2021-2022 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received !

Prompt:

The Mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM) is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, research and scholarly activities, and service, including osteopathic clinical service, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals, with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, nation and across the globe.

In the space below (not to exceed 500 words), please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM fulfill this mission.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received OOS. verified 06/05

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven’t received secondary yet, was verified 5/31, OOS. Is there a screen?

Haven’t received secondary yet, was verified 5/31, OOS. Is there a screen?
This is what the email said about screens for MCAT, it didn't say anything about GPA as a screen but it said 3.5 or higher was competitive for admission.

The scale for grading is 118-132 in each section with a score of 125 generally
representing the 50th percentile. Total scores range from 472-528 with 501 being
the approximate 50th percentile mark. A score of 504+ is generally required to
receive a secondary application and be considered for admission. MCAT scores
must be official and dated within three years from the date of application.

Haven’t received secondary yet, was verified 5/31,
I have a 504 and have not received a secondary yet, either. I am thinking about sending them an email and asking about the screening process.
same here! I think it’s a good idea

Ok so I emailed Martha and she said that they are still working through applications; we should receive something next week!
y'all got me scared of the screens with my 3.35sGPA and I don't apply till next cycle

This is what the email said about screens for MCAT, it didn't say anything about GPA as a screen but it said 3.5 or higher was competitive for admission.

The scale for grading is 118-132 in each section with a score of 125 generally
representing the 50th percentile. Total scores range from 472-528 with 501 being
the approximate 50th percentile mark. A score of 504+ is generally required to
receive a secondary application and be considered for admission. MCAT scores
must be official and dated within three years from the date of application.

That's very odd about the 504+ for secondary application, their average last year was a 501 for matriculating students. Hopefully we get some sub-504 love from WC

Is anyone else still waiting on a secondary from here yet?

I got my secondary 3 days ago — maybe they’re stratifying by stats or something? I know they screen hard for secondaries

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm blind but I can't find any community service programs on their website. do they have programs for students to participate in or is it just a mission thing?

I think I'm blind but I can't find any community service programs on their website. do they have programs for students to participate in or is it just a mission thing?

Do they require CASPER ? I read last year thread saying it's not required.

I can't find it on the school website though. Still I am taking on july 8th. How did you prepare for it?

I just went back and looked at the document they sent me with my secondary invitation, and they said a Casper score is required for your secondary to be considered! I didn't really prepare much, to be honest. I would recommend practicing typing if you're a slow typist; I feel being fast (and not making spelling/grammatical errors) gave me an advantage. From there just do what you would do when being kind to a friend -- listen nonjudgmentally, offer empathy, try to understand multiple sides of the situation, etc.

I just went back and looked at the document they sent me with my secondary invitation, and they said a Casper score is required for your secondary to be considered! I didn't really prepare much, to be honest. I would recommend practicing typing if you're a slow typist; I feel being fast (and not making spelling/grammatical errors) gave me an advantage. From there just do what you would do when being kind to a friend -- listen nonjudgmentally, offer empathy, try to understand multiple sides of the situation, etc.
Really? My secondary invite didn't say anything about a casper score & I don't remember WCU being an option when sending my scores.

This may be a stupid question but considering the secondary invite says they want you to scan and email back the secondary...does that mean this needs to be handwritten?

This may be a stupid question but considering the secondary invite says they want you to scan and email back the secondary...does that mean this needs to be handwritten?

I didn't do that. I typed my answers onto the document. The part you have to scan is your signature, I however did an online signature where I can draw out my signature on the computer and redownload the entire doc.

I didn't do that. I typed my answers onto the document. The part you have to scan is your signature, I however did an online signature where I can draw out my signature on the computer and redownload the entire doc.
Okay that makes so much more sense, thank you!

Commenting here jus so I get notified when someone posts in the thread. Good luck to everyone tho🙏🏽🙏🏽

I did have a greater than 504
In their email it states "A score of 504+ is generally required to receive a secondary application and be considered for admission" do u guys have that?
MCAT and I got my secondaries a while back!

Oh sorry I thought that you were asking if it was true based on who received it!
Oh okay my bad. they say in their email that they screen for factors additional to stats:
“How well the candidate is suited to help WCUCOM meet this mission is strongly considered in selecting students. As such, candidates who are from the Gulf South region (MS, TX, LA, AL, AR, TN, GA, FL) are favored over those from more remote areas. Well-qualified applicants from any region, however, will be considered for admission. Likewise, individuals who seek specialties considered primary care by WCUCOM (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, emergency medicine, general surgery, and psychiatry) receive admissions preference.
These qualities are considered when screening applicants to receive secondary applications and interviews as well as ultimate admission into the program. Portions of the interview are designed to determine how well a candidate fits the mission of the school.”

From what I remember from previous years, WCUCOM screens for secondaries in a pretty detailed/holistic way!

Yea, im asking the 2 people who said they didn’t get it yet 😂
Hey! I still haven’t gotten one :( I am from MI, have a low GPA/504, highly interested in peds. I reached out via email a few weeks ago too and she replied saying

Good morning:

AACOMAS applications are considered as soon as we receive them. If chosen for a secondary app, they will be sent out immediately

I was verified in May so I’m starting to think I won’t get one LOL

Last edited:
After submitting the secondary, did any of you guys get a confirmation yet?