2021-2022 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Morningnight for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Yale Secondary Essay Prompts:
Required Essay 1:
Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? (500 words limit)

Required Essay 2 (please select one of the following):

MD applicants: Please answer either one of the following questions
MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.

1. While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine. (500 words limit)
  2. Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine. (500 words limit)
Additional Info Section:
This section is optional. It should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any important information (personal, academic, or professional) not discussed in other sections of your Yale Secondary Application. If you are a recent graduate, please also list your post-graduation plans/activities in the “Additional Information” section and submit any relevant updates for finalized plans/activities as the application year progresses. Please limit your response to 500 words.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How are we all doing?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wanda and Cosmo making it happen huh
Dude probably made a wish to his fairies to make it Wednesday and is now trying to convince us its his "intuition". Nice try buddy.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Wanda and Cosmo making it happen huh
Ackchyually, Jorgen Van Strangle gave me the Magic Muffin to make one rule-free wish.

edit: This is how we are starting out the Yale thread now, is it? Hello to the annoyed 2023 applicant reading this in May of 2022.

Reactions: 1 user
How about the one where Timmy manifests the Yale secondary into existence :oops:

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when they ask to list all courses taken online if they only mean for the premed requirements or all of them?

Anyone know when they ask to list all courses taken online if they only mean for the premed requirements or all of them?
I'm wondering this as well but was also curious if people were putting only courses that were completely online, or including courses that finished online last spring.

I'm wondering this as well but was also curious if people were putting only courses that were completely online, or including courses that finished online last spring.
Found this on part of the Yale site:

YSM permits applicants to take pre-medical requirements online provided the courses include laboratory work (where applicable, as detailed in our pre-medical requirements). Students will be asked to specify any pre-medical courses taken online when filling out the YSM Secondary Application.

So it sounds like you should list them all.

Are they manually updating LoRs for completeness? Submitted everything but LoRs say incomplete.

what are the prompts?
Required Essay 1:
Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? (500 words limit)

Required Essay 2 (please select one of the following):

MD applicants: Please answer either one of the following questions
MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.

1. While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine. (500 words limit)
  2. Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine. (500 words limit)
Additional Info Section:
This section is optional. It should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any important information (personal, academic, or professional) not discussed in other sections of your Yale Secondary Application. If you are a recent graduate, please also list your post-graduation plans/activities in the “Additional Information” section and submit any relevant updates for finalized plans/activities as the application year progresses. Please limit your response to 500 words.

Reactions: 1 users
do you guys think it is okay to use the additional info section to go in-depth about gap year plans and the motivation behind them? or would it be better to talk about a hobby or something

do you guys think it is okay to use the additional info section to go in-depth about gap year plans and the motivation behind them? or would it be better to talk about a hobby or something
I think in your case the gap year essay might be the right choice

Hey, for the optional prompt, it says this:
"If you are a recent graduate, please also list your post-graduation plans/activities in the “Additional Information” section and submit any relevant updates for finalized plans/activities as the application year progresses."

I graduated 3 years ago, so that's not particularly recent. Almost everything I'm currently doing is already on my primary. Would it be okay for me to use the space for something else?

Hey, for the optional prompt, it says this:
"If you are a recent graduate, please also list your post-graduation plans/activities in the “Additional Information” section and submit any relevant updates for finalized plans/activities as the application year progresses."

I graduated 3 years ago, so that's not particularly recent. Almost everything I'm currently doing is already on my primary. Would it be okay for me to use the space for something else?
I graduated longer ago than that, I still answered about all the major stuff I've done since then

I graduated longer ago than that, I still answered about all the major stuff I've done since then
Thanks. Maybe I can have a combo of a short summary of what I've done while also using the space for additional things.

When responding to this question, did you just list your activities as the questions suggest or also provided a paragraph or two in written form?

I'm 3 years out of college and gonna summarize my post-graduation activities in the additional info section.

But also does this mean we shouldn't provide our activities and accomplishments after college in the snapshot sections? Feel like I did some pretty cool things during my gap years so I wanna list them lol

I'm 3 years out of college and gonna summarize my post-graduation activities in the additional info section.

But also does this mean we shouldn't provide our activities and accomplishments after college in the snapshot sections? Feel like I did some pretty cool things during my gap years so I wanna list them lol
I'm in the same boat as you. I was planning on listing them in the activities section as well. I hope they don't get annoyed if I list 30 or so activities... (I was thinking of adding an extra line in between these to make it easier to read, lol)

I'm in the same boat as you. I was planning on listing them in the activities section as well. I hope they don't get annoyed if I list 30 or so activities... (I was thinking of adding an extra line in between these to make it easier to read, lol)
Can confirm I added lines in between. We can start a study among all sdn applicants to see what bearing it has on II/acceptances.