2022-2023 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to the person accepted above!!!

Can we get a WL roll call going on this thread to gauge how many of us are holding on with the intent to enroll? I’ll go first - WL 2/14 ii
I was wl, interviewed on 1/24

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

Can we get a WL roll call going on this thread to gauge how many of us are holding on with the intent to enroll? I’ll go first - WL 2/14 ii
WL- 12/2 interview

There's no way everyone on the waitlist is gonna see this post or even use SDN lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There's no way everyone on the waitlist is gonna see this post or even use SDN lol

Agreed haha. However as things start moving along even having an idea of how many of us in the thread are waiting and then reporting WL -> A can provide a rough* sense of movement the next couple months. For those waiting on their first A or those committing to another school by 5/15 with intent to enroll in KCU instead, this is just another way to manage chronic application anxiety and avoid compulsively checking in (speaking for myself at least lol)

WL from 9/15 interview

Did any of you see an option on the survey of whether or not you submitted an LOI?
I know that in last year’s thread the survey asked if they submitted an LOI or not. When I looked into my own survey I didn’t see that option but I hope I didn’t accidentally miss it.

Did any of you see an option on the survey of whether or not you submitted an LOI?
I know that in last year’s thread the survey asked if they submitted an LOI or not. When I looked into my own survey I didn’t see that option but I hope I didn’t accidentally miss it.
I did not see that option either

I've got a whole other laundry list of problems with this school which I'm too lazy to type out in this post, but long story short, if you want to go to medical school and feel some semblance of sanity, try your damn hardest to get into an MD school. DO schools just have too much baggage (some more than others of course). If I was at an MD school, I would be killing it right now and so would most of my classmates.
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Not a KCU student, but a DO student. We do not have a lot of these issues here at my school. Your issues are mostly institutional, not DO vs MD. I'm not too surprised though, as KCU has a reputation for having a difficult curriculum - many ppl I know chose to go to a different place vs KCU due to this. Obviously I'm biased because I only know non-KCU students.

This is not meant to bash KCU. It's still a established institution with GME affiliations and solid showings in the Match.

Edit: I also think you guys have a slightly fairer tuition compared to other (private) places.

similar situation. Does anyone have advice on this? How do people handle starting orientation at one school and then potentially getting off a waitlist at another school? (especially one in another state)
Current M3 but during our 2-week orientation one of the people in my orientation group disappeared after the first week. He had gotten off one of the waitlists at an MD school in California and decided to go there instead. I still see him posting things about his life in the warmth of cali. I'm fairly certain any and all loans are refundable other than the deposits of course and likely having to break a lease at an apartment. Overall it sounds stressful but definitely worth it in his case to be at an MD school and be closer to home. Also, the other way around there was definitely 1 person in my class who got off the waitlist the weekend before classes started like after the 2-week orientation so they had 2 days to move to KC and get ready to start on Monday. They spent the first week or 2 in a hotel while finding an apartment. Anything is possible!

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Not a KCU student, but a DO student. We do not have a lot of these issues here at my school. Your issues are mostly institutional, not DO vs MD. I'm not too surprised though, as KCU has a reputation for having a difficult curriculum - many ppl I know chose to go to a different place vs KCU due to this. Obviously I'm biased because I only know non-KCU students.

This is not meant to bash KCU. It's still a established institution with GME affiliations and solid showings in the Match.

Edit: I also think you guys have a slightly fairer tuition compared to other (private) places.

His complaints are little exaggerated but with a hint of truth to them. It's true that the scheduling is horrendous and our curriculum is more difficult than most DO programs, but that's reflected in KCU's board pass rates and matches. Out of the 270 or so that the KC campus started with, we've probably lost like 10-15 or so so far for personal reasons or having to repeat the year etc. In such a large class, that's not bad. In terms of connections, resources, match rates, board pass rates, and teaching as little of OMM as possible at a DO program, there's no doubt in my mind that KCU is one of the better DO schools. I personally have a lot of complaints with the school but every school has its problems.

