW. Any recommendations?
When did you submit your primary application?

For Pomona, I submitted my primary on 6/4, (verified on 6/10), but didn't receive a secondary until 8/2. Based on this thread it seems like others were waiting a long time to receive a secondary too.

I haven't received one and I was verified 6/18, IS

When did you submit your primary application?

For Pomona, I submitted my primary on 6/4, (verified on 6/10), but didn't receive a secondary until 8/2. Based on this thread it seems like others were waiting a long time to receive a secondary too.
Thanks for the feedback. I submitted late on 7/4. Ill just have to be patient :)

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't received one and I was verified 6/18, IS
The odd thing was that I received an email for the secondary invite on 8/2 but when I first logged into the app the portal said "started on 7/22".

I wonder if you could log in to the secondary's website as a new user and see if the application is ready to access. Maybe they haven't sent the email blast yet.

I'm not sure if that would work but it's something you could try before you reach out to admissions.

The odd thing was that I received an email for the secondary invite on 8/2 but when I first logged into the app the portal said "started on 7/22".

I wonder if you could log in to the secondary's website as a new user and see if the application is ready to access. Maybe they haven't sent the email blast yet.

I'm not sure if that would work but it's something you could try before you reach out to admissions.
Mine says started 7/22 as well, but then when I open the application it says AACOMAS Under Review

Can anyone clarify if I am understanding this correctly or not? If I have shadowed only MDs and I did not shadow any DOs, will I be answering the question, "If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?" And shall I skip questions regarding "What experience observing a DO solidified your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?" and "If you have not had an opportunity shadow/observe a physician, please explain the extenuating circumstances that prevented you from doing so."

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone clarify if I am understanding this correctly or not? If I have shadowed only MDs and I did not shadow any DOs, will I be answering the question, "If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?" And shall I skip questions regarding "What experience observing a DO solidified your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?" and "If you have not had an opportunity shadow/observe a physician, please explain the extenuating circumstances that prevented you from doing so."
I shadowed a DO, so I answered the question "What experience observing a DO solidified your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?", and skipped the other two.

Does anyone have insight on "we highly recommend submitting your completed secondary application within one week"?

Does this mean your app will be scored lower if you submit after a week? Or are they just trying to give us the best shot at an early II?

Does anyone have insight on "we highly recommend submitting your completed secondary application within one week"?

Does this mean your app will be scored lower if you submit after a week? Or are they just trying to give us the best shot at an early II?

My guess is that it will not necessarily be scored lower, but I would still try for the general rule of thumb which is a turnaround time of 2 weeks after receiving the email.

I received a secondary email from both Pomona and NW. Pomona's email said "we highly recommend submitting your completed secondary application within one week", whereas NW did not mention anything about it (for me at least).

I'm still waiting on my CASPer score, so my application will not be reviewed regardless of when I submitted my secondary.

Med school admission committee prob looking for reasons to not accept you, don't give them one by taking too long to submit. Might show disinterest.

Does anyone know if we should be attending these in-person tours? They've sent me 3 emails about them....

Thanks for the feedback. I submitted late on 7/4. Ill just have to be patient :)
I submitted both CA and OR on 7/15 but I still haven't gotten any secondary for either. DO you think I should reach out? I'm in state
Is there a pre-screen I didn't know about? or are they taking their time?

I submitted both CA and OR on 7/15 but I still haven't gotten any secondary for either. DO you think I should reach out? I'm in state
Is there a pre-screen I didn't know about? or are they taking their time?
From what others have been saying on forums I think COMP Pomona is pretty delayed sending secondary apps. I have heard that admissions is very busy and it could be viewed unfavorably if you reach out, however, I'm not sure how accurate this is. Hang in there!

Just jumping on the no-secondary boat. I applied to CA... OOS, submitted 5/27, 3.5/514.

i emailed asking about the secondary a few days ago, no response so far

Hey guys I am a new oms-1 just starting a couple weeks ago. Im trying to avoid studying so if you guys have any questions I’d be happy to help!

Does anyone know if we should be attending these in-person tours? They've sent me 3 emails about them....
if u want to know more about the school sure. Really more of a Q&A and might help you stand out (shows dedication to school... blah blah blah). If you are in LA, sure, go ahead, why not.

just fyi, i got 2-3 of those emails while i was a OMS1 here, pretty sure its just a random mailing list.

If anyone has questions about COMP feel free to reach out! I’m a first year on the Leb campus but we work very closely with Pomona!
How do you like COMP NW?

What made you choose it?

Did the reasons you chose it end up remaining true after starting?

How do you work closely with Pomona?

How do you like COMP NW?

What made you choose it?

Im not at Leb but just wanted to say that we have the same curriculum and lectures. The only things we dont do together are the in person stuff but we still have the same exams across both campuses.

Hey has anyone spoken to the admissions office lately? Curious how busy they are/whats going on. Seems to be no activity lately about secondary or interview invites. This time last year they were already distributing IIs.

submitted my casper score to both campuses a week ago and it still has not been marked received, has this happened to anyone else?
This is happening to me. Did you have to contact admissions or CASPer to get this resolved?

