2022-2023 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! Super excited about ICOM I have an interview coming up soon. Any tips form people that have interviewed here this cycle???

Members don't see this ad.

Seems to vary from person to person when looking back in this thread. I interviewed back in August and got accepted. My interview was really chill and conversational. I don't even think I interviewed that well tbh and still got in. Coming from my experience, wouldn't stress about it too much.
Thanks!! Do you think you’ll be attending ICOM?

For anyone who received the "completed the final review of your secondary application" email and a II. How long after receiving the email did you receive your II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Super excited about ICOM I have an interview coming up soon. Any tips form people that have interviewed here this cycle???
Mine was pretty conversational and was really easy going. Also feel like I didn't interview the best that I could have (very few hours of sleep, first med school interview ever, etc.) but I still got accepted! Good luck! You'll do great :)

Interviewed at ICOM today, does anyone else that interviewed today know when we're supposed to hear back? I can't remember if they said Nov 9th or 11th

Secondary submitted 8/26 and interview invite received yesterday. I will be withdrawing my application and hope the interview goes to one of y'all!

Anyone else interview today? If so, what were your thoughts on the student panel?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk
I'm a woman's man, no time to talk
Music loud and women warm, I've been kicked around
Since I was born
And now it's alright, it's okay
And you may look the other way
We can try to understand
The New York Times' effect on man
Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother
You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Feel the city breakin' and everybody shakin'
And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive
Oh, when you walk
Well now, I get low and I get high
And if I can't get either, I really try
Got the wings of Heaven on my shoes
I'm a dancin' man and I just can't lose
You know it's alright, it's okay
I'll live to see another day
We can try to understand
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive (oh)
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive (oh)
Life goin' nowhere, somebody help me
Somebody help me, yeah
Life goin' nowhere, somebody help me, yeah
I'm stayin' alive
Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk
I'm a woman's man, no time to talk
Music loud and women warm
I've been kicked around since I was born
And now it's all right, it's okay
And you may look the other way
We can try to understand
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive (hey)
Somebody help me, yeah
I'm stayin' alive
Somebody help me, yeah (ah, ah, ah)
I'm stayin' alive
Somebody help me, yeah (ah, ah, ah, ay)
I'm stayin' alive
Somebody help me, yeah (oh)
I'm stayin' alive
aye uh @wysdoc

when were you complete?
Just FYI I emailed admissions asking for a status update on 11/13 and they responded with "I actually see that your application was moved into a status to receive an interview invitation. You should receive an email from us overnight." II came in 11/14 morning lol. I'm not sure if it actually had anything to do with me sending/asking for an update, but seems too good to be a coincidence.

Just FYI I emailed admissions asking for a status update on 11/13 and they responded with "I actually see that your application was moved into a status to receive an interview invitation. You should receive an email from us overnight." II came in 11/14 morning lol. I'm not sure if it actually had anything to do with me sending/asking for an update, but seems too good to be a coincidence.
Just coincidence

Reactions: 1 user
I also emailed them last night and they responded with the same thing this morning. Praying for an II tomorrow morning!

For those who interviewed nov 15th, we are supposed to hear back today correct?

Was recently accepted- for those who have attended school here, anything that I should look into purchasing on Black Friday? I know they are an Apple campus so wasn't sure what you were given as apart of the fees and stuff.

Was recently accepted- for those who have attended school here, anything that I should look into purchasing on Black Friday? I know they are an Apple campus so wasn't sure what you were given as apart of the fees and stuff.
Don’t get an iPad or apple pencil or the keyboard case, ICOM supplies all three.

If you need a new laptop, I read that there’s a good sale on M1 MacBook Air laptops on Amazon. I already have a Mac laptop (and a windows desktop) but if I were in the market for a new laptop I’d get a Mac since it’s easy to use screen-sharing with the study room TVs. If I didn’t already have two monitors, I’d get a second.

Miscellaneous: headphones, scrubs (Figs has a good sale on right now), stethoscope, workout gear, business casual clothes, winter coat/hat/boots/gloves if you’re coming from a warmer climate, air fryer/instant pot if that’s your thing, coffee stuff.

Don’t get an iPad or apple pencil or the keyboard case, ICOM supplies all three.