As always, take what I say and anything you read on here with a grain of salt. These are just anecdotes, people

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Waitlisted, interviewed on 9/20

His complaints are little exaggerated but with a hint of truth to them. It's true that the scheduling is horrendous and our curriculum is more difficult than most DO programs, but that's reflected in KCU's board pass rates and matches. Out of the 270 or so that the KC campus started with, we've probably lost like 10-15 or so so far for personal reasons or having to repeat the year etc. In such a large class, that's not bad. In terms of connections, resources, match rates, board pass rates, and teaching as little of OMM as possible at a DO program, there's no doubt in my mind that KCU is one of the better DO schools. I personally have a lot of complaints with the school but every school has its problems.

As always, take what I say and anything you read on here with a grain of salt. These are just anecdotes, people
I would consider reading this prior to attending KCU. It is true that the scheduling is terrible. The scheduling is created based on what is easiest for administration, and does not account at all for the well-being of the students. As said previously, the curriculum is tough, but based on board statistics, KCU does a good job preparing its students for boards. BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT. Before attending KCU, you need to know that the administration does not care about you as a student. You are a number and they care about you passing boards for the sake of the schools statistics. Their "punishment" when it comes to things such as tardiness is damaging your grades. They do this without question. I have had classmates who's class percentage was docked for missing a "required activity". It turned out that this student was not required to be there, however, they chose to dock their grade anyway. They tell their students that board studying is more important than going home because of deaths in your family (this is not a joke). The school has many Incredible professors, but these other factors should be considered when applying/accepting. You better be in a great place mentally and be able to put up with loads of BS if you plan on attending.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted from waitlist! But no scholarship money? Anyone know how this school compares to DMU?

Last edited:
I would consider reading this prior to attending KCU. It is true that the scheduling is terrible. The scheduling is created based on what is easiest for administration, and does not account at all for the well-being of the students. As said previously, the curriculum is tough, but based on board statistics, KCU does a good job preparing its students for boards. BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT. Before attending KCU, you need to know that the administration does not care about you as a student. You are a number and they care about you passing boards for the sake of the schools statistics. Their "punishment" when it comes to things such as tardiness is damaging your grades. They do this without question. I have had classmates who's class percentage was docked for missing a "required activity". It turned out that this student was not required to be there, however, they chose to dock their grade anyway. They tell their students that board studying is more important than going home because of deaths in your family (this is not a joke). The school has many Incredible professors, but these other factors should be considered when applying/accepting. You better be in a great place mentally and be able to put up with loads of BS if you plan on attending.
I have not had this experience at all. I feel very well cared for at KCU. If you are a prospective student, please know that the majority of students are very happy at KCU - everybody can find something to complain about but that does not reflect the entire institution.

Reactions: 8 users
I have not had this experience at all. I feel very well cared for at KCU. If you are a prospective student, please know that the majority of students are very happy at KCU - everybody can find something to complain about but that does not reflect the entire institution.
Why is it always the accounts with no post history that post these negative posts...?

At this point in the cycle, most prospective students viewing these threads are either on the waitlist or have just been accepted. Posts that are extremely negative honestly don't do much good, and a student who is just hoping to go somewhere for medical school seeing "KCU sucks, try your best to get into an MD school" is just discouraging for the sake of discouragement.

Reactions: 10 users
Why is it always the accounts with no post history that post these negative posts...?
I have never used SDN except for browsing the forums while I was waiting on secondaries, interviews, etc., that does not mean, however, that the information that I am providing is invalid. I and many of my classmates have had negative experiences while attending this school. As I highlighted above, the school is not all bad, and there are many things I enjoy about the school, but I felt that pre-med students interested in this school deserve to know the good, as well as the bad experiences that we have had.

I have never used SDN except for browsing the forums while I was waiting on secondaries, interviews, etc., that does not mean, however, that the information that I am providing is invalid. I and many of my classmates have had negative experiences while attending this school. As I highlighted above, the school is not all bad, and there are many things I enjoy about the school, but I felt that pre-med students interested in this school deserve to know the good, as well as the bad experiences that we have had.
There are roughly 800 students between class of '25 and '26 and only a few people on here are complaining. I am very sorry that you are not having an optimal experience, but I do not think your opinion reflects the large majority of students.

