2022-2023 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Elmira, NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlist or Alternate List?
I think I remember them saying that waitlist and alternate list are used interchangeably at LECOM during the info session. why they use both instead of sticking to one? I'm just as lost as you 😅

Members don't see this ad.

I think I remember them saying that waitlist and alternate list are used interchangeably at LECOM during the info session. why they use both instead of sticking to one? I'm just as lost as you 😅
They sent out Alternate and Wait List last year too. If they were the same, they would have made just one letter already, but no, so I'm suspecting some malarkey at play

My theory:

Waitlist: High-priority waitlist
Alternate List: Regular waitlist

But hey... That's just a theory...
an Admissions Theory

Reactions: 1 user
It’s day 14 for me and I still have no letter. Did anyone try calling them after 14 days to see what’s up. If so, did they just tell you the decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my information session tomorrow, but haven't received a zoom link. Is this typical? When should I expect the link/where can I find it? Thanks!

I have my information session tomorrow, but haven't received a zoom link. Is this typical? When should I expect the link/where can I find it? Thanks!
yeah you should've received it. look through your spam folder (that's where it was sitting for me and many others) and if you still can't find it, I'd email adcom for the link

For the people went on the tour, what did people wear? Do I have to go full out professional or will a dress shirt/pant combo suffice?

For the people went on the tour, what did people wear? Do I have to go full out professional or will a dress shirt/pant combo suffice?
For LECOM I think the dress shirt and pant will work

Can i do my Virtual Video Recording the day before my zoom session (Wednesday)? First email said "our video interview must be completed in advance of your Zoom Information Session."

The second email said:

Virtual Video Recording via Admit VideoDue Monday by 8 am (EST) of Informational Session Week

Can i do my Virtual Video Recording the day before my zoom session (Wednesday)? First email said "our video interview must be completed in advance of your Zoom Information Session."

The second email said:

Virtual Video Recording via Admit VideoDue Monday by 8 am (EST) of Informational Session Week
if info session is on a friday, its due the monday before meanibng like 4-5 days before.

going to tour next week. do i dress casual? also how was it like if anyone’s been

Are there any students here that I can get in contact with? I have some questions that I would love to get answered by someone that is currently a student in the program!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
Late update--posted this by mistake at the Erie Campus:
Info Sesh: 11/11
Got the portal change sometime between Jan 6-8 (unsure when it changed) with the 14-day notification.
Received an email on Jan 10 confirming A! :)

Hi!
Got the portal change sometime between Jan 6-8 (unsure when it changed) with the 14-day notification.
Congrats!! Do you mind if I PM you?

Hi!
congrats!!! man, they're still sleeping on my decision 😅😅

Are there any students here that I can get in contact with? I have some questions that I would love to get answered by someone that is currently a student in the program!
Messaged you! If anyone wants to talk to a current student, feel free to message me too.

Also just wanted to clarify - per admissions, Alternate List and Wait List are indeed the same thing.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know what the informational session is like? Is it a group-based thing with like a few other students where they go over what the school is like and what you should expect?

Hey y’all, recently got an II here! Unfortunately when I was choosing information session times they are booked all the way until March :/ Does anyone know if there is a waitlist to get your info session date moved up?

Hey y’all, recently got an II here! Unfortunately when I was choosing information session times they are booked all the way until March :/ Does anyone know if there is a waitlist to get your info session date moved up?
Hey! Same thing here. Got an II here in December and my info session isnt until next week lol.

How did you feel about the recorded interview? I’ve never had one like this before?
haven't done it yet, I'm gonna do it this Friday. They're due before the Monday of the week of the info session

I still haven't gotten the link for my informational session on Friday... should I email them or wait until tomorrow?

I still haven't gotten the link for my informational session on Friday... should I email them or wait until tomorrow?
they usually send it the day before. I'd wait until tomorrow around noon. if you still haven't gotten it, definitely email or call them

Has anyone gotten accepted recently? I feel like it has only been waitlist/alternates which is a little discouraging

Just to confirm: no cadavers at this school, correct? It’s the virtual thing? How do current students like this?

How is the second part of the interview? Is it just a group presentation? I have some questions prepared for staff. Is there anything else I need to know or prepare for?

