2021 US News Medical School Rankings Released

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UCSF in shambles.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have a premium subscription and willing to post Step 1 scores and program director ratings as has been done for previous years?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also very keen to see the schools ranked by PDs' and Peers' scores, that tends to be more immutable.

NYU back in the top 5? You know what, with the free tuition initiative, this time they deserve to stay.

Reactions: 3 users
tumblr_ozna6tmuPq1vg1enro1_400.gifv

Woo #91 lol

And today I learned NYU goes by Grossman

Reactions: 6 users
They really seem to like avoiding tiebreakers. Not that the difference would matter much, but so many ties makes a ranking list look kind of silly imo

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It’s all fun and games until NYU Grossman Optimus Prime school of medicine is ranked #1 next year, Harvard is stuck in a 8 way tie for 2 and Yale is unranked.

• Haha
Reactions: 26 users
My school loves to boast their ranking until they are no longer “top x” then the discussion about withdrawing from the rank list and becoming unranked gets going

cant wait to run into premed applicants on the interview trail next year

"why did your school drop 2 rankings compared to last year?"

Me: o_O

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Was very excited to see my school outrank some other schools.

Turns out my school is lumped into the “unranked” category and was only listed above others because it’s earlier in the alphabet.:rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know why a school (McGovern) would be previously ranked and now unranked?

my school barely cracks the research list but is actually ranked very high on the primary care list. does that mean anything at all in terms of prestige, or is it just a consolation prize? not that it matters... ;)

my school barely cracks the research list but is actually ranked very high on the primary care list. does that mean anything at all in terms of prestige, or is it just a consolation prize? not that it matters... ;)
While both lists are kind of stupid, the primary care metrics are particularly strange. One of the main differences in calculating each respective list is the percentage of students entering primary care fields. That doesnt tell me much about the resources available to students at the school.

Reactions: 2 users

Don't worry, neither list actually means anything

Reactions: 2 users
Texas schools took a tumble in this year's rankings.

While both lists are kind of stupid, the primary care metrics are particularly strange. One of the main differences in calculating each respective list is the percentage of students entering primary care fields. That doesnt tell me much about the resources available to students at the school.
Yeah, it's a bogus methodology because they assume everyone going into IM counts as "primary"

Penn had >50 people match IM this year. I guarantee >90% of them will end up specialized. It makes no sense to look at that match list and say Penn is sending half its students into primary care.

Reactions: 3 users
it is even less meaningful than the main list.

While I agree that the US News list is not great for evaluating clinical and medical education, it is very meaningful in determining residency placement and opportunities.

Why has UCSD continually fallen in rankings? Over last 10~ years

My school has fluctuated between 20-25 for years, and I would still recommend it, particularly after the way they handled my research year, my pregnancy and COVID-19. We shall see if it matters during the insanity of 2021.

We (Miami) dropped like 8 spots this year. According to some deans in the know, it was all due to one extremely well funded HIV researcher leaving to go elsewhere. This is because NIH research funding is such a huge part of the calculation.

The guy was a PhD in the ID Dept who never gave a single lecture, did not work clinically, and only ever had 1 MD/PhD student collaborating with him on projects In my 4 years.

Just illustrates that while these rankings are a good blunt instrument to assess med schools, they’re also subject to weird effects that have 0 correlation to the quality of education or resources available to the students.

...or I’m just butthurt to see my school drop in the rankings.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
What does it mean when schools are ranked from #94-122?
The school's exact ranking is hidden to avoid embarrassing them for being at or near the bottom

I almost wonder if an exact ranking would help the those schools by fielding them more apps from borderline students