If you need a new laptop, I read that there’s a good sale on M1 MacBook Air laptops on Amazon. I already have a Mac laptop (and a windows desktop) but if I were in the market for a new laptop I’d get a Mac since it’s easy to use screen-sharing with the study room TVs. If I didn’t already have two monitors, I’d get a second.

Miscellaneous: headphones, scrubs (Figs has a good sale on right now), stethoscope, workout gear, business casual clothes, winter coat/hat/boots/gloves if you’re coming from a warmer climate, air fryer/instant pot if that’s your thing, coffee stuff.
Get some airpods with the apple sale as well. You'll want them for studying on campus

What things can you do with MacBook and apple products that you couldn't do with a Windows laptop? I'm an android/windows person so I know nothing about apple ecosystem. If it is worth it to go to Mac I'll happily learn it if there are more benefits than just screen sharing. I know airdrop is useful and would be nice with the ipad.

Also is the iPad just an iPad Air, or is there an option to upgrade to a iPad Pro model?

So pretty much what could I do with a Mac on campus that a Windows laptop couldn't do?

What things can you do with MacBook and apple products that you couldn't do with a Windows laptop? I'm an android/windows person so I know nothing about apple ecosystem. If it is worth it to go to Mac I'll happily learn it if there are more benefits than just screen sharing. I know airdrop is useful and would be nice with the ipad.

Also is the iPad just an iPad Air, or is there an option to upgrade to a iPad Pro model?

So pretty much what could I do with a Mac on campus that a Windows laptop couldn't do?
- Mac is just gonna work better with all sorts of note taking apps. Plus they’re honestly faster and less likely to get mucked up with viruses.
- you get a pro with keyboard and pen.

1. General platform specific things like airdrop/airplay, but you can always just Airplay with your iPad and use it to send/receive airdrops while syncing to a cloud service to get files on your laptop.
  2. Interoperability with notetaking app depending on your selection (OneNote will work on PC, Notability will not).
  3. Some of the faculty have a habit of handing out documents in Apple specific formats like pages/keynote, though you could always use the iPad to convert or use the iCloud web interface. This seems to be happening less frequently now, but still occurs occasionally.

A lot of it just comes down to how much you want to be using the laptop vs the iPad and how willing you are to occasionally jump through a few hoops.

For any current students…

What separated ICOM from other schools for you? It seems a little difficult to find a lot of information on the school when looking online.

What would you say are the biggest pros and cons of the school?

Are all lectures mandatory or just some?

What does year 1 and 2 volunteering look like for you guys?

How is the cost of living in Idaho? Is what you got from loans and the school sufficient for living expenses?

And most importantly, how is bogus basin? Worth the pass? Anything to compare to Colorado?

Thanks!

For any current students…

What separated ICOM from other schools for you? It seems a little difficult to find a lot of information on the school when looking online.

What would you say are the biggest pros and cons of the school?

Are all lectures mandatory or just some?

What does year 1 and 2 volunteering look like for you guys?

How is the cost of living in Idaho? Is what you got from loans and the school sufficient for living expenses?

And most importantly, how is bogus basin? Worth the pass? Anything to compare to Colorado?

Thanks!

Rapid fire answers (second year here)

- Better campus, top notch anatomy, "free" iPad, free board prep resources, boise is kinda lit tbh (except for the rampant racism and homophobia in our politics)
- pro: a lot of freedom with your class schedule con: we don't have standardized exams
- No, some are, many arent
- You'll have time on weekends and plenty of opportunity
- Moderate, more expensive than the midwest
- I've heard great things, my friends all go, but I'm not much of skier.

Reactions: 2 users
Current 4th year at ICOM, submitted residency apps and currently bored out of my mind and was just searching the forums looking up my school and found this thread. Willing to answer questions about the school or rotations (I’m clueless when it comes to the admissions process now, but it seems like @voppp has a good handle on that).

Long time lurker on SDN, but don’t post or comment a lot.

Anyone that interviewed last week Im curious what your thoughts and impressions were after your interview??

Current 4th year at ICOM, submitted residency apps and currently bored out of my mind and was just searching the forums looking up my school and found this thread. Willing to answer questions about the school or rotations (I’m clueless when it comes to the admissions process now, but it seems like @voppp has a good handle on that).