How is the second part of the interview? Is it just a group presentation? I have some questions prepared for staff. Is there anything else I need to know or prepare for?
Just an information session with presentations. You will get to ask questions and pick your campus and pathway of preference between Erie, Seton Hill, and Elmira, and chose between PBL, DSP, and LDP

How does it work? Is it like VR?
you work directly from a photographic cadaver book. There is no VR component, and practicals consist of photo IDs from that cadaver book. Many students invest in "Complete Anatomy" to aid in their studies, but it plays no official role within the anatomy course.

you work directly from a photographic cadaver book. There is no VR component, and practicals consist of photo IDs from that cadaver book. Many students invest in "Complete Anatomy" to aid in their studies, but it plays no official role within the anatomy course.
Hi, can you speak more about the curriculum at Elmira? How often are exams? Do you feel that you are being adequately prepared for the boards? Also, how receptive are the professors when asking for additional help? Thankful for any insight you can provide. :)

Hi, can you speak more about the curriculum at Elmira? How often are exams? Do you feel that you are being adequately prepared for the boards? Also, how receptive are the professors when asking for additional help? Thankful for any insight you can provide. :)
Overall the curriculum is great! PBL is the best for both studying at your own pace and starting board studying from day one (constantly using board review sources to master material for PBL exams). After Anatomy (ends in mid-october), your schedule really opens up. Exams once pbl starts are usually 3 exams a semester (these are huge exams; 200 questions, 4 hrs). In a way its like taking a mini board exam, which can be helpful. While i've yet to take boards, i certainly feel like im being prepared for them. PBL is what you make it. If you're not putting in the effort it's going to show. Professors are extremely open to helping and there are also tutors available ready to help out for those struggling or looking for clarification. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 5 users
Overall the curriculum is great! PBL is the best for both studying at your own pace and starting board studying from day one (constantly using board review sources to master material for PBL exams). After Anatomy (ends in mid-october), your schedule really opens up. Exams once pbl starts are usually 3 exams a semester (these are huge exams; 200 questions, 4 hrs). In a way its like taking a mini board exam, which can be helpful. While i've yet to take boards, i certainly feel like im being prepared for them. PBL is what you make it. If you're not putting in the effort it's going to show. Professors are extremely open to helping and there are also tutors available ready to help out for those struggling or looking for clarification. Hope this helps.

This was very helpful. Thank you! Do you enjoy the campus environment? Is there a good community and atmosphere between students?

just a session where they read off to you

You can message me. I'm a current LECOM-Elmira student

This was very helpful. Thank you! Do you enjoy the campus environment? Is there a good community and atmosphere between students?
I went on the tour and found the campus and the student population to be very tight knit. There's an apartment next to the campus, where it is comprised of mostly LECOM students and I saw a bunch of students just working together in the study room there. I would highly encourage you to go on one of the tours that they offer if you're able.

Heard they've interviewed over 1,200+ students over an informational session. When I heard that I mentally gave up on my chances of getting in lol

Heard they've interviewed over 1,200+ students over an informational session. When I heard that I mentally gave up on my chances of getting in lol
Did you hear this just for Elmira? Don't forget LECOM has 4 campuses so they will interview more than most other schools

Did you hear this just for Elmira? Don't forget LECOM has 4 campuses so they will interview more than most other schools
Someone else can correct me but I assumed it was just for Elmira from the way the lady leading the meeting was talking about it with the associate dean. Since they're having these info sessions every Friday and each session has like 40 students+, they could interview like 160+ students in a given month and in just 5 months get like 800 interviews in. I'm not too sure though since they kept switching talking about Elmira and LECOM has a whole frequently, so if someone knows for sure it'd be nice to know that I got it/heard it wrong!

Also smtg I learned: it's El-my-ruh. I've been saying El-mee-ruh lol

Someone else can correct me but I assumed it was just for Elmira from the way the lady leading the meeting was talking about it with the associate dean. Since they're having these info sessions every Friday and each session has like 40 students+, they could interview like 160+ students in a given month and in just 5 months get like 800 interviews in. I'm not too sure though since they kept switching talking about Elmira and LECOM has a whole frequently, so if someone knows for sure it'd be nice to know that I got it/heard it wrong!

Also smtg I learned: it's El-my-ruh. I've been saying El-mee-ruh lol
I remember this also, the dean for Elmira said something similar