This is happening to me. Did you have to contact admissions or CASPer to get this resolved?
I reached out to admissions last week about this but I still haven't heard back. I would have to guess they are extremely slammed with secondaries, especially if no one has received an II yet.

I contacted Judith, and she sent me an email back saying they received my Casper results and the check was placed later that day

How do you like COMP NW?

What made you choose it?

I absolutely love COMP-NW and love the homey vibe that it has. It's one building and so far everyone has gotten really close. The faculty are absolutely AMAZING, both at Pomona and Lebanon. I originally chose it because I was put on the waitlist to my top school (an MD school) but was accepted here and another place and COMP-NW was the closest to me. Honestly I wouldn't have changed it for the world, I hear from friends who did get into the other school I wanted to go to and I feel like I've been getting a better experience here than I would have at the other school.

I chose it also because the mission statement really aligned with my core values and this has held true after starting school. The faculty listens, they want you to succeed, and the rural area that it is located in loved COMP-NW. We are involved with the community so much, even offering students the option to become volunteer firefighters which I start soon! They have mandatory community service learning with a TON of different projects both in Lebanon and Pomona and I think it's a great way to get involved with the community.

As far as working with Pomona, most of our lectures that are virtual (pre-recorded and Zoom) are in conjunction with Pomona and the professor lectures to both campuses. Also, I believe we take the same exams as well. Even though the lectures are in conjunction with each campus the professors still hold office hours all the time and are available to help both COMP-NW and COMP students. :) Hope that helps!

• Care
How much does CASPER score factor into ll/admission? I scored in the first quartile :( GPA 3.9, MCAT 507.

out of curiosity, did anyone else's portal change recently? I think they got rid of the status section but i'm not too sure

Hi guys, looking for some thoughts. I received my secondary about 3 weeks ago and am just wrapping it up now. Hopefully it should be ready by the end of this week. I realize I am miles out past their 7-10 day turnaround time. However, I'm working full time at a hospital and it's just been tough trying to get any of my secondaries done amidst the fourth wave panic and overtime shifts. I loved western and I'm wondering if you guys thing my application is DOA or if it may be a good idea to send an email to admissions just acknowledging the delay and expressing sincere interest.

still haven't gotten a secondary from here, IS, only secondary I haven't received overall MD or DO.

Hi guys, looking for some thoughts. I received my secondary about 3 weeks ago and am just wrapping it up now. Hopefully it should be ready by the end of this week. I realize I am miles out past their 7-10 day turnaround time. However, I'm working full time at a hospital and it's just been tough trying to get any of my secondaries done amidst the fourth wave panic and overtime shifts. I loved western and I'm wondering if you guys thing my application is DOA or if it may be a good idea to send an email to admissions just acknowledging the delay and expressing sincere interest.
Hey i personally believe it is okay. I don't think it's necessary to send an email to admissions and they only recommend you submit it within 7-10 days but i can tell you that many people are not submitting it within that time frame. you will be fine

still haven't gotten a secondary from here, IS, only secondary I haven't received overall MD or DO.
I'm in the same boat. Hoping they are still sending out secondaries. This is my top choice

Same boat submitted 3-4 weeks after I received the secondary because of my busy schedule. I don’t think it’s very realistic for us to turn in 7-10 days if we didn’t pre-write. Just submit and hope for the best!

Hey guys, I just checked my WesternU portal. I have received an invite to interview! I am a Canadian applicant, 509 mcat, 3.76 science gpa, and overall gpa, fourth quartile (75-100%) for CASPER. I did not receive an email to notify me of this interview! But I am still psyched XD!

Hey guys, I just checked my WesternU portal. I have received an invite to interview! I am a Canadian applicant, 509 mcat, 3.76 science gpa, and overall gpa, fourth quartile (75-100%) for CASPER. I did not receive an email to notify me of this interview! But I am still psyched XD!
Hey, did you for sure get it for WesternU's Pomona campus? Or the Oregon campus (COMP-NW)? I've seen people on the Oregon sdn thread say they received IIs, but no one on this thread has received it yet. I received an II for COMP-NW, but COMP is my top choice so I just want to make sure if I missed the first wave.

Just received an interview invite for the Pomona campus. Application complete on 8/6.

Hey, did you for sure get it for WesternU's Pomona campus? Or the Oregon campus (COMP-NW)? I've seen people on the Oregon sdn thread say they received IIs, but no one on this thread has received it yet. I received an II for COMP-NW, but COMP is my top choice so I just want to make sure if I missed the first wave.
Its for sure for the Pomona campus. I received the email like 5 minutes after finding out I was accepted to interview

Did anyone only get one email confirming the first interview with no mention/confirmation about the MMI time slot? Also, all the slots for the pre-interview day were filled :/

+1 for Pomona campus! Application complete 7/27
Just received an interview invite for the Pomona campus. Application complete on 8/6.

II received.

For those who scheduled their interviews, the email said we will be able to schedule the pre-interview social and also receive a confirmation email for the additional MMI interview. I did not see either. I was wondering if you all also did not see the option to schedule the pre-interview social or the second confirmation email or if I should send an email.