Long time lurker on SDN, but don’t post or comment a lot.
I was wondering how hard it would be match into competitive specialties such as orthopedic surgery or interventional radiology? I heard research is pretty hard to find and it seems it is almost required to match into these specialties.

I was wondering how hard it would be match into competitive specialties such as orthopedic surgery or interventional radiology? I heard research is pretty hard to find and it seems it is almost required to match into these specialties.
It's very hard. We had a few of those specialties last year. You can check the list online.

Anyone that interviewed last week Im curious what your thoughts and impressions were after your interview??
Interviewed yesterday. Thought the faculty interviewers were pleasant and fairly conversational.

Adding to the question of matching into competitive specialties, it would be beneficial to take both the COMLEX and USLME exams right? That is what I have heard from multiple people. I have also heard that getting a very high score on the level 2/step 2 exams are crucial to matching into a competitive residency as well. Not a student there (yet) but I feel as if you will be able to find research opportunities if you have the determination to do so. And of course LOR's and audition rotations assumingly play a large role. Overall seems like there is much more work to do regarding matching into a competitive specialty but definitely seems attainable.

Yeah those are like top tier competitive specialties. Would be very hard to match even coming from a MD school. If thats something you want to do you're gonna have to start networking and doing research early to start building your CV and then when it comes times for boards take step and level and knock them both out of the park. Even then it isnt a guarantee and would probably worth applying to a back up specialty just in case. I think there was one or two ortho people that matched ortho last year and I know the few people that are applying it in my class this year are doing auditions to increase their chances. Personally, I recommend taking step 1/2 and level 1/2 regardless cuz its the same material (plus the opp stuff for level) and that way you keep all your doors open in case you change your mind down the road about your specialty. Also I don't feel like coming from ICOM has hindered me in anyway applying this year (I applied Anesthesia which is moderately competitive specialty as of late), your CV and board scores during your time at ICOM are going to be dependent on the work that you put in. Hope that helps!

Yeah those are like top tier competitive specialties. Would be very hard to match even coming from a MD school. If thats something you want to do you're gonna have to start networking and doing research early to start building your CV and then when it comes times for boards take step and level and knock them both out of the park. Even then it isnt a guarantee and would probably worth applying to a back up specialty just in case. I think there was one or two ortho people that matched ortho last year and I know the few people that are applying it in my class this year are doing auditions to increase their chances. Personally, I recommend taking step 1/2 and level 1/2 regardless cuz its the same material (plus the opp stuff for level) and that way you keep all your doors open in case you change your mind down the road about your specialty. Also I don't feel like coming from ICOM has hindered me in anyway applying this year (I applied Anesthesia which is moderately competitive specialty as of late), your CV and board scores during your time at ICOM are going to be dependent on the work that you put in. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering what are the research opportunities at ICOM to even try and match in these specialties? I talk to some students and it seems it is rather hard to find opportunities to find a lab. Perhaps trying to find some clinical labs at Idaho state might work.

I've linked the library's research section below since it goes over the internal programs. The Q3 2022 Catalyst (I'm not direct linking a PDF) goes over examples of what students did over the past summer. If you absolutely need to find something tied to the specialty you might need to shop around, but I don't remember what St. Alphonsus offered last year other than that there were a lot of neurology studies.

Adding to the question of matching into competitive specialties, it would be beneficial to take both the COMLEX and USLME exams right? That is what I have heard from multiple people. I have also heard that getting a very high score on the level 2/step 2 exams are crucial to matching into a competitive residency as well. Not a student there (yet) but I feel as if you will be able to find research opportunities if you have the determination to do so. And of course LOR's and audition rotations assumingly play a large role. Overall seems like there is much more work to do regarding matching into a competitive specialty but definitely seems attainable.
Your biggest factors for most specialties are passing both STEP and COMLEX (unless FM) and your rotation grades and MSPE.

Congrats on your acceptance! If anyone else has questions or wants to know about the school / rotations, feel free to message me.
Currently a 4th year, going through the mass of residency interviews galore but more than happy to answer whatever you might have.

Reactions: 2 users
A today, interviewed 12/5 as well!

Reactions: 1 users
Invited to interview for the waitlist today
Complete back in mid-August

Accepted 12/16, II 12/5
Oos but targeted 5

Theres a 2027 accepted student page on FB now