2022-2023 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if second look is in-person or virtual?

In their last update email, they said they will continue sending IIs until early March so fingers crossed

Reactions: 3 users
i really want an ii here. i'm a third time applicant. i do have an A elsewhere but would love to go here :/

Reactions: 5 users
When does the cohort begin the program? Also does anybody know when the matriculating class of 2024 would start the program? Thank you in advance.

Sent mcw an email about giving your man a chance because I got nothing to lose

Reactions: 9 users
Anybody else who was complete late July/early August still waiting to hear back???

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else who was complete late July/early August still waiting to hear back???
I called admissions a few days ago and the woman I spoke with said they will possibly be interviewing until mid-March. She also mentioned interviews could extend to late March, but that depends on a variety of things (she didn’t elaborate lol). I’m just hoping those of us who haven’t heard anything are still being considered for II’s. I’m very close to losing my mind!!!

This was the response I got when I emailed them
“Thanks for your email and your interest in MCW! Your application is still in the review process. Unfortunately, we don’t have any other statusupdates for you at this time. We’re interviewing through March, so you could hear back any time between now and then.”

Has anyone who interviewed the week of 2/13 heard back yet? I remember them saying we could expect to hear from them by 2/27, but I doubt there will be any movement over the weekend

Has anyone who interviewed the week of 2/13 heard back yet? I remember them saying we could expect to hear from them by 2/27, but I doubt there will be any movement over the weekend
i interviewed beginning of feb and refresh my email every 10 seconds waiting 😢

Historically, As/Rd/WLs have been known to be released over several days (including over weekends)

Acceptance email this morning for the Milwaukee campus!

Acceptance to Milwaukee!! Interviewed 2/3!

Reactions: 4 users
Acceptance email to Milwaukee this morning!! Interviewed 02/03. Congrats everyone!

A this morning! Interviewed in late Jan. Congrats and best of luck to my potential future classmates! 🙌

• Love
Thank you! The only days left were 3/3 and 3/10. 3.3 uGPA 3.8GPA-MPH, D1 athlete, 4 pubs, 1k+ hrs clinical/volunteering/research. I did research at MCW for 2 yrs and have a letter from faculty. Sorry if this was an overshare just trying to give a well-rounded picture for you!
thanks you got this! hoping u get the A <3

Reactions: 1 user
Does MCW usually send out similar decisions all at the same time? Interviewed late Jan and feeling pretty pessimistic about my chances at an A by tomorrow :/

• Care
Hi everyone! Just got a II! So excited! Anyone that interviewed have any advice on interviewing? I would really appreciate it :) p.s I got an invite from the Milwaukee campus

Hi everyone! Just got a II! So excited! Anyone that interviewed have any advice on interviewing? I would really appreciate it :) p.s I got an invite from the Milwaukee campus
Congrats! If you don't mind, when were you complete? And what are the available interview dates?

congrats! could u share ur stats?

I just want to double down on this. They are trying to be more DE&I minded, but I know many people personally that attend this school across M1-M4 and they don't care for student's mental health in the way that they portray it. Sure they offer things like 4 free counselling sessions, but if you do need to take time off for whatever reason you have to repeat the entire year. Another example is they do this thing called REACH that is supposed to be for their mental health. But it's mandatory and long and students are stressed trying to study for multiple exams and do scholarly pathways work, but they are forced to sit through these meetings and if you miss one you get points taken away and some people had to write essays explaining why they'll never do that again. when in actuality, it would be better just to let them have the morning off to give them more time to study or catch up on errands.
I'll counter this, both agreeing and disagreeing. Things like REACH were implemented to help students who may not have strong friend groups or support systems, and only take up a couple hours each month or so (sometimes not even once a month). Other things are mandatory, such as wellness didactics and anatomy lab for first years, which are also a way of teaching students accountability and professionalism in a low stakes environment. If you don't show up to a mandatory session that everyone else took time out of their day to show up to, it speaks volumes about that individual student. Over the years I have personally complained about in-person things and how it may disrupt my workday for an hour, but MCW doesn't have required lectures or extensive in-person requirements besides preclinical skills, REACH, and labs. Those are, in my opinion, the bare minimum that students should be required to attend in order to better develop a support system of peers, work with people outside their circle, and develop leadership and teamwork skills even when it is slightly inconvenient to their schedule. MCW has many things to improve on, like all schools, but these few things are not the problem.

Also, as for taking a leave, that's the standard for schools. You miss several months and several classes, you're going to have to make them up--especially if curriculum is switching and the same classes in the same format are not offered next year. Not sure what people expect to happen, but this is standard.

Reactions: 7 users
I'll counter this, both agreeing and disagreeing. Things like REACH were implemented to help students who may not have strong friend groups or support systems, and only take up a couple hours each month or so (sometimes not even once a month). Other things are mandatory, such as wellness didactics and anatomy lab for first years, which are also a way of teaching students accountability and professionalism in a low stakes environment. If you don't show up to a mandatory session that everyone else took time out of their day to show up to, it speaks volumes about that individual student. Over the years I have personally complained about in-person things and how it may disrupt my workday for an hour, but MCW doesn't have required lectures or extensive in-person requirements besides preclinical skills, REACH, and labs. Those are, in my opinion, the bare minimum that students should be required to attend in order to better develop a support system of peers, work with people outside their circle, and develop leadership and teamwork skills even when it is slightly inconvenient to their schedule. MCW has many things to improve on, like all schools, but these few things are not the problem.

Also, as for taking a leave, that's the standard for schools. You miss several months and several classes, you're going to have to make them up--especially if curriculum is switching and the same classes in the same format are not offered next year. Not sure what people expect to happen, but this is standard.
I love this take

Great points! I am interested to see how the mandatory patient based discussions they’re implementing as well as spiral weeks will change things. Of course no med school is perfect but mcw is great!!

I was accepted over the weekend! MSTP status is unknown. Anybody have an idea as to when we would hear about that?

Reactions: 1 users