2022-2023 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM-PA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

What's the pro and con for select PCOM-PA only and select both locations? I don't know what to do.

I was struggling between this too, but reflected a bit recently about where I REALLY can afford to live (distance from family, etc.), and that helped me determine that I don't want to be at the PCOM south georgia campus. I would only apply to both if you are really OK with being at either location.
Definitely. You make so many connections with people at the school you attend and some may offer you a position after Residency. I firmly believe you should attend a school in an area you would not mind living in for the foreseeable future. This may not be a high percentage but I do think it is something to consider from the point of application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today's the day our primaries send—PCOM is my target school—wish me luck!
today may be the day AACOMAS makes primaries visible to schools but it does not mean they are ready to download the primaries. They may not begin to download for weeks as they are still seating the incoming class, updating their software for any changes AACOMAS may have made from last year and they are reviewing and possibly revamping their process. It is also vacation time for staff and they truly do need a full staff to process applications so patience is the name of the game.

today may be the day AACOMAS makes primaries visible to schools but it does not mean they are ready to download the primaries. They may not begin to download for weeks as they are still seating the incoming class, updating their software for any changes AACOMAS may have made from last year and they are reviewing and possibly revamping their process. It is also vacation time for staff and they truly do need a full staff to process applications so patience is the name of the game.
That's true, "hurry up and wait!"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Can I submit a similar essay to both the Georgia and South Georgia campus locations? They seem to have very similar values/opportunities and have different applications on AACOMAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, do I need to submit my primary to each PCOM or can I just do it to one and it goes to all?

Hey everyone, do I need to submit my primary to each PCOM or can I just do it to one and it goes to all?
There are 3 PCOM schools and 2 applications: 1)PCOM app allows you to apply to PCOM-PA and/or PCOM-South Georgia
2) PCOM Georgia app

There are 3 PCOM schools and 2 applications: 1)PCOM app allows you to apply to PCOM-PA and/or PCOM-South Georgia
2) PCOM Georgia app
so I need to submit my primary to PCOM and PCOM-GA?

so I need to submit my primary to PCOM and PCOM-GA?

Yeah it’s two application.
One for Philly that has the option for South Georgia in the same application. Be aware that it’s two essays for that one. One each.

The other application is for Georgia which also has an essay.

no one's gotten an email after submitting primary right?

How did everyone approach the “ identify your deficiencies “ question if you answered it?

Looking at last years threads it seems that they didn’t send the secondary app fee out until 8/24 and the first II didn’t go out till like 10/7. Not sure if there were COVID related delays but that might be their timeline in general

Looking at last years threads it seems that they didn’t send the secondary app fee out until 8/24 and the first II didn’t go out till like 10/7. Not sure if there were COVID related delays but that might be their timeline in general
Taking their sweet time 😅

Separate question - are there any resources out there to find DOs to shadow/support for a potential LOR? Have been looking for one in my area for a while now, but have been unsuccessful in finding a DO to work under (based in GA). Thanks for your advice!

Taking their sweet time 😅
Remember once they begin the download of apps everyone wants to know why they are not complete. It is summer and many are on vacation. Still preparing for the incoming class and orientation so they begin a little later. After getting apps completed they need to be reviewed for invitations to interview. So they prefer a full staff on site to work the process. Better to delay the beginning of the process than to have applicants emailing and calling wondering why they are not complete. It is a long complex process for the admissions department. Patience is the key to this game. Every school has their own way of working the process.

Reactions: 1 users
Separate question - are there any resources out there to find DOs to shadow/support for a potential LOR? Have been looking for one in my area for a while now, but have been unsuccessful in finding a DO to work under (based in GA). Thanks for your advice!

No :/ i don’t think i’ve come across any official resources. I shadowed one who was a family friend. I’ve also shadowed a DO through my pediatricians office, worth it to ask your personal doctors. Your best bet will be cold calling private primary care practices. I’m from the philly area and I’d be willing to give you two doctor contacts i’ve shadowed here. However I don’t know anyone in GA.

do y'all think I have to address my 124 CARS score in my deficiencies or should i just focus on my trash undergrad gpa and how i improved a lot with masters program ?

do y'all think I have to address my 124 CARS score in my deficiencies or should i just focus on my trash undergrad gpa and how i improved a lot with masters program ?

same CARS score here lol, i chose to go the route of explaining a W

Hello, future doctors! I applied last year (as a reapplicant) and was accepted! I will be starting at PCOM-PA in less than a month
I am happy to answer any questions and if I don’t know the answer, I’ll try reaching out to an upperclassman! I’m most familiar with the application process since I haven’t actually started yet but I have learned a lot about classes from upperclassmen already.
Here are my stats from when I applied:
cGPA: 3.77
sGPA: 3.61
MCAT: 499 (123/129/123/124), 502 (126/126/125/125), and finally 510 (126/128/126/130)
Volunteering: 70 hours
Shadowing: 114 hours
Clinical experience: 6,510 hours (this is probably way above average for my class, do not panic if you have less)
Primary submitted: 7/27/2021
Secondary received: 8/24/2021
Secondary submitted: 8/24/2021
Interview invitation: 10/28/2021
Interview date: 11/17/2021
Decision date: 12/17/2021
I am also happy to edit any primaries or “secondaries” (the question is embedded in the primary, the secondary is really just a fee to pay) and help with some mock interviews. I would love to be able to provide these services for free but time is a commodity in medical school. Reach out to me if these services would interest you and we can discuss a price that is comfortable for both of us.
Finally, congratulations on making it to this point, stay patient, and don’t lose hope during the cycle (some of my classmates were only accepted in the last couple of weeks!). You are so much more than just your statistics so don’t forget to share your story with med schools!

Reactions: 14 users
In PCOM's virtual info session right now. Emails to access our portals are going out this week! Interviews from September to April.

Reactions: 19 users
Just got an email from them and they’re playing with my feelings lol thought it was an II

In PCOM's virtual info session right now. Emails to access our portals are going out this week! Interviews from September to April.

Did you get an invite to this info session? Cus I haven’t gotten a single email from them.

I don’t even get the promo emails lmao

Reactions: 14 users
so curious as to when they're gonna start sending emails

just got destroyed by PCOM with my inbox blowing up

Reactions: 2 users
I thought usually committee letters fufill the letter of rec requirements. But they are saying in addition to the committee letter you need 2 more? Is this normal for DO schools?

when i log into pcom and georgia, it says fee waiver received and no need to submit fee. but i don't qualify for a fee waiver lol.
for south georgia it said pay and i just paid