2022-2023 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @icedsoylatte for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community. (1000 characters)

2. How will MCW uniquely prepare you for your future goals? (1000 characters)

3. Recount a time when you made a decision you regret. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience? (2000 characters)

4. The Medical College of Wisconsin is committed to educating health professionals who are dedicated to improving health equity across the diverse populations we serve. Share with us what you have learned or how you have grown through working with or serving people from cultural backgrounds or groups different than your own. How do you believe you can contribute to improving health equity or reducing health disparities as a physician? (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Medical College of Wisconsin Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Starting to prewrite secondaries, is MCW consistent from year to year?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey kids, incoming M1 here feel free to shoot me any questions!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting to prewrite secondaries, is MCW consistent from year to year?
I pre wrote mine from the 2020-2021 cycle, and it was very similar to the 2021-2022 cycle. Probably some differences, but I'd bet they'd be very similar this year

Hey kids, incoming M1 here feel free to shoot me any questions!
I was wondering if you could tell me about opportunities for community outreach for underserved/rural populations, and how students can find/participate in those. Also, could you tell me more about the Urban and Community Health Pathway?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received the MCW secondary yet? I saw that some people on Reddit had received it, but I haven't, so I was curious if others were in the same boat. I am an OOS, MD-applicant.

Has anyone received the MCW secondary yet? I saw that some people on Reddit had received it, but I haven't, so I was curious if others were in the same boat. I am an OOS, MD-applicant.
I have not received it yet, also OOS MD-applicant.

Congrats! Would you be willing to share the prompts? Did they change from last year?
I believe they are the same!

1. Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community. (1000 characters limit)

2. How will MCW uniquely prepare you for your future goals? (1000 characters limit)

3. Recount a time when you made a decision you regret. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience? (2000 characters limit)

4. The Medical College of Wisconsin is committed to educating health professionals who are dedicated to improving health equity across the diverse populations we serve. Share with us what you have learned or how you have grown through working with or serving people from cultural backgrounds or groups different than your own. How do you believe you can contribute to improving health equity or reducing health disparities as a physician? (2000 characters limit)

@wysdoc regarding the prompts listed in the top post, I believe the character limits for questions one and two are 1000 char each, not 2000 each. In the past, Q's 1&2 were combined into a single 2000 char prompt but last year they got split into 2 halves of 1000 each. @icedsoylatte can you confirm that? I haven't actually gotten this year's prompts yet

moderator note: I corrected the character limits in the first post

Last edited by a moderator:
@wysdoc regarding the prompts listed in the top post, I believe the character limits for questions one and two are 1000 char each, not 2000 each. In the past, Q's 1&2 were combined into a single 2000 char prompt but last year they got split into 2 halves of 1000 each. @icedsoylatte can you confirm that? I haven't actually gotten this year's prompts yet
Thanks, anyone else get the secondary yet & can help us out getting the word counts?

Thanks, anyone else get the secondary yet & can help us out getting the word counts?

Wow speak of the devil, just got them. The prompts including the 1000 character limits for Q 1&2 listed by @icedsoylatte are exactly what I see, including for MSTP.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the MCW website it says "Secondary applications will be sent to all eligible applicants upon MCW’s receipt of your verified AMCAS application. If you received an email with login credentials for the MCW Secondary Application, please complete the application. If you have not received that email, or a communication that you are ineligible to apply, please check your spam or junk mail folders and contact the Office of Admissions."

At what point should we contact admissions if we haven't received any communication at all?

On the MCW website it says "Secondary applications will be sent to all eligible applicants upon MCW’s receipt of your verified AMCAS application. If you received an email with login credentials for the MCW Secondary Application, please complete the application. If you have not received that email, or a communication that you are ineligible to apply, please check your spam or junk mail folders and contact the Office of Admissions."

At what point should we contact admissions if we haven't received any communication at all?
I still haven't received it either and was verified first day

OOS MD secondary received, 6/30 10:43 PM! AMCAS submitted 6/1, verified 6/17

In the other information selection, I checked several boxes on the "unique background and identities" question. When I did that, a text box appeared with a 2000-character limit. Since I already wrote a disadvantaged essay when I submitted my primary application, do you think it would be reasonable to copy and paste that into the text box?

I feel like there I have nothing else to say that is different from my disadvantage essay (which I think is really strong and my feedback concurs).

In the other information selection, I checked several boxes on the "unique background and identities" question. When I did that, a text box appeared with a 2000-character limit. Since I already wrote a disadvantaged essay when I submitted my primary application, do you think it would be reasonable to copy and paste that into the text box?

I feel like there I have nothing else to say that is different from my disadvantage essay (which I think is really strong and my feedback concurs).
Do not do this. It will be seen as "lazy"

I can't think of anything to say about a decision I regret, like I have done minor things I regret in the past but nothing worth writing about. Anyone else struggling with this?

I can't think of anything to say about a decision I regret, like I have done minor things I regret in the past but nothing worth writing about. Anyone else struggling with this?
I reworked one of my challenge/failure essays! Very applicable if you change up some of the words

OOS, secondary received 7/8. Submitted 6/8 and processed 7/7.

Does anyone know if we have to have our CASPER scores in before they will consider us for an interview?

Does anyone know if we have to have our CASPER scores in before they will consider us for an interview?
I believe so but correct me if I'm wrong cause your secondary won't be completed until they have received your CASPER score

How long did it take for everyone's CASPER score to be marked as complete with MCW? The other schools I am applying to all say they have received it, but MCW does not... Does it typically take a little longer for them to update this?

How long did it take for everyone's CASPER score to be marked as complete with MCW? The other schools I am applying to all say they have received it, but MCW does not... Does it typically take a little longer for them to update this?
I submitted my secondary 10 days ago and it still says that my CASPer has not been received even though every other school has

I submitted my secondary 10 days ago and it still says that my CASPer has not been received even though every other school has
That is interesting. Mine was marked complete about 3 minutes after I submitted my secondary today.

Reactions: 2 users
OOS, Submitted secondary today 7/24, received 7/20

Does anyone know how strict MCW is on the letter of recommendations from 2 classroom professors? Long story short, I asked for an exemption for 1 of the 2 letters and it was not granted. However, they said my application would still be considered complete even if I submitted without. Is it worth applying?

Last edited:
Hello. are the 1000characters limit with spaces or without? I am guessing is with spaces just like most applications but wanted to double check.

For question 3 can I use an example of something that happened to me as a child that I only began to regret later on in life (high school?) or is this too far back? I was bullied for being bilingual in Chinese and refused to speak it again and ended up forgetting how to speak. It has been one of my biggest regrets.