There are roughly 800 students between class of '25 and '26 and only a few people on here are complaining. I am very sorry that you are not having an optimal experience, but I do not think your opinion reflects the large majority of students.
I don't imagine forum posts on SDN are representative of the KCU experience as a whole. I'm not going to argue, I only came to this site to share my own personal experiences, however, I can assure you that these views are not a small minority. I would suggest you speak with SGA if you truly don't believe this.

I'm quite new to this, but how exactly does KCU's waitlist work? Are students picked purely in a random manner?

I'm quite new to this, but how exactly does KCU's waitlist work? Are students picked purely in a random manner?
It is not random at all. I'm not sure anyone knows the exact specifics, but from what I have heard, KCU will pick off of the waitlist based on the student they lost from the cohort. They want their class to be the sum of a lot of different experiences, values, and types of people (introverts, extroverts, leaders, braniacs, etc) and from my understanding will choose based on this.

Reactions: 5 users
It is not random at all. I'm not sure anyone knows the exact specifics, but from what I have heard, KCU will pick off of the waitlist based on the student they lost from the cohort. They want their class to be the sum of a lot of different experiences, values, and types of people (introverts, extroverts, leaders, braniacs, etc) and from my understanding will choose based on this.
Gotcha, thank you!

Received a physical letter asking to apply to their masters program dated from early April. Not sure if this is a polite rejection or if it’s something they just send out to everyone. Already have a masters degree sooo yeah.

• Wow
Received a physical letter asking to apply to their masters program dated from early April. Not sure if this is a polite rejection or if it’s something they just send out to everyone. Already have a masters degree sooo yeah.
What’s the wording in the letter like? I would think if they send a rejection, it’s a clear rejection…maybe it was sent by mistake?

For any current students, is it worth it to do the PASS mentor program? I really like the idea of it and want to do it but the way the email constantly reiterates that it’s a year long commitment makes it seem like there’s a catch or something. Please let me know if I’m reading it wrong.

For any current students, is it worth it to do the PASS mentor program? I really like the idea of it and want to do it but the way the email constantly reiterates that it’s a year long commitment makes it seem like there’s a catch or something. Please let me know if I’m reading it wrong.
I did it and I didn't even get matched until the end of the first semester. I would recommend it though - it's good to connect with the second years.

Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone answer these questions pleaseee

- When do we get our KCU email address (need if for the PASS mentorship I guess)

- I’m really clueless on loans and financial aid. I submitted my FAFSA a while ago and listed KCU. When do we take out loans and how do we know how much for? Does KCU send us something or is it on FAFSA that just offers us loans??

• Hmm
That's actually a new program starting with the new class (i.e. you guys). We did have something similar where they matched us with 2nd year mentors, but I think the PASS thing is somewhat more structured. I would recommend it though because connecting with a 2nd year is pretty valuable for getting specific tips about each block imo.

Can anyone answer these questions pleaseee

- When do we get our KCU email address (need if for the PASS mentorship I guess)

- I’m really clueless on loans and financial aid. I submitted my FAFSA a while ago and listed KCU. When do we take out loans and how do we know how much for? Does KCU send us something or is it on FAFSA that just offers us loans??
Not sure you get your email until orientation but it should just be [email protected]

I just also received the same letter about applying to their masters program. Waitlisted 9/13 II session!

Any chance of getting off the waitlist at this point? I have one more acceptance but this is my top choice. Interviews February 24, sent in letter of intent already.

Any chance of getting off the waitlist at this point? I have one more acceptance but this is my top choice. Interviews February 24, sent in letter of intent already.

People will be accepted off the waitlist at KCU until the beginning of classes in late July

Has anyone had a hard time getting into the accepted students FB group? I've been left on pending for a few days now, and not entirely sure it's the right group. I can't find any links in emails regarding a fb group.

Friend of mine was accepted off it 1-2 weeks before orientation started last year

so if someone only has 1 acceptance right now, will they be able to come off the waitlist for KCU after May 15th, or do they have to stick with that 1 acceptance?
You can still come off waitlist after may 15th

is there any way to make sure we have met all the matriculation requirements before the 5/1 deadline? do we just check the 'Actions' folder on Workday, and if its empty, does it mean we have met all matriculation requirements?